TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

If CC doesn't want to play for the Yankees, there's no way he's going to sign with the Mets.

I'd imagine he'd actually prefer the Mets over the Yankees, as his preferences are West Coast NL teams, and the Yankees are an East Coast AL team, whereas the Mets are at least an NL team. Not that I want the Mets to pursue C.C. 300 mil is far too much to have tied into two pitchers, and that'd burn all the money we need for a new bullpen and a right handed bat.

I've decided that I'd ideally like the Mets to sign Kerry Wood and trade for Huston Street (among other new bullpen faces, as I'm hoping to shove out everyone except Smith, Stokes and Feliciano) and then get Jon Garland. Bring in someone adequate to compete with Jon Niese for the 5th spot (though I'd ultimately like to see Niese get that spot anyway).

Greg Maddux is scheduled to announce his retirement on Monday. During his prime, the guy was the nastiest non-power pitcher I've ever seen.

Anyone who doesn't vote for Maddux on the HOF ballot should just have his vote taken away.

You know that there will be a couple. Sportswriters can be assholes who like to make a name for themselves doing stupid voting. Like back in 1999 when a writer left Pedro completely off of his MVP ballot because he didn't vote for pitchers. That same writer voted for Pedro in 1998. Or the sportswriter from Chicago who voted Jeter 6th in 2006 behind Arod because he heard from players that Arod was more valuable and clutch.

If CC doesn't want to play for the Yankees, there's no way he's going to sign with the Mets.

I'd imagine he'd actually prefer the Mets over the Yankees, as his preferences are West Coast NL teams, and the Yankees are an East Coast AL team, whereas the Mets are at least an NL team. Not that I want the Mets to pursue C.C. 300 mil is far too much to have tied into two pitchers, and that'd burn all the money we need for a new bullpen and a right handed bat.

I've decided that I'd ideally like the Mets to sign Kerry Wood and trade for Huston Street (among other new bullpen faces, as I'm hoping to shove out everyone except Smith, Stokes and Feliciano) and then get Jon Garland. Bring in someone adequate to compete with Jon Niese for the 5th spot (though I'd ultimately like to see Niese get that spot anyway).

I can understand why Mets fans dont want CC but on the outside looking in it's almost a virtual lock that the Mets would make the playoffs every year with a rotation of CC and Santana as 1 and 2.

Wasn't there a lot of nonsense about the first ballot stuff when Ripken and Gwynn got in? I vaguely recall some douchebag writers saying that if Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb couldn't get 100% of the vote, then no one ever should. I understand the point, but punishing a guy by not voting for him simply because someone else screwed up 70 years earlier is about as bush league a move as there is.

MVP=/=HOF. With the MVP you have a bunch of deserving candidates year in and year out. With a 1st ballot Hall of Famer like Rickey Henderson or Greg Maddux, no. They're in, so don't waffle on it.

Maddux is one of the few guys who might actually be able to attain the mythical 100% vote. Unlike others who came close in recent years, there is just so little to nit-pick on when it comes to his resume, and I can't imagine there's anyone out there he personally offended or rubbed the wrong way.

Of course, I'm sure there will be at least one asshole who doesn't vote for him because he's from the "steroids era" and thus is guilty until proven innocent for using performance enhancing drugs.

Buster Olney has a report that the Mets, rather than having a primary target, have decided to sign one closer by offering deals to K-Rod (3 yrs, $36 million), Brian Fuentes (3 yrs, $30 million), and Kerry Wood(2 yrs, $16-18 million) and signing whoever accepts theirs first. I think I might like this approach.

Buster Olney has a report that the Mets, rather than having a primary target, have decided to sign one closer by offering deals to K-Rod (3 yrs, $36 million), Brian Fuentes (3 yrs, $30 million), and Kerry Wood(2 yrs, $16-18 million) and signing whoever accepts theirs first. I think I might like this approach.

Hahaha, they are following the old Brian Cashman approach. The Yankees one off season made offers to Steve Karsay and Mike Stanton and who ever called back first was the one that they signed. It ended up being Karsay.

One can't fault the Mets for their aggressive approach, as they clearly have the money to spend anyway. When you can be in the driver's seat, there's no reason to dick around waiting for guys to get back to you while they shop themselves to other teams.

As for the daily Sabathia update: Supposedly the Brewers could be upping their initial offer to 6 years/110 million. I don't think that will get it done, but you can't say they aren't trying.

Guest Czecherbear

Jermaine Dye's not what I'd call a National League player at this juncture.

It was clear that Bailey was never going to succeed in Cincy and needed to be moved, but talk about selling low on a guy. Dye doesn't have a whole lot left in the tank and he makes a boat load of money. He won't do much for a lousy Reds team.

Once again, good deal or not, I can't figure out what Ken Williams' plan is. Last year they needed to rebuild and he bought all winter long. Now the team looks like a potential contender and he sells. His style works more often than not, but talk about a schizophrenic GM.

Probably finally saw the writing on the wall and figured they should just go ahead with the rebuilding. I'm fine with that. I've resigned to the fact the Rays, Red Sox, Yankees, Angels and few others are in better positions than the White Sox.

Varitek declined arbitration, which will most likely end his career as a Red Sox (or Red Sock... Czech).

