TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 1 Free Sale

In an effort to provide more detail for those who aren't familiar with the sale, I am reposting this from Cheap Ass Gamer poster DrDarkStryfe:

Buy 2 Games, Get 1 Free

Sunday and Monday only, save 30% on any Wii accessory. Excludes Wii Remotes and Nunchuks, but Points cards are game. This is for these two days only.

Read on for the best B2G1 FAQ in the biz!

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the big show....

Official Toys R Us B2G1 FAQ

Date of Sale: Sunday, October 12th - Saturday, October 18th 2008

In an effort to help the gaming masses, this FAQ will try to answer all questions you may have about this year's Toys R Us sale. It will also help you out in getting more bang out of your buck, how returns and exchanges will be handled, and any other interesting tidbits you may need answered. Any questions, comments, concerns, issues, gripes can be made here.

The Sale

Buy any two video games from anything in stock, and get a third game for free. The free game will either be the cheapest one, or the third game of three games with the same price point.

Is the sale online?

Yes, but until the deal goes online I do not know if there will be restrictions based on system or price point.

Is the deal available in Canada?

Sorry Canuckers

So if I buy three $60 games, I get a $60 game for free?

Yes, you can pick up any three games, at any price point. If three games are the same price the third one rang up at the register will be the free one.

Can I only get three games?

No, you can get as many games as you want, in multiples of three, and you will get a third free for every two you buy.

Can I mix and match my three games?

Yes, you can choose between all available systems for your three games. Example, you can buy two PS3 titles and one Wii title and get the least expensive one free.

What about bundled games (ex. DMC Triple Pack) of games that come with an accessory (ex. Guitar Hero)?

These games are also a part of the sale. As long as the product comes with video game software, no matter the price, it will count for the sale. The only exclusion will be the Wii Zapper.

But a game that comes out the 14th is what I really want, what about that?

Any game that comes out during the week of the sale will be part of the sale. For games that come out after the sale, see the Placeholder section of the FAQ.

Can I preorder a game as one of my games?

No. Unlike a Gamestop, you cannot fully put money down on future titles, only a small, $5 deposit. Games that come out after the 20th of October are not part of the sale.

How the Deal works at the register

(PAY ATTENTION IF YOU ARE CHANCING A RETURN)

Example one, three games, different prices.

000000000000 PS2 Madden 2007 $49.99

000000000000 X360 Dead Rising $59.99

000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $29.99

When the three games get rung up, this is how they look on your receipt before the deal is taken off.

000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $0.00

After the Total key is hit, the game that is the cheapest will go to $0.00. Does not matter the order it is rung, the cheapest one always comes off.

Example two, three games same price

000000000000 X360 Lego Star Wars 2 $49.99

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $49.99

Once again, before the Total key is hit.

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $0.00

When there are three games with the same price, the third game in the list will ALWAYS be the one that comes off as free.

Example three, six games or more, different prices

Before Total is hit.

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $0.00

000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $0.00

When six games or more are bought, the system looks at games three at a time, depending in which order they were scanned, from top to bottom. Here we see that the third $49.99 game scanned, and the $29.99 game came off. It is very crucial that you pay attention to the order that the games are being scanned in when purchasing six or more titles.

Example four, odd amount of games purchased

Before the Total key

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $ 0.00

The register system will always look at the three most expensive games, making the free one out of that set. If you purchase an odd number of games, you do not have to worry if one of them is priced a lot lower then the ones you want for the sale.

Paying attention and knowing this stuff is incredibly important when you are buying multiples of games, and "placeholder" titles for mid week releases.

Return Policy

TRU's video game return policy is 45 days, unopened with a dated receipt or gift receipt. If the game is opened, it can only be exchanged with the same title. No exceptions.

Due to how the deal is rang up, the games that do not come up free can be returned or exchanged for it's full value. The game that rings up free cannot be returned or exchanged because it has no value, only if it is defective can it be exchanged for the same title. Make sure the free game is something you want, or you are pretty much boned.

TRU's M-Rated Policy

Toys R Us has a very strict policy towards M rated software. A very small selection of M rated titles are in view on the floor, the rest are kept locked up behind the register in the glass case. You must be 17 or older with proper identification to buy any M rated game at TRU. If you are interested in a M rated title you do not see, ask an associate if they have it locked up in the back.

How to properly buy Placeholder games

I cannot guarantee this will work at all Toys R Us stores, some management might be against the idea, use at your own risk.

If a game you really want is coming out after the sale ends, but you don't want to risk missing out on something on the shelves right now, the step by step here is what you do. Remember, the return policy is set at 45 days from purchase.

1. Pick the two games that you want.

2. Pick up a game that has the same price point as the game coming out, and the same price point as the two games you picked up. Example, if the game you want is $60, buy three $60 games during the week.

3. Make sure that every third game rung up, the free one, is NOT the placeholder game, but one you want to keep. DO NOT LOSE THE RECEIPT!

4. When the game you want comes in, bring the receipt and the placeholder game to the customer service desk, and tell them that you want to exchange the game for something else. Make sure you make specific that you want to keep the one or two games, and that you want one or two different games instead. MAKE SURE THE GAME YOU WANT TO RETURN IS NOT OPENED.

5. If everything is in order, the exchange will be finished and enjoy your new game!

The 45 days will take you into the first week of December, so plan accordingly.

