TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

RIP Paul Newman

Courtesty of The Toronto Star....

WESTPORT, Conn.–Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as an activist, race car driver, popcorn impresario and the anti-hero of such films as Hud, Cool Hand Luke and The Color of Money, has died, a spokeswoman said Saturday. He was 83.

Newman died Friday of cancer, spokeswoman Marni Tomljanovic said. No other details were immediately available.

In May, Newman he had dropped plans to direct a fall production of Of Mice and Men, citing unspecified health issues.

He got his start in theatre and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers. He was nominated for Oscars 10 times, winning one regular award and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including Exodus, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Verdict, and Absence of Malice.

Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers. His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in Butch Cassidy and The Sting.

He sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages. "I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?'' Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray. They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in The Long Hot Summer, and Newman directed her in several films, including Rachel, Rachel and The Glass Menagerie.

Wow....the passing of a legend.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of my favorite movies. The list of awesome films he was a part of is enough to make an Hollywood actor jealous. And he always managed to be a nice guy, no matter how successful he became.

I'm also a regular purchaser of his delicious spaghetti sauces, which I highly recommend.