TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Guest Czecherbear
Shit. I really hope the Yankees don't sign Derek Lowe.

I think they can have him. He's bound to start regressing sooner than later. I hope they sign him to the four year deal he's asking for.

Rumor has it they may actually go after Ben Sheets...if they do that and then trade for CC's buddy Mike Cameron, maybe we can just say: "Your 2009 New York Yankees...your 2008 Milwaukee Brewers!"

Oh I so hope the Yankees sign Derrick Turnbow.

You guys aren't giving enough respect to Derek Lowe. He throws a ton of innings with excellent peripherals at a below average ERA. His style induces a ton of ground balls so he's not as prone to bad innings or shitty seasons due to a fluke HR rate. Add in the ancillary stuff like having success in the AL East and pitching well in big games and I don't see how he's not the second best pitcher on the market.

Just take a look at the guy's stats. He's way better than you might think.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lowede01.shtml

Clarification EDIT: Lowe, however, is a bad match for the Yankees. A groundball pitcher needs a good infield defense. Jeter and Swisher are terrible. Cano's questionable and A-Rod is decent. Granted, Wang has done fine, but it looks like a bad fit.

Well played, sir.

Thinking about Lowe and Wang in the Yankees rotation made me realize that the time is right for the Yankees to ask Jeter to move over to 1B. We all know that this is an issue that has to be handled delicately, but it makes sense from an on and off the field perspective.

Swisher's bad at first, but he can easily handle right in Yankee Stadium. Let him slot into the outfield, slide Jeter over to first and go after Wilson or Furcal to play short. If they can trade Cano for Kemp and sign Hudson for 2B, that's even better. That solves the defensive problem and sort of solves the OF/1B/DH issue that's been developing over the past couple of seasons.

EDIT: Eh, Joe Sheehan didn't like my idea:

Jordan (Salem): With Wang slotted in the rotation and Lowe possible on the way, is is time the Yankees seriously considered moving Jeter to first and acquiring a SS like Wilson or Furcal?

Joe Sheehan: If Derek Jeter didn't move off of shortstop when the reigning Gold Glove winner and one of the ten best players ever arrived in town, he won't do it because Derek Lowe is signed.

Orioles have been busy!

- Come to terms with SS Cesar Izturis

"According to a source from a team that is involved in negotiations, the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles "are coming in hot" on Teixeira, with the Nationals said to be willing to offer the slugger a 10-year deal for more than $20 million a year and the Orioles possibly willing to go nine years for at least $20 million a year. The source was not authorized to speak on the record about the situation and required anonymity."

hmm..I cant see him going to the Nationals. Who else is gonna offer that kind of money?

Well played, sir.

Thinking about Lowe and Wang in the Yankees rotation made me realize that the time is right for the Yankees to ask Jeter to move over to 1B. We all know that this is an issue that has to be handled delicately, but it makes sense from an on and off the field perspective.

Swisher's bad at first, but he can easily handle right in Yankee Stadium. Let him slot into the outfield, slide Jeter over to first and go after Wilson or Furcal to play short. If they can trade Cano for Kemp and sign Hudson for 2B, that's even better. That solves the defensive problem and sort of solves the OF/1B/DH issue that's been developing over the past couple of seasons.

EDIT: Eh, Joe Sheehan didn't like my idea:

Jordan (Salem): With Wang slotted in the rotation and Lowe possible on the way, is is time the Yankees seriously considered moving Jeter to first and acquiring a SS like Wilson or Furcal?

Joe Sheehan: If Derek Jeter didn't move off of shortstop when the reigning Gold Glove winner and one of the ten best players ever arrived in town, he won't do it because Derek Lowe is signed.

A-Rod is good at third. Jeter is below average. Cano is slightly above average, and from what I've seen, Swisher is good at first. They aren't that bad of a defensive infield, considering Wang has good numbers.

And Lowe got smacked around the last time he was in the AL East. Pitching in the NL West is totally different.

Orioles have been busy!

