TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Well, the problem is that they have a ton riding on a couple of young guys, in Yovani Gallardo and Manny Parra. Neither of them have ever pitched 200 innings in a season, so it's asking a lot for them to anchor the rotation. I think the Brewers hope they can make it to like July and still be in contention, and then make another starting pitching acquisition like last year, if needed.

How is losing your top two starters (one of whom gave you a historic performance in the second half of the season) while getting back an unproven rookie with potential not getting significantly worse? They'll have offense, but so what. The rangers had great offense but no pitching for years, hell, some years ago I watched some pretty good offenses on the reds lose tons of games. Pitching and defense wins period, offense only matters if you have pitching.

How is losing your top two starters (one of whom gave you a historic performance in the second half of the season) while getting back an unproven rookie with potential not getting significantly worse? They'll have offense, but so what. The rangers had great offense but no pitching for years, hell, some years ago I watched some pretty good offenses on the reds lose tons of games. Pitching and defense wins period, offense only matters if you have pitching.

And they have the defense. Notice how Sabathia got significantly better when he had J.J. Hardy playing behind him?

And they have the defense. Notice how Sabathia got significantly better when he had J.J. Hardy playing behind him?

And I don't think they have the pitching. I guess we'll see. I'm not saying they don't have potential, but I'm not ready to count on the potential of their young starters yet, when they haven't proven themselves. Besides, I highly doubt starters with so little experience are going to come in and be world beaters, it does happen (Doc Gooden, Willis, Hamels) but it is pretty rare

There were a couple of papers picking up on Abreu to the Angels. I guess the Angels FO didn't like those PECOTA projections too much and decided they might want to find a real hitter for their lineup.

Blue Jays acquired Matt Bush for a player to be named later.

YAY!!!

I have less hope for the team this year than I have since Ricciardi was hired. Part of it is the three-headed monster on top of the division, but a lot of it is that the front office has done NOTHING.

There were a couple of papers picking up on Abreu to the Angels. I guess they didn't like those PECOTA projections too much and decided they might want to find a real hitter for their lineup.

I appeciated Abreu during his time with the Yankees the last 2 and a half years. You know at the start of the season you are going to get 280 plus hitting, 20 HR's, 100 Rbi's, 100 runs, 100 walks and 20 steals. His defense, arm and speed have all gone down the hill the last several years. My main problem with him was that he is never carried the team on his back. His numbers were also a product of the team.

Here is the rumor about him to the Mets. That would be 1/4th of what he made last year. Ken Griffey Jr. is looking for a 1 year deal with a base pay between 5 and 6 million.

According to the New York Daily News, "a Mets official did not rule out signing Bobby Abreu, but indicated that any contract likely would have to be for one year at less than $4 million."

Last week there were reports that the White Sox offered Abreu a one-year, $8 million deal. Abreu is a poor defensive outfielder, but hit .296/.371/.471 with 20 homers, 22 steals, 100 RBI and 100 runs last season for his 11th straight year with an OPS above 800.

YAY!!!

I have less hope for the team this year than I have since Ricciardi was hired. Part of it is the three-headed monster on top of the division, but a lot of it is that the front office has done NOTHING.

How many teams in baseball have done something this off season? The Yankees went all out and signed the top dollar players and the Red Sox went all out and signed the potential biggest bang for the buck players. Blue Jays are going to have to pull a Rays and win the division via the draft.

YAY!!!

How many teams in baseball have done something this off season? The Yankees went all out and signed the top dollar players and the Red Sox went all out and signed the potential biggest bang for the buck players. Blue Jays are going to have to pull a Rays and win the division via the draft.

Great. See you in five years.

I blame the Coupons. Ever since that Madoff stuff came to light they haven't really shown much of an inclination to improve the team.

I blame the Coupons. Ever since that Madoff stuff came to light they haven't really shown much of an inclination to improve the team.

The Mets are a funny organization. I was wondering the other day what might have been if Doubleday had stayed or if Doubleday never pushed for the Piazza trade which coupon Fred was against.

They broke the bank on Beltran, Wagner and Santana, took on Delgado's contract, and signed Francisco Rodriguez. To what lengths to Met fans want the team to spend?

And yet we have massive holes in the middle of the rotation, at C, 2B, LF & RF aka the positions they don't spend any money on. What exactly ARE they spending $143 million on?

Naiwf, will you shut the fuck up? What the fuck do you want Fred Wilpon to do? Sign Manny Ramirez, a player the Mets don't really need, to a contract they really shouldn't sign, with a barrel full of money that Fred Wilpon might want because he just got fucking scammed? The entire Mets infield makes a shitload; they just signed K-Rod. He spends more money than anyone in the National League. Fist yourself.

Naiwf, will you shut the fuck up? What the fuck do you want Fred Wilpon to do? Sign Manny Ramirez, a player the Mets don't really need, to a contract they really shouldn't sign, with a barrel full of money that Fred Wilpon might want because he just got fucking scammed? The entire Mets infield makes a shitload; they just signed K-Rod. He spends more money than anyone in the National League. Fist yourself.

*fist bump*

A 1 year deal for Abreu wouldn't have broken the bank and would have given us our second best outfielder for relatively cheap. Or, they could make a play for Orlando Hudson and not let Castillo's retarded contract prevent them from fixing that huge problem in the field and in the lineup for the next 3 years. The Mets might spend more money than anyone else in the NL, but they're not exactly struggling to generate income. Between the new network and stadium, I don't think it's ridiculous to think they might upgrade some of the positions on the team that can be fixed with guys who aren't asking for 8 figure deals.

yeah can't get on the Mets organization for not spending money. I'm talking about signing people (outfielders, 2b) on the cheap. I'm not asking for Manny or even Dunn, but Abreu would have been nice

C, 2B and possibly both corner outfield positions look real weak. You can't have all stars at every position but penciling in Fernando Tatis as one of your corner outfielders is just scary

No, dude, they are struggling to generate income. Peter Gammons just wrote an article on it. Not to mention Citi Group is being pressured to relieve naming rights to the stadium, which would be a fiscal disaster for the Mets. They can't afford to pay both Orlando Hudson and Luis Castillo.

EDIT: Fernando Tatis is not the everyday left fielder, he's platooning with Daniel Murphy. If Murphy exceeds what's expected of him it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him take that spot completely. Also, guys, don't forget that Ryan Church was the best hitter on the Mets for a large portion of 2008. The corners are fine.

I like how you argue a team doesn't need to improve their corner outfield play with Manny freakin' Ramirez while simultaneously citing that their "best hitter" was a Nationals castoff who a) spent half the season on the DL with a concussion and b) had the lowest OPS of his career in 2008.

Maybe they steal a page from the Red Sox and deal Manny at the deadline for a swath of prospects to a fringe playoff team.

Nationals castoff? On a team with David Wright, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, and Carlos Delgado, Ryan Church outperformed everyone. He was a good hitter when he was healthy last year.

Maybe they steal a page from the Red Sox and deal Manny at the deadline for a swath of prospects to a fringe playoff team.

It cost the Red Sox $7 million and two good prospects just to get rid of Manny.