TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NFL Week 6

WINSLOW HAS SWOLLEN, UM, PARTS?

Posted by Mike Florio on October 10, 2008, 12:51 p.m. EDT

A league source tells us that the talk among the Browns is that tight end Kellen Winslow landed in the Cleveland Clinic because his balls swelled to the size of grapefruits.

(We think that technical term is testiculus coconutus.)

Actually, one explanation for the situation is a condition known as hyrdocele. And while the condition in itself isn’t serious, it could be a symptom of testicular cancer.

And, yeah, I squirmed in my chair the entire time I typed this.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/10/...ollen-um-parts/

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Hey they lost a Super Bowl almost as recently as the Bears did!

The Seawhos

The Seawhats

The Seawhys

The Bears are a terrible organization with incompetent management and idiotic fans, but immersing yourself in an autumn full of language abuse and Mike Ditka worship is what makes football fun, as far as alternatives to winning go. I'll take the ridiculous world of the Chicago Bears and the ensuing mental scars over the cadet-blue drudgery of the Seahawks any day. The Bears will give you Devin Hester punt returns and Jerry Angelo press conferences. The Seahawks will give you blehhhhhhhhhh.

Jeff Garcia to start for the Bucs this Sunday. I doubt this will make a huge difference, as Griese and Garcia are pretty interchangeable at this point, although Garcia turns the ball over a lot less. If he can stop being so jumpy in the pocket and not key in on one receiver so much, this could end up being a positive thing.

Guest Vitamin X
Hey they lost a Super Bowl almost as recently as the Bears did!

The Seawhos

The Seawhats

The Seawhys

The Bears are a terrible organization with incompetent management and idiotic fans, but immersing yourself in an autumn full of language abuse and Mike Ditka worship is what makes football fun, as far as alternatives to winning go. I'll take the ridiculous world of the Chicago Bears and the ensuing mental scars over the cadet-blue drudgery of the Seahawks any day. The Bears will give you Devin Hester punt returns and Jerry Angelo press conferences. The Seahawks will give you blehhhhhhhhhh.

If I didn't take such an active interest in hating against the Bears, I'd have more of a rooting interest in the Seahawks, but that's just my Pacific Northwest bias, isn't it? The Seahawks had a good team for a while until it just collapsed with all that terrible officiating in that Super Bowl a couple years ago.

I've noticed over the years that a lot of this board in general seems to turn their nose at the idea of a small-market team attempting to make something of themselves. Or in the case of collegiates, the idea of an underdog school such as Hawaii intruding on their bowl week.

For example, people will act like they're tired of Sox-Yankees, but God forbid a team like the Brewers or the Rockies make a big run, or we're bored with posts about how horrible the ratings are going to be, or "jobber roll! JTTS! journeymen!" or "Milwaukee Brewhos" and the like. I can't wait until Portland makes its rise to prominence in the NBA, where I'm sure this point will be proven in spades.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't think it will. It's not like people won't be expecting it or anything. (Portland rising to prominence, I mean)

And you can't get much smaller market than Green Bay, yet look at the Packer support on here from Oregon to Saskachewan to South Carolina and back to Wisconsin.

WINSLOW HAS SWOLLEN, UM, PARTS?

Posted by Mike Florio on October 10, 2008, 12:51 p.m. EDT

A league source tells us that the talk among the Browns is that tight end Kellen Winslow landed in the Cleveland Clinic because his balls swelled to the size of grapefruits.

(We think that technical term is testiculus coconutus.)

Actually, one explanation for the situation is a condition known as hyrdocele. And while the condition in itself isn’t serious, it could be a symptom of testicular cancer.

And, yeah, I squirmed in my chair the entire time I typed this.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/10/...ollen-um-parts/

Or it could be he "just" got kneed in the balls, it happened to me in high school playing backyard football. Believe me, trying to find an excuse to not participate in gym class because your balls are bruised is one of the most awkward situations you can be in. I think I eventually settled on a "pulled groin muscle."

I've noticed over the years that a lot of this board in general seems to turn their nose at the idea of a small-market team attempting to make something of themselves. Or in the case of collegiates, the idea of an underdog school such as Hawaii intruding on their bowl week.

