TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 9/30 - 10/4

College Football Poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Unbeaten is Most Likely to Lose?

• #1 Oklahoma (at Baylor)
    • #2 Alabama (vs. Kentucky)
    • #4 Missouri (at Nebraska)
    • #5 Texas (at Colorado)
    • #6 Penn State (at Purdue)
    • #7 Texas Tech (at Kansas State)

Hey look, a poll! After what transpired this past week and the craziness of last year, it's safe to say that week to week you can never assume that the big dogs will survive unscathed, especially in conference play. LSU is off this week and BYU might as well be as they play Utah State on Friday but the other six Top 8 unbeatens all play in conference against unranked opponents that they should beat. Of those six teams, the one we know the least about is Texas Tech as I think this will be the first time this year anyone outside of Lubbock will even see one of their games as they played a laughably weak non-conference schedule (Eastern Washington, Nevada, SMU, UMass).

For the Top 25 games this week, I'm sure as early as two weeks ago ESABCPN was thrilled about their primetime regional games for this week but both games have lost a lot of thunder. Ohio State didn't put up any sort of fight in their much hyped game against USC and then Wisconsin had an epic fail in the second half against Michigan on Saturday. Oregon, who I think is now starting the equipment manager at quarterback, was upended by Boise State the week before last and we all know about the Trojans being clamped down by the Beavers last Thursday. The night will end with two very disappointing, two loss teams.

In other Top 25 match-up we have the biggest game at Vanderbilt since well, ever? Auburn comes to Music City and not only that for the first time ever Gameday will be at Vandy. Is Vandy for real? Probably not, but it's still fun to see them in a game of national importance.

Hey you know the baseball regular season is over now when we get Tuesday Night Sun Belt Footbaw! I know I'm excited.

And finally, remember when people actually gave a shit about FSU/Miami? Seems like a long time ago now.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

TUESDAY

Florida Atlantic at Middle Tennessee, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

Louisiana Tech at #17 Boise State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

THURSDAY

Pittsburgh at #10 South Florida, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

Oregon State at #15 Utah, 9:00/6:00 PM, Versus

FRIDAY

Cincinnati at Marshall, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

#6 Penn State at Purdue, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Iowa at Michigan State, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

#1 Oklahoma at Baylor, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, FSN

#16 Kansas at Iowa State, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Versus

Stanford at Notre Dame, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, NBC

Kentucky at #2 Alabama, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

Illinois at Michigan, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN2

Florida State at Miami, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN2*

#7 Texas Tech at Kansas State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Arizona State at California, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Navy at Air Force, 4:00/1:00 PM, Versus

#13 Auburn at #19 Vanderbilt, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN

Connecticut at North Carolina, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#5 Texas at Colorado, 7:00/4:00 PM, FSN

Washington at Arizona, 7:30/4:30 PM, Versus

#14 Ohio State at #18 Wisconsin, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

#23 Oregon at #9 USC, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

#4 Missouri at Nebraska, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Digital Cable/Satellite/GamePlan Schedule

THURSDAY

Nicholls State at Northern Iowa, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPNU

Memphis at UAB, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

SATURDAY

Duke at Georgia Tech, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPNU

Indiana at Minnesota, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN

Boston College at N.C. State, Noon/9:00 AM, Raycom*/GP

Rutgers at West Virginia, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Akron at Kent State, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

#12 Florida at Arkansas, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Raycom*/GP

UNLV at Colorado State, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

South Carolina at Mississippi, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, GP

SMU at UCF, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBSCS

Temple at Miami of Ohio, 3:30/12:30 PM, GP

Nevada at Idaho, 5:00/2:00 PM, GP

San Diego State at TCU, 6:00/3:00 PM, Mtn.

Maryland at Virginia, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPNU

Texas Southern at Texas State, 7:00/4:00 PM, FCS Central

Northern Illinois at Tennessee, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

FIU at North Texas, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Rice at Tulsa, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

Wyoming at New Mexico, 9:30/6:30 PM, Mtn.

Hawaii at #22 Fresno State, 10:00/7:00 PM, GP

Washington State at UCLA, 10:15/7:15 PM, FCS Central

All Other Div. I-A Games

FRIDAY

#8 BYU at Utah State

SATURDAY

Western Kentucky at #20 Virginia Tech

Alcorn State at New Mexico State

Ohio at Western Michigan

Army at Tulane

Eastern Michigan at Bowling Green

Texas A&M at #21 Oklahoma State

UL Lafayette at UL Monroe

UTEP at Southern Miss

Ball State at Toledo

Edited by Bored

I know little of the Big 12 outside that Iowa State sucks as usual (My Grandparents live in Ames), but I think Mizzou is going to have the toughest game just based on Nebraska's name recongition and that the game in in Lincoln.

LSU is off this week and BYU might as well be as they play Utah State on Friday

Isn't this the type of mentality we're trying to steer away from?

Not too many great I-AA games this week...

