TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/7 - 10/11

Michigan State yes, but wait until the rest of the schedule hits. Minnesota and Northwestern are frauds, Northwestern just less than Minny.

It will be interesting to see how Ohio State moves in the next two weeks. They could really shoot up with wins at MSU and against Penn State. However, their offense looked HORRIBLE today.

Another question which means nothing in grand scheme, but is still fun to ask; who deserves the higher ranking after today, Missouri or LSU? (In fairness, I was thinking about this when LSU was only down 13!)

Definitely Missouri as LSU's win over Auburn means nothing at this point.

What I'm interested to see is how far the voters bump Oklahoma State. They hadn't really played anyone before this week but now that they have a significant road win they should be in the Top 10. They certainly deserve to be there more than Texas Tech who we still have no idea if they are legit as they needed overtime to beat Nebraska today.

Edit: And checking the schedule the Red Raiders play A&M next week so no chance to prove themselves there either.

I'm interested to see where BYU ends up. We'll see how many BCS 1-loss teams they can jump, although they weren't overly impressive against New Mexico.

I fucking LOVED the Florida game. The gators fucking slaughtered lsu. Go Gators.

As a person who has no rooting interest in either team, I really enjoyed the exubrance on the Florida bench. They were very happy they beat the SHIT outta LSU.

So both the teams that people thought were going to go undefeated and play each other in the Big XII title game lost today, interesting. It kind of reminds me of OU and Nebraska in 01 where everyone thought they were on a collision course for each other. Then the Big XII title game ended up being Colorado and Texas.

New Coaches' Poll

Top 3 is as expected: Texas, Alabama, Penn State. But #4 is....

USC

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I guess the coaches were impressed by that lifeless 28-0 victory over a terribly overrated ASU team, where Mark Sanchez turned the ball over on 4 straight possessions. ;)

How anyone could justify voting for USC ahead of Florida and Oklahoma this week (not to mention, leaving BYU at 8 while jumping USC from 9 to 4) is just mind-boggling.

New AP Top 10

1. Texas (39) 6-0 1599 5

2. Alabama (26) 6-0 1582 2

3. Penn State 7-0 1492 6

4. Oklahoma 5-1 1306 1

5. Florida 5-1 1284 11

6. USC 4-1 1247 8

7. Texas Tech 6-0 1210 7

8. Oklahoma State 6-0 1184 17

9. Brigham Young 6-0 1131 9

10. Georgia 5-1 1081 10

Rest of the top 25

Florida had a very impressive win, but not even I can justify jumping them ahead of three unbeaten teams.

Wow, I wish the AP Poll counted for something in the BCS still. OU would be right in the hunt for the BCS title game in that case.

Usually the polls do a pretty good job of mirroring each other, but these two are completely different. I agree, USC jumping 5 spots must be people just glancing at the score and not actually seeing how the game went. "Let's see, oh damn! They beat ASU 28-0! Must've been a beating!"

My dad is a huge OSU fan and he's glad they're in the top 10, but pissed OU is still ahead of them.

Seriously, fuck Texas being the new #1. They beat OU in a very tough game at a neutral site. Alabama completely embarrassed the preseason #1 at home. I couldn't give a shit about Bama one way or another, but they deserve to go to #1. Just picked the wrong week to take off, I guess.

I know it's fun to hate on USC, but they're legitimately the best one-loss team in the country. Their only loss was on the road to a pretty decent Oregon State team and they destroyed both Ohio State and Oregon. Florida's right there with them and would give them a hell of a game, but you have to give USC the benefit of the doubt since they didn't lose at home. Oklahoma's best win is over TCU (good, but not great), and their secondary looked really vulnerable against Texas. They'll probably pick up at least one more loss before it's all said and done.

Here's my Top 25:

(Previous week's rank in parenthesis)

1. Texas 6-0 (4)

2. Alabama 6-0 (2)

3. Penn State 7-0 (7)

4. Oklahoma State 6-0 (20)

5. USC 4-1 (8)

6. Florida 5-1 (10)

7. Oklahoma 5-1 (1)

8. Texas Tech 6-0 (6)

9. BYU 6-0 (9)

10. Missouri 5-1 (3)

11. Ohio State 6-1 (11)

12. Georgia 5-1 (12)

13. LSU 4-1 (5)

14. Virginia Tech 5-1 (14)

15. Utah 6-0 (15)

16. Boise State 5-0 (18)

17. Kansas 5-1 (17)

18. California 4-1 (19)

19. North Carolina 5-1 (22)

20. TCU 6-1 (23)

21. Georgia Tech 5-1 (16)

22. Michigan State 6-1 (NR)

23. South Florida 5-1 (24)

24. South Carolina 5-2 (NR)

25. Wake Forest 4-1 (NR)

Close: Florida State, Ball State, Tulsa

We got screwed with our lack of invite to the title game in 2004, so really, I don't care whether or not we deserve to be ranked that high. We are, period. I don't care if other teams get jobbed out.

We got screwed with our lack of invite to the title game in 2004, so really, I don't care whether or not we deserve to be ranked that high. We are, period. I don't care if other teams get jobbed out.

I think the way the media has slobbed their knob since then and been ready to give them them the title game each year when they have one loss (right before they pick up the second) more than makes up for it. Also winning the BCS title the next year also helps make up for it. And the fact that when people refer to that year they refer to USC as the champions and forget LSU exists.

So if it's like 10 years from now and USC has won like 2 or 3 more titles, but are questionably ranked high at one point are USC fans going to bring up 04?

So if it's like 10 years from now and USC has won like 2 or 3 more titles, but are questionably ranked high at one point are USC fans going to bring up 04?

Nope, I won't.

Nope, I won't.

Then why are you bringing it up 4-5 years later? Amends have been made since then.

Not really. We haven't had that favorable end of year bowl selection to make up for 2004. I don't watch ESPN, so whatever they say doesn't mean anything to me. I wouldn't call ESPN fellatio "amends." If we are picked to go to any BCS game while not winning the conference and not being totally deserving, I won't bring it up anymore.

You didn't get jobbed out in 2004. You played far and away the weakest schedule of the 3 title contenders and had far and away the worst loss. It was only due to media fellatio at the time that you even got the "split champion" recognition when any voters with a brain in their head would have had LSU #1.

A few more ranked upsets this week in I-AA valley...

Texas State beat #3 McNeese State

William & Mary beat #4 New Hampshire

#17 Western Illinois beat #11 North Dakota State

Eastern Kentucky beat #19 Jacksonville State

Maine beat #24 Delaware

Rhett Bomar Watch: 29/47 (61.7%) for 361 and 3 vs. 1. 15 for 64 and 1.

Bobby Reid Watch: 29/50 (58.0%) for 311 and 1 vs. 1. 14 for 37 and 0.

Ryan Perrilloux Watch: 21/41 (51.2%) for 304 and 1 vs. 5(!). 15 for 39 and 2.

I absolutely love seeing these big hyped stars from I-A football (Bomar last year, Perrilloux this year) hit I-AA and struggle. It just proves that while overall talent may make a difference between the levels, individually there isn't as much disparity as one would believe.