TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Sheets could easily get two years if he could prove his arm isn't about ready to detach from his body and fly into the stands. But he can't.

Funny you should say that.

Sheets expects to have surgery soon

Ben Sheets, the injury-plagued, free-agent starting pitcher, is expected to undergo elbow surgery and be sidelined for four to six months, according to CBSSports.com sources.

The surgery, to repair Sheets' partially torn flexor tendon, is expected to be performed by noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. A source with knowledge of the situation said that Sheets is not expected to undergo Tommy John ligament replacement surgery.

Still, the elbow surgery likely will keep Sheets on the sidelines until August, or later. The right-hander was prepared to undergo surgery this week, according to sources, but those plans hit a snag over insurance issues and who would pay for it.

I'm glad the Mets didn't offer him a contract if this is true.

I just read that. Did he turn down Arb from the Brewers? I like how he wanted another team to sign him when he knew he was going to be an injury risk. It says that he could be out anywhere from 8-10 months. If he had the surgery last Sept/Oct he could have been back by July/August.

Apparently this turned up in the midst of the Rangers' physical exam.

I remember hearing talk show hosts on WFan 2-3 weeks ago talk about how ugly his reports were looking. This was after the Yankees/Mets were talking to him and passed on him. They didn't see his medical first hand, it was just what was told to them by members of the front office.

MLB Network will have a "Strikeout Marathon" this weekend with seven great individual strikeout performances from the last couple of decades. Here's the schedule:

SATURDAY

10/6/91 NY Mets @ Philadelphia - David Cone Strikes Out 19 Batters, 9:30/6:30 AM

6/24/97 Oakland @ Seattle - Randy Johnson Strikes Out 19 Batters, Noon/9:00 AM

-I remember this game well as it features a monster home run by Mark McGwire in the 5th inning that has be seen to be believed.

8/8/97 Chicago White Sox @ Seattle - Randy Johnson Strikes Out 19 Batters, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM

SUNDAY

4/29/86 Seattle @ Boston - Roger Clemens Strikes Out 20 Batters, Noon/9:00 AM

9/18/96 Boston @ Detroit - Roger Clemens Strikes Out 20 Batters, 3:00 PM/Noon

5/6/98 Houston @ Chicago - Kerry Wood Strikes Out 20 Batters, 6:00/3:00 PM

5/8/01 Cincinnati @ Arizona - Randy Johnson Strikes Out 20 Batters, 8:30/5:30 PM

I am suprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet. The Padres dfa'd Matt Bush. He has to be the worst #1 pick of all time outside of Brien Taylor. He posted a career ops of .570 in the minor leagues and never got above A ball since 2004. The Padres signed Cliff Floyd to a 1 year 750k deal.

I am suprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet. The Padres dfa'd Matt Bush. He has to be the worst #1 pick of all time outside of Brien Taylor. He posted a career ops of .570 in the minor leagues and never got above A ball since 2004. The Padres signed Cliff Floyd to a 1 year 750k deal.

Brien Taylor wasn't a terrible pick. He was a fine enough prospect until he got hurt. Bush has yet to even crack AA.

Since I won one of the Universal Studios 7 day passes via the Super Bowl and Im planning to be in Florida sometime this summer, Im thinking about going to see the Os and Rays play in August. TB is only about 2 hours from Orlando. Im also contemplating getting tickets to the 3rd game of the Opening Series vs the Yankees which is a 1:05 game on a Thursday.

Also, in a thread on Matt Bush over at the OH, this was posted:

El Cajon police Lt. Steve Shakowski on Thursday confirmed an investigation involving Bush and allegations of assaultive behavior and public intoxication.

A witness, who requested his name not be used because of the ongoing police investigation, said Bush was drunk, threw a golf club into the dirt, picked up and threw a freshman lacrosse player and hit another one. Bush also yelled "I'm Matt (expletive) Bush," and "(expletive) East County," before driving over a curb in his Mercedes when leaving the campus, according to the witness.

sounds like fun

Is Matt Bush considered an infielder right now or is he still looked at as a pitching prospect? The last thing I remember hearing about him in 2007 was that he was throwing in the mid-90s and was still 21 years old until, of course, his elbow exploded. I don't think he's played at all in over a year now.

I bet they wished they would have just ponied up the money for Stephen Drew or Jered Weaver now. What a colossal waste.

To answer Jimmy's question, he's probably considered a pitching prospect. He never displayed any sort of ability at the plate to suggest a future in the field. His track record as a pitcher is almost non-existent, but he at least showed good stuff in a small sample. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility to think that he could turn it around and have a future as middle reliever.