Good luck finding that multi-year deal, buddy. Guess there is still a chance that the Sox bring him back on a one-year deal, but I can't believe that Boras talked him out of one year at $10 million+. If he somehow finds his way to another major league roster that's a draft pick for Boston, which is just gravy on top of finally getting a new catcher.

Guest Czecherbear

I don't think the White Sox are rebuilding just yet, nor are they noticably improving. Quentin's awesome, Alexei Ramirez moves to shortstop which improves the team a lot, but they have another Cuban guy coming in to man third, Chris Getz at second who is essentially unproven, KonThoDye can still knock it out of the park but they're getting even slower and older, and who the hell knows what Brian Anderson will ever be. Rotation looks solid with Buehrle/Danks/Floyd, but Broadway and Richard are ?s. Looks like an 86-win team to me, maybe second, probably third.

Varitek declined arbitration, which will most likely end his career as a Red Sox (or Red Sock... Czech).

Good luck finding that multi-year deal, buddy. Guess there is still a chance that the Sox bring him back on a one-year deal, but I can't believe that Boras talked him out of one year at $10 million+. If he somehow finds his way to another major league roster that's a draft pick for Boston, which is just gravy on top of finally getting a new catcher.

Whhhaaattttttttttt????????????? Is Varitek beyond stupid now? He passed up on a 10 million dollar deal at least? Does he not know that he was probably the worst everyday posistional hitter in all of baseball last year? Pudge has a better chance of getting more money than Varitek.

I'm not really sure what to think, but Bailey needed a change and Dye has the potential to hit 30-40 home runs from the right side to go along with Bruce and Votto from the left. The Reds are one team willing to spend this offseason, they are willing to up the payroll to 90 million if need be, and are about 30 mill a year under that mark right now. Reportedly they have the highest amount out there for Furcal and Arthur Rhodes. And are looking for a catcher no matter the price

The lineup of:

Furcal

Phillips

Votto

Dye

Bruce

Encarnacion

Dickerson

Free agent/Trade for Catcher

That lineup gives them a chance to win, especially considering their starting pitching really has a chance to be great

Harang

Volquez

Arroyo

Cueto

Owings/Thompson or a free agent

That potential top five of their lineup has a chance to be one of the best in the league

edit--Now the Chicago Tribune is reporting that the Sox are denying a deal is done. Who knows

The trade is a great one for the White Sox. They get a potentially good starter at the price of a guy with one year left on his contract. Given the market, there is a glut of corner outfielders on the market and the Sox are bound to grab one at a good price. Hell, given the money they save on dropping Jermaine Dye, Orlando Cabrera and Nick Swisher, maybe they figure on jumping into the Manny sweepstakes.

The White Sox have Chris Getz, Brent Lillibridge, Alexei Ramirez, etc. to try and sort out the middle infield. I think Josh Fields finally gets a crack at the third base job. In any case, they are accumulating good talent and they really haven't surrendered that much to do it.

Tigers and Rangers making significant progress on possible trade

By JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • December 7, 2008

LAS VEGAS – The Tigers and Texas Rangers have made significant progress toward a trade that would send catcher Gerald Laird to Detroit and pitching prospect Guillermo Moscoso to the Rangers.

It’s not clear if the Tigers would include other prospects in the deal.

Moscoso, a 25-year-old right-hander, made a splash in the Detroit farm system this year by going 5-4 with a 2.70 ERA in 21 games (12 starts) between Class A Lakeland and Double-A Erie.

Moscoso has struggled in the Venezuelan Winter League, where he has a 2-1 record and 8.36 ERA, but his performance there is believed to be a function of his role and not an indication that he is injured. He prefers to start but has made all but one of his eight appearances out of the bullpen.

He has had shoulder issues in the past – including surgery in 2005 – but the Tigers said recently that he is healthy.

Detroit officials have been reluctant to move Moscoso, because he’s believed to be close to reaching the majors, but their need for catching is great enough that they have considered doing so. Dusty Ryan, the only catcher on their 40-man roster, is currently batting .163 in the Puerto Rican Winter League.

Laird, 29, would likely become the Tigers’ starting catcher if a deal is completed. He is regarded as a good defender and batted .276 this season.

Good riddance. Watching the Sox every day this guy was the most frustrating guy in the lineup. He somehow had this power to get himself good counts and proceed to strike out usually with RISP. Good luck to him trying to find a multiyear deal anywhere for what he's looking to get paid.

See ya later Captain Clutch.

Yea...who needs that guy behind the plate who all the pitchers continually give credit to for his excellence. Those great game-calling catchers are totally replaceable. There aren't many catchers in baseball that can hit at all these days so i'm really not worried about punting that position for offense when the guy clearly brings alot to the table in other areas of the game.

Yea...who needs that guy behind the plate who all the pitchers continually give credit to for his excellence. Those great game-calling catchers are totally replaceable. There aren't many catchers in baseball that can hit at all these days so i'm really not worried about punting that position for offense when the guy clearly brings alot to the table in other areas of the game.

I'm not a Varitek fan at all, but that's what I was thinking. How quickly some people turn on people just because they strike out a a few times more now. HOW DARE HE KNOW HIS VALUE?

Well I don't think he's worth that much, but I don't blame him for thinking he is.