TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkius Maximus

Fallout 3

There are a few things I dislike about F3, but in general, it reminds me of the old ones.

My main gripe lies in the fact Repair has been seriously nerfed.

Anyway, I seem to be doing fairly well for myself. I've reached level 15, and am finally living up to my Sniper of old. A particular plasma rifle you get for a quest reward

helping the android in Rivet City

is by far my favorite gun. I also managed to get a companion, who is

Star Paladin Cross of the BoS. She's armed with a Super Sledge, to boot!

My tendency of being a packrat has also paid off, as I have around 3000+ caps, and a huge stash of weapons, armor, and drugs. Including four different sets of power armor!

Did you store your stash somewhere? Was wondering if you stored your items in the cabinet in your house, would they stay there, which seems like an obvious yes, and most people haven't seem to have had a problem, but there have been a few on Gamefaqs who've said their stuff has disappeared.

I've stored some of my stuff anyways though (stuff I want to keep, but wouldn't really care if it was lost) because there's nothing worse then being in the middle of a quest, or more specifically a tunnel or something where you can't port back to town, and then seeing that damn over encumbered message. And having to drop some stuff, missing out on all those caps, I probably won't feel like going back to get. :(

Did you store your stash somewhere? Was wondering if you stored your items in the cabinet in your house, would they stay there, which seems like an obvious yes, and most people haven't seem to have had a problem, but there have been a few on Gamefaqs who've said their stuff has disappeared.

The cabinet and the desk, yeah. I haven't had anything disappear yet, but I also keep a couple of recent saves just in case.

I'll be getting back my 360 tomorrow. I'm trying to get school work out the way so I can gorge, but we'll see how that goes. I wish I could say during this downtime that I've used my 360 less time for good, but that would be a lie.

Most of the complaints I've seen of Fallout 3 fall into a few categories:

#1 is obviously Fallout fans who are annoyed the game isn't isometric or turn based. This was heavy before the game came out, and it seems to be making a comeback.

#2 are shooter fans who don't like the RPG aspect or RPG fans who don't like the shooting aspect. I've seen it go both ways. Fascinating.

#3 are legitimate complaints. These come rarely. Stuff like Power Armor being nerfed dramatically, or Gauss weapons not being in the game. Legitimate gripes about how Bethesda handled the game.

and then there's weird stuff. Like right after the game came out, I was seeing alot of Fallout 3 versus Mass Effect posts. I've had quite a bit of fun monitoring the board at Bethesda's forums.

I was thinking of picking this up for my PS3, but it just didn't feel right getting a Fallout game for a console, so I picked up the PC version. Definitely glad I did. I have all the visuals maxed out to full and it looks amazing.

Haven't played much yet, but so far I don't really care that it's a different style than the first 2.

and then there's weird stuff. Like right after the game came out, I was seeing alot of Fallout 3 versus Mass Effect posts. I've had quite a bit of fun monitoring the board at Bethesda's forums.

From watching gameplay videos and reading articles, I'm getting more of a BioShock vibe from it instead of Mass Effect.

Leisurely working my way through it. Halfway through level 16 and still doing the odd side quest. Just helped lead a massacre of Tenpenny Tower, but it didn't hit my karma that badly, I'm still the equivalent of Jesus with a minigun. Got my power armor (which seems to get damaged way too easily and is expensive to fix since there aren't exactly suits to repair with just lying around) and just wandering the Wasteland trying to find as much stuff as possible. Going to find the other Vaults in the area since there are 3 (I think) that aren't storyline related. Still looking for all the bobbleheads more than anything. I've got 7 total right now. Hard to find since they're so damn easy to overlook. Also don't like how underpowered the energy guns are. The plasma rifle is ok but the laser pistol (even The Protector's Eye, a special one you get from The Machinist) is almost worthless. Usually just carry the 10mm machinegun or the Chinese assault rifle for everyday use, with the Terrible Shotgun for up close and dirty work. For really big nasties (the Super Mutants, Sentry Bots, etc.) I've got my choice of minigun, missle launcher, or the Fatman. Your encumberance really doesn't affect you that much, and you can carry a shitload of stuff since ammo and medicine doesn't weigh anything.

This game looks awesome, but I will probably hold off. I have a PC that should be able to run it, but I'm not sure how well. However, there's a good chance I could be getting a PS3 for Christmas (or shortly after), so I may just wait and get the PS3 version then.

You do just stick it on. That's why you can eat a mentat (which if you don't already have in your inventory, you can get from the guy at the waterplant after hours). Eating it raises your exp in that area for a few minutes and lets you attach the thing. All you have to do is walk right up to it and it will pop up the option to attach.

