TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Guest Czecherbear
What about Fontenot? Is he a candidate for the second base job?

Fontenot's a bench/platoon guy at best. He has a penchant for timely home runs, which are a novelty because he's three feet tall, but his production isn't good enough to be the full-time second baseman on a team that's supposed to win the National League.

Unless they are swinging for Peavy and getting Brian Roberts from the Orioles, I don't understand this in the least. I get that DeRosa isn't a young guy anymore but the Padres seem to be ready to push Peavy out the door, which to me is still an incredibly huge red flag. And no disrespect to Aaron Miles, but the guy isn't a starting second baseman. Ronny Cedeno cannot lay off the high fastballs and he can't hit them, he's Lori Petty in League of their own! Only without the happy ending!

Milton Bradley would be nice if he doesn't have a psychotic meltdown and get suspended for the year. Which with the Cubs is incredibly possible.

I don't know, I'll give it more time but I'm just not liking this at the moment. Plus now it's being reported by Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports that Hendry isn't even looking into going after Peavy. So what the heck was the idea behind this? Salary clearing for Milton Bradley? I'm really confused.

There was a Roberts to the Cubs again rumor on the OH but I dont think theres much behind it.

Cubs To Target Brian Roberts Yet Again?

By Drew Silva [December 31 at 5:52pm CST]

Ready for more Brian Roberts-to-the-Cubs rumors? Here's a little speculation via Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun:

Schmuck surmises that the Cubs might try to recover some of the offensive production that they lost in Mark DeRosa's departure by once again going after Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts. The Cubs just signed Aaron Miles, who is a fine utility infielder and occasional pinch-hitter, but he'd be an offensive and defensive liability as an everyday starter

Guest Czecherbear

Peter Schmuck? That's his name? Double-barreled phallic name. I love it.

Boy, I know bitching about your favorite team is cliche even around here, but my Brewers sure haven't done jack so far this off season. There was talk Doug Melvin was interested in Fuentes, but of course he's going to Anaheim now. Their starting rotation and bullpen both look horrible right now. It seems like Milwaukee still can't attract free agents unless they want to overpay for more Suppan types.

Anyway, Fuentes is a nice pickup for Anaheim. They could probably have their pick of any of the remaining big bats out there and be set for next season, pretty much.

As far as Roberts, I don't think he's going anyway. The Cubs won't be able to put together the kind of package to motivate the Orioles to let go of him.

Milton Bradley would be nice if he doesn't have a psychotic meltdown and get suspended for the year. Which with the Cubs is incredibly possible.

For real. Milton Bradley is a talent, but for that kind of money why don't they go after Dunn or Abreu? I guess you could argue that a healthy A-game Bradley could be more productive and have a bigger impact on that club, at his best he's probably the most dangerous hitter of the three, but you have no idea if you're going to get that from him. Bradley in the pressure and spotlight of Chicago playing for Pinella is a highly combustible equation.

I don't really care about whether Bradley is good guy or not, only if he produces. What does worry me is his injury history, essentially he's never been healthy. Last year he DH'd for most of the year, and he still got hurt a few times. Now, he'll have to play outfield with the Cubs since they have Lee at first. Plus, those cold april and may days in chicago are going to be hell with his past hamstring and muscle problems. I really would've went after Dunn, who really kills the ball in wrigley.

I think all of the ads have been for Gillette Razors which have me wondering if Gillette paid them to air them again.

The other cool thing is the logo is in b&w but in the HD feed theres stupid looking bricks in color on the left and right. I was expecting this to be a part of their HD restoration of World Series games but I guess not.

The Toronto Blue Jays.

Are we going to wait until 2071 or something to make the playoffs?

Clearly the Yankees/Sox/Rays are the cream of the crop and that's the DIVISION, let alone the AL.

2009 Baseball Season, it was good knowing you, as a Jays fan.

I had no idea there was going to be an MLB Network. It just went live about 1 minute ago. It's sandwiched between the NFL and NHL Networks on DirecTV, channel 213.

welcome back to 2008

Um, no. It just went on the air today.

Love that Roberts rumor. It clearly states it's just a Baltimore writer's rumination, nothing more.

