TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkius Maximus

Fallout 3

I'm a fan of the Fallout series...I can't say "die hard" or anything since from what I've seen of the people who do consider themselves that mildly scare me. But I will say that Fallout 2, is up in my list of the best games I've ever played, and I invested a helluva lot of time in it. Doing just about everything you could possibly do, and getting just about every event you can.

So, all the way back in time when I heard there was a Fallout 3 game coming out, I was shocked...and then I heard Bethesda was making it. I'm not a hater of Oblivion. I quite enjoyed it. I beat it, and every single quest line in the default game. But the fact is clear, it twas nothing like Fallout. So I was worried, and followed the project off and on for months.

Now, with sixteen days to go, I don't think I've ever been more excited for a game release.

Everything I've read, and viewed on Fallout 3 makes me excited. Sure, there's still minor things. The AI doesn't look too impressive, but neither was the AI in Fallout 2. VATS may be easy to exploit...but you could do that in FO2 as well. Mandatory combat's a bit of a downer, but that was in FO2 as well unless you had *DAMN* good outdoorsman, and/or the ability to run like a motherfucker.

It is a Fallout game...just in First Person. The leveling system is in-tact. Character creation is in-tact. The multiple resolutions for quests are in tact. The humor is somewhat in tact (Watching a ghoul freak out because you planted a grenade on them is fucking hilarious). Hell, the enemies in the game aren't fully leveled to the character (I HATED this in Oblivion). Everything about Fallout seems to be intact...just not at a turn based form.

Watching all the videos they've released with actual unedited in game playing, reviews, and previews makes me giddy with excitement. So, I'd really like to see if anyone on here is like the more hardcore FO fans who absolutely hate the very idea of this game. I've thought about posting in those forums to discuss it...but their so fanatic and deluded that it's not even worth it. I'd like to think this place is more...moderate, so I think it'll be interesting.

Release Date: October

Formats: PC, PS3, 360

I'm looking forward to this as well, though I have read that people say the AI is terrible by today's standards over all.

Trailer from the Japan Conference - hence the December release date.

Gameplay Video

I'm getting the PC version. It's gonna be Games for Windows Live, meaning I can still get achievements, but it's cheaper by $10, and my PC can run it fine (though the reocmmended ATI card is a 3800 and I have a 2900...).

I'd say I'm a hardcore Fallout fan, but I'm not like those idiots at No Mutants Allowed that have been ranting about FO3 since Day 1.

I almost want to replay FO1 or 2 again. Can't wait for 3.

Downloaded and played FO 1 and 2 to get in the proper mindset for 3. Going to have to shoehorn this in somewhere.

I got to play a little of Fallout 3 earlier tonight. It's pretty fun, though I want to play more of it so I can get a better grasp of the gameplay and feel. I played off a friends savepoint, so I only got to do so much, but what I got to play wasn't to shabby.

Downloaded and played FO 1 and 2 to get in the proper mindset for 3. Going to have to shoehorn this in somewhere.

Re-installed 1, which I haven't played in forever.

Promptly broke the game, by making my perception 9, agility 7, and maxing out Small Guns over the first couple of levels. Got my hands on a rifle, and now most everything takes crits to the eyes at about 75-95%. That will tide me over until I get my Turbo Plasma Rifle and the Sniper perk at 20..

Re-installed 1, which I haven't played in forever.

Promptly broke the game, by making my perception 9, agility 7, and maxing out Small Guns over the first couple of levels. Got my hands on a rifle, and now most everything takes crits to the eyes at about 75-95%. That will tide me over until I get my Turbo Plasma Rifle and the Sniper perk at 20..

Yeah that would pretty much do it as far as waltzing through the game. I actually liked to go big guns and laser weapons. Disintigrating opponents or blowing them to pieces with the Brotherhood's gatling gun is fun.

Bump, since the day is finally here! Anyone else pick this up? Successfully did the 2 for 1 Toys R Us deal and traded for this earlier today, and have been playing for about an hour or 2.

First impression, WOW. I can tell this is going to be awesome. Although, first things first, I wonder who in the hell had the idea to put the character creation on top of a black background? I could barely see anything. I had to change my guys hair white for a second just to see what it looked like. As a matter of fact, I had to turn the brightness up in the settings, but I'm in a dorm so I'm on a small crappy tv. Can't wait to check this out in HD.

Because with that said, the graphics are amazing. Even in Standard. Even after seeing videos online, I didn't realize how good it looks. Majority of what I've seen so far was the vault, but that looks excellent. When you walked into the classroom, it felt just like a classroom. Yea, I can't help but find myself thinking it's Oblivion with guns but that's not a bad thing, as I enjoyed that game. Not to mention, in Oblivion I didn't really care about the story, whereas this one has started off pretty intriguing. And I think I'll actually finish this one day, rather then just doing sidequests only. I also know VATS will be my weapon of choice. Whether it was slow motion beating someone with a bat, or shooting them in the head, I don't find it getting old. Definitely looking forward to playing more.

So...I got Fallout 3. As I mentioned in the Xbox 360 thread, my 360 upped and died for no apparent reason a few weeks back.

I went ahead and preordered on Amazon because due to them shipping the 360 back to me on Monday, I figured...ya know? Thursday or Friday at most. Maybe even they'd get it to me super quick!

