TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

He can teach them where to find their own personal midgets.

You can't argue with the success it brings.

nelson_parade.JPG

Seriously though, maybe it's time for Pedro to go out before things get really bad. He's already a lock for the HOF and doesn't have anything left to prove.

Well, last year Bonds was claiming he would come back and play for the minimum salary with any team, which may or may not have been BS on his part.

Bradley could put up better numbers if healthy

Sounds like a good signing! But, you know, niggaz at the Cocksucker's Playground. And the yearly tradition of me obnoxiously AIM'ing playoff opponents' full names to The Czech Republic when the Cubs are getting swept.

Also, it is evident what GM's really think of Adam Dunn.

jp_Ricciardi.jpg

Apparently, Mr. Pat Burrell equally hates the game of baseball.

Some interesting names out there still.

John Perrotto's latest Every Given Sunday column at Baseball Prospectus takes a look at the top 20 remaining free agents (sorted by WARP3 - Wins Above Replacement Player) and offers destination predictions and top suitors (or lack thereof in some cases) for each one. For those without a BP subscription, here's a quick summary:

* Manny Ramirez - Dodgers

* Orlando Cabrera - Athletics

* Derek Lowe - Braves/Mets/Cubs

* Adam Dunn - Nationals

* Bobby Abreu - Reds

* Ben Sheets - Rangers

* Orlando Hudson - Nationals

* Andy Pettitte - Astros (at less than $10MM)

* Jason Varitek - Red Sox (at less than $10MM)

* Ty Wigginton - Astros

* Ivan Rodriguez - Not much of a market, may have to take a minor-league deal with an invite to Spring Training if he's not signed soon. Could he end up involuntarily retired, a la Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Mike Piazza?

* Kevin Millar - Orioles

* Mark Grudzielanek - Padres

* Braden Looper - Brewers

* Garret Anderson, Eric Hinske, Ray Durham, Jim Edmonds, Paul Byrd, Odalis Perez - All of them (with the exception of Byrd, who may retire) are drawing little to no interest and may be without a club on Opening Day.

I really don't get the complete lack of market for Ivan, he's still decent for a catcher in terms of offense. And I can't imagine he's Piazza bad behind the plate. I can't believe someone won't give him a major league deal.

Guest Czech please!

Cubs should've taken another chance on Jimmy. "Remember the AlamoGary Gaetti!" yeah yeah yeah I know but still at the right price it would've made more sense to stay the course with Edmonds and DeRosa than to break the bank on Milton Bradley and bring in Aaron Miles. This whole "we need a lefty hitter!" thing is from the same genus of cooked-up concern that brought us Juan Pierre to address our fictitious need for speed on the basepaths, or Bob Howry and Scott Eyre's "experienced bullpen arms." What nobody seemed to notice is that Bradley is a better righty than a lefty.

Sounds like a pretty solid move for the Braves. I just don't think Lowe is going to regress that much as he pushes 40, personally.

Also, if Varitek can get more than about $5 million at this point, I'll be shocked. The only team that is remotely interested in him seems to be Boston, and I think they are sick of Boras' antics. They've walked away from their tenured veterans before, no reason they can't do it again with Cap'n Tek.

The Lowe signing will be made official on Wednesday after he passes his physical. The $60 million figure seems high given that the only other (reported) suitor offered him $36 million. But then again, we don't know how much of those media reports are actually accurate. They've now added Vazquez, Lowe and Kawakami this offseason. Losing Smoltz hurts, but pairing those three with Jurrjens gives them a very nice rotation.

In other news, I read that Tom Tango was hired to work in the front office for the Mariners. That's really cool. After a half decade of putridness they are really putting something together up there in Seattle. I think they should take a long, hard look at Dunn for the DH spot. If things break right, that team could actually compete in the AL West next year.

Well, they hired a well thought of guy to be their GM in Jack Zdurencik (sp?) who was scouting director for the Brewers, among other positions I think.

Kind of wonder if they will ever consider trading Ichiro...I suppose Nintendo wouldn't allow it, but I bet they could get a decent package of young prospects they could build around for the future, though.