"According to a source from a team that is involved in negotiations, the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles "are coming in hot" on Teixeira, with the Nationals said to be willing to offer the slugger a 10-year deal for more than $20 million a year and the Orioles possibly willing to go nine years for at least $20 million a year. The source was not authorized to speak on the record about the situation and required anonymity."

hmm..I cant see him going to the Nationals. Who else is gonna offer that kind of money?

The money maybe other teams would..but the years? None. No other teams will be that crazy.

Also Cesar Izturis? Jesus, I'd rather have Hairston back than see Izturis again. Did the Orioles get a shortstop prospect with talent for Hernandez? Please tell me they did.

Orioles have been busy!

The money maybe other teams would..but the years? None. No other teams will be that crazy.

Also Cesar Izturis? Jesus, I'd rather have Hairston back than see Izturis again. Did the Orioles get a shortstop prospect with talent for Hernandez? Please tell me they did.

As far as I know..

they didnt

Both guys are pretty much future utility infielders it looks like. Warring has potential pop in his bat though..

Izturis cant hit worth a lick, but he's above average defensively which beats their SS options last year which couldnt hit and field. Plus from what I hear its 2 years @ $3 mil a year, not bad.

A-Rod is good at third. Jeter is below average. Cano is slightly above average, and from what I've seen, Swisher is good at first. They aren't that bad of a defensive infield, considering Wang has good numbers.

And Lowe got smacked around the last time he was in the AL East. Pitching in the NL West is totally different.

Jeter, Cano and Swisher are all way below average defensively. I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at to make that determination.

Lowe's had one below average season in his major league career. That 2004 season is an outlier. Lowe has also improved tremendously as a pitcher the past couple of seasons; the improvement just happens to coincide with his NL West move. It's more correlation than causation. He's a smart, durable pitcher with insane GB/FB ratios. He's good.

The Red Sox and Angels have laid out parameters with Boras that would put them in the same ballpark as the Nationals' offer. Don't count out the Yankees either.

Jeter, Cano and Swisher are all way below average defensively. I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at to make that determination.

Lowe's had one below average season in his major league career. That 2004 season is an outlier. Lowe has also improved tremendously as a pitcher the past couple of seasons; the improvement just happens to coincide with his NL West move. It's more correlation than causation. He's a smart, durable pitcher with insane GB/FB ratios. He's good.

The Red Sox and Angels have laid out parameters with Boras that would put them in the same ballpark as the Nationals' offer. Don't count out the Yankees either.

I thought Theo doesn't give that long and or big of contracts. Also, maybe he is basing Cano's defense on actually watching him play compared to #'s.

Cano and Swisher aren't way below average defensively. Two years ago Cano was really good, and last year he was about average. Swisher is good at the corners, and a decent first baseman. Derek Jeter actually improved last year.

Lowe is 36 now. No thanks. Have you seen his home/road splits the last 3 years? He has an ERA over 4 on the road. That's like an 8 in the AL East!

Cano and Swisher aren't way below average defensively. Two years ago Cano was really good, and last year he was about average. Swisher is good at the corners, and a decent first baseman. Derek Jeter actually improved last year.

Check out +/- numbers at http://www.fieldingbible.com/

Robinson Cano was the worst second basemen in the game last year (RZR & UZR confirm, if you want a secondary data source). Now, he was one of the best in 2007. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but the '07 year is currently the outlier in his major league career. It may a situation where that year was a fluke, or maybe he has the ability to be good defensively but just hasn't applied himself.

Swisher doesn't have enough time at first to get a great read. His rate stats show him as below average. From what I've seen, my gut says that he's not that good. He may have the athleticism to get better with a whole year's work.

Lowe is 36 now. No thanks. Have you seen his home/road splits the last 3 years? He has an ERA over 4 on the road. That's like an 8 in the AL East!

