TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

EliteXC: Heat

Let's see the full effect of Shamrock's stupidity, shall we?

Shamrock's career is over.

Kimbo's career is over.

Gina Carano will not be in the same building with Cyborg until late 2009.

Shamrock is Murphy's law personified.

Seth was right, it was a shitty situation for both fighters.

It already looks bad that Ken was stupid enough to get injured... or smart enough, depending on what you might think.

There was no way that Kimbo wasn't going to pussy out on that fight, even though some fighters would have. Maybe he should have, but coulda, woulda, shoulda.

The next step for Kimbo is to start from scratch and develop defense, never mind a ground game. You can't just wade in punching because you will get caught. My first reaction about the TKO was that he either got caught or poked in the eye, because no one drops that fast unless one or the other happens. Seth hit him right on the button with that short punch. Kimbo needs to be a fighter, not a brawler. He may have knockout power in both hands and a solid chin, but if you get caught in the right way at the right time, that's it for you.

But that overhyping of the win by Seth just made me sick. Its not like he KTFO'ed Fedor, for gods' sake.

This is why a Don King is so handy. You will get a small percentage of the cash due you but you won't get derailed on primetime TV with an unknown fighter.

This has to be fight of the year for the " Purifying" effect it should have on MMA if the critics of Kimbo are to be believed.

I think Ken would have gotten knocked out in no time had he fought Kimbo. And I don't know if he has the shot anymore to take him down.

And I still love the line about it being the greatest victory in the history of MMA. Kimbo was 3-0 and had only fought cans. Give it up

Seth was right, it was a shitty situation for both fighters.

It already looks bad that Ken was stupid enough to get injured... or smart enough, depending on what you might think.

There was no way that Kimbo wasn't going to pussy out on that fight, even though some fighters would have. Maybe he should have, but coulda, woulda, shoulda.

The next step for Kimbo is to start from scratch and develop defense, never mind a ground game. You can't just wade in punching because you will get caught. My first reaction about the TKO was that he either got caught or poked in the eye, because no one drops that fast unless one or the other happens. Seth hit him right on the button with that short punch. Kimbo needs to be a fighter, not a brawler. He may have knockout power in both hands and a solid chin, but if you get caught in the right way at the right time, that's it for you.

But that overhyping of the win by Seth just made me sick. Its not like he KTFO'ed Fedor, for gods' sake.

Kimbo's 34, he's already on the downside. He doesn't have the years it would take to learn how to truly be a great MMA fighter. His best bet to make money is fight a bunch of cans to build up his aura, which is augmented by his look. But, even that will be hard. Honestly, it looked like he was crying after the fight, probably not because of physical pain but because he knows that for all intents and purposes it's over.

Awesome.

Though I was looking forward to watching Shamrock fight.

Honestly, it looked like he was crying after the fight, probably not because of physical pain but because he knows that for all intents and purposes it's over.

I thought he was just dazed and didn't know what was going on.

Does it really make that much a difference training for one fighter and then having to fight another one?

Does it really make that much a difference training for one fighter and then having to fight another one?

Either way I doubt his gameplan would have been any different

Well most fighters it would..... Fighting Brock and Fighting Kongo would be 2 totally different prep works

I might be willing to give Slice some sort of benefit of the doubt if he had done anything other than walk directly into a knockout in the opening engagement of the fight. The way he charged in unprotected when it was obvious he was being baited to do exactly that with that high leg stance by Petrozelli, it really exposed how amateur his approach to the sport is.

Worst possible outcome for Elite XC, but it's their own damn fault. They shouldn't have let Shamrock put himself in the position to get hurt the day of the fight, and they shouldn't have put Kimbo in there with anyone but a sure thing loser once Shamrock was ruled out. I'm betting the idea was Kimbo gets the easy win over Can Shamrock, they sign Tito Ortiz and they do the marquee fight with Tito and Kimbo. Now they have to spend time building Kimbo back up and there's really no guarantee he can beat anyone decent, and now that he's been exposed they can't just take the easy way of booking him if they expect him to be a top draw. They could do the rematch, but Seth would probably just beat him again.

I guess best case for them they do Tito vs. Petrozelli and Slice vs. Ken, with the winners facing off.

I bet the show still did their best rating yet.

To preface this, I really REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like Kimbo Slice. I think that he is a really untrained fighter that any good fighter would take apart.

That said, are we all really going to pretend that he didn't get dropped, was getting back up and took a vicious hammer fist to the back of the head that really took him out? Is no one going to mention that? Because I don't think the ref was stepping in to stop the fight, I think he was going to step in after that shot to the back of the head. It was a combination of Kimbo trying to pop up and him taking a hell of a shot to the back of the head. He took two more glancing ones to the back and top of the head after that, but that first shot when he was coming back up is what really ended the fight.

