TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Truthiness

Spoiler for 10-02-2008

It's really sad to see what the X-Division has reduced down to. A few years ago, we had Joe and Styles putting on awesome matches, maybe even sometimes main eventing PPVs, to now having guys win the X-title and hardly even defend it, or they put it on someone who won't click with the fans. It reminds me of the way that WWE treats some of their secondary titles.

I still prefer Daivari actually being given a strap, even if it's only a showpiece. The IC division is a joke though. Jeff Hardy held the IC championship all through his feud with Orton and only lost it through suspension. That was pointless. I thought thy might have given a little shit about it when Kofi got it, but after it went onto Marella it became a joke title.

It's really sad to see what the X-Division has reduced down to. A few years ago, we had Joe and Styles putting on awesome matches, maybe even sometimes main eventing PPVs, to now having guys win the X-title and hardly even defend it, or they put it on someone who won't click with the fans. It reminds me of the way that WWE treats some of their secondary titles.

It's still in a lot better shape compared to what Russo did to the WCW Cruiserweight Title.

I actually like how TNA calls the business WRESTLING and the performers WRESTLERS instead of the Sports Entertainment and Superstar crap of WWE

That's silly.

He's not alone there, that's something which has really bugged me about the WWE forever.

I actually like how TNA calls the business WRESTLING and the performers WRESTLERS instead of the Sports Entertainment and Superstar crap of WWE

That's silly.

He's not alone there, that's something which has really bugged me about the WWE forever.

Still silly.

Yeah, at least the X-Division isn't a joke yet, but it really has slid downhill. About the point in time where I noticed that belt lost a lot of importance was when they put it on Chris Sabin about a year or two ago. His reign was boring as hell, and they constantly jobbed Jerry Lynn out to him all the time. Hell, I couldn't even remember who Sabin lost it to.

I think the X Division has already seen it's greatest days. Personally, I would like to see the X-Division retired and them to inroduce a new belt that all the mid-card guys can compete for. That way they could have something for guys like Matt Morgan, Robert Rude, etc to compete for as well as guys like Abdul Bahsir and Consequences Creed. It should probably be a TV title and then build it up to the level of the World Title. Keep four guys in the mix competeing for the World title and four guys for the TV title and shuffle them back and forth but keep the two divisions completely seperate and equal. They could have their own little brand extension and eight guys that are always being built up. So eventually, for example, when Samoe Joe needs a fresh feud they could shift him out of the World TItle picture and have him compete against someone like Kaz for the TV title while moving AJ Styles up to compete for the World Title. The key would be keep the two belts completely equal so it doesn't look like a step down when a certain guy goes after the TV title.

I think the X Division has already seen it's greatest days. Personally, I would like to see the X-Division retired and them to inroduce a new belt that all the mid-card guys can compete for. That way they could have something for guys like Matt Morgan, Robert Rude, etc to compete for as well as guys like Abdul Bahsir and Consequences Creed. It should probably be a TV title and then build it up to the level of the World Title. Keep four guys in the mix competeing for the World title and four guys for the TV title and shuffle them back and forth but keep the two divisions completely seperate and equal. They could have their own little brand extension and eight guys that are always being built up. So eventually, for example, when Samoe Joe needs a fresh feud they could shift him out of the World TItle picture and have him compete against someone like Kaz for the TV title while moving AJ Styles up to compete for the World Title. The key would be keep the two belts completely equal so it doesn't look like a step down when a certain guy goes after the TV title.

The entire point of the X Division was to be "no limits" and that anyone would be able to challenge for it, but it has pretty much been TNA's Cruiserweight belt outside of a few title reigns. Also, the point that is lost between the titles is that most people refer to the top championship as the "World Championship" when in fact it is the World HEAVYWEIGHT Championship. If they wanted to do it correctly, than nobody that is able to challenge for the World Cruiserweight Championship should ever be able to challenge for the Heavyweight Championship, unless it was some sort of "I want to prove myself" storyline. It makes the Cruiser title look meaningless when a guy in that division wants to bypass it. Those are the two championships that should be on close to equal footing - not the Heavyweight and a proposed TV title. I can agree that TNA might need another championship, but I would rather see them push the X Division as what it should be as use that as a belt for midcarders and such to fight over and create situations where it would seem more feasible that a guy like Creed/Sonjay/Lethal/whomever can stand on equal footing with some of the bigger guys. Since that will never ever ever ever happen, create a North American Heavyweight Championship, relegate the X Title to the smaller guys, and give the upper-midcard something to do besides meaninglessly fart around until staleness demands some new challenge or champion for the World Heavyweight. The point is, though, that this new belt would not be on the level of the World, but would be that step up that a guy could use to get to the World title at a later point.

The whole "no limits" proposal was never clearly defined and never worked. For Example, what's to stop a Matt Morgan, for example, from coming in and holding the belt forever. yeah, they need to either get rid of it or call it the cruiserweight title.

But adding another belt on top of the X-Division title would make five belts which would probably be a bit much. I could buy some of the X-Division guys like Bashir and Lethal competeing in a Television Title division (or a North American heavyweight title, whatever) with guys like Robert Roode and Abyss. The whole point of making the belt on the level of the world heavyweight title would be that you would create a whole new group of guys that would be considered main eventers or atleast being able to get away with being in the main event picture. They could do this by allowing TV title matches to main event the TV shows and even a PPV once in a while...much like that did with the X-Division title in the beginning. The only problem was that a lot of those guys were lightweights and would never really be considered main event players. I'm talking about guys like Amazing Red, EZ Money, Sabin, etc. If you have a belt that's treated the same way, kept seperate and equal to the world title, but have guys like Roode, Morgan, and Abyss fighting over it they have guys that can slide right into the main event when those feuds get stale.

It's still in a lot better shape compared to what Russo did to the WCW Cruiserweight Title.

Or the WCW title for that matter.

Just a little thing for this show, when they panned to the Spanish Announcers' Table Hector Guerrero and his colleague had black headsets with microphones ala WWE commentators but Tenay and West have these cheapass flesh coloured things that look a lot crappier. Is there a reason for the Spanish announcers to have better looking microphones than Tenay and West?

The whole "no limits" proposal was never clearly defined and never worked. For Example, what's to stop a Matt Morgan, for example, from coming in and holding the belt forever. yeah, they need to either get rid of it or call it the cruiserweight title.

That is something they should have addressed early on with some sort of storyline, or it is something that needs to be addressed and put out there. So that's why I say just keep it as their own little cruiser belt (which it pretty much is now) and then have a secondary title. Having a World, Tag, Midcard, Women's, and Cruiser titles isn't THAT bad, even with just one two-hour show a week. The problem is that TNA doesn't have the best time management skills, so it might be harder for them to do it. Keep the World title as the focus of every show, and then just kinda have the other four rotated in and out in groups of two, doing more backstage stuff with two while doing matches based around the other two and then switch it up the following week. Use the backstage stuff to set up next week's matches and there could even be some backstage brawling type segments and things like that.

Just a little thing for this show, when they panned to the Spanish Announcers' Table Hector Guerrero and his colleague had black headsets with microphones ala WWE commentators but Tenay and West have these cheapass flesh coloured things that look a lot crappier. Is there a reason for the Spanish announcers to have better looking microphones than Tenay and West?

TNA hates whitey? Are you honestly questioning this?

err yeah, that's a legit question. Why do Tenay and West have shitty microphones if the Spanish Announcers don't?