TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 9/25 - 9/27

Looks like Wake Forest is going to lose to Navy.

Also if last week wasn't proof that maybe ECU wasn't that good, they are getting stomped by Houston this week.

Annnd that's the ballgame in Ann Arbor. Wisconsin does seem to have a habit of losing games just when people start to pay attention to them. This was an epic collapse today.

Wisconsin TD with 13 seconds left! 2 point try now... good but penalty on Wisconsin! Michigan got lucky as hell. Incomplete!

Seriously, has any Top 25 team won yet? Seems like there've been 8-9 ranked teams knocked off today.

Somewhat exciting in I-AA land today too, actually.

#8 Elon held off Samford 23-17. Jacksonville State beat up #21 Eastern Illinois 23-10. #19 Villanova beat #1 Richmond 26-20. So that's back to back weeks where the I-AA top ranked team lost.

My GOTW: #4 Montana barely held off Central Washington 38-35... wow.

Three thoughts on seeing the highlights from UF/Ole Miss:

1. Wow did the Gators' secondary play terribly. That 90-yard TD was terrible blown coverage, and the safeties looked completely lost.

2. I can't imagine how many TV remotes, coffee tables, and small household objects were broken when Tebow juuuuust overthrew Louis Murphy.

3. The usage of "Wild" to describe anything where an RB takes snaps reached a new low today with "Wild Rebel." Though at least it was Houston Nutt's team, so I guess it's okay given the origins.

The Alabama offensive line is just running over Georgia. Between that and the over-the-middle passing game, which is ripe for little drag routes and that great crossing pattern Julio Jones ran, the entire Georgia front-seven looks completely outmatched.

Man...I went to that Michigan game and they looked like hell early on, especially with the offense dead in the water. The stadium was as loud as I've ever heard it when they made that comeback. Their D-line really held their own against Wisconsin's hosses up front. Michigan's offense still needs a ton of work though...Threet's clearly the guy at QB now, but he wasn't accurate at all plus he's slow as fuck (although that was a nice 58-yard run that he had off a fake handoff). Also, Michael Phelps and the other UM Olympians were at the game as well as some UM NFL players who were on their bye week. Good stuff.

EDIT: God, how bad is Washington St.? Just checking out the scores and they're down to Oregon 56-7 with the whole 4th quarter still to be played. They've got to be one of the worst teams from a BCS conference this season.

Under Mark Richt, Georgia has always strangely been better a team on the road than at home but this is ridiculous. I wouldn't completely rule out Alabama jumping to #1 after this unless UGA some how makes it respectable in the second half.

As a lifelong Alabama fan, an alumnus of the University, and someone who absolutely hates Georgia...

I

AM

LOVING

THIS!!!

As a lifelong Alabama fan, an alumnus of the University, and someone who absolutely hates Georgia...

I

AM

LOVING

THIS!!!

As someone who rarely posts during my sports teams' games, I think I have to here and I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

Maybe Georgia finally has their breakout year after being on the brink of a tantric orgasm for the last five years

Looks like those balls are gonna be blue (red) for another year

Hmmm, maybe this TCU game gives me hope for OU the rest of the season. TCU did have like the No. 1 defense in the country and I really don't think there's a Big XII team (aside from OU) that has a defense that good. OU threw up 21 easy in the first quarter and kind of coasted the rest of the way. Hmmmm......maybe we can do it this year. Ah who am I kidding. They'll lose another bowl game.

At least I get to enjoy my team being #1 for the first time since 2003.

Here are the ranked teams that lost in I-AA... some surprising rankings lost too (Looks like upset Saturday trickled down)

#1 Richmond lost to #19 Villanova

#5 Northern Iowa lost to #15 Southern Illinois

#12 Central Arkansas lost to Tulsa

#21 Eastern Illinois lost to Jacksonville State

#23 Tennessee State lost to Florida A&M

#24 Georgia Southern lost to #14 Wofford in OT

Other close calls (All decided by a TD or less)

- #20 South Dakota State won 50-48

- #25 Liberty won 31-28

- #4 Montana won 38-35

- #8 Elon won 23-17

Roll Tide! Bamaramu! Elephant sooey!

I didn't think that anything could console me after Florida's loss today, but the Dawgs getting rolled at home nearly did the trick. Oh, I'm telling you, guys, this was one of the few times in the last year that I've actually been glad to live here. Seeing the long faces (and occasionally the short dresses) on the customers who came into the store; hearing the same announcers who had so gleefully celebrated the Florida score earlier sound as though they'd just heard that Herschel Walker had died by the 3rd quarter; knowing that Florida still controls its own destiny in the SEC East...it was just a great night all around.

Guest Smues

From the BCS conference school that brought you a 1 win season in 2004 and a 2 win season in 2005 comes quite possibly a winless season in 2008. How many more losses before the Pac-10 drops UW and picks up Eastern Washington?

Yeah, firing Neuheisel was a brilliant move.

I cant roll off 3,4 and 5 right now but my #2 is Washington and #1 is Syracuse.

Futility plus facilities. Waz Zu makes the list, but good luck to anyone who can get kids to come out to Pullman.

Surprise contender for worst 5 BCS (won't be this year, but be ready)......... Texas A&M.

This might be a difficult task but which teams make up the top five worst BCS Conference programs?

You can't even include Duke anymore!

I'll bite:

Washington (I thought they had potential with an exciting player in Jake Locker, but they're just a mess right now.)

Washington St. (Have they done anything since they played in the Rose Bowl a decade ago?)

Syracuse (Pretty much been irrelevant since McNabb left.)

Arkansas (Barely beat Western Illinois and UL-Monroe, looked like a JV squad vs. Alabama and Texas, plus all that scandal stuff they went through the last year or two.)

Virginia (Man, they've fallen hard in a short time and their only win this season was a lackluster 16-0 victory over Richmond.)

I thought that run play on 3rd and 6 was going to come back to haunt Michigan, and it almost, ALMOST did. Rodriguez dodged a major bullet. Fuck that, he dodged several. If they make that first down the game was over, but RichRod decided to play it safe. Those are the kind of plays that make a football team better if they make them. I know he has a young team and over half his players are wrong for the system he is establishing, but to line up in the I formation and run it up the middle for two yards or so when if the first down is converted you lock up the game AND you give your team a much-needed shot of confidence. There was no indication that the offense could not convert that 3rd and 6.

Rodriguez already has a little case of Carr-itis, in playing not to lose. He got very lucky not once, not twice, but three times in the final 20 or 30 seconds. Wisconsion marched right down the field on Michigan at the end of that game.

Here are my rankings this week:

1. Oklahoma 4-0 (3)

2. Alabama 5-0 (11)

3. Missouri 4-0 (4)

4. LSU 4-0 (5)

5. Penn State 5-0 (7)

6. Texas 4-0 (10)

7. Texas Tech 4-0 (8)

8. BYU 4-0 (13)

9. USC 2-1 (1)

10. Florida 3-1 (2)

11. South Florida 5-0 (14)