TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Guest Smues

Pete Van Wieren retired. Damn. But it doesn't surprise me, once Skip died I expected him to quit soon.

Also, this puts Tony Schiavone that much closer to be a Braves announcer. That will be the most exciting day in the history of our sport!

From mlbtraderumors.com

According to Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post, the Rockies have made it known to rival executives that left fielder Matt Holliday is available. Renck names the Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, Mets, Royals, and Nationals as potential suitors. I still find the oft-mentioned Red Sox idea to be far-fetched.

The Rockies would prefer to move corner infielder Garrett Atkins, however. The Angels, Twins, and Red Sox are cited as potential fits. However, other teams are surely aware of Atkins' defensive struggles at third base and questionable hitting away from Coors Field. Renck says the Angels' interest will depend on their ability to re-sign Mark Teixeira.

Starting pitching seems to be the Rockies' target return for either player. They'd be giving up one year of Holliday and two of Atkins, plus the likely draft pick compensation.

The rumors in Cincy for a few months have been the Reds are hot after Holliday or Magglio Ordonez. They want a big right handed bat for the middle of the lineup to put between Votto and Bruce. They wanted Holliday at the trade deadline but the Rockies wanted Cueto plus 2 A level prospects, so talks ended. I wouldn't deal Cueto straight up for Holliday, so I hope this doesn't happen. Reds ownership has committed to raising the payroll, most expect around 90 million, meaning the Reds should have about 33 million to spend this offseason. It will be interesting to see what Walt Jocketty does.

I've made a list of the ten biggest names who will likely change addresses this offseason (either through free agency or a trade). Anyone want to take guesses as to where these players end up, and what sort of package it takes to get them (either in terms of money or prospects)?

CC Sabathia

Mark Teixeira

Matt Holliday

Jake Peavy

AJ Burnett

Manny Ramirez

Ben Sheets

Francisco Rodriguez

Pat Burrell

Adam Dunn

If there is anyone else you'd like to throw in, go for it. Plenty of other names out there (Lowe, Furcal, Cabrerea, Fuentes, Atkins, etc.).

Here's my list of the top ten free agents in terms of 2008 Win Shares.

1. Manny Ramirez (34)

2. Mark Teixeira (30)

3. C.C. Sabathia (25)

4. Bobby Abreu (24)

5. Carlos Delgado (24)

6. Raul Ibanez (23)

7. Pat Burrell (21)

8. Garret Anderson (19)

9. Ken Griffey Jr. (19)

10. Mike Mussina (18)

11. Ryan Dempster (18)

12. Casey Blake (18)

And we already have a trade, Marlins trade Mike Jacobs to the Royals for reliever Leo Nunez.

Also Ken Macha will be named as the new manager of the Brewers.

Mike Jacobs had a line of .247/.299/.514 this year. The 32 HR are nice, but I would think that there are better options out there for 1B. The Royals already have Ryan Shealy on the roster, who could probably put up comparable numbers if given the job full time. Don't understand this trade from their perspective.

Jacobs is relatively cheap lefty power, plus they have the DH spot to play with. Billy Butler got most of the ABs there last year and he kind of sucked. I don't think the Royals had a single player put up an .800+ OPS last year, which Jacobs has done twice in his three full seasons. Not a bad move for the Royals.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I think Macha is one of those guys that just kicks back and watches a game, and is sort of aloof in the clubhouse and media room. That's probably the right change of pace for the team after Ned Yost overstrategizing himself into oblivion ("15-man pitching staff? Excellent! They'll never know what hit 'em!") and screaming at people from drinking too much coffee. I like it.

I think Macha is one of those guys that just kicks back and watches a game, and is sort of aloof in the clubhouse and media room. That's probably the right change of pace for the team after Ned Yost overstrategizing himself into oblivion ("15-man pitching staff? Excellent! They'll never know what hit 'em!") and screaming at people from drinking too much coffee. I like it.