For example, people will act like they're tired of Sox-Yankees, but God forbid a team like the Brewers or the Rockies make a big run, or we're bored with posts about how horrible the ratings are going to be, or "jobber roll! JTTS! journeymen!" or "Milwaukee Brewhos" and the like. I can't wait until Portland makes its rise to prominence in the NBA, where I'm sure this point will be proven in spades.

This. The one exception is in the NCAA men's basketball tournament, but only if the "Cinderella" team gets knocked off no later than the Elite Eight. Any further than that and it's "OMG JV BULLSHIT RATINGS ER TURRIBLE LOLOLOL." In pro sports, the whole notion that small-market teams are somehow inherently less interesting than large-market teams is something that really sets me off. That's why I can't listen to Colin Cowherd.

There are enough people on this board rooting for the Rays against the Red Sox in the ALCS to provide sufficient counterexample to Alf's claim above.

As for Hawaii, people were dumping on them last year moreso because they kept squeaking by shitty teams to go undefeated and were sent to the Sugar Bowl in hopes of repeating Boise State from the year before (who had one of the top offenses in the nation), which they didn't have a shot in hell. Speaking of which, I remember a fair number of people here loving BSU's win over OU.

Also, I don't ever remember using the term "Seawhys"

The one exception is in the NCAA men's basketball tournament, but only if the "Cinderella" team gets knocked off no later than the Elite Eight. Any further than that and it's "OMG JV BULLSHIT RATINGS ER TURRIBLE LOLOLOL." In pro sports, the whole notion that small-market teams are somehow inherently less interesting than large-market teams is something that really sets me off.

People here were loving the George Mason run from two years ago and Davidson's run from earlier this year, iirc

That's why I can't listen to Colin Cowherd.

There's a nice long list of reasons to avoid him

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I don't think so, Alf. The entire Internet loved the Oakland A's, and they're the dictionary picture of "small-market team," disputable as the designation may be. I don't think people minded the Brewers too much. I think the team was built well, Milwaukee has proven that it's one of the best baseball towns again, and I'd wish them success were I not stuck with those other cocksuckers. People minded the Rockies and D-Backs because people generally find bandwagons distasteful. The Trail Blazers are an established NBA power, so I don't think anybody will really mind when they rise again.

The Hawaii/Boise State stuff is just retarded, like the majority of intense college football fans.

That's why I can't listen to Colin Cowherd.

There's a nice long list of reasons to avoid him

No kidding. I'm sure he'd love it if we just skipped the regular season and had USC/Oklahoma (or Ohio St. or Florida or LSU or whoever) play tomorrow for the national title.

Usually it is a case of fans of one of the big market teams being upset that they got beat so I don't pay much attention to it. I drown it out like I do the media bitching whenever the Super Bowl isn't in Miami.

Guest Vitamin X

Ha, despite the fact that the typically awful weather in Miami (although not in January, admittedly) bit them in the ass when it came to that Colts-Bears Super Bowl.

Oh man, remember when the A's were a sort-of powerhouse...?

I remember when the Red Sox were to the A's what the Angels are to the Red Sox now...and that's a speed bump along the playoff road. I loved watching Chris Sabo and the Reds beat up on the A's in the World Series after the A's just pummeled the Sox in the ALCS.

I was referring more to their playoff runs from '00 to '03; the Moneyball Poster-(Step)Child period as Czech referred to earlier

Seems like so long ago at this point

As for the Reds beating on the A's, I'll always cherish that... and with the Reds looking as they do, I'm gonna have to cherish that for awhile now

Looking at the coverage map and I can't believe that in the late afternoon game I am stuck with Green Bay vs Seattle instead of Dallas-Arizona. Even stranger is that for the first time in ages we are not having the Broncos playing. Denver was always number 1 in the region, yet we now get stuck with a shitty Pack-Seahawks game instead of two good late games.

Decent looking AFC game (Jags/Broncos) and two crapasstic NFC Games, which seems to be the going theme this season.

Good day to go clean the garage

Man, i really wanted to watch the Washington game because that's who i picked in my suicide league.

Shift button please.

My games suck this week. Jets-Bengals and Dallas-Arizona? No thanks.

The Ravens need this game pretty bad, but with the injuries to CBs I think Manning's gonna have his first really big game this season.

Ive also got Skins/Rams (ugh) and Cowboys/Cardinals at 4 (might actually be good)

Again with the throwbacks for the Jets. Gettin' kinda annoying, but if they keep winning with 'em I guess there really isn't anything to complain about.