TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Assuming that "CC will replace what Mussina gave and Burnett will replace what Pettitte gave" is true, which is a bit debatable, it ignores Wang. He missed the majority of the season last year and should in theory be healthy and giving them production on top of this. So even if Burnett fails to improve on Pettitte and CC fails to improve on Mussina Wang has to then fail to improve on Ponson or Rasner in order for the Yanks to not see some sort of significant upgrade to the rotation.

MLB Network showed Nine Innings from Ground Zero. Watching it knowing the Yankees lose just makes it so hilarious.

dumb ass

How does that make me a dumbass? Why do you think I bought the 2001 World Series DVD?

because you're a fag ?

First of all, please use the shift button if you're going to insult me. Thank you.

I did not know that my joy in the Yankees losing in 2001 means that I enjoy the company of men, or am a British cigarette. Thank you for enlightening me.

I'm talking about 2001, when seeing the Yankees get theirs was so sweet, especially given they had won 4 out of their last 5.

In the documentary, it was hilarious hearing people talk about the Yankees really deserved this one and had to win....when they just had won the previous three! While the Boston collapse is great, nothing will top Bottom of the 9th Game 7 2001. Seeing it again in a documentary was great

I don't even remember that, which shows how much of an impact it had on me.

But really, Mariano Rivera gagging the Yankees chances to 4-peat with 2 outs to go less than two months after 9/11- even if you're not a Yankee hater, that's still pretty memorable

That World Series game seven was probably the second greatest game of the decade. I think 2003 ALCS Game Seven is slightly better. It's painful to watch, but it's EPIC.

It's epic, but come on....Clemens-Schelling in the duel to end all duels, Soriano's HR letting the air out of the stadium and then the magical bottom of the 9th.

I lost my voice screaming at the end.

That World Series game seven was probably the second greatest game of the decade. I think 2003 ALCS Game Seven is slightly better. It's painful to watch, but it's EPIC.

God that game hurt. My entire body was hurting for three days after that game.

I damn near gave up baseball after that game. I walked around in a stupor for days.

I can recall almost everything my about experience while watching that game, including where I was, what I was doing, who was with me and what happened afterwards. Every little detail is just ingrained in my head.

Do you read the comic strip Get Fuzzy by any chance? They ran a strip where the lead character had to get away to Canada to escape.

For all the "oh it's easy to second guess after the fact" columnists, I was screaming at Grady Little when it was still 5-3 Sox.

I'm talking about 2001, when seeing the Yankees get theirs was so sweet, especially given they had won 4 out of their last 5.

In the documentary, it was hilarious hearing people talk about the Yankees really deserved this one and had to win....when they just had won the previous three! While the Boston collapse is great, nothing will top Bottom of the 9th Game 7 2001. Seeing it again in a documentary was great

Yeah it's hilarious to hear people wanting to see their hometown team win a World Series in the city of 9/11. You forgot that alot of the people who went to the games and were being interviewed lost a relative, friend, coworker, neighbor etc on 9/11. You forgot that millions of people were able to get their minds off of real life during the Yankees run in 2001. That was a healing/coping treat for a majority of NYC. Yeah it's real hilarious for tens of thousands of people who had someone close to them be murdered to find a little solitude in baseball. I had almost 15 people from my hometown including a girl I went to high school with and a Police Officer die on 9/11.

I am going to go watch my 96 and 99 World Series highlight videos and laugh at the Braves. I am going to laugh at the hillbilly redneck retard who says before game five that Smoltz is gonna win. I am going to laugh at Ken Merker giving up the game winning homerun to Chad Curtis in game 3 of 99.

What about game 6 of the 2002 World Series? The Angels were down 5 runs in the 7th inning down 3 games to 2.

Do you read the comic strip Get Fuzzy by any chance? They ran a strip where the lead character had to get away to Canada to escape.

For all the "oh it's easy to second guess after the fact" columnists, I was screaming at Grady Little when it was still 5-3 Sox.

I watched that game with two friends who are huge (and annoyingly so) Red Sox fans at a local bar where everyone wanted the Red Sox to win that game. I very drunkenly told anyone who would listen that leaving Pedro in was going to cost them that game. Second guessing my ass. Everyone in the world except Grady Little knew what happened to Pedro after 100 pitches. EVERYONE. I don't know who didn't see that coming.

I damn near gave up baseball after that game. I walked around in a stupor for days.

I can recall almost everything my about experience while watching that game, including where I was, what I was doing, who was with me and what happened afterwards. Every little detail is just ingrained in my head.

I was in Miami for the Pats game that weekend and had massive jet lag, so I left the hotel bar where everyone was watching the game to go to my room and lie down after Clemens was pulled and watched the rest in bed. I still remember the rest of my group drunkenly stomping to their rooms while the two or three Yankee fans we had were whooping it up.

It actually was good that I wasn't in the area for the game because just about everyone I knew was incredibly depressed. It was my generation's 1986. The Pats won that weekend so that saved it a bit.

I'll respond to the 9/11 stuff later-

I was watching Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS with my roomate who never watched baseball, and didn't know anything about it. As they start getting to Pedro, I'm getting really tense and my roomate turns to me and goes: Shouldn't they take him out?

That's how bad it is. My roomate, who had never really watched baseball- even he knew to take Pedro out!

When Aaron Boone hit the HR, I punched the wall so hard that I made a mark that is still there.

I think an interesting discussion would be top 5 or 10 games of the decade. The 18-inning Braves-Astros game is up there too, though I refuse to believe that game actually happened

Yeah it's hilarious to hear people wanting to see their hometown team win a World Series in the city of 9/11. You forgot that alot of the people who went to the games and were being interviewed lost a relative, friend, coworker, neighbor etc on 9/11. You forgot that millions of people were able to get their minds off of real life during the Yankees run in 2001. That was a healing/coping treat for a majority of NYC. Yeah it's real hilarious for tens of thousands of people who had someone close to them be murdered to find a little solitude in baseball. I had almost 15 people from my hometown including a girl I went to high school with and a Police Officer die on 9/11.

