• Lance Cade
    • Kofi Kingston
    • Santino Marella
    • Ted DiBiase Jr.
    • Carlito
    • Evan Bourne
    • MVP
    • R-Truth

Ripped off from the previously bumped thread from 2002, pick who you think will become the next WWE "superstar".

If they ever get over MVP's dick comment he will be the wrestler of choice. Kofi is very over with the fans, but I've never heard his mic skills, so I can't say. I really like TBK but he just doesn't have the size. R-Trtuh is good and extremely over, and his mic skills are good but I haven't seen enough of him. Evan Bourne, despite his crazy moveset and highflying ability can't cut it on the mic, and his size isn't that good either. So my pick is MVP.

Ted DiBiase Jr. has the size, he's like 6'2. He has the finisher, the in ring charisma, and he's more than acceptable on the mic. I think both he and Cody Rhodes will be pretty big in a year or two.

Ted DiBiase Jr. has the size, he's like 6'2. He has the finisher, the in ring charisma, and he's more than acceptable on the mic. I think both he and Cody Rhodes will be pretty big in a year or two.

It's funny you said Rhodes, I was going to put him as a selection, but I had a feeling not enough people were feeling him.

As for my pick, I voted for R-Truth. I really see big things in the future for him as long as HHH doesn't get to him. Hell, if HHH turned heel and R-Truth went over him for the WWE title someday, there would instantly be your biggest star.

I put in a vote for Kendrick. The only thing I could see holding him back is his size, and really at Unforgiven he didn't really look out of place against HHH and others.

I love Dibaise, but his finisher his terrible.

I too went with Ted Dibiase on the criteria I pay attention when he is in the ring. I've been missing the Dibiase fist drop lately though.

Koslov, Cade and Kendrick are flash in the pans - I don't see them catching on past their current pushes. I think Santino will have a serious run in him, but his problem is Gewirtz a big fan of Marella and his comedy. Kofi is trapped in a midcard gimmick, Carlito's mouth will keep him from breaking out. Bourne is too small and is cringe-worthy on the mic, but I could see him booked as the next Mysterio.

Dibiase

MVP

Truth

Marella

Personally, I don't think MVP qualifies for this list. He is already an upper card performer with the ability and opportunity to make that next step. The rest of the list outside of Carlito and Cade are relative newcomers still growing and among that list, Dibiase stands out the most to be considered the next probable top guy in the company. Evan Bourne has a great chance to supplant Mysterio, so he is a close second.

MVP is stuck in the proverbial middle alongside the likes of Kennedy (remember him?), Umaga, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, Jeff/Matt Hardy and Finlay. It was just a couple of years ago, these guys were amongst the ones considered the future of company. Now, the old guard continues to hold its place and only a couple have truly broken through that middle ground and established themselves as new stars.

I like MVP for this, but he needs new in ring attire. I can see him getting HUGE heat ala Rocky.

Dibiase has the tools, but looks too "vanilla". It would be great to see him grow a beard like his pops did.

Personally, I don't think MVP qualifies for this list. He is already an upper card performer with the ability and opportunity to make that next step. The rest of the list outside of Carlito and Cade are relative newcomers still growing and among that list, Dibiase stands out the most to be considered the next probable top guy in the company. Evan Bourne has a great chance to supplant Mysterio, so he is a close second.

MVP is stuck in the proverbial middle alongside the likes of Kennedy (remember him?), Umaga, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, Jeff/Matt Hardy and Finlay. It was just a couple of years ago, these guys were amongst the ones considered the future of company. Now, the old guard continues to hold its place and only a couple have truly broken through that middle ground and established themselves as new stars.

It's going to take some time...Edge being an example of this.

Mike Knox.

My serious answer is MVP, followed by Ted Jr., R-Truth, Kendrick, Kingston, Bourne, Marella, Carlito, Kozlov, and Cade.

