TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Notorious BIG biopic

I don't care what anyone else has to say, I'm looking forward to this. I want to see how Anthony Mackie does as 2Pac, as well as Derek Luke as Sean Combs.

For all you Wire loves, Anwan Glover(Slim Charles) is casted as Snoop Dogg, and Jaime Hector(Marlo Stanfield) is also suppose to have a role in the movie.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy about this. Also, the guy playing Biggie goes by the nickname "Gravy." Hard to beat that.

He's an underground rapper from New York. Atleast they didn't get Guerilla Black or *shudders* Sean Kingston to play him.

Apparently Beanie Sigel tried to get the role, but I just can't picture Beans as BIG... Glad they went with an unknown.

Also, the guy playing Biggie goes by the nickname "Gravy." Hard to beat that.

There was a story in the The New Yorker about that dude getting shot in the ass outside the Hot 97 studios like two years ago lol

And here it is.

Woolard, whose hip-hop name is Gravy and whose songs include “Drugs, Drugs, Drugs,” “Get Wet, Get Wet,” “I Know, I Know,” and “Murder, Murder,"

hahaha

Don't we all know the story though? Dude gets shot. Sean Combs does his song and then all the East vs. West coast bs.

If the dude from Joy Division deserves a biopic then so should Biggie.

Don't we all know the story though? Dude gets shot. Sean Combs does his song and then all the East vs. West coast bs.

That was a really great movie. There's been several great musical biopics lately... Control (Ian Curtis), I'm Not There (Dylan), What We Do Is Secret (Darby Crash).

Hopefully this'll be another good one, though it clearly won't be as arty as those.

That was a really great movie. There's been several great musical biopics lately... Control (Ian Curtis), I'm Not There (Dylan), What We Do Is Secret (Darby Crash).

Hopefully this'll be another good one, though it clearly won't be as arty as those.

It would suck if it was as "arty" as those.

Let's not kid ourselves. This movie won't be anything near resembling "arty". Really guys, how many "black" art movies can you name? After Killer of Sheep, I'm drawing a blank. I mean I'm sure there are some but I'm an uneducated cracker!

I don't know what your definition of "arty" is... But I thought "Bird"(Charlie Parker bio) and "A Rage in Harlem" where pretty arty.

Same with "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai", if you consider that an African-American film.

Let's not kid ourselves. This movie won't be anything near resembling "arty". Really guys, how many "black" art movies can you name? After Killer of Sheep, I'm drawing a blank. I mean I'm sure there are some but I'm an uneducated cracker!

Depends. Do you count the more out-there works of Spike Lee? He tries to be artsy... operative word being "tries"... always thought he did better when just sticking to a straightforward story.

I was trying to think of some more examples, and thought "well gee, there's the Hughes Brothers, what was their arty-fartiest movie?". After a brief moment's thought, the clear answer was... From Hell. The one with no black people in it. Man, us white folk really do have the market cornered on cinematic pretension.

Yeah, I guess She's Gotta Have It and parts of Do The Right Thing could be considered somewhat arty.

Same with Mo Better Blues, and Jungle Fever...

I'm all over Slim Charles being up in this bitch but I just can' t picture him as Snoop.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Dude is massive, and if he can actually sound like Snoop I will be dumbstruck. But at the same time, it's awesome seeing him in shit because Slim Charles was one of my favorite Wire characters, definitely my favorite who never made the main cast.

I think that Biggie is overrated. I still like him, but really- this greatest rapper of all time shit has got to go. He recorded one solid album and a follow-up that was completely padded with filler before he was pumped full of lead. I'll give him credit for his accomplishments within the industry, but he's easily a far cry from icons such as KRS-One, Rakim and even Tupac (and I'm just naming the least disputable artists that I can think of off the top of my head).

One of the top-selling rappers? Sure. But I don't consider him to be the best by any margin.

I'll probably cry when I watch it, though.

Who gives a fuck about this overrated douche?

Oh, sweet irony.

Lol...ok maybe I wrote that just to get this very response. BIG made some great party songs that were the soundtrack to my early high school years/parties....but a movie? Really? Like, is this neccesary.....