TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - October 2008

While I was looking through WWE's website, I saw a section called "Superstar Ink" that looks like it hasn't been updated in a while. Anyways I came across this little gem with Rey Mysterio. I especially like the quote under the pic. Of course, people are always allowed to change their minds, but I thought it was especially funny with those odd "wings" on his chest. I guess the Rosary Beads running down the middle of his chest don't count either.

ReyTattoo.jpg

J.R.'s blog said "In select parts of the world".

I did notice that, but as I am in a non-US part of the world, I thought it would affect me. Apparently it did not.

I didn't look at it very closely but it seems this whole "text to vote" thing is the 2008 edition of writing in "Get Well Matilda / Hogan / Whoever" way of getting your address for a catalogue. Now it's used for singing you up for WWE Mobile if you don't pay attention and cancel (again, I didn't read it closely - I just noticed this and that about a $3.49 a month charge that would occur after voting).

well now we know Cena will be involved in something major (like we didn't already). I'm wondering where the Cyber Sunday poster is going, it has Punk in it and a strange V for Vendetta-esque pose but there hasn't been anything indiciating Punk will be doing something at the PPV.

He might be wrestling for the tag titles if people vote for the match. I'd rather see Regal/Layla vs Noble/Mickie win though (it won't).

Posters also usually have nothing to do with anything, though in this case Cena really is slated for a Survivor Series return.

He might be wrestling for the tag titles if people vote for the match. I'd rather see Regal/Layla vs Noble/Mickie win though (it won't).

Posters also usually have nothing to do with anything, though in this case Cena really is slated for a Survivor Series return.

Well last year's Survivor Series poster had Edge on it and he did get involved in a major way.

I don't know. Really it's a competition between Mickie, Punk and Cryme Tyme more than the individual matches. I wouldn't be shocked if people voted to see Mickie on the show, put it that way.

People are seriously wondering why WWE won't put the title on a junkie, with 2 strikes?

As opposed to any of the other junkies who've gotten championship runs....

I'd like to think, in a way more happy world, Vince and Bret will come out together, hug, say it's all a work, Owen walks out, and while it's messed up they did it, I'd be happy Owen was still with us. Of course Eddie then appears on the Titan Tron and says, "Ha-ha, you fools, we're really all just in hell together."

Most of these "junkies" aren't one bad urine away from being fired.

And in the words of Scott Steiner, "tell them to get me and HHH a limo and we'll go down and do it (drug test) together."

They selective drug test. And in the 80's they never did any. As long as Hogan never got busted with cocaine, he could have snorted a pound a day and they wouldn't have given a shit. Same story today. So long as you don't fuck up in public, you can slide.

How many title changes have occured at Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday in the 4 ppv's they had? Off the top of my head, I only remember Shelton Benjamin beating Jericho for The I.C. Title back in '04. When voting for who should face who for a title match, or what stipulation this title match should have, it might help if they had a few titles change hands to make the fans feel like they were part of something important. But that's me.

Tag titles changed hands in 2004, 2005, and 2006.

You're right. The 2004 and 2005 Tag Title Changes were to the 2 wrestlers who didn't get voted into The WWE Championship Match, IIRC. It didn't directly involve the fans selecting who would challenge for The Tag Titles. Instead of doing this last year, they had the 2 losers of The WWE Championship Match,(Jeff Hardy and Mr. Kennedy), face each other one on one instead of teaming up to take on The Tag Team Champs.

Don't you guys find that sad? The highest ranking belt to get a title change at this fan interactive PPV is the IC title. Power to the people, indeed.

No, not at all. Just because the fans pick the challenger, doesn't mean the guy should win

Don't you guys find that sad? The highest ranking belt to get a title change at this fan interactive PPV is the IC title. Power to the people, indeed.

No, not at all. Just because the fans pick the challenger, doesn't mean the guy should win

No it doesn't, but it might help the perception of their only fan active PPV of the year if the viewers think there's a good chance they might select a new champion. I'd think that'd be more important this year than ever before, what with that ridiculous text only option of a $1 per vote.

Eh, I don't blame WWE for not wanting to change major titles on a PPV like this. At best maybe change the ECW belt at some point, but the WWE and World titles should change on a PPV where we at least know the challenger going in and thus WWE can promote it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they going to have HBK win the title at the first Taboo Tuesday until he got hurt?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they going to have HBK win the title at the first Taboo Tuesday until he got hurt?

Never heard that one before. I find it doubtful they would have changed the Raw title so soon after Hunter had just won it, because it would have meant the Raw title had had two short-term reigns in a row, and HBK winning the title would have only led to a third one.

Never heard that one before. I find it doubtful they would have changed the Raw title so soon after Hunter had just won it, because it would have meant the Raw title had had two short-term reigns in a row, and HBK winning the title would have only led to a third one.

I remember WWE was considering giving HBK a fluke win to give fans the impression that their votes really did matter, but HBK's knee (?) injury put a quick stop to that. They did have a pretty kickass match though considering the injury.

I remember WWE was considering giving HBK a fluke win to give fans the impression that their votes really did matter, but HBK's knee (?) injury put a quick stop to that. They did have a pretty kickass match though considering the injury.

This is correct. The company wanted the winner of the voting to get the world title to put over that the fans' choice meant something. HBK ended up winning the vote, but suffered a knee injury before the event. The company decided that they couldn't put the belt on him under those circumstances.

Why are they using the word WWE Universe so much. It sounds like they're childish morons that somehow have their own separate world. Which is probably correct. They used to say NOBODY IN THE WORLD etc but now it's NOBODY IN THE WWE UNIVERSE. Which is just the arena they are at for the event.

Why are they using the word WWE Universe so much. It sounds like they're childish morons that somehow have their own separate world. Which is probably correct. They used to say NOBODY IN THE WORLD etc but now it's NOBODY IN THE WWE UNIVERSE. Which is just the arena they are at for the event.

I figure they did that for the same reason that they changed "Wrestlers" to "Superstars"

I figure they did that for the same reason that they changed "Wrestlers" to "Superstars"

Well, they are marketing almost directly to children at the moment (GOD I MISS THE ATTITUDE ERA!), so you probably hit the nail on the head with that one. Also, supposedly Vince McMahon hates the word "fan" with a passion, so WWE Universe is probably a term his ass kissing yes men came up with to placate him, so he doesn't have to call the people in the arenas fans anymore.