TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Im not sure about this 3 team deal I heard about..

Cubs get Jake Peavy

Orioles get Felix Pie

Padres get Garrett Olson from the Orioles and Sean Marshall from the Cubs plus more probably

I dont undertstand. The Os rejected Olson for Kahlil Greene earlier and they need a SS worse than they need another LF but the Padres apparently really like Olson and the Cubs dont have enough to do the trade on their own.

I wish we could get someone else in the deal, maybe the Padres would add Greene too? Im surprised its a deal with the Cubs and no mention of Roberts. Olson probably is on the outside looking in at a roatation spot for the Orioles in 09 unless they dont sign someone but even then I still dont think he'd make their rotation unless there were injuries, and thats saying a lot.

Cubs get Jake Peavy

Orioles get Felix Pie

Padres get Garrett Olson from the Orioles and Sean Marshall from the Cubs plus more probably

I dont undertstand. The Os rejected Olson for Kahlil Greene earlier and they need a SS worse than they need another LF but the Padres apparently really like Olson and the Cubs dont have enough to do the trade on their own.

I wish we could get someone else in the deal, maybe the Padres would add Greene too? Im surprised its a deal with the Cubs and no mention of Roberts. Olson probably is on the outside looking in at a roatation spot for the Orioles in 09 unless they dont sign someone but even then I still dont think he'd make their rotation unless there were injuries, and thats saying a lot.

I definately call bullshit on that trade. B level pitching prospects for Peavy?

Cubs get Jake Peavy

Orioles get Felix Pie

I definately call bullshit on that trade. B level pitching prospects for Peavy?

Link

Marshall isn't necessarily the player the Cubs give up either, just the only pitcher I saw mentioned. The Padres apparently like Olson and he's from southern california for what its worth. He'd probably end up putting up good numbers pitching in Petco but anyway..

Guest Czecherbear

If I see one more Cubs trade involving pawning off any of the Marshall/Cedeno/Pie/Hoffpauir dogshit for a legit superstar player, I'm going to gouge my eyes out with a rusted melon baller. Enough already.

If I see one more Cubs trade involving pawning off any of the Marshall/Cedeno/Pie/Hoffpauir dogshit for a legit superstar player, I'm going to gouge my eyes out with a rusted melon baller. Enough already.

Thats about how I felt about Roberts to the Cubs earlier this year.

Hampton returning to Astros

Deal is pending physical; lefty won 22 games for Houston in '99

By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Astros HeadlinesHampton, Astros reunite, pending physical

Mailbag: Unmasking the starting catcher

Astros ponder Wolf, Brocail arbitration

Royals ink House to Minors deal

Astros slow down talks with Wolf

More Astros Headlines

MLB HeadlinesHampton, Astros reunite, pending physical

Henderson leads 2009 Hall of Fame ballot

Crew offers CC, Sheets, Shouse arbitration

Tigers decline arbitration for Renteria

Peavy deal wouldn't be easy for Cubs

More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page e-mail this page RSS feeds post on facebook post a comment Complete Hot Stove coverage

HOUSTON -- The Astros have a deal in place with left-hander Mike Hampton, pending a physical, MLB.com has learned.

General manager Ed Wade declined to comment.

Hampton, 36, will be in Houston either Monday or Tuesday to take the physical, which is usually the final step before a team and player finalize a deal. An announcement confirming an agreement between the free agent and the Astros could arrive sometime on Tuesday, assuming Hampton passes.

It's been nine years since Hampton last threw a pitch for the Astros, but in September, he expressed an interest in returning to Houston. He started the final game of the season in Houston as a member of the Braves pitching staff and said after the game he would be open to negotiating with the Astros.

"I've always loved this place," he told MLB.com after the game. "Definitely. I'm sure there will be interest on both sides. We'll see if we can work something out. I've always loved it here."

Hampton enjoyed some of the best years of his career during his years with the Astros from 1996-99. He won 15 games in '97 and was on the mound when the Astros clinched their first National League Central title. In '99, he won 22 games, finishing in second place in the Cy Young Award voting behind Randy Johnson.

Hampton has had his share of injury issues in the past several years, including a strained left oblique that kept him out of action for the entire 2007 season. He also had surgery on a torn flexor tendon in his left elbow that year.

He injured his right hamstring during an appearance in the Mexican Winter League last November, and he was sidelined from his first start of the season for the Braves in April when he strained a left pectoral muscle minutes before the game.

However, Hampton went on to make 13 starts this year while compiling a 3-4 record and a 4.85 ERA. He was strong in September, allowing 16 earned runs over six starts, spanning 38 innings for a 3.79 ERA.

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I guess the rumors of the Astros payroll inflexibility are true and they'll no longer be pursuing Randy Wolf. I was hoping they were slowing negotiations w/ Wolf because of the possibility of somehow being alive in the Peavy sweepstakes, but nope. Hopefully this is a one-year incentive based deal for a few million and they're not counting on Hampton to be a legit #2 starter; however, they probably are, which doesn't bode well for contention in 2009.

Edit: 2 yr. deal worth $2 million plus another $2 million in appearance incentives. Decent.

I'm not sure how common knowledge of the whole Dominican scouting program is, but I really didn't know much about it and thought Dejan Kovacevic's piece in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette yesterday was a pretty interesting read. He's actually doing a 3 part series yesterday, today, and tomorrow about his trip to the Dominican Republic. Today's piece had much more of a Pittsburgh slant, focusing on the deterioration of their old complex and scouting thanks to David Littlefield's now well documented incompetence as GM, and Bob Nutting's attempts to resurrect it since taking control of the club, but part one, and potentially tomorrow's part 3, was what I thought others may enjoy. He goes through the whole process of watching one player get signed and the journey they go through to reach that point. A good read if you're interested in that stuff.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08335/931514-63.stm

So am I allowed to be pissed about the Phillies not offering arbitration to Moyer and Burrell or do we have to go the grace period route?

