TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Impact goes live for one night only on 10/23

The show itself was "eh" at best, but everything else looked so minor league.(Although The HD looked good.) It felt like I was transported back to 1997 watching an episode of WWF Shotgun Saturday Night.

I found it funny that TNA reverted back to their original days and just had random skanks around the ramp for no reason whatsoever.

Las Vegas Showgirls = The new TNA cage dancers.

Hell, this show at least was trying to do something, anything, important. It might have been goofy, it might have felt rushed, it might have been too full of itself, but at least the show moves and isn't dull. So on that level it was at least better than Raw from this week.

To say TNA dropped the ball here would be putting it lightly. The first thing that struck was how bush league the presentation of the arena was. They had around 1,000 fans in the building but from TV you'd have thought there were only a couple of hundred. How do you manage that? Then you've got the first thing people see in terms of action, and TNA give us Velvet Sky vs. Christy Hemme. Now, visually, it's obvious why they went with the Beautiful People; their entrance, I'm sure, looked jaw dropping in HD. The problem with making this the first impression some people have of TNA, assuming their marketing campaign worked, is that it makes TNA look firmly like the minor leagues. The match was a terribly amateurish affair that only looks worse when compared with what WWE do. Booker T's accent has got to go. It just looks like a poor rip-off of what he did as King Booker, and it makes he and Sharmell look like a bad SNL skit, which isn't how you want a supposed main event act to come across. The deal with Christian was good in theory, but why would Christian bury the 'Legends Title' before claiming to want to it so he could mess with Booker? The idea that Christian winning the belt would mess with Booker is sound. But burying the belt beforehand? And why would Booker want Christian in the Main Event Mafia (an e-fed level name if ever there was one)? Yeah, it'll upset Christian, but all he's going to get is a team member that is going to handicap the group. Won't the rest of the MEM have something to say about this? What more can be said about the X-Division title match? It was over before you could blink. As for the main event, should anyone care about the babyfaces? Samoa Joe whines like a bitch, AJ acts like a punk to the legend (Sting) that people like, they get outsmarted all the time, they rarely win, and they get beaten up and laid out on a regular basis. How could anyone possibly get behind such an incompetent group of babyfaces? Granted, the idea is to make the babyfaces in need of a knight in shining armor to save the day (Jeff Jarrett), but any knight coming to the rescue of these geeks is going to look like a bigger geek.

And how can Foley be a major shareholder in a private company? At least explain that part of it by saying he was put on the TNA board or something.

Also:

-- According to someone who has been keeping track, last night's Impact had 23 minutes of wrestling in the two hour show. About six months ago they had a show with just 17 minutes of wrestling, and the most they've ever had since going to two hours was 37 minutes.

Ick. At best it's comparable to the Divas Championship.

TNA4.jpg

I didn't watch the show last night so this is the first time I've seen the title.

It doesn't to look bad, I like the diamonds that border every plate on the belt but the crown....the crowd just seems out of place for some reason. Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture but the belt also doesn't look very shiny. It looks like it has that dark gold color but maybe it's just the lighting in the picture and I'm seeing shadows on it.

Overall it looks like something someone could make in the Create-a-title feature from Smackdown vs Raw 2007.

I think it's a bit early to comment on the Legends title.

First I want to see if it's defended...or if it's treated ala the Million Dollar Championship.

It's a...unique looking belt, to say the least.

Just as I was making the connection with the MEF vs TNA Originals with the New Blood/MC feud of 2000, and how at least TNA made the young guys the faces this time, we get that main event. TNA ruined Joe, they waited too long to give him the title, and then bungled his reign and changed him from the quiet killing machine that got way over into a soap opera type whiny dude.

And is Nash really using Joe's shoot on Hall to explain his heel turn? So he befriended Joe and mentored him for 9 months so he could cost him the title at an arbitrary point? Couldn't he have ,yknow kicked his ass back in December? Classic Russo overbooking.

I'm fastforwarding through some things that I couldn't hear well yesterday since I had the Sabres game on the radio. I didn't realize that Booker dropped his accent for a moment when he got angry at Christian and the Sharmell stopped him and he went back into character. That ruled.

I have my doubts we'll ever get Spike HD in Canada so Impact being in HD really amounts to nothing for me, but based on that episode, it looks like the move to HD caused them to remove those ugly graphics they insisted on annoying me with just for someone entering the ring. What is this, No Mercy for Nintendo 64? Good riddence.

Commissioner Foley Round... 3 (4?), I guess. That's going to shake things up in TNA.

And how can Foley be a major shareholder in a private company? At least explain that part of it by saying he was put on the TNA board or something.

