TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The US Economy and Current Financial Crisis

I know this is common sense. However, if your company is on the verge of dying, perhaps you shouldn't be paying yourself a million dollars.

Seems like the exact opposite of "good business" there.

Maybe, but the government shouldnt be forcing that on them.

Why not? They want the bailout. They can learn to keep their own personal greed in check to get it.

Greed is the root for all the problems in the economy. It's the right move to have the government try to check it if they want money.

Reducing executive bonuses and salaries allows more funds desperately needed to keep the company running (i.e. the whole point of the bailout).

You're confusing two philosophies. The trickle down theory and the free market theory are two different things, and the latter has been discredited in the last 6 months, not really the former.

Correct.

And there are plenty of other historic examples of trickle-down economics failing miserably, the last 6 months doesn't really even need to.

The $500,000 pay cap is a brilliant move. Companies wont want any bailout money now, and if they do, their CEO's will leave to companies that can pay them more.

Is the job market for top level executives so large that the CEO's in charge of a bankrupt company can easily find a job with another company?

The $500,000 pay cap is a brilliant move. Companies wont want any bailout money now, and if they do, their CEO's will leave to companies that can pay them more.

Is the job market for top level executives so large that the CEO's in charge of a bankrupt company can easily find a job with another company?

A lot of CEOs and Executives go from one board to another. It isn' uncommon, also a lot hold seats on multiple boards of directors anyway, which also could bring up a conflict of interest, but that's an entire different discussion.

I was told by the other forum that I'd be schooled if I came here and participated in the stimulus talk.

I look around this thread and all I see is the same here that I see over there: People who need to read this and understand that there is no such thing as pork in this situation if it creates jobs.

Oh by the way, one note. Remember that $200 million in aid to states to expand their family planning services that Marvin particularly got infuriated over? The Democrats struck it out over pressure from the GOP. The Congressional Budget Office estimated that it would save $400 by cutting unwanted pregnancies.

Shove it up your ass, Marv.

Also, 36 out of the 41 Senate Republicans voted for the DeMint amendment to the stimulus, which would create massive permanent tax cuts that don't help the economy at all, as well as create a giant hole in the federal budget!

I was told by the other forum that I'd be schooled if I came here and participated in the stimulus talk.

I look around this thread and all I see is the same here that I see over there: People who need to read this and understand that there is no such thing as pork in this situation if it creates jobs.

Three things the Republican Party seems to have forgotten:

-economic expansion in the 1980s was directly tied to the deficit spending by the Reagan Administration.

-the Great Depression was ended because of government spending on military goods during World War II.

-the LBJ tax cuts, combined with military spending in the late 1960s resulted in the inflation of the 1970s.

Fucking Liberals.

No, fucking conservatives. These pieces of shit killed the fucking stimulus bill by focusing on trivial pork that actually would've done lots more good than harm, cutting out $16 billion in school funding, almost passing $3 trillion in tax cuts (see: completely throwing money away) over the next several years, cut $40 in badly needed state funding, cut out money for food stamps, cut out money for unemployment insurance, but instead, gave a $15,000 tax to affluent homeowners, which will do NOTHING at all to create jobs. Did I mention the multiplier for tax cuts is an astonishing .5? Their return on the economy is 50% of what they cost. That's assuming that Americans decide to spend some of it on things, instead of tucking it in the pillow that they coddle while watching the news. Aside from the fact that the DeMint Amendment already helps the unaffected, the $3 trillion it promises (equal to the size of the hole in the US economy, so says the Congressional Budget Office), its return will be a measly $1.5 trillion, maybe, while simultaneously creating a giant sink hole of a deficit. 87.8% of the Senate Republicans voted for this! A $3 trillion stimulus package would've been a dream come true, but it was almost in the form of tax cuts.

Fuck the conservatives, these cock sucking mother fuckers killed the stimulus bill because they couldn't stand the fact that they were problem, and government spending is a necessity right now. They couldn't understand the severity of the problem, and decided to gerrymander and filibuster until their plates were satisfied. They failed to act for the last 8 years, and they've failed to act in the last 3 months. Especially fuck Eric Cantor.

The entire Republican economic theory HAS FAILED. It's in shambles, and they're breaking the shambles into smaller shambles. At the time when America needed action the most, they failed. The failed, and they failed, and they failed, and they failed. As an economist, I am infuriated at both parties to falling victim to this kind of bullshit economic theory, and I'm infuriated at how little this bill will now do for the country. The conservatives put policy above pragmatism, tax cuts above sense. Because of them, thousands of Americans will stay out of work, the economy will drag its feet, and the next few years will be much harder than they should be.

Marvin, you're a piece of shit too. Go get your own opinions.

At Home is my new TSM Hero.

Also...

cutting out $16 billion in school funding

I don't think people realize how fucked most school districts are because of declining property values and shrinking tax base due to foreclosures and the mortgage crisis.

At Home is right.

But I get mad at Obama for not realizing this and kicking the cons to the curb.

At least make them filibuster it all. Trumpet how effective all this stuff with be and make them tell America how they won't admit that it'll work.

Instead they're fucking with our hope and breaking it, and he's letting it happen!

At Home is right.

But I get mad at Obama for not realizing this and kicking the cons to the curb.

At least make them filibuster it all. Trumpet how effective all this stuff with be and make them tell America how they won't admit that it'll work.

