TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Dodgers have reportedly offered Manny a one year, $25 million contract. Take the money, Manny. You aren't getting a better offer.

I could picture the Yankees coming in and offering 2 years, 40 million. You know Boras is going to call them last.

Considering he turned down 2 years, $45 million three months ago, I don't think that's going to get it done.

Spring Training starts in a month, other names should be signed. His market is already decreasing, how many teams can afford to give him what he wants? Even if they can afford to give him what he wants, how many other teams are willing and able to?

I love that the Dodgers aren't playing Boras' game. I hope they call Adam Dunn's agent next.

As far as Sheets, the only team that seems remotely interested is the Texas Rangers, and they're only offering one year at this point. Sheets wants at least two.

Sheets could easily get two years if he could prove his arm isn't about ready to detach from his body and fly into the stands. But he can't.

The Dodgers can now turn around and sign Orlando Hudson, Randy Wolf and Adam Dunn for the $25 million they had set aside for Manny Ramirez. I think that's what will end up happening and in the end, they'll be a better team for it.

This was the perfect scenario for Manny: a pay raise, a short-term deal and a return to LA. The Giants or Nationals could come in with an offer now, but I'm guessing they'd be in the $20 million a year range for two or three years. I don't see how that's a better fit, but Boras sticks to his guns no matter what.

I would prefer we didn't sign Wolf, but whatever. Dunn and Hudson is going to happen, and Manny will be left without a team.

He said Melky and Brent Gartner are going to fight for CF

He also said that Bubba Crosby was going to be the Yankees Starting CF in 2006. That was before he went out and signed Damon. Cashman also stated that the Yankees weren't interested in Mark Teixeira. That was before he went out and signed him this past off season. Cashman's big thing is to state the false on every player he goes after.

The Yankees aren't going to go for Manny. They don't need him and have no room for him. I think people need to get over it. He's not going to either of the New York teams.

The Yankees aren't going to go for Manny. They don't need him and have no room for him. I think people need to get over it. He's not going to either of the New York teams.

Why isn't he going to the Mets again? Last I heard the Wilpons blamed Minaya for not bringing him up after the world media blamed the Wilpons for shooting down the offers.

Besides, I think we all want to hear Chris Berman go "m-m-m-manny and the mets" a thousand times during 2009.

Guest Smues
Besides, I think we all want to hear Chris Berman go "m-m-m-manny and the mets" a thousand times during 2009.

NO

Picked this up at another board and found it interesting. Here is a list of the the teams with the ten highest payrolls in 2008 accompanied by their projected opening day payroll in 2009.

Yankees: 209.850M (2008 209.081M)

Mets: 142.542M (2008 137.793M)

Detroit: 126.600M (2008 137.685M)

Boston: 128.005M (2008 133.390M)

White Sox: ~97.500M (2008 121.189M)

Angels: ~113.500M (2008 119.216M)

Dodgers: 74.640M (2008 118.588M)

Cubs: 137.145M (2008 118.345M)

Seattle: ~95.000M (2008 117.666M)

The Met, Yankees and Cubs all increased payroll, but the other seven have all reduced their commitments. The Dodgers and White Sox may still have some deals in them, but neither will probably go past $110 million.

I kept waiting on my beloved Reds to pull the trigger on a big-time run producer. I kept thinking that spending big money on a quick fix seemed smart and the spark that the franchise needed. I kept hoping they would get Manny, who would fix a lot of problems. Yesterday, they signed Humberto Cota.

Cubs added Milton Bradley, Aaron Heilman, and Aaron Miles and subtracted Rich Hill, Felix Pie, Jim Edmonds, and Mark DeRosa.

I am really confused right now by their off-season. I'm fine with the addition of Bradley and I hope against hope he delivers and doesn't have an anger management explosion.

Just I don't see how either of those moves improve the club and I still don't have a clue who is starting in center for the Cubs. I'm guessing Miles is the starting second baseman and that doesn't make me excited.

Orioles sign Ty Wigginton to a two-year deal worth about $6 million.

Link

Talk is that he's going to start @ 3B next year. This year is a toss up but it clearly opens the door for them to move someone else in a deal, probably Scott.

They also brought back John Parrish, who they traded in 2007 to Seattle. Toronto dropped him, though oddly enough they picked up Brian Burres who was dfa'ed by the Os in the move for Hill.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

Dodgers catcher Russell Martin offered a little more insight. This winter in Phoenix, Loewen has spent time working with Martin, as well as Twins first baseman Justin Morneau and Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton. From what he's seen, Martin has no doubt that Loewen has the potential to be an outstanding performer on offense. "He's a Morneau," Martin said. "He's got that potential. I can't wait to see what's going to happen."

That's about the best (only) Blue Jays' news there's been this off-season.

Cubs added Milton Bradley, Aaron Heilman, and Aaron Miles and subtracted Rich Hill, Felix Pie, Jim Edmonds, and Mark DeRosa.

I am really confused right now by their off-season. I'm fine with the addition of Bradley and I hope against hope he delivers and doesn't have an anger management explosion.

Just I don't see how either of those moves improve the club and I still don't have a clue who is starting in center for the Cubs. I'm guessing Miles is the starting second baseman and that doesn't make me excited.

Including Aaron Heilman as an "addition" only counts if you include additions to the number in the loss column. Guy can't throw anything with movement; he'd have been great before the development of the curveball.

A writer on ESPN.com writes that Nomar provides better value than Jeter, and wonders why he is not drawing more interest. The problem is that Nomar has to play through pain, and from accounts does not know if he even wants to keep playing.

A writer on ESPN.com writes that Nomar provides better value than Jeter, and wonders why he is not drawing more interest. The problem is that Nomar has to play through pain, and from accounts does not know if he even wants to keep playing.

Jeter can also hang at SS even if he's terrible defensively. Nomar can't play short, or any other position on the diamond at this point in his career. That significantly drops his value even if he was healthy enough to get 400 at bats. The bat isn't good enough to carry him at DH, so where exactly does he fit in?

Jeter can also hang at SS even if he's terrible defensively. Nomar can't play short, or any other position on the diamond at this point in his career. That significantly drops his value even if he was healthy enough to get 400 at bats. The bat isn't good enough to carry him at DH, so where exactly does he fit in?

The Phillies want him as Utley insurance and then a reserve infielder, which makes sense.

Sheets could easily get two years if he could prove his arm isn't about ready to detach from his body and fly into the stands. But he can't.

Funny you should say that.

Sheets expects to have surgery soon

Ben Sheets, the injury-plagued, free-agent starting pitcher, is expected to undergo elbow surgery and be sidelined for four to six months, according to CBSSports.com sources.

The surgery, to repair Sheets' partially torn flexor tendon, is expected to be performed by noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. A source with knowledge of the situation said that Sheets is not expected to undergo Tommy John ligament replacement surgery.

Still, the elbow surgery likely will keep Sheets on the sidelines until August, or later. The right-hander was prepared to undergo surgery this week, according to sources, but those plans hit a snag over insurance issues and who would pay for it.

I'm glad the Mets didn't offer him a contract if this is true.