TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The Hockey Thread - October

Ideally, I'd like to see Sudden-Death OT where teams just keep playing until the next goal, you know, the OT system they use in the playoffs. That would probably stop the "drag out the last few minutes of the 3rd period/OT" nonsense that we've seen under the points system with ties or that with OT losses. I don't like shootouts and would prefer to see them taken out, but the thing I'd really like to see dealt with first is eliminating the OTL's and therefore, the 3pt games that have pissed me off as a Leaf fan the past few years following the playoff, seeing two teams that they were chasing in the playoff hunt go to OT. Make all games count equally!

My problem with ties, and to some extent even the way it is now with loser points is that at the end of the day You're playing a game...the object is to win. Teams holding out and dumping the puck in order to get a point defeats the entire purpose of competition. I'm in favor of an all or nothing system. I for the life of me do not understand why you get a point because it took a team longer than 3 periods to beat you. When you score in OT in the playoffs...they don't give the loser like...half a win. And the shootout is annoying on all fronts.

But it's all still better than a tie.

Arguably, the greatest hockey game that has ever been played ended in a 3-3 tie.

The Devils-Rangers game I went to was fun, but not THAT good.

I hope you were joking.

I'm in favor of the Win-OT Win-Shootout Win, 3-2-1 system. It rewards teams for winning quicker and makes it so people want to win games quickly.

That's even dumber than the system in use right now. So winning a game 4-3 in overtime is two-thirds as valued as winning a game 4-3 in regulation? Why? Wins are wins. Losses are losses. This isn't college football. Let's go binary here.

Excuse me, but my system doesn't reward losses. That, by any definition, is far stupider.

And while I can understand simply wanting to go to W/L, I think there would be some outcry against the idea of a Shootout Win being equal to a regulation win. I think this system accurately reflects that sort of sentiment, and rewards teams who can finish in regulation rather than needing overtime. But that's just me.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
But that doesn't make any goddamn sense. "Needing overtime"? So teams are being punished for each having white-hot goaltenders taking a 0-0 tie past regulation? So finally getting one shot past this hypothetical headstander would only be two-thirds of a win. A pedestrian 4-1 affair counts for a full win. God forbid the goalie gets through overtime, then it's only one-third of a win. That's preposterous. Does the value of a baseball win diminish with each extra inning? Of course not, because baseball isn't trying to make everybody happy. Ironically, it's probably more intense for the fans to see the team finally win in the 13th. You win, or you lose. It really ought to be that simple.

I really didn't see a problem with the old school, win-loss-tie, nothing for an OT loss system. Sure it was a pain in the ass getting 0 points for lasting 64:55 of a game tied, only to give up a softie. I don't see the point of handing out consolation points during the season, when in the playoffs its win or die.

I really didn't see a problem with the old school, win-loss-tie, nothing for an OT loss system. Sure it was a pain in the ass getting 0 points for lasting 64:55 of a game tied, only to give up a softie. I don't see the point of handing out consolation points during the season, when in the playoffs its win or die.

Because people are not going to play as aggressively because they'll still be rewarded with a tie. Essentially people will play for the tie, rather than risking a loss by going for the win. If you let in a softie in the playoffs, like you said, you still lose. This is a tough sport; we shouldn't be handing out "Oh, at least you tried" points, especially when they can screw up the standings (A team with fewer wins but more OT losses making the playoffs over a team with more wins but fewer OT losses is possible, and I believe it has happened once before).

Again, I wouldn't mind win or lose. Doing away with the points system might help attract more casual fans.

I don't know why they can't just go to a soccer-style system, with three points for a win and one point for a tie, and no shootout. I guarantee that teams would play hard to grab two extra points at the potential expense of losing one.

^

I have no problem with the shootout, but I like everything else said above. I recall a few years ago, during a roundtable, that idea coming up. It was muddled, however, with perhaps the worst standing suggestion, ever:

Three for a win, two for an OT loss, one for a tie, nothing for a regular loss. The middle two might be interchangable, but come on. More columns in the paper? Horrible.

Arguably, the greatest hockey game that has ever been played ended in a 3-3 tie.

If anyone was wondering it was the Montreal Canadiens vs USSR on New Year's Eve.

Good first period for the Kings in St. Louis. They're up 2-0 on goals from Quincey and O'Sullivan, and they kept up their (so far) best PK at 24 for 24 against the (so far) best power play in the league.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Good first period for the Kings in St. Louis. They're up 2-0 on goals from Quincey and O'Sullivan, and they kept up their (so far) best PK at 24 for 24 against the (so far) best power play in the league.

Yeah, those Blues are a pesky little team so far. How'd they rebuild from scratch practically overnight? They had, what, 25 years of playoff berths, two years of absolute crap, one year of promise, and now here they are again? Ugh. Fucking Blues.

If anyone was wondering it was the Montreal Canadiens vs USSR on New Year's Eve.

Everybody knows the greatest hockey game ever played was the Miracle on Ice, and the reason it was great was because of how they WON THE GAME.

I'm not indulging any more half-baked standings proposals. They're all going to be retarded. Post one and it will be deleted.

Well, I can't claim to know much about the Blues, Czech, but they're still only 2-3 like the Kings prior to this game. I'd imagine that it's like other sports where things will balance out as more games are played. Neither team will retain their top spot in those respective categories for the duration.

That being said, they just had a big scuffle with every player on the ice involved. Mainly a lot of grabbing, though.

Oh, and I must mention that I find it amusing that the Blues have a player named Hinote.

EDIT : Damn, another fight.