Instead they're fucking with our hope and breaking it, and he's letting it happen!

Yeah I agree, Obama seems unwilling to break from his "I want to work with everyone" facade, even though at this point it is quite clear that everyone is not willing to work with him.

After eight years of economic policy slanted completely in one political direction, you'd think after two straight elections that say americans want otherwise, the republicans might be willing to compromise and eat some humble pie on their policy initiatives, but nope, no matter how bad the economy tanks, no matter how many jobs are lost, etc etc, the answer is and always will be the same with these folks, "tax cuts will solve everything" :rolleyes:

And its not even working in that respect.

Listen to the conservatives, they're dissing him for getting 0 votes in the House, as obviously "he wasn't being bipartisan enough"

Like, a real bipartisan bill would be all tax cuts because thats what the repubs could agree on.

It makes me sick. I'm so sick of spineless Dems.

Fucking Liberals.

No, fucking conservatives. These pieces of shit killed the fucking stimulus bill by focusing on trivial pork that actually would've done lots more good than harm, cutting out $16 billion in school funding, almost passing $3 trillion in tax cuts (see: completely throwing money away) over the next several years, cut $40 in badly needed state funding, cut out money for food stamps, cut out money for unemployment insurance, but instead, gave a $15,000 tax to affluent homeowners, which will do NOTHING at all to create jobs. Did I mention the multiplier for tax cuts is an astonishing .5? Their return on the economy is 50% of what they cost. That's assuming that Americans decide to spend some of it on things, instead of tucking it in the pillow that they coddle while watching the news. Aside from the fact that the DeMint Amendment already helps the unaffected, the $3 trillion it promises (equal to the size of the hole in the US economy, so says the Congressional Budget Office), its return will be a measly $1.5 trillion, maybe, while simultaneously creating a giant sink hole of a deficit. 87.8% of the Senate Republicans voted for this! A $3 trillion stimulus package would've been a dream come true, but it was almost in the form of tax cuts.

Fuck the conservatives, these cock sucking mother fuckers killed the stimulus bill because they couldn't stand the fact that they were problem, and government spending is a necessity right now. They couldn't understand the severity of the problem, and decided to gerrymander and filibuster until their plates were satisfied. They failed to act for the last 8 years, and they've failed to act in the last 3 months. Especially fuck Eric Cantor.

The entire Republican economic theory HAS FAILED. It's in shambles, and they're breaking the shambles into smaller shambles. At the time when America needed action the most, they failed. The failed, and they failed, and they failed, and they failed. As an economist, I am infuriated at both parties to falling victim to this kind of bullshit economic theory, and I'm infuriated at how little this bill will now do for the country. The conservatives put policy above pragmatism, tax cuts above sense. Because of them, thousands of Americans will stay out of work, the economy will drag its feet, and the next few years will be much harder than they should be.

I fucking salute you. I couldn't say it any better if I tried.

On a side note... I need to NOT talk about politics at work. Some girl at work said the government should just hand out $100,000 to every man, woman, and child for the stimulus.... and she was serious.

Fucking Liberals.

I fucking salute you. I couldn't say it any better if I tried.

On a side note... I need to NOT talk about politics at work. Some girl at work said the government should just hand out $100,000 to every man, woman, and child for the stimulus.... and she was serious.

Maybe the girl at work should run for Congress.

Obama doesn't want CEO's to use corporate Jets, and yet he can fly from DC to Williamsburg, VA in Air Force One. Obama wants cut bonuses and CEO salaries and yet Congress just doled out $93,000 to each member. Paying your taxes is "patriotic", but you dont have to pay em if your a member of congress.

More of the "do as I say, not as I do" democrats.

You're criticizing Obama for flying the presidential airplane? What is he supposed to do, take the bus?

Marine One.

Or, he could have been very environmentally conscious and teleconferenced the meeting from the White House. Just imagine the carbon footprint needed to fly a 747 for 100 mile trip. But how dare you drive your gas guzzling SUV for that same distance!

Dear Marvin,

Where do I begin? It is a fucking security measure for the President to travel in Air Force One. Also, you mentioned that Congress doled out $93,000 to each member. When was it that the President was a member of Congress again? Oh.

Yours truly,

Dandy

Dear Marvin,

Where do I begin? It is a fucking security measure for the President to travel in Air Force One. Also, you mentioned that Congress doled out $93,000 to each member. When was it that the President was a member of Congress again? Oh.

Yours truly,

Dandy

Dear Dandy

Teleconferencing the meeting would have been 100x more safer and environmentally friendly. And if he had to be there in person, he could have used Marine One for the 100 mile trip which the Obama's did when they went to Camp David, which is a little closer to DC in Maryland but not that much further than VA.

Sincerely,

Marv

Dear Marv,

Please go to NHB at some point in the future so I can discuss your political knowledge and views in a manner in which they deserve.

Patiently yours,

Dand

Dammit Marvin...

Anyway, enough of that schlock. I watched some of his press conference, and it seemed fine. I kind of wish he had laid into the Republicans more, though.

Also, did anyone else do a double take when that one reporter asked the president what he thought of Alex Rodriguez's admitted steroid use?

Marvin, I know what you're doing. Your amping up your act so you can win "Worst Poster" again. You did it last year, and it worked.