I liked Macha's attitude at the press conference yesterday. He's not an overly exciting choice, but I think you are right that the change of pace with him could be good for the Brewers.

Speaking of Yost, rumor has it that he could be a candidate for the Mariners position, now that former Brewers scouting director Jack Zurdencik (sp?) is the Seattle GM.

A few newsbits:

-The Red Sox exercised their option on Tim Wakefield for next year. That $4 million perpetual option has to be the most team-friendly contract in sports.

-Not surprisingly, Teixeira, Sheets and Manny all filed for free agency. There were 65 players in all who filed on first day.

-Edgar Renteria and Ken Griffey had their options declined. Renteria might resign for a lower amount, but Griffey's looking for work.

Grif should try and go back to Seattle and call it a career. The tank is on empty and he might as well prepare for the ending of it. He can still sorta hit the ball and it seems like Seattle needed someone to plug the DH hole. Might as well be Griffey.

Ben Sheets might be one of those high risk vs higher rewards style free agents. You know if he stays healthy, he's one of the best pitchers in baseball. However that 'if he stays healthy' seems to become a bigger if each season. I don't think the Brewers want him to come back after watching him call ahead every month to reserve a 15 day stint on the DL.

Tex I'm hoping ends up in Baltimore to solve at least that one HUGE problem they have but I don't think Petey boy ponies up the money.

Trading Jacobs was addition by subtraction. You might notice the 32 HR but he was a black hole of suck day in and day out.

Good riddance.

According to Keith Law, the Marlins were probably going to non-tender Mike Jacobs. The Royals could have actually had him for nothing. Looks like Dayton Moore got Mike Singletary'd on this one.

Fielding Bible awards are out.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2008/...new_testame.php

Here are the Fielding Bible Awards for the 2008 season (with commentary provided by John Dewan of Baseball Info Solutions):

First Base – Albert Pujols, St. Louis

He was the only repeat winner last year, and now Albert Pujols is the only three-time winner of the Fielding Bible Award. But this time it wasn’t so easy. Mark Teixeira gave him a run for his money. Pujols finished with 90 points while Teixeira pulled in 88. One flip-flop would have garnered Teixeira at least a tie for first. Five panelists gave first place to the slugger from St. Louis while the late-season Angels star earned four. Former Angel Casey Kotchman received the final firstplace vote.

Second Base – Brandon Phillips, Cincinnati

This one surprised me, but it shouldn’t have. Brandon Phillips finished third in our voting last year and now has won his first Fielding Bible Award with 86 points. I voted for Chase Utley, who had the highest Plus/Minus figure at any position this year (+47 – see the Kenny Rogers discussion below for more information about the Plus/Minus System). But the panelists who watched Phillips play more regularly have seen what he can do on the field and rewarded him accordingly.

Third Base – Adrian Beltre, Seattle

It was a runaway victory for Adrian Beltre. Beltre won the award two years ago in the closest vote we’ve ever had (the tiebreaker was invoked) but this year his 36-point margin of victory, 90 points compared to 64 points for second-place finisher Evan Longoria, was the second largest margin of victory in this year’s voting. Longoria showed that the rookie hype for him wasn’t just about his prodigious bat. He can flash the leather as well.

Shortstop – Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia

Jimmy Rollins won his first Gold Glove last year, and this year he wins his first Fielding Bible Award. The year started slow for Rollins. He didn’t begin to show up on the Plus/Minus leaderboard at shortstop until well into the season, thanks primarily to his early-season injury. But he got it going and overtook Yunel Escobar in the last week of the season to win the Plus/Minus Crown with +23. Rollins also led all shortstops with the most Good Fielding Plays (65) by a good margin over Orlando Cabrera (55) and Erick Aybar (55). Rollins’ 88 points in the voting, compared to 59 points for runner-up J.J. Hardy, represented this year’s largest margin of victory. Escobar finished third in our voting, Aybar fourth and Cabrera sixth.