Trading Ichiro probably isn't in the cards for a myriad of reasons, including both the wishes of Japanese ownership and Ichiro's star status in a market that is teetering on rejecting the team altogether. But then again, there were reports at the end of last season that Ichiro was completely ostracized by the clubhouse. I don't know what's going on there, but still, I wouldn't expect to see him go anywhere.

As bad as Seattle as is (and they've been really bad), they could get back into contention really quickly. The money they spend and decent farm system will prevent them from having to tear down before they build up. The new GM whose name I refuse to attempt to spell is sharp and has already made massive improvements in the team. They've built a pitching and defense team that is going to be excellent in spacious Safeco next year. The offense is a disaster, but I think there are options out there for improvement. It's still, on paper, the worst team in the division but under the right circumstances they could compete in what I expect to be hands-down the worst division in baseball next year.

Espn.com is reporting that Lowe is leaning towards accepting a 4 year 60 million dollar contract from the Braves.

Meh. I'm a little annoyed that he didn't end up on the Mets but I feel that's more than he deserves. That being said, Oliver Perez is going to get a lot more than he deserves now, and it'll probably be the Mets that give it to him.

I've been reading that Billy Wagner is ahead of schedule in his rehab and may be ready to pitch in August. If that's the case, it raises an interesting scenario - on one hand, a bullpen with Rodriguez, Putz, and Wagner is downright terrifying. On the other, if a team is willing to wait a couple weeks (since the non-waiver trade deadline is July 31st), Wagner makes for interesting trade bait. Or, maybe the Mets would be willing to deal Rodriguez or Putz to a contender desperate for a closer and take their chances with Wagner.

I know it sounds nerdy, but thinking about stuff like this is one of the reasons baseball is my favorite sport.

Andruw Jones to be cut tomorrow

From future Hall of Famer to out of the league in just over a year. I can't recall any other player in my lifetime who fell so hard so fast. He'll probably catch on with another team (Atlanta?) but I have a hard time believing that he ever does anything worthwhile again.

He was a future Hall of Famer? I don't know, I liked the guy a lot but I was never that sold on him.

I wouldn't mind to see the Braves give him a shot- wouldn't hurt.

Guest Smues

I certainly thought Andruw was on a hall of fame pace a few years ago. In addition to the great defense I thought he had a legitimate shot at 500 homeruns, or at the least 400, which should have been enough with that glove. I'm in the group that thinks he's probably done, but hey if Atlanta can get him cheap this year since the Dodgers are stuck paying him like $22 million, I'm all for taking a shot.

I certainly thought Andruw was on a hall of fame pace a few years ago. In addition to the great defense I thought he had a legitimate shot at 500 homeruns, or at the least 400, which should have been enough with that glove. I'm in the group that thinks he's probably done, but hey if Atlanta can get him cheap this year since the Dodgers are stuck paying him like $22 million, I'm all for taking a shot.

I remember the AJC had an article on Jones back in the summer of 2007. The main part of the article was his home run pace. I believe he became the youngest player to hit 350 homeruns. He was also on a better pace than Hank Aaron and Jones was on pace to hit his 756 homerun at the age of 40. So it's not hard to say that he was on a Hall of Fame pace. If he can get his act together, he still is. He is 32 years old with 370 career homeruns.

By the end of 2006, Jones was a 29-year-old coming off back-to-back 40 HR seasons at a .900 OPS. He had also just won his 9th consecutive Gold Glove award. Presumably, Andruw Jones was just entering the prime of his career and had already amassed most of the counting stats that he'd eventually need for election. It's really quite amazing for a player to become a regular at 19, especially for a team that was competing for a division title year in and year out.

Had he followed a normal career trajectory, I have no doubt that he'd eventually put together a Hall of Fame resume. He should have had 2-3 more peak seasons, followed by five or so above average years and a couple more in which he finally declined. Let's say he ends up with 20 seasons in the bigs, 15 of which are above average campaigns, plus 10+ Gold Gloves, 500 HRs and an impactful player on a dozen or so playoff teams? That's really hard to deny.