I don't mind Cade, but he's too plain. In fact, I'd have guessed Murdoch over him in the past... so much for that. I doubt Kozlov will ever get the reactions. Carlito's time has passed and he's made an ass out of himself too many times to count, much like Kennedy, but it'd take an even larger character and landscape upheaval for him to even be in consideration.

Marella will always be stuck in a comedy gimmick. Bourne's ceiling is Mysterio without the title win or large demographic support. It doesn't help that he can't talk at all. Kingston really needs some depth. I don't think his gimmick really plays that much of a role, for better or worse, but it's perhaps the best thing for him. He's just a wrestler who happens to be Jamaican.

I really think Kendrick's size won't be a large hindrance. He hasn't looked that out of place so far and has gotten some reactions. Truth is already over, Ted Jr. will be there in two years. Going by the 'next' criteria, MVP is on the edge, but just needs another final, sustained push. If not for recent events MVP vs. Triple H would be a surefire thing.

I'd have personally used Umaga instead of MVP since MVP is well on his way already. I honestly think if he hadn't jobbed so much he'd be there by now. In fact, I'd have given him a short reign already. I think I was one of those derisive of the gimmick at first, but I don't think it really holds him back much.

I voted for Dibiase. I've been fairly impressed with him so far and think he will be a future star if he works on his gimmick a bit more. His promo at the PPV was a nice start as he mentioned his dad being rich and he didn't need the money. Expand on that and give him a Virgil type servant, throw money around, etc.

As far as MVP goes, I think the damage has been done. He's been so buried on SD this year that it's hard to see him attaining a major level of success there. I've suggested trading him to Raw for Cade, and given the way HBK beat Cade down on Raw it makes even more sense.

I voted for Evan Bourne, just because he's different from what WWE usually likes to push and he's been getting over very nicely as of late.

If all goes well, Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes are both going to turn into big stars as well.

As long as he stays healthy, I'm picking Evan Bourne. He is a guy WWE really needs right now. He's a small guy that can get the crowds going. This is something Kendrick can't do. The crowds seem dead during his matches.

I"m more sold on Cody Rhodes than I am Dibiase. I think Rhodes could be a great solo heel in the future. His only problem is his mic work. In fact both guys have problems with it and No Mercy proved that.

I like MVP but he's a little too old to be the next WWE superstar. I'd be surprised if he lasts another year. Same thing for R Truth too. He might win the US title but that's about it.

I really like Kozlov but I fear that HHH will kill his gimmick when they meet. He needs a mouthpiece like Estrada or something.

Kingston would get far if he dropped the gimmick. He kinda reminds me of HHH 1998 or HBK 1991. Well maybe not that good but something like that.

Santino is fine right where he is. I think he will be this generation's Doink or Bill Dundee.

I voted for Evan Bourne. I think in the long-run, he is going to get so over, due to his move set and athletic ability, that WWE will have no choice but to notice and strike when the time is right. Benoit couldn't work the mic worth dick, but he was so good, WWE pushed him because they knew people believed in him. Bourne is in a similar situation. For the love of God, keep him off the mic, and let his work rate do the talking.

I would also like to add that Paul Birchill is one of the most underutilized talents on the roster. The man is sickeningly agile for his size, and has some great power moves, but he is stuck doing job after job, and somehow survived the Summer talent cuts. I still enjoy watching his "Monster Moment" clips on YouTube, but get pissed about what could have been.

Vladimir Kozlov - This guy is huge, but his move set mostly sucks. I don't buy his Headbutt of Doom and his Reverse DDT is weak. You would think for a man of his size, WWE would assign him a better finisher.

The Brian Kendrick - Again, I don't "get" him. He's an average lightweight and nothing more. Paul London was far and away the more talented of the two, but due to Vince McMahon's stupid ass grudges, he is lucky to still be employed.

Lance Cade - A decent wrestler, but really has no gimmick, and nothing to make him stand-out. I like his finisher at least.

Kofi Kingston - Amazing agility, but not much else. His BOOM BOOM BOOM schtick is annoying at best. He is still entertaining in the ring though.

