TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Mega-Threads!

Mega-threads  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like mega-threads (CWDWAT, General Discussion, etc.)

• Yay
    • Nay
    • I don't care either way

I brought this up to our esteemed Ombudsman, but since I'm fairly sure he has no power whatsoever I would like to open this up to the rest of TSM. I want to know how everyone feels about the mega-threads that seem to dominate this board.

I hate, hate, hate mega-threads. This includes any and all Comments Which Don't Warrant a Thread threads, General Discussion, and every other all-encompassing topic (Campaign 2008, Offseason Threads, etc.). These things seem to choke out discussion and kill traffic. Anyone else feel this way, or am I arguing a position that no one else agrees with?

So, the question is quite simple. Do you like these big threads, or would prefer to see things broken up in a more manageable fashion? Let your voice be heard!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

No one on the staff will stop you from starting new threads. Mole's gone.

Feedback matters, to answer that question.

Guest Smues

I'm a big fan of mega threads. If you want to start another thread for a topic that warrants one go right ahead, but I don't see any reason we should get rid of the mega threads. Because there are plenty of comments that really don't need a whole thread, and mega threads help prevent bumping of ancient threads for no reason. See: Douchebag in the video game folder as one example. I mean, if I finally see a movie that came out 3 years ago, and I have something to say about it, it makes more sense to me to go to the movie folders CTDWAT and say my piece, rather than bumping a 3 year old thread to add some minor comment.

I don't understand how they kill traffic and stifle discussion. If anything, I'd argue that they encourage discussion much more than little threads.

I'm a big fan of mega threads. If you want to start another thread for a topic that warrants one go right ahead, but I don't see any reason we should get rid of the mega threads. Because there are plenty of comments that really don't need a whole thread, and mega threads help prevent bumping of ancient threads for no reason. See: Douchebag in the video game folder as one example. I mean, if I finally see a movie that came out 3 years ago, and I have something to say about it, it makes more sense to me to go to the movie folders CTDWAT and say my piece, rather than bumping a 3 year old thread to add some minor comment.

That is debatable. You may make a comment on a movie I've recently seen as well and unless I scour the mega thread all the time I may miss it and that would kill off a potential discussion whereas bumping the old thread I could read through the prior comments and yours and either respond or make my own comment.

Pictures I Like and those type of "What are you thinking" threads definitely can be a mega thread.

Ridding yourself of the Campaign 2008 megathread will only give birth to dozens of new threads every time a new attack ad runs or Palin further betrays her stupidity or more proof is unearthed of Barack Obama's connection with the Nation of Islam. Do you really want to make a lousy folder even worse?

Ridding yourself of the Campaign 2008 megathread will only give birth to dozens of new threads every time a new attack ad runs or Palin further betrays her stupidity or more proof is unearthed of Barack Obama's connection with the Nation of Islam. Do you really want to make a lousy folder even worse?

A Campaign 2008 thread is fine, but the one that exists currently is crazy. You do realize that this thread has been around since 2005, right? 2005! McCain and Obama were barely even on the radar at the time. What relevancy does any of that have on today? Sure a catch-all for miscellaneous comments and youtubes is fine, but we can't have a separate thread for the conventions? The debates? There wasn't even a separate thread for the economy until I bothered to make one.

All I am saying is that things could be spread out a little more evenly. We've got about 20 fucking mods floating around this place and we can't get one of them to separate out relevant discussion into their own topics? You know what I do when I'm gone for a few days and want to check one of those big threads... I just click to read the last post. I'm sure many others do the same.

Finally, on the subject on new threads - why are people so scared of new threads? New threads is certainly one problem TSM does not have.

I heavily regret kicking off the Campaign 2008 thread. In my defense though, I had no idea it would lead to Marvin fellating Glenn Beck, Marney returning and behaving like Marney, Czech adding "comical" music (seriously, stop that), Jerk using Hillary and Palin as a means to let out his issues with women, and a sundry other things.

I had no idea it would lead to Marvin fellating Glenn Beck, Marney returning and behaving like Marney, Czech adding "comical" music (seriously, stop that), Jerk using Hillary and Palin as a means to let out his issues with women, and a sundry other things.

It really is a great thread, isn't it?

I heavily regret kicking off the Campaign 2008 thread. In my defense though, I had no idea it would lead to Marvin fellating Glenn Beck, Marney returning and behaving like Marney, Czech adding "comical" music (seriously, stop that), Jerk using Hillary and Palin as a means to let out his issues with women, and a sundry other things.

If you didn't, one of the regulars would have, and it would be no less shameful

That is debatable. You may make a comment on a movie I've recently seen as well and unless I scour the mega thread all the time I may miss it and that would kill off a potential discussion whereas bumping the old thread I could read through the prior comments and yours and either respond or make my own comment.

Pictures I Like and those type of "What are you thinking" threads definitely can be a mega thread.

I agree with this line of thinking. I'm not a fan of mega-threads.

I agree with this line of thinking. I'm not a fan of mega-threads.

The sports folder is nothing but megathreads.

Really? I'm the one railing against mega-threads and I think the Sports folder is one place where they aren't that prevalent. There are few, but nothing egregiously bad like a few of the other folders.

Offseason threads scream megathreads to me.

Maybe I don't know the definition of megathread, but aren't the TWIB/NFL Week (x) threads megathreads?

Maybe I don't know the definition of megathread, but aren't the TWIB/NFL Week (x) threads megathreads?

Offseason threads are bad. I agree with you there.

As for the definition of a mega-thread... I don't know. You just kind of know them when you see them. I'm talking about those threads that encompass multiple topics and go on and on for pages with no breaks. I don't have any problem with a thread being long. It's the threads that keep going without any frame of reference. At least with TWIB and NFL x they turn over on a weekly basis. CWDWAT just go on forever and ever. Same with the Wii thread or Campaign 2008.

Think of it as like reading a book. There are short paragraphs and long paragraphs, but you at least get a new one when the thought changes. The mega-threads are like one paragraph going on for dozens of pages. Horrible analogy, I know, but maybe it can give you a visual.

The Campaign thread will be pretty much over in a month. Anything of interest to a reader anyway.

And without offseason threads we'd have everybody posting a new thread about the littlest crap that happens to their team...in each sport.

That doesn't warrant a thread.

If only there were a system in place for a comment that doesn't warrant a thread.

This is too taxing. I'm going out.

No one has ever adequately explained to me why we too many threads is a bad thing. I'd like to see each folder turn over once a week. That would mean 2-3 new threads per folder, per day.

As for stupid and unnecessary threads, yeah I get it. Mods close them now... why wouldn't they close them if mega-threads were gone?

Offseason threads are bad. I agree with you there.

As for the definition of a mega-thread... I don't know. You just kind of know them when you see them. I'm talking about those threads that encompass multiple topics and go on and on for pages with no breaks. I don't have any problem with a thread being long. It's the threads that keep going without any frame of reference. At least with TWIB and NFL x they turn over on a weekly basis. CWDWAT just go on forever and ever. Same with the Wii thread or Campaign 2008.

Think of it as like reading a book. There are short paragraphs and long paragraphs, but you at least get a new one when the thought changes. The mega-threads are like one paragraph going on for dozens of pages. Horrible analogy, I know, but maybe it can give you a visual.

I kind of see what you're saying, I think maybe Campaign 2008 could've been broken up a bit.

As TSM Ombudsman, I like what Dr. Venkman does. If there starts to be a discussion in a megathread or something in a megathread should be a topic, he spins it off into its own topic.