I am going to go watch my 96 and 99 World Series highlight videos and laugh at the Braves. I am going to laugh at the hillbilly redneck retard who says before game five that Smoltz is gonna win. I am going to laugh at Ken Merker giving up the game winning homerun to Chad Curtis in game 3 of 99.

Yankee fans are so touchy.

I thought the post-9/11 "Hey's let root for the Yankees now!" stuff was so phony and fake. I'm a Saints fan, and I thought everyone jumping on the Saints bandwagon and going OMG THE NEW AMERICA'S TEAM was tacky as well.

Post-9/11 what helped get me back to normalcy was continuing my annual tradition of rooting hard for the Yankees to lose in October, and it felt so good to finally see them get theirs in 01. And I found it funny hearing a bunch of people talking about how much the Yankees winning would've meant to them, knowing they lost in a such a gut punching way. A documentary about Sox fans in 03, Cardinal fans in 85, Wildcat fans in 92 would be funny for the same reason.

Also, feel free to watch Mercker give up the home run, since it wasn't him on the mound. I think you would know that.

I didn't like that aside from the Mets v. Braves game, the documentary almost ignored the Mets role in the post 9/11 healing process. I found the Mets attempt at getting into the postseason way more inspiring than a bland Yankee team that had the division wrapped up in August.

While they ended up falling way short, the Mets won 8 out 9 post 9/11. That's pretty impressive.

I always found the 2001 World Series was God's way of making up for what I had to go through in 4 out of the last 5 years. Sure, it sucked that the Braves didn't win but it was great to finally it happen to the other side.

I think an interesting discussion would be top 5 or 10 games of the decade. The 18-inning Braves-Astros game is up there too, though I refuse to believe that game actually happened

I think it's worth noting that seemingly most of the great games of the decade have been LCS games. Besides Yankees/Red Sox, we had a few fantastic games between the Cardinals and Astros. And of course Mets/Cardinals in 2006.

The only game I remember from Cards-Astros is the Pujols game.

Games 1, 2, 4-6 of the 04 ALCS are great. For emotion, Mets v. Braves after 9/11 is fantastic.

There's that Cleveland-Seattle game where one of them came back from 12 runs down.

The only game I remember from Cards-Astros is the Pujols game.

Games 1, 2, 4-6 of the 04 ALCS are great. For emotion, Mets v. Braves after 9/11 is fantastic.

There's that Cleveland-Seattle game where one of them came back from 12 runs down.

Game six of the 2004 NLCS. Astros tie the game in the ninth, Cards win in the 12th on Edmonds' home run. The win forced game seven for the Cards. Also game five was a scoreless game until Jeff Kent's three run walkoff in the bottom of the ninth.

Here's the Mariners/Indians game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CL...200108050.shtml

Guest Smues

I watched that M's game as it happened. What made it more amazing was it was their 116 win season.

I didn't like that aside from the Mets v. Braves game, the documentary almost ignored the Mets role in the post 9/11 healing process. I found the Mets attempt at getting into the postseason way more inspiring than a bland Yankee team that had the division wrapped up in August.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the stretch with the Piazza walk-off homer?

EDIT: It was. That was the definitive moment for NY baseball fans after 9/11. And as much as I wanted to cheer for the Yankees in the World Series, seeing them lose in that fashion, given Mariano's postseason history, and Unit walking onto the mound to relieve Schilling, made Game 7 the best game I have ever watched.

I bleed Braves baseball and a win over the Mets is terrific, but fuck, even I had to applaud that Piazza home run. It was the first big sporting event in NYC after 9/11.

Only time I've ever been okay with a loss to the Mets.

Fuck the Yankees though- knowing that was Paul O'Neill's last game makes it even funnier.

Game six of the 2004 NLCS. Astros tie the game in the ninth, Cards win in the 12th on Edmonds' home run. The win forced game seven for the Cards. Also game five was a scoreless game until Jeff Kent's three run walkoff in the bottom of the ninth.

I always refer to Game 5 as "2004's forgotten gem". Backe and Lidge combined on a one-hitter while Woody Williams allowed only one hit through 7 before Isringhausen blew it. Problem was, Game 5 of Sox/Yanks was still going on at the time, so the NL game got shuffled to FX for most of the country. I think Sox/Yanks didn't end until around the 8th or top of the 9th of Cards/Stros because I remember the network going over to it and seeing Kent's homer not too much later.

Also, feel free to watch Mercker give up the home run, since it wasn't him on the mound. I think you would know that.

Mike Remlinger, my apologies. I am going to watch game 4 of the 96 Series afterwards. I don't know what I find more hilarious, the fact that the braves blew a 6 run lead at home or the fact that Klesko lost the ball in the lights to allow the Yankees to score the 8th run.

I bleed Braves baseball and a win over the Mets is terrific, but fuck, even I had to applaud that Piazza home run. It was the first big sporting event in NYC after 9/11.

Only time I've ever been okay with a loss to the Mets.

Fuck the Yankees though- knowing that was Paul O'Neill's last game makes it even funnier.

Yeah because I am sure that a guy who won 5 World Series cries about the one that got away. Give me a break. The only other player in the last 30 years to win as many is David Cone.

Any Braves fans heard the rumors that Brewers radio announcer Jim Powell is going to be taking the vacant Atlanta radio job? If so, it's a big loss for the Brewers, but you guys will be getting a tremendously knowledgeable announcer. Yeah, we'll still have Bob Uecker, but Powell is very good in his own right.