My roommate logged a ton of hours this weekend and I started a character the other day. Love it already, only about four hours in. Now that I've gotten a handle on how to balance VATS and real-time combat, I'm really enjoying all aspects of the engine. I'm only at Megaton (after spending a little time clearing out Springvale Elementary and piling up gear), but I can already see that this is going to be just like its predecessors in terms of having tremendous replayability.

I killed the guy that asked me to blow up Megaton. I don't roll that way (at least, not now). I also started ransacking Moira's place and the mercenary there didn't like that so I had to take care of him as well, leading to me being chased out of Megaton by all the irate townspeople.

I also just got the Fat Man. Cooooooooool.

I got my 360 and Fallout yesterday. I'm already level seven going on eight. I've played...alot.

The game has issues. It plays like a meshing of Oblivion and Fallout, but it's still a good game. I am a "Ranger of the Wastes" and beloved by the peoples!

Too bad my character build is kind of broken. When I made my guy, I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do with him. I tagged Repair, Small Guns, and Lockpicking for the early game. I wish I had tagged Science. I also made a mistake because I wanted to be a Big Gun character, but when I couldn't find any big guns, I started working on my Small guns. This has paid off tremendously. So I kind of wasted the stats I put in Big Guns. It is INCREDIBLY frustrating not being able to do certain things because I don't have high enough science...but whatcha gonna do.

Considering my level, I'm probably pretty well off. I have a Magnum 44 with a scope, an assault rifle, a .10 MM Submachinegun, two types of Shotgun, a sniper, various bombs, and a Shishkabob. And more importantly, I have ammo for everything.

Blowing a Super Mutant Brute's head off with a single sniper shot without vats = Fucking funny.

I rented the game last night and I've been playing all day. I would have been playing last night but I fell asleep.

Anyways I have some questions.

-Is there a easier way for to make money or caps?

I'm currently in Megaton and I really have no money and I've been trying to sell stuff to make some money but that hasn't been working either.

-Can someone explain to me hacking?

I tried hacking my first computer today in the super market, but it was confusing. Do I just pick out a random word and hope it's the right one?

-Ammo is sold in Megaton right and is it cheap?

I keep running low on Ammo and I keep having to scramble to find more. I'm currently zero'd out on all Ammo and I need to find a lot more.

-Should I wait till I'm a higher level before I take on the fire ant ran out?

I went into that city looking for that kids dad but I was ran out by the fire ants. Should I wait on this mission for a little while until I reach a higher level?

1. Best way to make money is to scavange. Steal, loot, whatever you have to. There's no "easy" way to make money, and things like Ammo cost alot.

2. Hacking works thusly. You select a word. It then tells you how many letters/numbers were correct in that answer. From there it's a logic puzzle. You just have to find the one word that has the values.

3. Ammo is sold in several places, but I don't think I'd call it "cheap". If you have good barter, you'll do better, but it's not very cheap.

4. God yes. Don't even go near those ants. I'm almost level eight, and I still haven't done it. Evil, mean creatures.

1. Check every box and carry whatever you can. Also, go a little northwest of Vault 101 near Springvale Elementary, and you'll find a former resident of Megaton from whom you can between 300-400 caps very easily via several different potential paths. You may be able to use speech to get either the Sheriff or the shady guy in Moriarty's to give you 500 caps for doing the things they ask you to do. If speech fails, you can still get 100 or so.

2. The other important thing to note about hacking is that 4 failures locks the terminal permanently. If you get to your third word choice and don't know the answer, back out and try again, and the password will reset.

3. I'm playing a character with 7 charisma and decent early game barter stats, and I basically pay 1 cap per round on any ammo. Save ammo by forgoing VATS and using melee weapons on animals and bugs.

4. Yeah, avoid those dudes. I had to flee them as well.

I am deep in the Fire Ants quest. To show how difficult this is, I went in with 60+ Shotgun shells, 40+Magnum Ammo, and over 150+ In 10 MM ammo and other ammo, and I am just about tapped for ammo. I still have the 10 MM Ammo, but that's about it.

The quest was a breeze until I ran out of Magnum ammo. One well aimed shot to the head would kill them, but after I ran out it's been much harder. I'm also out of stimpacks, and basically just ingesting whatever I have on me to survive.

If getting back to a place I could fast travel from wouldn't be a bitch, I'd just run to Rivet City and restock up. I'm not even to the "hard" part of the quest yet.

I killed everyone in Tenpenny tower, EVERYONE; from the security guards to Tenpenny himself. It's a good way to make caps and get stimpacks and ammo. You're not going to do well in this game by being good. I think I might have gone over the edge though because I killed all the settlers in Arefu. Oh well.

I'm doing pretty good being good. I'd be doing even better had I been able to complete optional requirements on some of the quests, but for some reason or another I couldn't.