You know, if the Red Sox don't end up signing Varitek, his career may well be over. I can't see any team giving up a first round draft pick to bring him aboard at this point. Maybe he catches on somewhere in the second half once the compensation provision disappears, but really, how realistic is that? It's hard to imagine Varitek or some team looking forward to that scenario. It's a shame that things are going down this way, but Boras really mis-read the market. Heck, even Pudge might be done. I heard the other day that he's just banking on a Spring Training invite somewhere.

Speaking of free agency, have he we heard anything about Ben Sheets, Oliver Perez, Orlando Hudson, Ken Griffey, Bobby Abreu, Garret Anderson or any of the other remaining free agents? I know the market's depressed, but I haven't heard those guys being discussed at all. Not even a peep about what they've been doing in free agency.

Guest Czech please!

I thought Orlando Hudson to the White Sox was a formality. Speaking of my favorite team, they signed Bartolo Colon to a one-year deal pending a physical, and are interested in signing Freddy Garcia and Jon Garland as well. Gettin' the band back together. Don't stop believin'. In a related story, Kenny Williams is mad at people for "spreading rumors" again. I wish someone would give him a reason to get his jaw wired shut.

Since I am bored today, here the top 10 prospects in the American and National League, courtesy of Jim Callis at Baseball America. All comments are his, not mine.

In other prospect news, Baseball America named the Texas Rangers as having the best minor league system in baseball. That team could be scary good in a few seasons. There really is a sea change going on in that division, with Texas and Oakland on the way up, Seattle rebuilding and LA looking a little vulnerable. Anyways, here are the reproduced lists:

American League

1. David Price, lhp, Rays

What he showed us in the postseason was just the beginning.

2. Matt Wieters, c, Orioles

He could be Mark Teixeira—as a catcher.

3. Brett Anderson, lhp, Athletics

The best player Oakland got in the package for Dan Haren.

4. Trevor Cahill, rhp, Athletics

It will be fun to watch his friendly rivalry with Anderson.

5. Neftali Feliz, rhp, Rangers

Just one reason the Braves wish they could undo their Teixeira trade.

6. Tim Beckham, ss, Rays

Yet another multitalented star-in-the-making for Tampa Bay.

7. Eric Hosmer, 1b, Royals

He could be the best of all the special hitters K.C. has drafted recently.

8. Lars Anderson, 1b, Red Sox

Even if Boston signs Teixeira, it will find room for Anderson in 2010.

9. Travis Snider, of, Blue Jays

Of these 10 guys, he might make the biggest 2009 impact in the majors.

10. Mike Moustakas, 3b, Royals

In a few years, he and Hosmer could combine for 70 homers annually.

National League

1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b, Pirates

Spring injury, summer holdout overshadow his devastating hitting ability.

2. Madison Bumgarner, lhp, Giants

Showed much more polish than expected in first full season, led minors with 1.46 ERA.

3. Colby Rasmus, of, Cardinals

The best player developed by St. Louis since Albert Pujols is ready for the majors at 22.

4. Buster Posey, c, Giants

Has the tools to become the NL's version of Joe Mauer.

5. Tommy Hanson, rhp, Braves

Displayed four plus pitches at times while blowing away Arizona Fall League hitters.

6. Logan Morrison, 1b, Marlins

The best hitter in the minors who hasn't received the hype he deserves.

7. Jason Heyward, of, Braves

It's still unfathomable how he lasted 14 picks in the 2007 draft.

8. Dexter Fowler, of, Rockies

Colorado has done a fine job of developing the once-raw Fowler.

9. Cameron Maybin, of, Marlins

Strikeouts are still a concern, but there's a lot of Andre Dawson in him.

10. Mike Stanton, of, Marlins

Hit 39 homers in first full season after turning down a shot to play two sports at USC.

Youkilis signs 4 year, $40 million contract with Red Sox

I like it. It seems like a very favorable contract for the team, locking up Youk through this prime at a below market rate. Gives Youkilis a little security for the next couple of years as well with the economy possible having continued downward pressure on player salaries. I wasn't looking forward to the upcoming abitration case with him at all.

Now see if they can get Bay to do the same and I'll call this offseason a major success.