No. Monday is the earliest it's listed as a possible delivery.

So, for six days, I have to sit here and stare at the goddamn box of the game I've been looking forward to for years.

This. THIS. Is hell.

Got it and playing it. Did small guns, repair, and medicine as my primary tags to get an early boost but I highly recommend working on lockpick and science early so you can get everything. That being said I love how you can get really good weapons early in the game if you follow the main mission to a certain point. My character is only level 6 and I've already gotten my hands on the combat shotgun (fun for head shots on VATS, enjoy the blood shower), the 10mm machine pistol, the missle launcher, the minigun, and the Fatman (throwing around mini nukes = fun fo the whole family). Once I get my power armor training I'm basically going to go around and explore everything since at that point I'll be fairly untouchable.

I went with lockpicking, medical, and small guns.

And ummm..wow, just know that all of that cool, bloody stuff you can do to other people. They can do to you. I just had my skull bashed in by a supermutant. :(

Playing on PC. The autoconfigure settings put me at a smooth framerate, at 1280x800, on High Settings. Honestly, this is the first game that I think, got autioconfigure right. Got to Inafu, Or Imufe, or whatever the town being attacked by The Family.

Haha, the West's are dead. Honestly, I thought (still kinda do) that crazy woman killed them. Also, in Springvale, what's the point of the school? I got down to the tunnels with the ants, but didn't find anything special. I also have a library key, where can I use that?

Liking 3 so far, except for a few things.

Bethesda went a little too far to prevent the "fifteen minute gamebreaking" trick a lot of people used in FO2 (aka: Run like hell to the Enclave base, and swipe a suit of Advanced Power Armor).

In here you can GET PA early on, but you can't wear it without a perk..that comes at least halfway through the main quest. Damnit.

I remember this popping up earlier in the news, but yesterday I actually got a chance to see the Fallout 3 ads in the most-traveled metro station in DC. It's really cool; literally all the ad space is for the game, including banners, floor adds, Vault Boy decals on the various pillars throughout the station, etc. Much better than the cheesy Washington Wizards banners that usually find their way up around this time of year. If you didn't see them on joystiq earlier, here they are.

I have to go through Metro Center like four times a week.

The ads are a lot better then the anti-union ads that were plastered all over the place beforehand.

Still not sure on this one, might trade some games in tomorrow for it, but still not sure. Anyone want to give a run down of good and bad points to a potential buyer please?

Still not sure on this one, might trade some games in tomorrow for it, but still not sure. Anyone want to give a run down of good and bad points to a potential buyer please?

A condensed, more action-oriented version of Oblivion. The world is smaller, and there are fewer people, but each person is much more fleshed out than in Oblivion. I really enjoy the combat, too.

Just out of curiosity did anyone decide to

blow up Megaton

? I considered it for a good while and will probably do it if I do another playthrough.

Just out of curiosity did anyone decide to

blow up Megaton

? I considered it for a good while and will probably do it if I do another playthrough.

I'm going to do it next run thourgh when I go out to make an evil bastard character. It's hard staying in good karma. Too many things lying around begging to be picked up. It's not my fault people are absentminded!

Was I the only one that had a hard time finding The Family? I swear, I was walking around for an hour and a half looking.

Sorta paid off in the end. When I

walked out of the station tunnels

there were mercs looking for me, and I blasted two of their heads off with VATS. Awesome.

Was I the only one that had a hard time finding The Family? I swear, I was walking around for an hour and a half looking.

Sorta paid off in the end. When I

walked out of the station tunnels

there were mercs looking for me, and I blasted two of their heads off with VATS. Awesome.

Yeah I did that for the first time when I decided to clear the slavers out of Paradise Falls while bobblehead hunting. I had 2 guys on me point blank as I went through a door and went into V.A.T.S while carrying the "Terrible Shotgun" combat shotgun I got from killing Smiling Jack in the Raider city. Targeted both their heads and watched the carnage ensue. Combined with the "Bloody Mess" perk, it was a regular blood shower. Lots of fun.

Haven't done the Family quest. I'll get to it, I'm trying to do some of the side quests before moving on the main quest (I stopped before fixing Three Dog's radio dish since I head you can get some more stuff out of him than just info if you find out where your father is and rescue him before you fix the dish).

To find The Family:

go to the North Seneca (?) Metro Station, and look around. There's a door with two ghouls behind it that will hit you up with a quest, and in that office is a hall with some open toxic barrels. Go down the sewer grate there, and hunt around. Beware of traps!

Picked this game up yesterday after trading some games in for it, haven't played too much of it, but it seems ok so far.

Just got to the first town and

Mister Burke asked me to blow up the Bomb, so being the goodytwoshoes I am this time round, I told the Sheriff, he went to arrest Burke... and then got mowed down. Looted the Sheriff's body, took his gun and cloths... so I guess that makes me the new Sheriff!

I went to Rivet City early, before I ever went to GNR.

And in doing so, found a glitch. If you talk to the Doctor, she tells you stuff about your father, auto-completing "Following In His Footsteps." However, you will NOT get an achievement for this. Be careful, completionists.

I was going to put this on my Christmas list, but I'm hearing nothing but universal acclaim for this so I'm just going to pick it up after work tomorrow. I'll put Gears 2 on there instead.