TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2008 ALCS: Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays

Boston really is the new New York... you want to see them lose but no matter how down they seem, if you don't keep stomping on their head until they're dead they're gonna keep coming back on you

Unfortunately I believe this may be what Bill Simmons would refer to as a "Dead Man Walking" loss

That is true but not when the remaining games are playing at the losing team's home field. The example Simmons uses with that is the 86 series with the Angels and Sox but games 6/7 went back to Fenway.

That had to be a historic collapse tonight by the Rays. Even though they have the last 2 games at home I can't possibly see how they can come back from something like that. It makes me sick quite honestly, but the Red Sox will somehow pull something out of their asses.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I went to go dick around with some video editing and I came back thinking "hey, they didn't start the Rays-Phillies thread yet."

Oh, that's why.

I drove a friend home and asked him if he wanted to rest of the game, and he said no. I joked we'd miss the greatest comeback in history.

I come home...it's 7-6.

If Boston comes back and wins this then we'll probably have the fuckin' third year in a row where the (near) sweeping LCS team looks totally out of it in the WS against the 7-game winning LCS team

If that's not the most ridiculous game I've ever seen, it's definitely Top 5. I know it seems like square logic, but I honestly don't see how the Rays come back from that. If you can't close out the series with a 7-run lead with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th, when exactly are you going to close it out?

Just so there's no misinterpretation, the previous comment was less bitching about Boston possibly winning it all again than it was bitching about a possible fifth uncompetitive World Series in a row

I have no words.

I stopped with the laptop at around the fifth inning I think. I paced a five foot long spot in my bedroom from the sixth to the end.

If he can hold them off, though that might not matter since the bats still need to wake the fuck up, there may be something with Beckett and Lester wanting a second crack at the Rays.

Well, good morning gentlemen.

This is the biggest test for a young team: will they really just forget about Game 5 and just go out and play, or will this loss hang on their heads over the next few days leading to guys trying too much and making fundamental errors (Longoria's bad throw was inexcusable; he had plenty of time to set and throw)?

It's all on the starters on Saturday: whichever starter has the best outing, his team wins (yeah, I know, "Thanks, Tim McCarver").

It's all on the starters on Saturday: whichever starter has the best outing, his team wins (yeah, I know, "Thanks, Tim McCarver").

I completely disagree since the Rays could still lose even with a great start. This next game is like a Mets game with the bullpen having to put the nail in the coffin and until they do, that will be the lingering doubt I'd have as a fan of the team. I left the game when it was 7-0 and just happened to check up on the BYU/Utah game and noticed it was 7-7 moments before Drew won it. Odds are that they won't tank twice in a row, but bullpens are flammable and a young team will either brush this one off or implode next time too.

Baseball truly is incredible sometimes. You really don't see that sort of comeback in any other sport.

What about Oilers/Bills 93 or that Lakers/Celtics Game 4 in the finals this year? Anything that keeps a score has potential for a remarkable comeback.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think the Rays are finished at all. To me, this felt like the Cardinals winning Game 5 off that Pujols HR against Houston. Everyone went nuts about it at the time, but then the Stros easily handled them in Game 6. For all the arguments about team psyche and momentum, we need to remember that in the end, it's just one game. The Rays got shut down at home in Game 1, and responded by winning three in a row, so I don't think this team is full of quitters who are going to buy into the "Oh, here comes the Boston comeback for the win" talk.

Baseball truly is incredible sometimes. You really don't see that sort of comeback in any other sport.

What about Oilers/Bills 93 or that Lakers/Celtics Game 4 in the finals this year? Anything that keeps a score has potential for a remarkable comeback.

Let me clarify. I don't mean to say that special comebacks only happen in baseball. That's hardly the case. Every sport has it's own special drama but the nature of baseball lends itself to unusual comebacks. It's a by-product of having no game clock.

Beckett's definitely pitching in Game 6. He's the key factor. If they rock him again and get into the Sox bullpen early, I don't see them letting another lofty lead slip away.

I still think the Rays will win, but game 5 has to be really f'ing with their heads. I'm rooting for the Rays, but as a fan I'm glad this series got interesting. Either seeing the Rays wrap it up at the Trop or the Sox coming back will be great moments to witness.

Beckett's definitely pitching in Game 6. He's the key factor. If they rock him again and get into the Sox bullpen early, I don't see them letting another lofty lead slip away.

I dunno, it's been reported that he has a torn Oblique.

I can't believe I fell asleep before that happened. I suck on so many levels. I'm sure you all agree :)

I dunno, it's been reported that he has a torn Oblique.

I can't believe I fell asleep before that happened. I suck on so many levels. I'm sure you all agree :)

I certainly agree. You've always been a shitty fan, though. You fuckin' baby.

Ninth inning and beyond AIM chat if anyone is interested. Or even if they aren't!

Room name is: tsmbostonfuneral

Is it too late to participate in this chat? Is the room name the same?

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
If you can't close out the series with a 7-run lead with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th, when exactly are you going to close it out?

Against tomorrow's starting pitcher?