Villanova (3-1) @ William & Mary (2-1)

Game of the Week: Furman (4-1) @ Elon (4-1)

Tennessee State (4-1) @ Tennessee Martin (4-1)

Montana (4-0) @ Weber State (3-2)

South Carolina State (3-2) @ Florida A&M (3-1)

Sacramento State (3-2) @ Northern Arizona (3-1)

Liberty (4-0) @ Coastal Carolina (3-2) ~ Curious how Liberty does in this game. Consider this the equivalent of BYU playing a team like Oregon or Nebraska.

Prairie View (4-0) @ Grambling State (3-2)

LSU is off this week and BYU might as well be as they play Utah State on Friday

Isn't this the type of mentality we're trying to steer away from?

I will personally send you $100 if BYU loses to Utah State. Swear to god.

And finally, remember when people actually gave a shit about FSU/Miami? Seems like a long time ago now.

Even in the 2006 game, ESPN had everything set up with the ridiculous "this game is on 3 channels!" thing they did for UNC/Duke basketball that year. ESPN was the game, ESPN2 was this weird stats-hud five cameras going at once, ESPN U was some wacky roving cam. Sweet memories.

Also, Northwestern's 5-0, Vandy's 4-0, Duke is 3-1. It is whoppingly embarrassing to root for Virginia when comparable academic institutions are gangbanging the competition.

With the always hilarious Harris Poll out we can now start to talk BCS rankings. Currently their are four of the six computer ratings that are available public so we can get a decent idea of what the BCS would look like at the moment (official release is in three weeks). Here is the unofficial Top 14 per collegebcs.com.

1. Oklahoma

2. Alabama

3. LSU

4. Texas

5. Missouri

6. Penn State

7. Georgia

8. South Florida

9. USC

10. BYU

11. Utah

12. Texas Tech

13. Ohio State

14. Boise State

The most interesting thing right now is the computers are in love with Utah as they are ranked #3 based on the computer averages behind Alabama and Oklahoma. On the other hand their rivals BYU are only #14 with the computer averages.

I know no one else gives a shit, but my personal Super Bowl for the college season is hoping the typicaly shitty Kent State can at least bring home the Wagon Wheel vs. Akron.

I guess I'd say that Texas is the most likely team out of that group to lose. Colorado fell flat last Saturday but they do play well at home. This is Texas' 1st game against a team with a pulse (well Rice is 3-2 but it's probably a stretch to call them a quality opponent) so we'll see how that goes.

Hey I'm glad I decided to tune into Tuesday Night Sun Belt Footbaw for the last 45 seconds as MTSU wins on a hail mary, all be it a short one.

And apparently ESPN had some goofy live chat thing going on the whole game on the top screen.

Oregon State extends their lead to 28-20 with 2:18 left. Again where was this team against STANFORD~ and Penn State?

Edit: Well that was quick, tie game.

That was a Grade-A choke job by the Beavers. Utah wins 31-28.

Storming the field. Really? Well if MTSU can do it for beating freakin' FAU I guess anyone can now.

It's not always about who you beat. The point is that when they're down 8 with under 2:00, at that point of the game, they were about a 8:1 dog to come back and win the game. So then, when they do come back and keep their unbeaten season alive, it's a pretty major event.

So I've heard some crazy ass Baylor fans claiming OU's defense will be exposed by Robert Griffin. They keep saying he's too quick and he'll just continually turn the corner on the OU D and leave them watching him.

That's an odd assumption because OU's defense is probably one of the fastest in the nation (at least on the front 7) and if Jake Locker couldn't turn the corner on them then I don't see how Griffin can.

Oh well, Baylor wins 2 games and suddenly their fans are going nuts.

Those fans will not talk to you when it is 31-3 at the half.

And looking at that Harris poll, I would love to see Utah and BYU win out, just to see what their BCS rankings are at the time of their game.

Baylor can get stomped by OU to the tune of a triple digit score for all I fucking care. (/bitter UH student - fan pissed at Briles for leaving UH)

and in surprising Big 12 news, updates on the ticker show that Iowa State appears to be dominating KU, leading 20-0 halfway through the 2nd.

Keep it up, Cyclones

Gators up 17-7 in the third, but this has been a really uninspired performance. Is this team putting it on autopilot between big games or what? I expected a much better showing coming off of that embarrassing loss last week.

Gators up 17-7 in the third, but this has been a really uninspired performance. Is this team putting it on autopilot between big games or what? I expected a much better showing coming off of that embarrassing loss last week.

Maybe the Tebow Train is just slowing down.

If so, that's good news for an LSU defense that's pretty battered right now, with star LB Darry Beckwith just coming back from an injury, DT Ricky Jean-Francois left the MSU game with an injury and didn't return, and DT Charles Alexander out part of the MSU game with an injury.

and in surprising Big 12 news, updates on the ticker show that Iowa State appears to be dominating KU, leading 20-0 halfway through the 2nd.

Keep it up, Cyclones

So much for that one

Wow FSU/Miami doesn't look like it soldout. Just bizarre watching this game being played in the atmosphere free Dolphins Stadium.

KState started off with a respectable back and forth showing against Texas Tech, but now Tech's found the weakness in KState's middle and are running it up at this point