What's also amazing is he had a no decision in that game and lost one of his 19 strikeout games in '97. Sadly A-Rod steroid coverage has bumped those games it appears.

Has anybody else used MLB.tv? How was your experience with it? I noticed I can get a full season for either 80 dollars or 110 for premium.

I had it for a month and was satisfied. Check out your local blackout rules.

Has anybody else used MLB.tv? How was your experience with it? I noticed I can get a full season for either 80 dollars or 110 for premium.

I was under the impression that they didn't have Blackouts. One of the things that pissed me off about Direct TV EI is that all saturday afternoon games were blacked out due to Fox having the 1-7 p.m. exclusive window. I missed out on a Ton of Yankee games the last 2 years. How come you only had it for a month?

Howard signs 3yr/$54mil

This seems like a really good deal for the Phils. It is an $18 mil average for the next three years, when Howard was looking to get $18 mil this year. To get him at the $18 mil with no escalation the next two arbitration eligible years seems like a steal. Plus I like the fact it isn't a long term deal. Having him signed through his age 31 season should give a good picture as to whether he will remain legit or become Mo Vaughn.

Re: Ryan Howard.

I was just about to post that. As soon as I saw it, I almost jumped out of my seat. Really good deal and we won't have to worry about the next two years of arbitration with him. Very pleased with this deal.

The Orioles are going to have 37 pitchers in camp for Spring Training. None of them have won more than 11 games in a season, only Mark Hendrickson has more than 60 career starts.

Behind Guthrie and Uehara, the 3 rotation spots are up for grabs and the Bullpen is anyone's guess as well.

I was under the impression that they didn't have Blackouts. One of the things that pissed me off about Direct TV EI is that all saturday afternoon games were blacked out due to Fox having the 1-7 p.m. exclusive window. I missed out on a Ton of Yankee games the last 2 years. How come you only had it for a month?

I simply bought it near the end of a season. Blackouts are regional, if a team claims your area for television rights then they can't air the games on mlb.tv. Here's a handy map.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/RhUv...MLBBLACKOUT.jpg

I like the Rangers picking up a former ten-time gold glove winner. He wound up picking the Rangers over the Yankees due to our hitting coach, and at next to nothing, he could wind up being a great bargain. I do wonder how he will fit in to the clubhouse, though. I don't know how he'll get along with the emerging stars and awful pitching staff that already has two guys pretty much out for the year.

Let's talk about the Texas Rangers. I'm on record saying the pitching staff problems are due in part to below average fielding. That's why so many of their pitchers excelled outside Arlington. They have a tough home park and a tendency to make hitting their overriding factor in team building. So you've had Josh Hamilton stretched in center field, Michael Young stretched at short, etc.

This team seems to have acknowledged the latter problem by moving Michael Young to third base and plugging in Elvis Andrus (Omar Vizquel is a NRI and a decent bet to take the job to start). The Rangers have the deepest farm system in the majors at the moment. Neftali Feliz throws 100mph fastballs. Lefty Derek Holland is right behind him. They have two center field prospects in their top 10 as well. If the defense brings a spike to their pitching performance, this team could win a division title as soon as this season.

Andruw Jones though I wouldn't count on. He looks like burnt toast.

PECOTA's first stab at projected rankings came out today with the newest Depth Charts.

Quick notes based on the projections:

-Red Sox are projected to have the best record in baseball. Yanks, Sox and Rays are expected to be the three best teams in the American League.

-AL Central and West will be dominated by mediocrity, with all five teams in the Central separated by less than ten games. White Sox are expected to fall off the map (74 wins)

-The Angels are expected to fall hard as well (79 wins), but still compete in a shit division

-Cubs projected at best in NL - expected to win division by 13 games

-Braves are projected to bounce back and compete in NL East with Phils and Mets

-Astros and Pirates are the worst teams in baseball by a considerable amount

Projected Playoff Teams: Red Sox, Indians, A's, Yankees in AL; Mets, Cubs, D'backs, Braves in NL

A-Rod admitted to using PEDs from '01-'03 during an "exclusive interview" with Peter Gammons. It'll air on the 6 P.M. Sportscenter.

EDIT: Should be in the other thread.

Cubs should win the central in a walk. I mean really, look at the rest of that division this year. Brewers are significantly worse, Cards overachieved last year and are worse in the bullpen, Astros have no pitching atfter Roy and Wandy, Reds will only be a factor if Bailey suddenly gets it and Cueto progresses up another level, Pirates are still the Pirates. Cubs should win that division by double digit games.