TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Great news for Twins fans, Carl Pohlad finally checked out! 93 years old, thought he'd never go......kind of sad im this excited.

I felt the exact same way. Pohlad was the 2nd richest man in Minnesota worth over a billion dollars yet was never willing to spend money on big name free agents. We always got stuck with the Craig Monroes & Adam Everett's of the world.

Who takes over ownership of the Twins now that he passed? Is it his kids, or does it revert to someone else?

Great news for Twins fans, Carl Pohlad finally checked out! 93 years old, thought he'd never go......kind of sad im this excited.

I felt the exact same way. Pohlad was the 2nd richest man in Minnesota worth over a billion dollars yet was never willing to spend money on big name free agents. We always got stuck with the Craig Monroes & Adam Everett's of the world.

Who takes over ownership of the Twins now that he passed? Is it his kids, or does it revert to someone else?

One of his 3 sons has been semi-running things Hank style for a year or so now.

I was more interested in seeing if Tampa came to Philly.

They've got the "on deck" series the Friday and Saturday preceding Opening Day in Citizens Bank Park.

OK, it'll be nice to see Pat get a nice long standing ovation.

littlebigleague.jpg

Thanks. I'm actually surprised no one thought of it sooner. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the news this afternoon.

J.C. Romero reportedly is being suspended 50 games for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

Romero said on Monday that he bought a supplement from a GNC store and that he was cleared to take it by the Phillies' training staff. He actually tested positive in late September, but he took the case to arbitration, allowing him to pitch in the postseason and World Series.

Source: ESPN.com

Andy Pettitte rejected a 1-year $10 million deal from the Yankees because he'd be taking a $6 million paycut. With all the money they tossed around this offseason, I'm sure they can scrape up a few million more to still make it happen.

Supposedly the Brewers are talking to Trevor Hoffman and their is "mutual interest". Would be nice to see them do something to improve their bullpen, what with Salomon Torres retiring and all.

You'd think they would have noticed the importance of a good bullpen after the last couple years. 2007's hopes and dreams went down the shitter courtesy of Derrick Turnbow & Friends, and last year required a miracle to finally make the playoffs after the bullpen did all they could to ruin it again. Maybe they just really love baseball and didn't want to risk missing some of the playoff games on television.

Maybe if he can scrape a few runs off his ERA he'd get the extra six million.

Are Phil Hughes and Alfredo Aceves ready to compete on the big stage? Legitimate question.

Hell hasn't quite frozen over but it is getting colder as Jason Giambi is returning to Oakland. Contract is reportedly just one-year, $4 million and an option for 2010 at $6.25 million with a $1.25 million buyout. I really wasn't thrilled when the rumors started about him possibly coming back especially since he wanted a three-year contract but this is a fantastic deal at those numbers. This means after a disastrous rookie season, Daric Barton will begin the year in Triple-A.

Maybe if he can scrape a few runs off his ERA he'd get the extra six million.

Are Phil Hughes and Alfredo Aceves ready to compete on the big stage? Legitimate question.

I think Hughes should start out as the 6th starter. Aceves is also good insurance. They need a legit innings guy right now because Joba isn't going to make all the starts. By the end of the year, if they don't sign a big time free agent in terms of money, I could see Hughes taking that spot, but as of now, no.

And daaaaamn. Oakland got themselves a bargain.

Canadian Destroyer, I'm a little late, but MAN. Funny ass post. Props to you.

I'd be amazed if the Brewers signed Hoffman. They do need to do something, though. Has anyone had a worse offseason than the Brewers?

Guest Czecherbear

The Cubs' offseason hasn't been horrible, but so far they dumped Kerry Wood for Kevin Gregg, Mark DeRosa for Aaron Miles, and are about to add Milton Bradley; not one of these moves makes them a better team than they were in 2008. The Brewers lost their top two pitchers and have been pretty idle, but they have enough talent on the team that they don't have to seek out a lot of it in free agency. Getting Hoffman would be a huge coup, though.

With Romero out and Utley hurt, it is going to be a rough six weeks for the Phillies to start the season.

Plenty of time for the best rotation in the National League to establish their division lead.

Has anyone had a worse offseason than the Brewers?

Nobody else is even close.

How about losing your lefty setup man for 50 games, your MVP having hip surgery, losing a franchise player, losing a draft pick when you signed a more expensive replacement, and thinking Chan Ho Park can succeed outside Dodger Stadium? The Brewers aren't in a bad spot because they still have their great lineup, Yovani Gallardo is returning and they have a buyer's market to play with.

I think Hughes is on the verge of a breakout season.

I was being a bit hyperbolic, but I really don't think Yovani Gallardo (who may have the delicate frame of Ben Sheets) makes up for losing numbers one and two. Jeff Suppan is completely shot at this point and doesn't count. Bush was great in that playoff game, but is still erratic at best. Manny Parra can't get past the 6th inning without giving up a half dozen runs.

I'm not going to count people on the market in gauging the Brewers' starting lineup until they've actually been signed by the team.

Has anyone had a worse offseason than the Brewers?

Nobody else is even close.

Well i'll say not adding a damn person besides RA Dickey thus far with a pile of OF and SP to spare i'm damn let down by the Twins thus far. Remember this team finally got the stadium they have been after for over a decade and they react by cutting payroll and not jumping on free agents. So maybe it's not the worst offseason but its top 10 worst.

The Twins are operating like the typical Twins, so it's not that surprising. The Brewers are coming off their first playoff appearance in more than a quarter century, and if they don't ensure that they contend again, they'll be pissing all their new found goodwill from the fan base right back down the toilet where the Seligs left it.

Part of the problem is that it seems like Milwaukee is still not high on the list of places most guys want to play...a lot of guys like Lowe have absolutely no interest there...Randy Johnson supposedly had some interest, but wanted to stay on the West Coast, etc. Fuentes would be another example. Doug Melvin can only do so much when a seemingly very limited amount of guys will even return his phone calls, I guess.

Guest Czecherbear

I think Milwaukee would be a fine place to play give the quickly rising profile of the Brewers, but w/r/t living there the impression I get with Milwaukee is that you either fall in love with it or want to leave and never come back. Still, players would have a supportive fanbase and nice facilities. There are worse places to sign.

Looks like Im going to have to learn some Japanese as Koji Uheara is now an Oriole!

/crickets chirping/

theres obviously no way to say "Baltimore sucks, dont go there" in Japanese, and to top it off he's expected to be the Os #2 starter..haha..

this isnt fun anymore

oh wait..

I demand these announcers when he pitches!

God, it's gonna be another long season..

Actually, the mood over at the OH is rather positive. Aside from the fact that he's 34, his stats in Japan are pretty impressive

Uehara has a fastball that tops out in the high-80s/low 90s, with movement. He throws two split-fingered fastballs, a cutter, and a slider. His trademark pitch is a forkball.

He has impeccable control, walking only 1.20 per 9 IP over the course of his career (through 2006) but is slightly prone to the long ball, with a career HR/9 rate of 1.08. Uehara is also able to strike batters out, fanning 7.97 per 9 over his career.

We shall see, other than Guthrie they dont have anyone else that would seem to be any better right now.