TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Cashman to return to Yankees.

NEW YORK -- Brian Cashman is staying on as general manager of the New York Yankees, agreeing to a three-year contract that runs through 2011.

The Yankees missed the playoffs this season for the first time since 1993. Cashman took over as GM in 1997 and his current deal was set to expire at the end of October.

The move Tuesday was expected, though there had been rumblings that Cashman might be interested in running another club. Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner told Cashman earlier this season that the team wanted him back.

NEW YORK -- Pitchers Cliff Lee of the Cleveland Indians and Brad Lidge of the Philadelphia Phillies were honored Tuesday as baseball's Comeback Players of the Year.

Lee went 22-3 with an American League-leading 2.54 ERA. The previous season, he was 5-8 with a 6.29 ERA and was demoted to the minor leagues.

"I've never seen a season like that," Indians manager Eric Wedge said. "From start to finish he was incredible. There were real reasons for it. He worked hard phyically to get back."

Lidge was a perfect 41-for-41 in save opportunities as the Phillies' closer. In 2007, he converted just 19 of 27 for the Houston Astros.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?i...e=ESPNHeadlines

Cashman could have had a sweet thing with Seattle. Ownership that is willing to spend money, good scouting department, low expectations and committed fans. Maybe they'll grow some balls and hire Kim Ng.

It's a good thing that he will stay and finish what he started in New York, though. As a Sox fan, I really wanted him to leave and for Hank to install a puppet GM. Oh well.

Omar Minaya's extension became official today. It is a four-year extension with two more option years. That's six years for a GM! I was one of the few people that actually supported him returning, but that's just overly excessive considering Cashman and Epstein just signed new three-year extensions.

Stolen directly from MLB Trade Rumors, Elias rankings for free-agent NL starters.

• Type A: C.C. Sabathia, Ben Sheets, Oliver Perez, Derek Lowe, and Jamie Moyer. Moyer is on the borderline, so he could possibly end up a Type B. He seems likely to re-sign anyway. The other four will be offered arbitration and could sign elsewhere, netting two draft picks for their old team.

• Type B: Brad Penny, John Smoltz, Randy Wolf, Greg Maddux, Braden Looper. Not all of these guys will be offered arbitration, though Wolf is a good bet.

• Neither A nor B: Randy Johnson, Livan Hernandez, Tom Glavine, Odalis Perez. Johnson just missed Type B, so he might sneak in there. It only really affects the D'Backs.

Not sure where to put this, as it an interesting, but essentially meaningless tidbit. David DeJesus of the Royals was the most efficient RBI man in baseball this year, knocking in 21.47% of all baserunners that were on when he came to bat. Ryan Howard was tops in the NL at just over 20%.

I don't really know if this is a repeatable skill, but maybe there is something to the Yankees rumored pursuit of DeJesus. It's certainly not his defense, which rated out as poor by most metrics.

Oh, and what's the deal with the Yankees shopping Cano? I don't put a ton of stock in trade rumors, but it seems like his name is dropped in almost every rumored deal out there. Has management soured on him that much? Or is it just a matter of moving talent to acquire pieces that are needed elsewhere?

I think he's just the most tradeable piece they have, and they need a centerfielder. I don't see the Kemp-Cano deal working out though, I think the Dodgers really get the short end of that stick. Cano for Ethier maybe, but can Ethier play center?

I think he's just the most tradeable piece they have, and they need a centerfielder. I don't see the Kemp-Cano deal working out though, I think the Dodgers really get the short end of that stick. Cano for Ethier maybe, but can Ethier play center?

I don't think that Ethier can play center. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

That Cano-Kemp deal seems suspicious to me as well. Dodgers give up the better player and have to take on payroll? That doesn't make much sense to me, unless there are pieces in place for an expanded deal that we don't know about.

If the Yankees swing that deal, and can acquire Hudson and Teixeira in free agency, look out. That basically solves their defensive issues and still leaves them enough money to acquire a big pitcher.

Robinson Cano isn't a bad defender. They just don't like his plate discipline.

Wasn't trying to say that he's bad, but Hudson is that much better. With Jeter still at short they really need someone elite at 2B. Do you know how incredible Wang will look if he's got Hudson and Teixeira in that infield?