Now. Back to my sebatical.

Well most fighters it would..... Fighting Brock and Fighting Kongo would be 2 totally different prep works

I'm sure Kimbo's gameplan for both was charge and punch

I wonder if Hawk52 is ready to hang himself.

Could you please explain why I would wish to kill myself over this? Is it because I think there has to be a significant secondary promotion in MMA? This would make me a Kimbo fanboy?

Or is it because I don't get a boner over watching two no-name value fighters having a good fight that means nothing to MMA, business, or general interest? Like most MMA fans?

I'll give Kimbo the nod that he was superclassy in defeat. In fact it makes me hope he gets better so he can live up to some of the hype around him.

It looked like in the 1st round that kelly was holding gina's hair, and punching with her other hand and knee.

Ohh, I'm watching it again right now, she grabbed gina's right ponytail thing with her left hand, and then threw a knee, then tried to throw a right uppercut.

Carano impresses me everytime. She seems to barely get any damage to the face, and she fights like a dude. People don't give gina the credit she deserves as a quality striker. she looks better technically than many of her male counterparts. she reads her opponents well, and always seems to be able to turn it up a notch when she has to.

I wonder if Hawk52 is ready to hang himself.

Could you please explain why I would wish to kill myself over this?

Is it because I think there has to be a significant secondary promotion in MMA? This would make me a Kimbo fanboy?

It was aimed more at your boner for Elitexc. you seemed to want theem to succeed, just like numerous other fans for numerous promotons before, simply because theyre NOT the ufc. do i think more competition for the ufc would be nicE? of course. but that doesn't mean i'm going to jock any promoton that comes along for that reason alone. I said before that Elitexc does a very good job of turning me off to their product, things which theyve taken few steps to correct. iwould've been happy had the WFA in either form become a nother big northa american promotion, but shit happens.

Or is it because I don't get a boner over watching two no-name value fighters having a good fight that means nothing to MMA, business, or general interest? Like most MMA fans?

so is this supposed to be a shot at me liknig obscure fighrters? i'll readily admit that my mma fandom is of an elitist ilk, but to my mind that's much more tolerable than making sure i only like guys everyone else likes, or that are recognizable on a household scale. what the fuck does kimbo's appeal to retards have to do with me?

seriously, its an annying mma fan that gets more stoked for shamrock/kimbo than faber/pulver, or gives more of a shit about how well a guy can give an interview than fight.

EDIT- are you fucking serious? an mma fight has to be a money maker for you to care about it? fighters having good fights IS what mma is about, popular or not.

Angry, drunken Lei posts are gold. I kind of feel sorry for Kimbo, in a King Kong sort of way. He's this big, strong guy who seems to be taken advantage of by promoters and now that his drawing power has taken a significant hit, he will eventually be tossed to the side for the next big thing. That's sad to me because now he might actually become a real fighter, and even though he might improve as one, he will get less opportunity now that his aura has been shattered.

Additionally, building a promotion around a side show act may work for business in the short run, but once the side show gets exposed or broken in the ring the company takes a big hit and ends up even worse off than before. Remember Sapp in K-1? They were the most successful fighting organization in the world from the latter half of the nineties up through the debut of Sapp, which brought an even greater cash flow in until he started getting exposed in the ring. By then, K-1 had already started bringing in even more freaks, but the quality of the fights and cards became so watered down that K-1 began to suffer in attendance and ratings, and still they still haven't recovered completely.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, use them sparingly and in the under card if you must, but if side shows and freaks become the main building block around your promotion, the consequences could be dire for you in the long run.

hey thanks for the birthday wishes Curry...I'm watching the show right now...I ended up going down to watch Mizzou slaughter the Huskers. Kimbo Experiment = FAILED

Fun Fact: Chuck Liddell was in attendance at the game, sporting Husker gear.

I like WEC way more than this stuff.

Jesus...more like Ko"bald", amirite?

Holy hell, this Nelson guy is a tubby motherfucker.

It looked like in the 1st round that kelly was holding gina's hair, and punching with her other hand and knee.

Ohh, I'm watching it again right now, she grabbed gina's right ponytail thing with her left hand, and then threw a knee, then tried to throw a right uppercut.

Carano impresses me everytime. She seems to barely get any damage to the face, and she fights like a dude. People don't give gina the credit she deserves as a quality striker. she looks better technically than many of her male counterparts. she reads her opponents well, and always seems to be able to turn it up a notch when she has to.

I think when Carano fights that Cyborg chick she'll definitely take some damage. During the event they showed a clip from her untelevised fight and she looks scary as hell. If she can take Carano down then I don't hold much hope for a victory for Carano.

The real winners here were Affliction, I think.

Those "Fedor Will Return" commercials were the shit.

Petruzelli, lol. Hilarious.

Can't wait to see what Bas has to say.