Damn, I wish Fable 2 or Fallout 3 was coming out sooner.

Although reading the last section, I may still do this deal, and exchange. Thinking about picking up Saints Row 2 and NBA 2k9 with this, there's not a 3rd game out I'm interested in though. Was just gonna wait a week or two for them to go down on ebay, but hey, that's 40 dollars each, for 3 new games. Which is probably about as good as I'll find on ebay as well.

I'll be picking up NBA 2K9, Saints Row 2, and then another game to exchange later for fable II. There are other games I want, including GH: World Tour and Fallout 3, but I'm happy with Rock Band 2 for now and I haven't finished Oblivion, so I can wait and buy those later on, no exchange.

Not counting arcade games, my 360 collection has gone from 19 games prior to GTA IV, to 36 now. Yikes.

It's not for everyone. For people like me, the freedom is a wonderful thing. But some people find that freedom overwhelming and don't want to go exploring on random quests and stuff. They like a more linear game.

Personally, I enjoy both. They're 2 different experiences. I love Japanese RPGs, which are as linear as it gets for the most part, but Oblivion is fantastic in my book.

Guest Vitamin X

Woo! NBA2k9! And of course a couple other games.

Personally, I enjoy both. They're 2 different experiences. I love Japanese RPGs, which are as linear as it gets for the most part, but Oblivion is fantastic in my book.

You ever play Eternal Sonata?

Woo! NBA2k9! And of course a couple other games.

You ever play Eternal Sonata?

No, but I liked the demo. I'm more interested in Tales of Vesperia. I've been holding off on buying the single player games, though. Those can wait. I've been buying the multiplayer games I know I'll play a lot, like Rock Band 2and NHL 09.

For any Canadians that happen to pop into the thread, TRU here has 25% off game accessories, which includes point cards. There's a few other Wii deals too: $10 Wii Zapper, $10 for some older Ubisoft games. I think the sale ends tomorrow or Friday.

So, do I do this sale or Circuit City's Buy 1 Get 1 half-off sale? There aren't really any games I want right now, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to Tiger Woods 09 (I hear it's much better than 07) and I could always use another Wiimote so I might grab Wii Play. I also never ended up buying Metroid Prime 3..

Well, even though I'm pretty much broke I still hit up TRU and got Mercenaries 2, Saint's Row 2, and Infinite Undiscovery. I would have gotten Dead Space instead of IU, but they didn't have it. BTW, it might just be the store I went to, but the registers may not automatically discount the cheapest. IU was on sale for $39.99 but the girl pulled it out of the cabinet 2nd and Mercenaries 2 got rung up last. The games ran me just over $100 but I didn't say anything. I checked my receipt outside and the register discounted the last game rung up instead of the cheapest one. So, I saved about $20. If you don't have 3 brand new ones you want to get, it might not hurt to give it a shot and get an older discounted one you haven't played yet. It might work.

So a friend of mine made a big mistake as he decided to do the same as I am, and got 2 games he wants, and plans on trading a 3rd for Fallout 3. Only problem is, he let them ring up the 3rd one as free without thinking about it. The other 2 are already open.

Now, it sounds to me, especially rereading the info posted above, he's screwed. But, is there any way he can work around it? We're thinking sometime soon, he can take the game back, with just the gift receipt and try to convince them someone got him a gift of a game he already had and see if they take it back. (Since the gift receipt has no prices) But I'm guessing they key in the numbers, and it'll probably come up as 00.00. But I figure he can do the whole "Well I didn't know, and it's basically the same thing" thing, and pretty much beg.

Think he'll be able to exchange somehow? Or is he stuck?

I picked up Lost Odyssey, LEGO Batman and Pure. The latter two are really fun but Lost Odyssey is taking forever to get going. The story looks promising, though.

I never cease to be amused by the various "buy a game and return it...OR TAKE IT TO WALMART!!!" schemes, and the fallout when it doesn't go right. You guys really that hard up for cash that you have to steal a videogame?

I never cease to be amused by the various "buy a game and return it...OR TAKE IT TO WALMART!!!" schemes, and the fallout when it doesn't go right. You guys really that hard up for cash that you have to steal a videogame?

Yes.

60$ isn't cheap.

I guess my natural reactions of "wait till you have more money to buy it or it goes on sale" or "choose the 2 games you like most and buy those" just doesn't apply here. I'm not exactly an advocate for Walmart or Toys R Us, but I have a hard time thinking of something more dirt-ass and trashy than pulling a fast one on some chubby, poorly washed customer service guy. Actually, being that guy is probably a little worse.

I guess my natural reactions of "wait till you have more money to buy it or it goes on sale" or "choose the 2 games you like most and buy those" just doesn't apply here. I'm not exactly an advocate for Walmart or Toys R Us, but I have a hard time thinking of something more dirt-ass and trashy than pulling a fast one on some chubby, poorly washed customer service guy. Actually, being that guy is probably a little worse.

Yea, but the question is, why pay 180 for something when you can pay 120? Returning an item is not so much pulling a fast one seeing as the deal is, Buy 2 get 1 Free. If taking it back to Toys R Us that is, because I guess I see your point in taking it to Wal-mart, but even then, you're exchanging an unopened product, for something else of the same price. All they're going to do, is put that one back on the shelf. So who loses here?

It's not like we're pirating the games.

Although, in my case that points moot, since I would if I could. :(