That's true, but I still don't think he's that far behind Hudson either.

The Yankees need to focus on getting a centerfielder. We sucked ass because Cano, our catcher position, and CF gave us squat.

Austin Jackson posted a line of .285/.354/.419 in AA Trenton this season. That does not see impressive at first glance. Jackson though is just 21 years old, and Trenton is one of the toughest hitters' park in all of professional baseball. (It sits on the shore of the Delaware River. Remember this point by the way the next time a Yankees pitching prospect breezes through Double A.)

A one year rental would make a lot of sense. Jim Edmonds is out there and failing that, maybe Mark Kotsay. Jackson should be ready by 2010 at the latest.

Austin Jackson posted a line of .285/.354/.419 in AA Trenton this season. That does not see impressive at first glance. Jackson though is just 21 years old, and Trenton is one of the toughest hitters' park in all of professional baseball. (It sits on the shore of the Delaware River. Remember this point by the way the next time a Yankees pitching prospect breezes through Double A.)

A one year rental would make a lot of sense. Jim Edmonds is out there and failing that, maybe Mark Kotsay. Jackson should be ready by 2010 at the latest.

Or if they can acquire Kemp, he just shifts to rightfield in 2010 or whenever Jackson is ready.

ESPN crawler says that Jerry Manuel and the Mets agreed to a two-year deal with a club option for a third.

Looking at the Cubs, they are going to need a center fielder, possibly a right fielder depending on what happens with Fuko (he needs work, a lot of it to fix his swing), and they might want to still look into another pitcher.

I hope the Cubs let loose Howry, I would like Kerry back but I'm not going to cry if he doesn't, Dempster I'd like to see back but I want Harden back before him and if they can get CC then I guess Ryan can leave. The team NEEDS a left handed bat with power but is more concerned with making contact and driving in runs. Fuko could become that but it all depends on whether or not he believes he has a problem with his swing and if Lou has any confidence left in him.

I heard Carl Crawford would be available but I sorta remember the Rays having options on him til 2010. And I don't know if the Rays would consider dealing him or if the Cubs have anyone they could even bother to offer up.

My dream, no chance in hell of happening 2009 Cubs.

LF- Soriano

CF- Crawford

RF- DeRosa ( I have Fuko down in the minors, not done with the club, I don't blame him for nothing)

C- Soto

1B- Lee

2B- Orlando Hudson (I don't think it's possible but I see it more likely than Roberts!)

SS- Theriot

3B- Ram

Dempster/ CC (either one, I'm fine honestly and I think Demp is the more logical conclusion)

Zambrano

Harden

Lily

Marshall (if they can find another pitcher, go for it)

I don't see a reason for an overhaul, mainly finding new pieces who can solve the woes the team has. The team needed a spark the last two post-seasons and there was no offensive spark. Edmonds is going to retire and even if he doesn't, he'll be 39 or 40 next year so he'd be a good guy to have off the bench at best. It's not that I don't believe he can play it's just eventually his age will catch him and it's too much of a risk to hope his body handles an entire season again. The problem I'm seeing is I don't know if the Cubs have ANY money left. Unless they dump on of the contract three (Ram, Soriano, Lee) then I don't if they could afford anyone. I think they just need to find ONE bat

More logical line-up

LF- Soriano

CF- Pie/Edmonds

RF- Fuko?

C- Soto

1B- Lee

2B- DeRosa

SS- Theriot

3B- Ram

P

Zambrano

Dempster

Harden

Lily

Marquis

I don't see the team as damaged so much as they have no confidence in the post-season. They need someone who can give them a match-up against right handed pitchers and who won't vanish in the post-season with the rest of them. To just leave this same right handed heavy line-up and hope it doesn't vanish for a THIRD straight season is insane. They need only a few pieces because I firmly believe most of it is still there. But time is running out on it again and it needs one more shove.

ETA: Wait a moment, is Brian Roberts a free agent? Is there a list of free agents for next year that is actually accurate?

