TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Spoilers for 10/9 Impact

Impact:

*Christian Cage came to the ring and that everyone wants him to pick sides. Cage says he doesn't need to pick a side right now or maybe he doesn't want to. He calls out AJ Styles to clear up their issues of late. Booker T comes out instead and tries to persuade AJ to his side. AJ comes out and starts ripping on Booker. Jim Cornette comes out and announces Styles vs. Booker with Cage as the referee for later tonight.

*Cute Kip pinned Rhino in a No DQ match after Rhino gored Kip through a table but was blinded by the Beautiful People. Several Knockouts made the save.

*Consequences Creed earned a Bound for Glory X-Division championship match, defeating Sonay Dutt, Jay Lethal and Petey Williams in a Four Way.

*Abyss & Matt Morgan defeated TNA Tag Team champions Beer Money Inc. in a non-title match. Team 3D did commentary during the segment.

*Mick Foley comes out and thanks the crowd for last week, saying it was a special moment for him. Foley said he is proud to be in a company where he can call what they do professional wrestling. Foley says he will be fair as the Enforcer at the PPV and will deal with anyone who tries to interfere. He then introduces both Jeff Jarrett and Kurt Angle. Jeff Jarrett tells Angle that TNA made a mistake in hiring Angle but it was something he had to live with. Jarrett said there's no other way to settle it. Jarrett said he has something that Angle earned and hands him back his gold medal. They shale hands and Angle tells Jarrett to apologize to his daughters because daddy won't be coming home after the PPV.

*Raisha Saeed and Awesome Kong defeated TNA Knockouts champion Taylor Wilde and Roxxi.

*AJ Styles pinned Booker T. Christian Cage attacked both and Jim Cornette announced a Three-Way Dance at Bound for Glory.

*Jim Cornette comes to the ring for an official contract signing between TNA champion Samoa Joe and Sting. Sting tells Joe it didn't have to be this way but it is what it is. Joe tells Sting that one thing Kevin Nash taught him was to be professional and he told Sting he did indeed respect him. They shake hands. Joe hits Sting. They brawl but security breaks it up. The fans start chanting "Sloppy Joe." Sting breaks through security and they pull them apart again. Then, Joe breaks through. They brawl as the show goes off the air.

Xplosion:

*Velvet Sky defeated ODB.

So from reading that...Joe did a heel turn? Actually sounds like a decent show but there's so much up in the air for BFG on the undercard that isn't delved into here. First, what are the losing guys in that X Division match going to do at the PPV since Creed is getting a title shot? Second, is there a women's match on the PPV? It's far past time they ended this Taylor Wilde crap and put the belt back on Kong where it belongs.

Oh and as an aside, why is Rhino jobbing to Billy Gunn? I actually think putting him with the Beautiful People is an amusing little angle, but he shouldn't be going over anyone of note.

Answers to all 3 BFG questions:

"First, what are the losing guys in that X Division match going to do at the PPV since Creed is getting a title shot?"

Terror Dome er...whatever it's called now will have all the X division guys that aren't Creed or Bashir.

"Second, is there a women's match on the PPV?"

Taylor vs. Roxxi vs. Kong

"why is Rhino jobbing to Billy Gunn?"

I think they're going to have Rhino/ODB and from the spoilers Khan vs. The Beautiful People and Kip

I actually thought a few months back that Joe should turn heel because he was booked as one of the worst faces ever, but they shouldn't have turned him heel right before a PPV. Does anyone else think that Creed might win the X-title on Bound For Glory? When I thought of Bashir becoming X-champ, I thought he would just hold it for about a month and lose it to somebody. And I too found it laughable that Rhino jobbed to Billy Gunn, considering that Foley did a hilarious joke about him last week.

Good God! Mongo should never ever talk again! EVER!

Did Abyss give a kid his hair?

The only reason he's there is that he's a local guy who's popular in the sports community. It's not like he's wrestling or they've even wasted more than a couple minutes mentioning his job. To impy that peope still care would mean that they were trying to sell the show based on him...when in reality they're not. They just have him in Chicago doing local crap and trying to get word out.

I don't really have a problem with Mongo being a guest ref at the PPV. It's about like Dave Schultz being the ref for the Nastys vs. Cactus/Sullivan match at Slamboree 94...local sports star as a ref for a violent brawl.

Yeah, the Mongo complaints just seem like piling on TNA or the WCW/TNA connection people love to pull out. Its just a local celebrity who happens to have wrestling ties doing a guest spot. Blink and you wouldn't even know it was happening (I actually did miss that segment on Impact). TNA likes doing these little celeb things just like WWE always has, WCW did, ECW did, and probably every other company that ever existed and was large enough to get anything resembling a celebrity.

Show did a .95 rating.

I didn't bother watching this one...just looked like a bunch of non-compelling junk, which has been like most of their shows lately.

I'm starting to wonder if TNA will ever get above the 1.0 ratings to at least a 2.0? And I have no problem with Mongo being the ref either at the PPV, but it seems like TNA does this stuff way too much, with either former wrestlers or celebrities. I mean, WWE doesn't do it THAT much.