Santino Marella - Fantastic on the mic, and a great comedy character. His charisma alone will take him far. I've seen some of his "Russian Tazz" work from OVW, and the guy has GREAT technical ability, and an arsenal of sick suplexes. I think he may be too far gone as a comedy character for people to take him seriously if he starts busting out the throws.

Ted DiBiase Jr. - I think the sky is the limit for him (I nearly gave him the nod over Evan Bourne). He improves by the week on the mic, and he's solid-enough in the ring. I would like his finisher more if he held onto the Million Dollar Dream until the opponent was on the verge of submitting, THEN drove him backwards with the legsweep.

Carlito - Lost cause. I hear he's in a team with Primo because WWE hopes Primo's work rate will rub off on him.

MVP - Working with Benoit MADE this guy. He sucked, and sucked hard until Benoit took him under his wing and led him to some great matches. Eventually WWE will get over the smartass dick comments. I don't see him becoming a World Champion, but he will remain a key star.

R-Truth - Another person I considered ranking above Evan Bourne. Great Mic Skills, Agility, and reasonable Technique. Future world champion.

I voted for R-Truth, although I doubt he'll become a *genuine* superstar, out of those listed he'll be up there the soonest I think. I'll admit to being doubtful he'd succeed when his vignettes started. Within a few weeks he's gone from minimal reactions to big reactions just through walking through the crowd rapping. Once they start elaborating on that, he's got every chance of getting to that certain level behind the top tier.

To be honest, it'll probably take any of these guys a long time to get above that tier and into genuine main-event positions if they do at all. Almost everybody who's there already has been wrestling for some 8-10 year minimum.

I'm surprised Cade has no votes yet, personally. He's got the right build and the right backing behind him, plus enough talent not to look out of place. He just needs something behind him in the character department.

Sadly I don't see Bourne ever being any sort of major star simply because I have no idea what WWE will do with the guy in the long term. He's terrific but at the end of the day is about 180 lbs. The most he could do is be a cruiserweight champ if they still had the belt. So he'll likely end up having tremendous matches and never going anywhere.

Is the Swagger love a joke, or what? He's got zero charisma, you can tell from his eyes he just looks stunned to be on TV (half the time his eyes just look stunned, period) and he uses Test's ugly-ass powerbomb as a finisher. So he does a few amateur throws, that's all he has.

In fairness I don't think we've seen enough of Swagger yet to know exactly what he can and can't do. I will admit I recall seeing Jake Hager in OVW and wasn't terribly impressed with his work, but heard he improved in Florida.

Is the Swagger love a joke, or what? He's got zero charisma, you can tell from his eyes he just looks stunned to be on TV (half the time his eyes just look stunned, period) and he uses Test's ugly-ass powerbomb as a finisher. So he does a few amateur throws, that's all he has.

I don't understand why he stopped using the Blue Thunder/Red, White, & Blue Bomb anyway.

I picked DiBiase. He has a good size, decent charisma, and seems pretty good in the ring overall. On top of that, he has the name as well. I think Bourne (hometown boy) and Kendrick are amazing but this is the WWE, and they don't generally know how to use smaller guys. Guys like Triple H aren't going to let someone like Bourne hit all his high spots. He'll cut his legs off like he did with RVD and produce shit matches playing only to his strengths.

As far as DiBiase's finisher, it's alright. I like that it's a play on his old man's move. I'd like to see him lock into a submission, like mentioned above though. Perhaps hit it exactly like he does now, then float over into a Million Dollar Dream crossface type move. It'd look brutal and I'm sure the fans would buy it immediately, as both the MDD and the crossface are established submissions.

I kinda hope that DiBiase and Rhodes become bigger name stars like Orton did.

If they improve enough, I wouldn't even mind a world title feud between the two of them (something that never happened with MDM/Dusty)

Well, Dibiase has certainly smoked this poll. Maybe the bookers were onto something when there was small talk of him ending Taker's streak.

It'll be interesting to see in a few years how correct or incorrect we all were.