I think it's too early for fans to panic. A LOT of free agents are still on the market.

I had no idea there was going to be an MLB Network. It just went live about 1 minute ago. It's sandwiched between the NFL and NHL Networks on DirecTV, channel 213.

welcome back to 2008

Um, no. It just went on the air today.

It was announced months ago and many cable companies had the channel (with some programming) before it actually launched.

Roberts might be headed to Chicago...just not the Cubs.

The two sides have discussed former Mount St. Joe pitcher Gavin Floyd as a starting point in trade talks. The Orioles might need more, though the White Sox would want it to be straight-up, since they'd be surrendering a 17-game winner.

Per Roch Kubatko of MASN.

Perusing the January schedule for the MLB Network for "classic" games and here's what I've found. Note just posting the first airing of each as there are replays during the week.

Saturday 1/3

2008 NLCS Game 5, 10:00/7:00 AM

2008 ALCS Game 7, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM

2008 World Series Game 1, 4:00/1:00 PM

Sunday 1/4

2008 World Series Game 2, 9:30/6:30 AM

2008 World Series Game 3, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM

2008 World Series Game 4, 4:00/1:00 PM

2008 World Series Game 5, 8:00/5:00 PM (assuming full game spliced together)

Saturday 1/10

2006 NLCS Game 7, 8:00/5:00 pm

Sunday 1/11

1989 ALCS Game 2, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, (RICKEY~!)

1989 ALCS Game 4, 4:30/1:30 PM (more RICKEY~!)

April 21, 1991 - Cubs at Pirates, 8:00/5:00 PM (boxscore - 11 runs in the 11th inning)

Saturday 1/17

2007 NLCS Game 4, Noon/9:00 AM

2007 ALCS Game 7, 3:00 PM/Noon

2007 World Series Game 1, 6:30/3:30 PM

Sunday 1/18

2007 World Series Game 2, Noon/9:00 AM

2007 World Series Game 3, 3:30/12:30 PM

2007 World Series Game 4, 8:00/5:00 PM

Saturday 1/24

2006 ALCS Game 4, Noon/9:00 AM

2006 World Series Game 1, 6:00/3:00 pm

2006 World Series Game 2, 9:00/6:00 PM

Sunday 1/25

2006 World Series Game 3, 1:00 PM/1:00 AM

2006 World Series Game 4, 4:00/1:00 PM

2006 World Series Game 5, 7:30/4:30 PM

Saturday 1/31

2005 NLCS Game 5, 11:30/8:30 AM

2005 NLCS Game 6, 3:00 PM/Noon

2005 ALCS Game 5, 6:00/3:00 PM

2005 World Series Game 1, 9:00/6:00 PM

Remember that Hanley Ramirez to Boston rumor from last week? Apparently the "negotiation" went like this:

*RING*

"Hello, Florida Marlins."

"Hey, Theo Epstein here. Do you guys want to deal Hanley Ramirez to us?"

"....Nah."

"Ok, thanks for taking my call anyway."

*CLICK*

Remember that Hanley Ramirez to Boston rumor from last week? Apparently the "negotiation" went like this:

*RING*

"Hello, Florida Marlins."

"Hey, Theo Epstein here. Do you guys want to deal Hanley Ramirez to us?"

"....Nah."

"Ok, thanks for taking my call anyway."

*CLICK*

Funny- if Epstein hadn't been ducking out of Fenway's back exit in a gorilla suit, that Beckett/Lowell for Ramirez/Sanchez deal probably would've never happened, and yet both teams benefited.

If the Marlins traded Hanley I would be done with them.

I have no idea who I'd switch to because I'm in another city without a team but it would definitely be someone else.

The Ibanez signing looks ever worse for the Phillies now.

Improve offense? No.

Improve defense? No, which was really hard to not do when replacing Burrell.

Get younger? No.

Get cheaper? No.

I was more interested in seeing if Tampa came to Philly.

They've got the "on deck" series the Friday and Saturday preceding Opening Day in Citizens Bank Park.

Two years for Burrell, at a cheaper salary than Ibanez? God fucking damn it. Good luck to Burrell in Tampa though.