TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

600px-David_Byrne_and_Brian_Eno_--_Everything_That_Happens_Will_Happen_Today_Album_Cover.jpg

hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=ltmi0sck

This is getting a lot of positive reviews, it seems, but I'm not as in love with it. Abandon any memories of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts; this is nothing like that. I think what it reminds me of the most is the Eno/Cale collab Wrong Way Up, the one Brian Eno album I couldn't be bothered to replace when my hard drive crashed. Byrne is on lead vocals all the way through, so more than anything else, it just feels like Talking Heads got old and complacent. "I Feel My Stuff" is my favorite song here, followed by "Strange Overtones." Not gonna lie, "Home" is pretty dull and scared me into thinking this would just be awful. It isn't awful, but it's not in the same stratosphere as the Eno tetralogy or the first five Talking Heads albums, of course. I kind of characterize Talking Heads music as an extremely introverted person breaking out of his shell, and Eno's music as retreating further inward. I don't think this one does either. It's as if the two negate one another.

"I Feel My Stuff" is my favorite song here, followed by "Strange Overtones." Not gonna lie, "Home" is pretty dull and scared me into thinking this would just be awful.

Haha I don't think our reactions to this record could be more different. I find "I Feel My Stuff" to be extremely tedious and that weird spoken-word interlude thing is just flat out embarrassing. Conversely, I think "Home" is about the best thing on there. "Strange Overtones" is ok. Pretty boring album, really. Maybe it's a grower???

Its definitely a grower.

And I just saw David Byrne on Sunday. He closed with "Feel My Stuff." It's even better live.

Okay quality but you can tell it was a good performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHTkOPvnO10

I didn't even know this was coming out until I had to Google the lyrics to "Big Blue Plymouth" and then I saw the interview Byrne did with the AV Club and assumed it would come out this month. I guess I'll officially start looking for it. I really wish I could have afforded tickets to see him up in Memphis.