Who do you want? Pettitte? Did you see the the stats I posted for him from last year. He sucked in the second half and he got beat up by all of the good teams. Andy's numbers are even more horrible if you take out his starts against the Orioles and A's. I have no problems with Pettitte coming back but he has to get off his high horse of him not having to take a pay cut.

You guys aren't giving enough respect to Derek Lowe. He throws a ton of innings with excellent peripherals at a below average ERA. His style induces a ton of ground balls so he's not as prone to bad innings or shitty seasons due to a fluke HR rate. Add in the ancillary stuff like having success in the AL East and pitching well in big games and I don't see how he's not the second best pitcher on the market.

Great! Go give him $66 Million

Great! Go give him $66 Million

I'd easily go 3/$45 million with a fourth year vesting option (pushing the package to about $60 million+). That probably wouldn't get it done though.

Yes $66 million is a lot of money for a 35-year-old pitcher. It's also $100 million less than CC Sabathia just got and about $25 million below what's being rumored for AJ Burnett. He's not an ace. I get that. But he's a better bet to perform than AJ Burnett, Ben Sheets, Jon Garland or Oliver Perez over a long-term, big money deal.

Who do you want? Pettitte? Did you see the the stats I posted for him from last year. He sucked in the second half and he got beat up by all of the good teams. Andy's numbers are even more horrible if you take out his starts against the Orioles and A's. I have no problems with Pettitte coming back but he has to get off his high horse of him not having to take a pay cut.

Ideally, I'd like to sign Burnett or Sheets. I prefer either over Lowe.

Ideally, I'd like to sign Burnett or Sheets. I prefer either over Lowe.

You might get your wish. From Jerry Crasnick:

The New York Yankees, making a hard late charge to beat out the Atlanta Braves for A.J. Burnett, offered the free agent right-hander a guaranteed five-year contract Wednesday, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

Although the total dollar figure isn't known, Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, is believed to be seeking a deal approaching Carlos Zambrano's five-year, $91.5 million contract with the Chicago Cubs.

AJ Brunette.

I like AJ Burnett. But 5 years is a lot. If that's what it takes to get him though, I think I'd do it. Although they could just add a bit of money, a few more years and throw that money at Teixeira.

In trade news:

Edwin Jackson to the Tigers for Matt Joyce -- Unconfirmed. I like this deal.

Pirates C Ronny Paulino to Philadelphia for Jason Jamarillo -- Confirmed. I don't know about this deal from either side. I guess Paulino's gotten interest from a few teams, but I really don't like him. It was pretty clear Jamarillo didn't have much of a future with the Phillies, but I really don't think Paulino's an upgrade.

Pirates C Ronny Paulino to Philadelphia for Jason Jamarillo -- Confirmed. I don't know about this deal from either side. I guess Paulino's gotten interest from a few teams, but I really don't like him. It was pretty clear Jamarillo didn't have much of a future with the Phillies, but I really don't think Paulino's an upgrade.

This one puzzles me. Jaramillo had to go. The Phillies have three real catchers at the moment in Carlos Ruiz, Lou Marson and Chris Coste. One for the MLB starting job, one for the backup job and one as a AAA starter. Jaramillo didn't fit in there, so where does Paulino figure in?

Anybody else see this possible deal brewing between the Mets, Indians, and Mariners? Here's the latest thing I heard, from Ken Rosenthal...

"The Mets will get J.J. Putz, OF Jeremy Reed and reliever Sean Green; The Mariners will get Aaron Heilman, OF Endy Chavez, 1B Mike Carp and OF Franklin Gutierrez, plus minor leaguers from the Indians; The Indians will get RHP Joe Smith and infielder Luis Valbuena."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8922020...r-meetings-blog

It's not a bad deal for the Metropolitans if it's true. Heilman's just short of a malcontent while Chavez and Smith aren't much more than role players and Carp doesn't seem like he's ever going to make the Major League breakthrough. Putz would be an ideal setup man and Green's a capable arm. Reed could be half of a platoon, I guess, since he's not terrible versus lefties but putrid against right-handed pitching.