Left Field – Carl Crawford, Tampa Bay

He’s baaack! And he didn’t even have to play a full season to win it. Carl Crawford missed most of the month of September but still wins the Fielding Bible Award in left field for 2008 with 87 points. It’s his second award, having won it in 2006. In 2007, he finished second to Eric Byrnes by a mere three points. Despite the missed time, Crawford held off Willie Harris’ late run for the highest Plus/Minus total in left field (+23 to +22).

Center Field – Carlos Beltran, New York Mets

Like Carl Crawford in left, Carlos Beltran won the award for center fielders in 2006, but he finished second to Andruw Jones in a close battle in 2007. Now he wins his second Fielding Bible Award with 82 points. Minnesota’s rookie speedster Carlos Gomez (74 points) finished second. Unlike Crawford, Beltran played injury free in 2008, starting 158 games in center field for the Mets, the highest total of his career.

Right Field – Franklin Gutierrez, Cleveland

Franklin Gutierrez led all right fielders in Plus/Minus last year with +20, although he did not win the Fielding Bible Award. To show that 2007 was no fluke, however, Gutierrez led them again this year with +29. Here’s the amazing part: he did it while playing only 88 games in right field in 2007 and only 97 games this year. Gutierrez received 85 total points from our panel and is a first-time Fielding Bible Award winner in right field.

Catcher – Yadier Molina, St. Louis

Maybe his brothers are getting jealous; they’re creeping up on him. But it’s a repeat Fielding Bible Award for Yadier Molina in 2008 (88 points). Jose Molina finished tied for second with Jason Kendall of the Brewers this year at 63 points. With Bengie Molina placing eighth in the voting, it’s the first time any set of two brothers, much less three, have cracked the top ten in our Fielding Bible Award voting. That record may stand for quite some time.

Pitcher – Kenny Rogers, Detroit

Greg Maddux of the Dodgers has won the National League Gold Glove Award for pitchers in 17 of the last 18 years. The American League Award has gone to Kenny Rogers of Detroit in five of the last eight years. But are they truly the two best fielding pitchers in baseball? Were they really the best in each and every year that they won? Aren’t these two guys getting pretty old? Aren’t there some younger studs out there to take their places?

Full voting results can be found here: http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbib...e-votetally.asp

Who does the fielding +/- report thing? Is that out yet?

That is done by John Dewan and ACTA Sports. The numbers are available on the Bill James website for a small fee. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until they put out the next Fielding Bible book next Spring.

on tonights Sports final in Philly Howard Eskin said The Phillies had a deal worked out at the deadline to send Ryan Howard to The Dodgers for James Loney and players. He said The Dodgers actually pulled out of the deal at the last minute.

He also said Burrell's agent turned down 2 years 22 Million.

Eskin is all around pretty reliable when it comes to rumors. He nailed the Elton Brand deal earlier this year

The Phillies officially announced Ruben Amaro, Jr. as their new GM this morning in a press conference. He's been around during the Ed Wade and Pat Gillick era, the two minds behind our current team. Let's hope he's learned from both GM's and can become one of the best in the game. He's already had experience talking to agents and players like a true GM while he was an assistant, so I'm happy with this selection. See ya, Mike Arbuckle.

Also, that Howard deal would have blown my mind. I still don't let him go right now. He would have had a chip on his shoulder in the NLCS and probably would have taken Phils pitching as well as Manny did.

I've made a list of the ten biggest names who will likely change addresses this offseason (either through free agency or a trade). Anyone want to take guesses as to where these players end up, and what sort of package it takes to get them (either in terms of money or prospects)?

CC Sabathia

Mark Teixeira

Matt Holliday

Jake Peavy

AJ Burnett

Manny Ramirez

Ben Sheets

Francisco Rodriguez

Pat Burrell

Adam Dunn

If there is anyone else you'd like to throw in, go for it. Plenty of other names out there (Lowe, Furcal, Cabrerea, Fuentes, Atkins, etc.).