The NL Central is going to be interesting again next season. How about this time the Brewers win it and deal with the NL West? I know they can win it, hope they do. If I never see the NL West in the first round again, I will be more than damn thrilled.

Protected First-Round Picks

1. Nationals (59-102)

2. Mariners (61-101)

3. Padres (63-99)

4. Pirates (67-95)

5. Orioles (68-93)

6. Giants (72-90)

7. Braves (72-90)

8. Reds (74-88)

9. Tigers (74-88)

10. Nationals (compensation for failure to sign 2008 first-rounder Aaron Crow)

11. Rockies (74-88)

12. Royals (75-87)

13. Athletics (75-86)

14. Rangers (79-83)

15. Indians (81-81)

16. Diamondbacks (82-80)

Unprotected First-Round Picks

17. Dodgers (84-78)

18. Marlins (84-77)

19. Cardinals (86-76)

20. Blue Jays (86-76)

21. Astros (86-75)

22. Mariners (compensaton for failure to sign 2008 first-rounder Joshua Fields)

23. Twins (88-75)

24. White Sox (89-74)

25. Mets (89-73)

26. Yankees (89-73)

27. Brewers (90-72)

28. Phillies (92-70)

29. Red Sox (95-67)

30. Rays (97-65)

31. Yankees (compensation for failure to sign 2008 first-rounder Gerrit Cole)

32. Cubs (97-64)

33. Angels (100-62)

What happens if somebody with a protected pick signs a Type A?

They keep the pick but lose their second-rounder.

The team losing the free agent gets a compensation pick in the sandwich round.

ETA: Wait a moment, is Brian Roberts a free agent? Is there a list of free agents for next year that is actually accurate?

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/

Cot's Baseball Contracts. Roberts isn't a free agent. I think the Cubs offense is in good shape, though they could probably use another outfielder as Fukudome insurance. They have a few bullpen guys on the market and they will probably need another starting pitcher.

There's a rumor afoot that the Mets have fielded some phone calls from the Yankees about Carlos Beltran. The proposed trade is Cano/Kennedy/someone from the Yanks pen/a prospect for Carlos Beltran. I'd be pretty unhappy with that. The prospect would have to be Austin Jackson and the Yankees would have to take on Luis Castillo's awful contract...and even that I don't really like. Hopefully this is a bunch of bullshit.

There's a rumor afoot that the Mets have fielded some phone calls from the Yankees about Carlos Beltran. The proposed trade is Cano/Kennedy/someone from the Yanks pen/a prospect for Carlos Beltran. I'd be pretty unhappy with that. The prospect would have to be Austin Jackson and the Yankees would have to take on Luis Castillo's awful contract...and even that I don't really like. Hopefully this is a bunch of bullshit.

If that's true, they should rip up that contract extension for Minaya.

Also, the way I heard it is Cano+Bruney+Kennedy+Prospie+Money for Beltran. The source of this rumor is really shaky, so I'd file this under not happening.

I remember proposing a Cano for Beltran trade during the season to my friend, a Met fan, and he was like hellll no, and still is. This would be a great trade for the Yankees, although I hope they wouldn't end up paying part of Cano's contract since Beltran makes a ton.

Former MLB pitcher Kevin Foster died Saturday of renal cancer at age 39. Foster, who pitched for the Cubs, Phillies, and Rangers, was never a great pitcher and something of a long shot to even be in the majors. Still, he was a sentimental favorite of mine during his time with Chicago. I still remember coming home from school one spring afternoon and watching Foster strike out something like five of the first six hitters he faced.

Joba Chamberlain arrested for DUI

LINCOLN, Neb. - New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain has been arrested for allegedly driving under the influence, speeding and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle. Deborah Collins is a spokeswoman for the Nebraska State Patrol. She says Chamberlain was stopped for speeding on U.S. 77 near his hometown of Lincoln at about 1 a.m. on Saturday. Collins says Chamberlain was taken to the Cornhusker Place Detox in Lincoln, which she says is the normal protocol. Chamberlain was lodged at the center on charges of driving under the influence, having an open container of alcohol and speeding. Collins says the county attorney likely would file formal charges on Monday. An e-mail sent to Chamberlain's agent Saturday was not immediately returned.