That's just nitpicking. It's a fucking storyline bro...you really think people sit there and analyze whether or not TNA is a private or Public company and how could Foley possibly be named half owner?

I'm fastforwarding through some things that I couldn't hear well yesterday since I had the Sabres game on the radio. I didn't realize that Booker dropped his accent for a moment when he got angry at Christian and the Sharmell stopped him and he went back into character. That ruled.

I enjoyed the "NO MORE AC-CENT" chants beforehand.

Well, if TNA don't care about little things like gaps in logic, attention to detail, and plot holes, I guess I can't expect their fans to care about them, either.

I think TNA has PLENTY of gaps in logic and plenty of plot holes in there week to week storylines but this one just isnt relative and isn't something people will complain about. I agree with a lot of the things you said in your first paragraph about the show but nitpicking the "Mick Foley buying stock in a private company" deal is something that only you probably care about. Most people just see him in an authority role and won't get caught in whether or not TNA is a public or private company.

EDIT: I also think you're way off on Booker T's accent. How can you think that shits not funny? Him saying respect every time either Nash, Angle, or Sting mentioned was great. I actually watched the show with a guy who just a big WWE fan and just started watching TNA since BFG and Booker's accent was one of his favorite parts.

Commissioner Foley Round... 3 (4?), I guess. That's going to shake things up in TNA.

It's not going to shake things up but, if done right, can be very entertaining because he's got a whole new cast of characters to interact with, some of which he's never interacted with before. You can't tell me that the BFG skit with the Beuatiful People where they were throwing M&M's at him wasn't hilarious and entertaining.

People actually pay money to hear that shit? The only thing I got out of that entire rant was pretty much this...

"TNA isn't doing the things I want them to do." *Cries*

Where was Keller's outrage when Jericho was talking about Shawn Michael's wife and kids in the same tone?

Or when other wrestlers have done stuff like this on other shows for the last 10 years?

Where was Keller's outrage when Jericho was talking about Shawn Michael's wife and kids in the same tone?

Or when other wrestlers have done stuff like this on other shows for the last 10 years?

"I'm your papi!"

I wonder if Keller kicked a hole in the wall when Austin attacked Pillman's home.

I don't care that Angle talks about Jarrett's family. If they start doing vignettes of him stalking them at home...that's different. As for what it is now...it's one line in his promos that he throws at Jarrett. Funnily..it's one of the few lines on Impact that actually makes sense when you think about it. When you're trying to goad someone into the ring, letting them know that they won't be safe at home...kinda makes sense to me.

Angle's character is trying to keep it on a professional level, and JJ keeps telling him that he isn't a wrestler anymore. How else is Angle supposed to get at Jarrett if he doesn't attack, verbally, the one thing that JJ DOES care about. That's just what a heel does...and Jarrett's character of TNA founder and somewhat retired wrestler leaves very few avenues.

THat's what I don't get about people who complain about these same things over and over that TNA keeps doing. I've been guilty of it myself as far as complaining about the announcing. But they're gonna keep doing what they want so you might as well find stuff you like on the show or quit watching.

I think they've got some good stuff going right now but they need a lot more wrestling on the show. The Beuatiful People are awesome, I think the new vs. old feud, while not perfect, is pretty good, Booker T is very entertaining, MIck Foley has been great on the mic so far. Yes, the logic holes are still there, the cramming of a lot of shit into two hours is still there, the commentators still suck but there are things that you can take away from the show that are fun.

I don't care that Angle talks about Jarrett's family. If they start doing vignettes of him stalking them at home...that's different. As for what it is now...it's one line in his promos that he throws at Jarrett. Funnily..it's one of the few lines on Impact that actually makes sense when you think about it. When you're trying to goad someone into the ring, letting them know that they won't be safe at home...kinda makes sense to me.

Angle's character is trying to keep it on a professional level, and JJ keeps telling him that he isn't a wrestler anymore. How else is Angle supposed to get at Jarrett if he doesn't attack, verbally, the one thing that JJ DOES care about. That's just what a heel does...and Jarrett's character of TNA founder and somewhat retired wrestler leaves very few avenues.

Excellent points. I was wondering when someone would make an intelligent reply rather than engaging in a pointless circlejerk.

Not trying to engage in a pointless circlejerk, but my point is that people's hatred for certain elements of TNA's show make them start nitpicking other parts of the show that aren't that big of a deal at all. Stuff like Mick Foley buying stock in a "private company" and one line that Kurt Angle says about Jarrett's kids.

Lest we forget that Angle stalked Sting's son at his baseball game and then kicked the shit out of him.