TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Raw - September 22, 2008

World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho experienced his share of mixed emotions on the last edition of Raw. First, Jericho escaped with a win in a tough Steel Cage Match against CM Punk. But for the World Heavyweight Champion, any thought of celebration was quickly perished by Raw General Manager Mike Adamle, who unveiled Jericho's next tall order: A Ladder Match at No Mercy against none other than his bitter rival, Shawn Michaels. (Watch the announcement) With this week marking the 800th edition of Monday Night Raw, how will Jericho and Michaels show the WWE Universe their deeply held disgust for one another? And just how much more personal will this grudge match grow between these arch-enemies?

In other Raw news, GM Adamle also arranged a No Mercy match-up between JBL and Batista, the winner earning an opportunity in the future to compete against Jericho – or whoever the champion may be – for the World Heavyweight Title.

To JBL, the ends always justify the means. With that in mind, the question needs to be asked, to what depths is the Longhorn Loudmouth willing to sink in order to gain an advantage over Batista at No Mercy and an opportunity at World Heavyweight gold?

Also in action, Candice Michelle asserted her status in the Diva roster last week. The Candy-coated Diva dominated Jillian as Women's Champion Beth Phoenix looked on from ringside. After notching the win, Candice called The Glamazon inside the ring. As Phoenix climbed through the ropes, however, Candice showed her resourcefulness, dropkicking her rival to the floor.

Just how else might Candice assert herself in the weeks leading up to No Mercy? And how will The Glamazon capitalize on the size and strength advantage that has served her so well?

And what's the deal with Charlie Haas? The guy has been impersonating various Superstars for weeks. Who's going to be next on the chameleon's list?

To find out the answer to these questions and more, make sure to tune into Monday Night Raw at 9/8 CT only on USA Network.

With the ass whooping they took from MNF last week, not to mention almost all the network stations are airing first run episodes of prime time shows, I'm surprised they didn't hype up The 800th edition of Raw more. I.E.-Making it a 3 hour show with stars from all 3 brands present.

I hope JBL and Batista deliver some hot back-and-forth promo segments building up their No Mercy match, because its hard to get excited about this feud knowing what the in-ring results are likely going to be. Bats no-selling JBL on the mic and taking him down a peg could be fun, he really impressed me last week with his performance holding court in the ring.

Candy-Coated Diva?

Rainbow Haired Warrior?

Come on, E...

Anyway, gonna have to DVR this one, Heroes two hour season premiere tonight!!!

They so need to have a Skittles themed stable.

Candy-Coated Diva?

Rainbow Haired Warrior?

Come on, E...

Anyway, gonna have to DVR this one, Heroes two hour season premiere tonight!!!

They so need to have a Skittles themed stable.

Too bad Jeff Hardy's hair isn't rainbow-colored right now.

I hope Charlie starts impersonating former superstars too rather than just current ones. He's going to run out of good ones if he doesn't, and I really want to see Muhammad Haasan.

What about Iron Sheik?

Come on, remember how Vince was near death?

If they're gonna have Vince 'nearly die' in the same way a TNA employee DID die, then I dont see how they'd see this as bad taste.

I still can't believe that.

You know, a part of me would like them to put the belt on Michaels one more time as part of this Jericho feud. If they want to keep main eventing him in title matches then HBK does need to win the belt even if he jobs it back soon after.

I hope Charlie starts impersonating former superstars too rather than just current ones. He's going to run out of good ones if he doesn't, and I really want to see Muhammad Haasan.

What about Iron Sheik?

No. The Iron Haas sounds retarded.

Here's some matches announced for Raw (from wwe.com):

- Cryme Tyme vs. Miz & John Morrison.

- Kane vs. Evan Bourne.

- WWE Women's Champion Beth Phoenix vs. Kelly Kelly.

I have to admit some unease about Bourne having to face Kane. I hope that is more than just poor Matt Sydal getting beat down and selling wildly for Kane.

Bourne might even pick up a win with a Mysterio assist.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

At The ECW Tapings yesterday, Miz and Morrison challenged Ortiz and Bourne to a tag match. ECW GM Teddy Long simply said Bourne wasn't there. I'm guessing he'll take a beating tonight, and they'll add in on commentary that Bourne isn't there due to the ass kicking he got from Kane "yesterday."

I have to admit some unease about Bourne having to face Kane. I hope that is more than just poor Matt Sydal getting beat down and selling wildly for Kane.

It kinda need to be just that. Kane needs something to keep his 'monster' aura up, since he's spent the past couple of weeks selling weak looking headscissors and hurricanranas from a guy half his size.

A friend at work reminded me that Michaels hasn't been World Champion in six years.

That's somewhat unbelievable.

Jericho, having lost the Undisputed title at WM18 and winning the World title at Unforgiven this month, went 6 1/2 years between title reigns. And if you add up the time Michaels has missed over the last six years, it's gotta be pretty close to matching the amount of time Jericho missed when he left the company a couple years ago.

Other than Hogan getting a cup-of-coffee run in 2002 (his last WWE title run coming in 1993), I can't remember another span between title reigns longer than what Jericho pulled off. And a punch in the mouth for the first person to say Kane trumps it by winning the WWE title in 1998 and the ECW belt in 2008.

A friend at work reminded me that Michaels hasn't been World Champion in six years.

That's somewhat unbelievable.

Jericho, having lost the Undisputed title at WM18 and winning the World title at Unforgiven this month, went 6 1/2 years between title reigns. And if you add up the time Michaels has missed over the last six years, it's gotta be pretty close to matching the amount of time Jericho missed when he left the company a couple years ago.

Other than Hogan getting a cup-of-coffee run in 2002 (his last WWE title run coming in 1993), I can't remember another span between title reigns longer than what Jericho pulled off. And a punch in the mouth for the first person to say Kane trumps it by winning the WWE title in 1998 and the ECW belt in 2008.

Does Sting count if it is a different promotion? If so, he lost the NWA World Championship on January 11th, 1990 and never held the title again until October 22nd, 2006.

If you're good, you don't need a title to get and stay over.

I agree. I just think it's amazing that a guy can get a run, stay relevant for that long without the belt, then come around and win it again.