"Worst case scenario" is that you get your only proven RH power source back at a high number, but with no real commitment. And I know they think they are close with Moyer, but why not ensure that you get something if the contract talks take a wrong turn.

I hope this team doesn't take a step back into the Tim Moss as their first pick because they don't draft until the 3rd round years.

It seems like a lot of owners are waiting as long as possible to see just how bad this economy is going to get. I wonder if there will be much action at the winter meetings. Other then Hampton and Affedlt has anyone signed a free agent?

I know the Reds are rumored to be after Jermaine Dye, but I think they're holding off on pulling the trigger until they get a better idea of the economic outlook for the general public, as disposable income will be non-existent if we are about to enter another depression.

Think about this, players like Abreu, Burrell, Dunn and Renteria weren't offered arb. Teams were so afraid that they may be stuck with one year of salary that they gave up 1st round picks by not offereing arb. That's how bad financial people think this will be.

The Cubs not offering Kerry Wood arbitration makes him a ton more valueable* on the free agent market now. He's got a step up on K-Rod and Fuentes. I'd rather the Mets signed him than K-Rod. I've never liked guys with herky jerky deliveries, and K-Rod and Fuentes are about as jerky as they get. They're injuries waiting to happen. I mean, Kerry Wood is an injury waiting to happen, but he'll be cheaper.

*The word "valueable", not unlike "restaraunt", is a word I will never be able to spell.

Ugh as a Twins fan the rumor i just read makes me sad. Read that the Rays might be willing to move Bartlett and tried to get either Delmon Young or Mr. Let's get Denarded in here, Denard Span.

According to espn.com, Javier Vazquez is headed to the Atlanta Braves in a five-player deal.

Right-handed pitcher Javier Vazquez has been told he's headed from the Chicago White Sox to the Atlanta Braves in a deal which is likely to be finalized on Wednesday.

Vazquez is flying to Atlanta on Wednesday morning for a physical.

A baseball source told ESPN's Peter Gammons that the deal will include four other players, including reliever Boone Logan, who would also go from the White Sox to the Braves.

Among the players expected to go from Atlanta to the Chicago organization are Jo-Jo Reyes, Brett Lillibridge and another top prospect.

Vazquez, 32, was 12-16 last season for the White Sox with a 4.67 ERA in 33 starts. He struck out 200 batters in 208 1/3 innings.

Logan, a left-handed reliever, was 4-4 with a 5.70 ERA out of the White Sox bullpen last year. He had a 2-3 record in 55 appearances.

Reyes was 3-11 with a 5.81 ERA last season for the Braves. He started 22 games.

Lillibridge appeared in 90 games at Triple-A Richmond in the Braves organization. He hit .220 with four home runs and 39 RBIs.

That gives them one of the two starting pitchers they are supposedly looking for this offseason. I'm not much of a Vazquez fan, but it's a low-risk deal for Atlanta. Lillibridge has lost a lot of the luster he had a few seasons ago.

PhuturePhillies.com is doing a reader poll to develop a top Phillies' prospect list. Quite a few of the readers are keen on J.A. Happ, since he's certain to become an MLB caliber pitcher. Please. He's a #5 starter, and hardly proven. A 26 year old as a top prospect just because he's penciled into a rotation slot?

I have my own rough top 30 in my blog if anyone is interested.

Some reports say Jo-Jo Reyes isn't part of the Vasquez deal and it's another starter instead. Some also say Tyler Flowers is part of the deal which would be a nice pickup for the White Sox.

In unrelated news, for some reason I just noticed that my cable company seems to have already picked up the MLB Network, but all it is is a continuous series of shots of various White Sox players jumping up and down in celebration with brief cuts to shots of them being interviewed, only without sound. On the bottom there's a message about how the channel launches January 1. I couldn't be more excited.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox signed second baseman Dustin Pedroia to a six-year deal worth about $40.5MM. The deal buys out two years of free agency and also has a club option for 2015.

Credit: mlbtraderumors.com

Actually, he signed for a little more:

onewealthyshrimp.jpg

Hmm, they might have slightly overpaid.

And Russel Branyan? What, they needed someone who makes less contact than Richie Sexson to take over?

WFan was reporting a rumor of AJ Burnett going to the Braves because they are the only team willing to sign him for 5 years.

This also has to be the most boring off season in years for Baseball. Everyone is waiting for CC to sign.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox signed second baseman Dustin Pedroia to a six-year deal worth about $40.5MM. The deal buys out two years of free agency and also has a club option for 2015.

Credit: mlbtraderumors.com

A fucking steal for both an MVP and Gold Glove winner. I read they were trying to focus more on extending the younger guys (Papelbon, Pedroia, Youkilis) this offseason than throwing money at a big FA pickup with the money they saved by not keeping Manny.

It's funny. When Red Sox players want to stay, and be Red Sox, they actually take less money (Ortiz, Pedroia). The Yankees on the other hand have A-Rod who really wanted to be a Yankee and actually got MORE than he had before. Pettitte really wants to be a Yankee too, but 10 million is too little for him.

No one really wants to be a Yankee and deal with the media and ownership (unless they're the kind of guys that crave attention like A-Rod and Jeter). The huge money is the only plus.

Rumor has it the Astros are saying that Carlos Lee is available. They are intent on cutting payroll, as the falling oil prices have impacted the Houston area quite a bit. He could help some teams, but he has a hugely bloated contract that will make him hard to move.