TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3785901

Angels pull out of the Tex sweepstakes. What the fuck is this guy doing. He is setting himself up to be the next Arod if he goes to the Nationals or Orioles.

He's from Maryland. How on Earth are we going to paint this as a negative?

If he signed with the Red Sox or Angels he would be in the playoffs 75 percent of the time over the life of the contract. If he signs with the Nationals/Orioles that number drops down to like 10 percent over the life of the contract. Is playing for losing teams really worth the extra 20 million dollars when he is going to get at least 160 million?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3785901

Angels pull out of the Tex sweepstakes. What the fuck is this guy doing. He is setting himself up to be the next Arod if he goes to the Nationals or Orioles.

He's from Maryland. How on Earth are we going to paint this as a negative?

If he signed with the Red Sox or Angels he would be in the playoffs 75 percent of the time over the life of the contract. If he signs with the Nationals/Orioles that number drops down to like 10 percent over the life of the contract. Is playing for losing teams really worth the extra 20 million dollars when he is going to get at least 160 million?

If his family is more important to him and he ultimately wants to decide what's best for them, it shouldn't really matter. You shouldn't care what he does, anyway. Some athletes make moves for family reasons. This doesn't mean they don't want to win, it means they are taking care of their family.

How come the Yankees are in the running for Tex when they haven't offered any money? Did they just say to the media "hey, we like him," so they are named as a potential team? Or is there more to it?

How come the Yankees are in the running for Tex when they haven't offered any money? Did they just say to the media "hey, we like him," so they are named as a potential team? Or is there more to it?

I dont think they have made an offer and Cashman never admits to anything. They are in the running because they will be the last team that Boras calls before Tex signs anywhere else.

The MLB Network is up on my cable system. They've looped a 2004 Red Sox fluff highlight/interview piece ALL DAY.

The MLB Network is up on my cable system. They've looped a 2004 Red Sox fluff highlight/interview piece ALL DAY.

They're just doing it as a preview for the channel as it isn't officially up and running until January 1st. For those who don't know on the first day they'll be showing the original broadcast of Don Larsen's perfect game in the '56 World Series.

I'm trying to figure out why the Red Sox are/were determined to sign Teixeira in the first place.

A. They won 95 games last year.

B. They have both a good 1B and DH in place.

C. Their #1 prospect is a 1B with a .400+ career minor league OBP.

Now I can understand making an incremental improvement if you have the opportunity and can get a good player at a good price. But for $180 million?!

If the Sox sign Tex, they can trade Lowell and move Youk over to third. I'm not saying that they need him, but that seems to be their mindset.

I'm trying to figure out why the Red Sox are/were determined to sign Teixeira in the first place.

Now I can understand making an incremental improvement if you have the opportunity and can get a good player at a good price. But for $180 million?!

This! Wasn't there a huge issue last year in the World Series that in games in Colorado they couldn't get Lowell, Youk and Ortiz all in the game at the same time? Now they're adding a 1st baseman? What's the point? Shouldn't they be using their money to get a catcher or something?

It doesn't make sense. I am a huge Sox fan and I love the thought of Teixeira on the team, but I can't really put the pieces together. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that the Sox realize that their team is good, but not great offensively and Teixeira is the only thing coming onto the market in the next couple of years that could make a big difference. Or it could be that they don't see Lowell or Ortiz recovering to peak form from their injuries last year and want to be proactive about it.

If they can sign Teix, Lowell will be moved and Youks will go to third. That upgrades the offense and defense and keeps payroll close to last year, even if they have to eat Lowell's contract. That sets them up at the corners and then Lars takes over at DH in '10 or '11. Still don't think it's a necessary move, but I'm guessing that's how they see the pieces fitting.

For those of you who have some extra time this week check out baseballprojection.com. The site is put together by the guy who does the CHONE project system. Probably not as accurate as PECOTA, but still very good.

The expanded page for each player gives their 2009 projection, 2009 percentiles and 6-year projections. At the bottom of the page you can see how much their performance is worth based on their projection plus your defensive evaluation (ranging from Putrid to Excellent).

Here's Carlos Pena's page for an example:

http://www.baseballprojection.com/pena-ca0260.htm

This! Wasn't there a huge issue last year in the World Series that in games in Colorado they couldn't get Lowell, Youk and Ortiz all in the game at the same time? Now they're adding a 1st baseman? Shouldn't they be using their money to get a catcher or something?

I haven't seen details, but there's a feeling out there that the Sox may end up flipping Lowell and some pitching for a catcher. I doubt they'd carry all four deep into the season if the Teixeira deal is done.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that the Sox realize that their team is good, but not great offensively and Teixeira is the only thing coming onto the market in the next couple of years that could make a big difference. Or it could be that they don't see Lowell or Ortiz recovering to peak form from their injuries last year and want to be proactive about it.

These. Ortiz very may well start suffering from Mo Vaughn syndrome and there are still questions about Lowell's health. Considering the AL East is the toughest division in baseball and likely will be for a while, they need to improve their offense. Youkilis, Bay, Drew and Lowell are all #5-6 hitters at their best. Even if Ortiz comes back into peak form, they still need a cleanup hitter. Teixeira fulfills that role with no decline in defense, and they've got money to spend. The FO loves Teixeira, and we all know what happens when Theo gets a crush.

How many teams can afford to and want to take on Lowell?

I'm sure the Sox will eat some of that contract. (See: Renteria, Edgar)

I'll be amazed if Tex ends up in a Red Sox uniform.

Re: Lowell

I think it kind of works out like this: If he's healthy, you can just move him during Spring Training. If he's not healthy, you need a corner infielder to replace him. Either way, acquiring Teixeira doesn't change what you have to do with Lowell going forward.

You also don't have to face teams with Sabathia, Burnett, Kazmir, Chamberlain, Wang, Halladay and Shields 18 times each year. The Yankees just added two marquee pitchers and the Rays just went to the World Series. The good feelings from winning two championships since 2004 should be gone; putting that lineup as it is currently constructed out on the field won't be good enough.

If somehow the Sox land Teixeira, the worst they'd lose is Lowell and money. Money is clearly no object, and Teixeira is clearly leagues ahead of Lowell. I don't see why you wouldn't do it, especially since you've already shown your fans you're not going to spend more than you want to.

They have had a plan in place for over two years now supposedly where they were to sign Tex and nobody knows if either Lowell or Ortiz will be the players they once were again after their injuries. The hip thing Lowell suffered will supposedly linger through-out the rest of his career and who knows about Ortiz's wrist.

And I thought Bowden was their number one prospect now

And I thought Bowden was their number one prospect now

BA ranked them Anderson one, Bowden two. I buy that, Anderson hits for average, power, and sports good plate discipline. He's 20 and has already handled pitchers as high as AA.

I just think any team signing Teixeira to this type of contract is lunacy. He's not a HOF caliber player. His last two years have been good, but among the great players I also spot players like Andre Thornton, Alvin Davis and Howard Johnson who had similar age 27-28 seasons. When Alex Rodriguez got his first contract he'd had four seasons better than Teixeira's best.

The Washington Times is reporting that Teixeira will make his announcement today. Indications are that he'll end up with the Red Sox, but the Nats and Yankees are still lurking. The source is a little shaky, but this would jive with Teixeira's hope of getting a contract before Christmas.