TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

I just heard it was for $180 million. There's no way that guy is worth anywhere near $22.5 million per. It's nice to know that the economy can circle the drain but the Yankees can still throw out nearly a half billion dollars in contracts during the offseason.

My only question is how does a team with a payroll that high turn a profit when the economy is in the toilet? They have a new stadium to pay for, and now they have a payroll that is growing at a geometric rate. They can't raise ticket prices that much, can they? Sure, I know they will make a ton in merchandise because they are the Yankees, but at the end of the day, if they aren't turning a profit then someone has to be pissed.

Yankees have been like the real-world version of Mr. Burns's softball team this offseason.

God help us if they get Mordecai "Three-finger" Brown or Cap Anson.

My only question is how does a team with a payroll that high turn a profit when the economy is in the toilet? They have a new stadium to pay for, and now they have a payroll that is growing at a geometric rate. They can't raise ticket prices that much, can they? Sure, I know they will make a ton in merchandise because they are the Yankees, but at the end of the day, if they aren't turning a profit then someone has to be pissed.

Yeah I'd like to know how corporate box seat sales are going. The best part of this situation is when the Yankees don't make it playoffs and stumble again.

Guest Smues

I seem to recall pricing on the box seats and other premium seats to be rediculously expensive at the new stadium, so I'm guessing they'll be ok. So can someone talk me down from the ledge and give me reasons why this season won't end in Subway Series 2? I'm really losing my excitement for the 2009 season more each day.

Guest Smues
Well the Yankees DID need a first baseman. You know what's truly crazy? If 8 years, $170 million is accurate, they are actually saving money over their former first baseman.

Wasn't Gumby's contract $160 over 8 years?

My only consolation is that the 2014 or 2015 Yankees will be the highest paid team of aging/broken down superstars ever after Jeter gets his new contract in a couple of years.

I seem to recall pricing on the box seats and other premium seats to be rediculously expensive at the new stadium, so I'm guessing they'll be ok. So can someone talk me down from the ledge and give me reasons why this season won't end in Subway Series 2? I'm really losing my excitement for the 2009 season more each day.

The Mets will probably find a way to blow another lead with 17 games left in the season.

What a bunch of fucking bullshit. I hate the fucking Yankees. The Brewers now will only get a 2nd round draft pick as compensation for losing Sabathia, instead of a 1st rounder like they should get. Talk about insult to injury.

I hope the other owners mutiny over this horse shit. They've spent how much now on just three freaking players? $400 million or so? Just a bunch of crap. No one can justify this lunacy. No one. Unless you take the "The Yankees are great villains" angle. Yes, they are great villains...and I hate them. They are the Satan of the sports world.

This is pretty much the ultimate slap in the face to baseball fans. I don't think baseball needs a salary cap, but from now on you shouldn't be able to sign more then 2 Type A Free Agents in an offseason unless they're your own. This is just crazy. This means no Manny right, as this is their 3rd Type A

Well the Yankees DID need a first baseman. You know what's truly crazy? If 8 years, $170 million is accurate, they are actually saving money over their former first baseman.

Backloaded, so the last years of the contract were around $23 million a year.

The Yankees lost Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu, Mike Mussina this offseason, and maybe Andy Pettitte as well. I'm not going to begrudge them signing three free agents.

Backloaded, so the last years of the contract were around $23 million a year.

The Yankees lost Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu, Mike Mussina this offseason, and maybe Andy Pettitte as well. I'm not going to begrudge them signing three free agents.

You're crazy then, if you don't think there's something wrong with one team out of 30 or so signing perhaps the 3 biggest free agents in an offseason then I don't know what to say. This offseason the top free agents would probably be ranked as: 1. CC 2. Tex 3. Manny 4. Burnett. I don't care what they have coming off their books, for one team to do that is insane, and for someone to say otherwise is equally insane.

One more thing, fuck the yankees

Well, I just answered my own question.

Fuck it man. In the past 8 years, the Yankees signing a bunch of free agent all-stars hasn't gotten them a WS and I don't think this will either. I'd rather have Pedroia over Tex any day.

It would be kinda sad if they fail to make the playoffs or win it all with this group. I'm not saying that will happen but if they do, Joe might as well pack his bag cause his ass will be fired from a cannon.

You know, that's kinda cool of them on the 1923 deal. It gives those who won't be able to afford a ticket any time during the season a chance to take their kids to a game. The rest of the season the prices are going to be unbearably high to 9 to 5 working folks so it's rather bad ass of them for that deal. And against the Cubs no less, a series that would have equaled sell-out. I don't like what they are doing but I'm not going to pretend if the Cubs or Orioles were doing this that I'd be pissed. They signed the best pitcher and best first basemen they could get, filling two big holes with big guns.

Guest Czecherbear

I bet Jason Giambi will wind up a White Sock and annoy the hell out of everybody, and the fifth or sixth year of "Paul Konerko to the Angels?!?" will begin, because if ever there were a guy that fits the L.A. Angels' style of play, it's an aging lump who couldn't steal second if you moved it to first.