Things are a little slow at the office today, so I'll give this a shot.

Sabathia - Brewers: Milwaukee makes a big pitch on a short deal (say 4 years, $100 million) and Sabathia resigns. It's a discount over better offers, but he takes it knowing he can go back on the market in a few.

Teixeira - Yankees: NY misses out on Sabathia and goes all in on the 1B. Contract ends up around 8 years, $160 million.

Holliday - Phillies: Not sure where Holliday ends up. I'll take a guess that Philly loses Burrell in free agency and makes a big pitch to bring Holliday on board. Perhaps a package built around Victorino is the answer.

Peavy - Braves: Atlanta nuts up and parts with their big prospects to get something done.

Burnett - Yankees: After Sabathia goes, bidding gets out of control for Burnett. Red Sox and Orioles make a big push, but NY goes five years, $90 million and gets it done.

Manny - Dodgers: Ramirez finds the contract offers to be a little less than what he was expecting. LA seals the deal with a two year offer for $55 million.

Sheets - Braves: After securing Peavy through a trade, Atlanta turns their eye to free agency and uses their cash reserves to get Sheets on a short term deal. Three years, $51 million gets it done.

K-Rod - Mets: New York intends to stay out of it, but the market gets crazy for Fuentes and Minaya decides that Rodriguez is the better deal. It takes five years, $65 million to get it done.

Burrell - Rays: Tampa Bay uses the extra playoff revenue to secure that big middle of the order bat.

Dunn - Nationals: Adam Dunn becomes the bargain basement power hitter on the market, getting pursued heavily by the Royals, Nats and Mariners. Washington signs him to a four year, $60 million deal.

CC Sabathia--Yankees, signs despite wanting to go to west coast because Yanks make him the highest paid pitcher in baseball history

Mark Teixeira--Yankees, signs for close to 200 million

Matt Holliday--Honestly, I don't have a clue

Jake Peavy--Braves, Atlanta wants him, he wants to go there, deal will get done eventually

AJ Burnett--Yankees, they need pitching badly, and will spend more to give CC and good #2

Manny Ramirez--Dodgers, they almost have to despite the price

Ben Sheets--Mets, they better pray he stays healthy

Francisco Rodriguez--Mets, going into the new stadium they'll really try and spend this winter

Pat Burrell--Maybe Indians who need an outfield bat, but not really sure

Adam Dunn--Nats or Indians depending on if they sign Burrell

As far as the Howard deal, right now he's a better player than James Loney straight up. Loney's OBP after 1000+ at bats is .353, not really outstanding for a first baseman. You can look at the monetary savings, but when you have a championship nucleus and an extremely popular player, you don't want to start tinkering with it.

As far as the Howard deal, right now he's a better player than James Loney straight up. Loney's OBP after 1000+ at bats is .353, not really outstanding for a first baseman. You can look at the monetary savings, but when you have a championship nucleus and an extremely popular player, you don't want to start tinkering with it.

Ryan Howard put up a .339 OBP in over 600 at bats last year. Somewhat out of line with his career average, but for a 28-year-old first baseman with old player skills, I wouldn't count out that his best days are already behind him.

I wouldn't go so far to say that Philadelphia should trade Howard, but if you can move him in the right deal I say go for it. He's due for some outrageous arbitration claims the next couple of seasons, and really, the production isn't quite where it should be for that kind of money.

Ryan Howard put up a .339 OBP in over 600 at bats last year. Somewhat out of line with his career average, but for a 28-year-old first baseman with old player skills, I wouldn't count out that his best days are already behind him.

I wouldn't go so far to say that Philadelphia should trade Howard, but if you can move him in the right deal I say go for it. He's due for some outrageous arbitration claims the next couple of seasons, and really, the production isn't quite where it should be for that kind of money.