The key is that you can't be "TOO" good. You have to steal to survive. If I couldn't steal guns, ammo, or just random stuff I'd have no money whatsoever.

I basically started killing because I stole out of a wardrobe not realizing the owner was in the same room. Since I didn't want him to alert security I blew his brains out. A guard came in but I killed him too, easily. After that I went on a killing spree which started with Mr. Burke and ended with that old doctor. Then I went to Ft. Independence or whatever it is and killed all the people inside.

On the way to the radio station I saved a scavenger but then decided to kill her and I took all her caps and inventory. Kill people, it works.

I killed everyone in Tenpenny tower, EVERYONE; from the security guards to Tenpenny himself. It's a good way to make caps and get stimpacks and ammo. You're not going to do well in this game by being good. I think I might have gone over the edge though because I killed all the settlers in Arefu. Oh well.

Yeah. I'm going through as a saint...and it's a tough haul. I'm looking forward to playing it back as evil and killing every fucking bitch in the city.

I'm trying to stay good, but I'll do what I have to do to survive. If that means offing the occasional scavenger, so be it.

One way to build up caps and items is to go around at night around the elementary school or the supermarket that Moira sends you to. Both places usually have stuff to pick up and Raiders to kill. In fact, I'd recommend doing her quest (the first part at least) early on. Not only does it get you familiar with the surrounding area, you can get some decent stuff. Once you get the house in Megaton you'll be able to use the lockers to stockpile things, which is a great way to hang on to important stuff that you can use at the workbench of Craterside Supply since it is just a short trip.

I've played as a veritable saint and things have worked out rather well for me. Lots of ammo, caps, and badass weaponry. My suggestion is collect lots of raider armor, then start repairing it to up it's value. Same with guns. Though Super Mutants tend to drop Assault Rifles in pretty good shape that sell for a good amount. Next play through I'm gonna be an evil dick though.

Where is the Brotherhood of Steel HQ? I've been dicking around the downtown DC area and now I want to be able to equip some Power Armor.

Oh and seriously, fuck those goddamn ants. I go into the quest at level 10 or so, with lots of ammo, stimpacks, food and full health. I end up with no ammo for any of my guns, no food, no stimpacks, one single bar/sliver of health, and addicted to Buffout. Fuck that quest and the little kid. And since I didn't help the kid after the quest, I got Three Dog bitching at me over the radio.

What I want to know is how does killing certain characters affect the game? I killed Three Dog after he told me where I might find my dad. I whacked him with a sledgehammer and he just exploded. I wonder if he just respawns and does his radio thing or is that it for him?

I've played as a veritable saint and things have worked out rather well for me. Lots of ammo, caps, and badass weaponry. My suggestion is collect lots of raider armor, then start repairing it to up it's value. Same with guns. Though Super Mutants tend to drop Assault Rifles in pretty good shape that sell for a good amount. Next play through I'm gonna be an evil dick though.

Where is the Brotherhood of Steel HQ? I've been dicking around the downtown DC area and now I want to be able to equip some Power Armor.

Oh and seriously, fuck those goddamn ants. I go into the quest at level 10 or so, with lots of ammo, stimpacks, food and full health. I end up with no ammo for any of my guns, no food, no stimpacks, one single bar/sliver of health, and addicted to Buffout. Fuck that quest and the little kid. And since I didn't help the kid after the quest, I got Three Dog bitching at me over the radio.

BoS is in the Pentagon. You'll get there automatically if you follow the main quest to a certain point. I don't think they'll let you in before then.

Main, I was all the way up to "Paragon of Humanity" or whatever it was and made one little mistake and it cost me a ton of karma. I went up to the Republic of Dave and accidentally pissed off Dave, so he gave me 1 hour to get out of town or he'd kill me. I left the building then went back in a few seconds later. Dave pulls a gun and shoots at me, so my follower (Paladin Cross) whacks his ass with a super sledge. That gets everyone on me. We fight our way out of town, killing only those who shoot at us first, but when I check my stats I'm back at neutral karma. Pissed me off. Self-defense should be a valid defense.

I'm level 12 or so now...I got Dogmeat, and I actually find it more interesting now. If he dies, you can't bring him back (or any other companions), so I'm constantly aware of him and what he's doing. He died on me once by rushing into a room with four super mutants brutes, and there wasn't anything I could do to save him.

Myself though? At this point, with my sheer armament and caps, there isn't anything I've ran into that can kill me. Four super mutants brutes can hurt me, but they can't come close to killing me. As long as I have my Combat Shotgun, Sniper, and Magnum well stocked, they die far quicker then I ever could.

I'm trying to get to the National Archive, but I cannot find the way...I was trying to get to the GNR Building for no real reason yesterday, but same thing. There's always building and piles of concrete in my damned way.