TNA seriously needs to streamline itself. No one really cares about all these celebrities and junk. I don't even get the point of bringing in Mick Foley at this point. I think they need to get rid of some of older guys that have been there a long time (Team 3D, Billy Gunn) that aren't doing anything for them and just focus on good basic storylines. Of course, this stuff is completely obvious, so the will never do it.

I think the "get rid of old guys" thing just gets tossed around in vague theory. I mean, I as much as anyone am baffled as to why the New Age Outlaws have jobs in 2008 but neither is really a problem to the product. BG hypes PPV crowds and Kip is the gay fashion consultant to the Beautiful People. I could argue that putting a young prettyboy with the group might better serve someone better but the role TNA seems to want is basically harmless and probably not coveted by too many. The Dudleyz spent a year out of the tag title picture and have done a lot of work with the likes of the Guns, Lethal, Styles, LAX, Matt Morgan, and (in a silly way) Curry Man/Shark Boy. They've basically fallen into a utility tag role where they play muscle for heels when they need it, do some comedy when TNA wants it done (and while I'd agree TNA does too much comedy with the top of its card there aren't too many in TNA who can pull it off better than heel Bubba), and usually put on an enjoyable brawl. They don't mind making asses of themselves or putting over a young team.

I mean, I wanted VKM fired as much as anyone when they were getting pushed or feuding but ultimately if they're not taking up air time or card spots, and are helping TNA out in a variety of ways (like the Dudleyz have) then I don't see the big deal. And at this stage with ROH contracting its guys and WWE signing a lot of indy stars the last few years its not as if TNA can just load in the Briscoes, Aries, Age of the Fall, Sydal, Cabana, KENTA, and anyone else they want if they unloaded everyone over the age of 35. There's a place for guys like the Dudleyz, I think.

If TNA were strapped for cash and paying these guys too much then I might agree. And like I said, if they were taking up important spots in shitty roles (as guys like VKM and Black Reign have recently) then I'd agree. But we're at a stage where 2 weeks into his TNA run Mick Foley is a bad direction to go even when he's barely done anything and is regarded by most as one of the better story telling minds in wrestling, better promos, and recently better announcers?

And for what its worth I actually think this BFG is pretty basic story orientated. Sting doesn't think Joe has the proper respect for him and others so he wants to teach him some, Joe's fed up with Sting's attitude. Jarrett is angry at the way Angle has conducted himself after he had such high hopes for him, Angle doesn't really care what Jarrett thinks since he deems him done. AJ and Booker simply don't like each other and both have appealed to Christian to why they'd make a better ally, Christian doesn't feel like be pulling at and is frustrated with both of them. Monster's Ball is just a straight up fight between 4 teams who have had various conflicting issues and all want the gold.

I mean, personally the stories haven't really sucked me in that much but this build HAS been very simple and straightforward. I think if you look at it TNA really slowed down for BFG and did a similar build as they did for Lockdown. Very simple and straight forward stories, an actual lack of gimmicks amongst the top of the card (When was the last time the top 3 matches on a TNA PPV had no gimmick?), and the top 2 programs (Joe/Sting and Jarrett/Angle) were kept to talking over the last month with no physical altercations. The problem seemed to me that the BFG lineup doesn't have the momentum or appeal that Lockdown had with Joe/Angle where Joe seemed a lock to win the belt, the Lethal Lockdown match built around the deep Christian/Tomko&AJ story, and the red hot Kong/Kim feud. TNA really entered into this month in a lull and with the whole Sting/Jarrett/RESPECT thing having dragged on a bit long during the summer.

A little better time management during the summer and I think TNA would have a bit more interest for BFG. Because IMO its actually a fairly compelling card. Some real questions in matches, the chance for some title changes, some matches that could really click, and the over riding story. Which personally I'm expecting/hoping that Christian/AJ/Booker will be a good match that gets the faction stuff rolling (and hopefully gives us an idea of Christian's contract status), Jarrett/Angle will really be very sports entertainment related (given Foley's involvement and JJ's presumed rust) that will really set the path for the faction thing, all of which would allow Joe/Sting to be a simple match free of extra curriculars. (Which again, is basically how they handled Lockdown with the top 2 programs so maybe that's why I'm expecting it despite TNA's love of extras.)

TNA seriously needs to streamline itself. No one really cares about all these celebrities and junk. I don't even get the point of bringing in Mick Foley at this point. I think they need to get rid of some of older guys that have been there a long time (Team 3D, Billy Gunn) that aren't doing anything for them and just focus on good basic storylines. Of course, this stuff is completely obvious, so the will never do it.

Completely agree. TNA has an illness of pushing ANYONE who was in WWE, no matter if they are washed up, or a jobber. And having outside celebrities on a show that Russo writes is just scary, like the Pacman Jones fiasco. I know it was Jarrett's idea to bring him in, but it had to be Russo that wanted a tag title put on him.