Howard is overpaid, but given what he's done for this franchise and his power, I think you have to carry him. It's hard to measure, but the culture of the Phillies has changed tremendously over the last five years. Attendance is way up and the team is white hot. I don't think the Phillies can suffer the P.R. hit.

Boras sets parameters for Manny deal 11/04/08 11:56 PM EST

Says slugger should be 'treated at the same stature' as A-Rod, Bonds By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Scott Boras hit the hotel lobby on Tuesday and said he was setting up meetings with Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti to talk about the future of his top client, free agent Manny Ramirez.

But Boras, the agent who also represents other top free agents such as Mark Teixeira, Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek, laid down the gauntlet as far as Ramirez is concerned: He expects Manny to be recognized with the same length of contract and a similar rate of pay as Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez.

"I did Barry Bonds' contract with Ned [with San Francisco in 2001] when he was a year older than Manny," Boras said. "Back then there really wasn't a benchmark. But last year, when we did Alex the key negotiating point was that he be paid to the same age that Barry Bonds was paid. And so we have two extraordinary hitters in Bonds and A-Rod that were paid to the age of 42.

"Bonds was a franchise player who literally paid for himself with the people he put in the seats and his historic home run performance. Those players are like Manny Ramirez."

Bonds, the all-time leader with 762 homers, was 37 years old when he signed a five-year, $90 million contract with the Giants after his historic 73-homer season in 2001. A-Rod was 32 last year when he signed a 10-year, $275 million contract with the Yankees.

Ramirez is now 36, which prescribes a six-year deal for him under the Boras formula. That would seem to preclude the Dodgers, who internally have been discussing offering Ramirez two years at $55 million, although that offer -- or any offer at all -- has yet to be made.

Asked if he would accept a shorter contract at this point, Boras said: "Let's see, would you rather have desert and coffee? No, I think Manny realizes he wants to go to a place where he'll be there a long time and being part of an organization. And this point he's just looking to be treated at the same stature as other players who are at that unique level of Bonds and A-Rod."

As far as the Dodgers go, Boras said he had been in contact with Colletti via text messages, but declined to say whether he'd actually spoken with him on the phone or met in person.

Colletti made it clear on Tuesday that the two parties had not yet met.

"I have a couple of meetings set up, with Scott," he said. "It'll be the first time we've talked about [Manny]. I expect it to go the way initial meetings go."

Colletti again made it clear that other free-agent signings could preclude the Dodgers from inking Ramirez later in the offseason. The Dodgers are interested in signing free-agent left-hander CC Sabathia, who pitched the Brewers into the postseason after being acquired from the Indians in July.

The Dodgers are also talking to a pair of their own free agents, Casey Blake and Rafael Furcal.

"We have to go about our business," Colletti said. "Any time you have more than one player you feel the need to add, you have to take them as the time line dictates, as circumstances dictate. Timing is an important piece of it. You can't dictate it. We've called our free agents and told them of our interest. They've expressed interest in coming back and also finding out what's out there. There's risk with everybody -- maybe some added risk with some [players]."

The Dodgers obtained Ramirez from the Red Sox in a last-minute July 31 non-waiver deadline trade. Ramirez quickly became a fan favorite and had a huge impact on the field, carrying the Dodgers past the D-backs to win the National League West title and as far as Game 5 of the NL Championship Series, where they were eliminated by the eventual World Series champion Phillies.

In 53 games with Los Angeles, Ramirez batted .396 with 17 homers and 53 RBIs as the Dodgers drew 3.7 million, second in the NL only to the Mets. In eight postseason games, Ramirez batted .520 (13-for-25) with four homers and 10 RBIs.

Previous to that, Ramirez and the Red Sox had won the World Series twice in four years.

Boras scoffed at the notion that the Dodgers might not be able to sign Ramirez if they spend their money on others first.

"I don't know how many deals are out there that pay for themselves and are for a franchise player," he said. "If there are I don't know of any. There may be one or two, but not too many."

Barry M. Bloom is a national reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs