TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Divisional Playoffs, AL Edition

This Red Sox/Angels series isn't shocking in the least. The Red Sox own them in the playoffs to begin with and stats wise the Angels were simply not a 100 win team. Anyway it looks like we're going to see Rays/Red Sox at this point which is cool since that's the series I wanted to see.

I think I would like to go off on a rant. It's time to rebuild and get rid of the dead weight. Everyone who started this game should be released and traded. Sociasia should be fired for keeping Hunter in there after he injured his leg. K-Rod should be shipped off to another team.

Here you go Boston fans:

Your 2007-2008 World Series Champs: The Boston Red Sox

Nah, the Dodgers will win it, cause you know, the Red Sox didnt win the last two WS that they won, Manny did. Manny will win it again this year, because he's Manny, so by proxy the Dodgers will win.

Manny, Manny, Manny..

Guest Vitamin X
I don't find the Angels a compelling team in the least, so I won't cry if they're booted from the first round. I just have zero desire to see another Red Sox championship.

I am in 100% agreement with you. The way I wanted to see it go down this year was to see the Cubs win it all, but if not them, then the Rays, then the Dodgers.

Not to semi-Matt Young it here, but the Dodgers (and the Marlins- blech) are the only two major league teams I've seen play live, well against the Padres and Rockies respectively, but yeah. So, I have sort of an attachment to the Dodgers because of that, but yeah they're the Rockies' division rival so it's normally pretty hard to cheer for them but I don't mind seeing them do well if they're in the postseason and Colorado's not (which is often the case, anyways).

Guest Smues

Damn. Didn't get selected for ALCS 1 & 2 tickets, so I'll have to stubhub it if they host 1 & 2. Lame. I hate scalpers.

Seeing the bird flying around the infield reminds me of a minor league game a few years back in Scranton. Bird flies on the field. The players try to shoo it. First it settles around first base. Moves to second. Shooed again, on to the third base area. Damn thing rounded the bases!

Finally the White Sox score some runs after loading the bases with no outs. This is the 4th or so time in the series where they have loaded the bases with 1 out or no outs and they were lucky if they got 1 run in their previous attempts.

The biggest reason by far that the White Sox lost the first 2 games was that they left double digit runners on base.

Harold Reynolds made the point that Baldelli should drop a bunt with the third baseman playing so deep. Four runs down, it seems like a reasonable move.

That's one of the frustrating things about baseball nowadays. Players establish their strengths, the opposition adjusts. From there it becomes a battle of wills. Ryan Howard comes up yesterday, team down several runs and the defense playing the shift. The team needs baserunners. Why not make the opposition's strategy work against them? Baseball needs another Billy Martin. A guy looking for every possible angle within the ballgame.

You mean he should try and go the other way in that situation? Because if that's what you are insinuating, I agree. He seemed lucky in last night's 9th inning to get that base hit just out of the reach of the 3rd baseman who was playing almost behind 2nd base.

You mean he should try and go the other way in that situation? Because if that's what you are insinuating, I agree. He seemed lucky in last night's 9th inning to get that base hit just out of the reach of the 3rd baseman who was playing almost behind 2nd base.

Bingo.

Ortiz has dropped bunts down the third base line a few times to get away from the shift. It takes a superb play from either the pitcher or the catcher to get him at first.

As an aside, Bill James raised a good point on the shift. What's the point? If the offense wanted, they could beat you with a single the other way. So the purpose is really to negate the hitter's power. If he parks one, it's going over their heads anyway.

That was a horrible piece of baseball I just witnessed. Absolutely unacceptable especially when nobody was really near the popup when it dropped.

This is true. At least the Angels have hit a home run in this series. I hope this goes to game 4 at least.

As an aside, Bill James raised a good point on the shift. What's the point? If the offense wanted, they could beat you with a single the other way. So the purpose is really to negate the hitter's power. If he parks one, it's going over their heads anyway.

Well, sure, there's nothing that a team can do through defensive alignment to deal with a home run (or any of the "three true outcomes", for that matter), but a team can still use the shift to reduce the potential chances for a hit from that player. Of course, I don't think there aren't a lot of statistics out there that can really prove or disprove the validity of the strategy; defensive positioning is still out beyond the fog of statistical analysis and, without some kind of game charting to show exactly what shift was applied and how many times a hitter beat that shift, there's no way to discern that it actually works outside of your usual anecdotally-fueled hosannas.

But simply citing the greatest negative outcome available (a line drive the other way) doesn't negate the effectiveness of the strategy by default; what are the odds that a hitter with a hit distribution profile skewed enough to warrant the shift is going to be proficient enough at contact to make such a precise hit?

As for the chances that the hitter drops a bunt to "beat" the shift, I would imagine that situation still plays to the advantage of the defense, just out of sheer game theory. There aren't many pull-happy sluggers that are also renowned for their bunting ability and, even for those that are competent enough, the play itself still takes away the hitter's greatest strengths at the plate.

Announcers shouldn't be allowed to do the "We'll see you later tonight!!! haha we're on the east coast and it's past midnight" thing.

Why not? The game's happening on the East Coast.