TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Winning isn't everything when it comes to owners. Jeff Loria is still the king IMO, with Jerry Reinsdorf* running a close second.

*I have no objections to the way the White Sox are currently run, but I will never forgive him for the 1994 work stoppage.

-D'Backs agree to a one-year deal with P Jon Garland

-Cubs are close to acquiring P Aaron Heilman from the Mariners. SS Ronny Cedeno is believed to be part of the package. The Cubs are also trying to trade Rich Hill but I doubt he ends up in this deal with the M's.

-Also, here are the latest renderings for the new Marlins stadium

Update to earlier post:

The Mariners have acquired SS Ronny Cedeno and P Garrett Olson from the Cubs for RP Aaron Heilman.

Linky goodness

That's a bit of a step down from using Olson to acquire Jake Peavy. I'm one of the few people out there that actually believe in Heilman, either as a high-leverage reliever or starter, but that seems like a lot to give up. Cedeno and Olson have shaky major league track records, but the upside of both is still great given their minor league numbers and age.

Jack Z has shown in a couple months time to be one of the sharpest GMs in the game. If he can keep this act up I see a lot of division titles in Seattle's future.

Aaron Heilman pitching in Wrigley would be a nightmare. If he was used as a starter he'd easily contend for most HR allowed next year.

It'd be nice if they had some inside views. Best I can tell is it looks like Houston, Milwaukee, and Seattle all smushed into one.

It'd be nice if they had some inside views. Best I can tell is it looks like Houston, Milwaukee, and Seattle all smushed into one.

Look at the first rendering on the top row and then compare it to third one. Notice anything? There's two monstrous poles down the right field line that block the views for most of the fans. In the first rendering they still show people sitting there, but on the third they've removed those entire sections. It appears that someone royally fucked up on that one.

It's funny you mention Houston, Milwaukee and Seattle, because that's exactly what this looks like. I've complained about this growing tradition of the new "cookie cutter" stadium. HOK is the firm that handles the design process and all of their stuff looks exactly the same. These cities have the opportunity to do something that is culturally and architecturally significant and they opt for the high-end mega-plex that everyone else has. It's so boring.

The only real similarity it has with Miller Park is the windows in the outfield. The roof is completely different (not that that really matters once you're inside). It looks completely different on the outside than most parks, although the trend seems to be moving towards building baseball parks that look like hospitals from the outside (see Washington).

I'd say it has the most in common with Minute Maid Park in terms of the roof and what it looks like on the inside (it'd be nice if you could see anything in left field, though).

I do agree with you, though. It's funny to me that Rogers Centre is pretty soon going to be the most unique stadium in the majors.

Look at the first rendering on the top row and then compare it to third one. Notice anything? There's two monstrous poles down the right field line that block the views for most of the fans. In the first rendering they still show people sitting there, but on the third they've removed those entire sections. It appears that someone royally fucked up on that one.

Obstructed view seats in the OF are the new unobstructed view seats. I heard there are 2 bleacher sections in the CF of New Yankee Stadium that can't see the opposite OF because of the large CF restuarant.

IMG_2492.jpg

On either side of the thing in the middle.

Varitek may reject contract offer

According to a baseball source, the deadline by which Varitek must accept or decline the Red Sox’ latest contract offer is set for 8:30 a.m. Friday, leaving less than a day for the matter to play out. According to the same source, Varitek is seriously considering the option of sitting out the 2009 season and/or retiring rather than accepting the contract offer made to him last week.

Michael Holley reported something similar in WEEI. Tek, in my opinion, is making a huge mistake if he rejects this offer.

Varitek may reject contract offer

According to a baseball source, the deadline by which Varitek must accept or decline the Red Sox’ latest contract offer is set for 8:30 a.m. Friday, leaving less than a day for the matter to play out. According to the same source, Varitek is seriously considering the option of sitting out the 2009 season and/or retiring rather than accepting the contract offer made to him last week.

Michael Holley reported something similar in WEEI. Tek, in my opinion, is making a huge mistake if he rejects this offer.

He cant be that dumb can he? Does he want to retire because he feels insulted by the offer and or because he wants more money, or is it because he knows that he is no longer productive? Where is the market for him? Does he think that if he sits out 2009 and the market improved he will get more money in 2010?

The Orioles are going to get Rich Hill from the Cubs for the dreaded PTBNL. Rich Hill did very well under Rick Kranitz who is the O's pitching coach. They are also in the running for Braden Looper. It'll be intersting to see how the Rotation pans out with all the new additions. Thank God it looks like they wont have to depend on Baez.

The great part of this is, last year the Os wanted Pie and Hill for Roberts and the Cubs didn't want to part with them. Now a year later the Os get Pie and Hill and the Cubs basically got Heilman and the PTBNL out of it and the Os can still trade Roberts (or resign him?). +1 for the Os again!

It's a "strong possibility" that Rich Hill is heading to the O's. It's not a definite yet, Marvin.

It's a shame how this has all played out, but unlike Pie, Hill had his chance. He spent almost the entire 2008 season in rookie ball trying to get his shit together and it never really happened. He's out of options, which makes it a near impossibility for the Cubs to hold on to him. IIRC, he was always projected as a guy who'd have some really good years, but then bottom out quickly. I guess he's a good gamble for a team that isn't doing anything in 2009, but he's got a lot of work ahead of him if his 2008 season was any indication of where he's at.

Everything Ive read indicates the belief that working with Kranitz again (Hill's AAA pitching coach in 2005) is a sure bet to get him back on track.

It was posted that the Cubs got him to change his mechanics last year in spring training so that he had a faster delivery and less prone to base stealing.

All Kranitz would have to do is undo what the Cubs had him do last ST, and with Hill/Kranitz familiar with each other it would probably go a lot easier/smoother/faster.

He ended up getting basically half of what he would've gotten if he had accepted Boston's initial offer. Boy, Boras screwed him over.

This is Varitek's own fault. If he honestly thought another team would give him more than 10 million, more than one year after he hit .220 he is beyond dumb.

The contract is for $5M guaranteed this year with a team option for $5M in 2010 or a player option for $3M with $2M in incentives based on how many starts he makes. If he reaches .250 next year I'll be shocked.

Not bad. Seems like fair value for his services, and even if he should go off the rails again it's not an albatross of a contract by any means.

Santana/Perez/Maine/Pelfrey/Redding, Garcia or Niese. Sheets would be nice, but I can live with that.

Dodgers have reportedly offered Manny a one year, $25 million contract. Take the money, Manny. You aren't getting a better offer.

I could picture the Yankees coming in and offering 2 years, 40 million. You know Boras is going to call them last.

Dodgers have reportedly offered Manny a one year, $25 million contract. Take the money, Manny. You aren't getting a better offer.

I could picture the Yankees coming in and offering 2 years, 40 million. You know Boras is going to call them last.

Considering he turned down 2 years, $45 million three months ago, I don't think that's going to get it done.