TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkius Maximus

Fallout 3

Yeah it's open world but once you get into D.C. proper it's somewhat more linear. They really want you to hang around the metro.

I had Dogmeat for a while, but the damn dog kept running in to too much trouble. I ended up with him and Paladin Cross, but as I'm heading out into the Wastelands I end up coming across a fight between a group of Raiders and 3 Giant Radscorpions. I try to go around the fight but one of the Raiders somehow spots me and EVERYTHING crashes down on my party. Dogmeat runs right towards the Radscorpions and gets killed in about 10 seconds. This is after a couple of earlier deaths for him, so I finally decide that man's best friend should know better, and I let him shuffle off his mortal coil. I wish there would have been an option for him to stay out of the fighting, but instead all you get is either "fight" or "meet me at the Vault". Kinda sucked.

If you want to see something tremendously sick, check out the east side of the Capitol Building at night, near the Ranger hideout. The gigantic battle I came across looked like something out of Terminator.

Yeah I just ran into that while doing the Reilly's Rangers quest. Unfortunately it was the daytime so it didn't look quite as incredible, but watching the Super Muties, Raiders, and Enclave troops go free for all was crazy. Then I walked in, fired off a couple of Fat Men, and wiped everything out. Good times, good times.

The secret to the fire ants mission? A hunting rifle. You'll want a longer range weapon that keeps you away from the fire breath (or at least on the edge so you don't take massive damage) and that is the best one since it is accurate and fairly powerful. Most Super Mutants have them. Also, if there are a bunch surrounding you, use VATS to shoot one or two in the antennae to make them frenzied, which causes them to attack the other ants so you can stand back and watch them charbroil each other.

I made my way to Rivet City and wandered around the area for a good 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get on the ship before I saw the intercom box. I'm an idiot.

The secret to the fire ants mission? A hunting rifle. You'll want a longer range weapon that keeps you away from the fire breath (or at least on the edge so you don't take massive damage) and that is the best one since it is accurate and fairly powerful. Most Super Mutants have them. Also, if there are a bunch surrounding you, use VATS to shoot one or two in the antennae to make them frenzied, which causes them to attack the other ants so you can stand back and watch them charbroil each other.

I made my way to Rivet City and wandered around the area for a good 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get on the ship before I saw the intercom box. I'm an idiot.

I ran out of ammo during the fire ant mission and I beat it by pulling out the trusty old baseball bat and bashed their brains in. I had two left to kill so I lured the one out away from the other and just hopped over it before it could project any fire at me and started wailing away at it. It seems that if you stay pretty much on top of it then it won't release any fire, I assume it's because it doesn't want to kill itself.

20 minutes here.

Use the .44 Scoped Magnum on the Fire Ants. You can find it in Rivet City and sometimes on Raiders.

That thing? One shot in the head with manual aim and they die instantly. If one shot doesn't do it, two generally will and with the scope you can be far, far away. I find with scoped weapons that you shouldn't use VATS. It's much easier to tap into your FPS experience and manually shoot.

I spent forever to figure out how to get into Rivet City myself.

Last night, I finally figured out how to get into DC "proper" to get to the National Archives and other major sites. You have to go through a series of tunnels which the game did a poor job explaining until I was right on top of the first one I had to go through. I guess I was just...walking around the outskirts and there's no damn way in other then the tunnels.

I'm doing the mission you get in Underworld to assassinate "Ghoul haters". This led to me going to the Republic of Dave. The entire town was amusing, but I managed to PO Dave with treasonous claims to the point he attacked me, and I could finish my mission. Good times.

I just beat this game last night. The ending is amazing, but then again, I was playing as the pure "good-guy" character. I think that there's three different endings, so there's always that.

My only real complaint is that there was a stretch of "go in this subway tunnel, go out. walk three blocks down the street to another subway tunnel, etc." and it was getting pretty tedious.

My best ranged weapon was the .308 reservist's rifle. For close up, the power fist was definitely awesome. I never had enough points to put into the big guns skill, but I'm sure the mini-nuke launcher was great.

Two words for ya:

LIBERTY PRIME

I think that there's three different endings, so there's always that.

Try 200.

Except..not. There are only six, with minor variants. IIRC, it's Good Karma, Neutral, Negative, and each of those three has another ending that depends on the choice you make at the end of the game.

You do get flashes of some things that you did for sidequests, but it's not like Fallout 1/2 where they got fully narrated end scenes for the locations.

I finished Fallout 3, and what was kind of a "meh" feeling has turned into bitter disgust the more I've played around with it and thought about it.

I had Fawkes with me. When you meet him, he says that he is either immune or highly, highly resistant to rad poisoning.

So in the final mission, you have to run into the chamber full of radiation poisoning, trigger the thing, and then die.

Yet I had Fawkes and he just *WATCHES*. When I asked him to do it, he talks about "not robbing me of my destiny", basically the developers saying "You have to die".

Horseshit. Even if he's not fully immune, by sheer logic he has a far, far better chance to survive then the main character ever would have. Yet he doesn't do anything to help.

And I've read that all the NPC's do this. How the *fuck* does Charon say no? You *OWN HIM*.

On some level, atleast they realized people would think that way (I kept waiting for Fawkes to volunteer...), but it's still a shoddy ass way to handle it.

I restarted Fallout because my PS3 stopped reading games a week after I bought so I had to return it for a new one. Anyway, the first time I played this game, I found a place near the Vault or maybe Megaton, that was full of those naked zombies. It was kind of like a factory. This was a great place to get caps but I can't seem to find it with my new save. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ok, so I pretty much love this game. The ending, as previously mentioned, is kind of retarded(the good person one, at least), but the last quest leading up to it was pretty awesome.

So does anyone actually use energy weapons? With the possible exception of the laser gatling gun, which you can only get near the end of the game anyway, they seem like kind of a waste of time to me.

My character had shitty big guns skill, so I never even used the laser gatling gun. No, I just maxed out small guns to 100, and used nothing but headshots with the Reservist's Rifle (.308). I had sneak maxed out too, so I'd usually get sneak attack critical hits whenever I could. For melee, I'd use a power fist.

Also, if you've got the caps to spare, making a bunch of bottlecap mines is definitely fun. It's like a homemade claymore, and it usually fucks up just about everything.

Ok, so I pretty much love this game. The ending, as previously mentioned, is kind of retarded(the good person one, at least), but the last quest leading up to it was pretty awesome.

So does anyone actually use energy weapons? With the possible exception of the laser gatling gun, which you can only get near the end of the game anyway, they seem like kind of a waste of time to me.

I tagged small guns and have largely used them throughout, but also put a lot more points in energy weapons as the game's progressed. The unique plasma rifle you can get from

completing the Replicated Man quest by warning the android

is extremely powerful and can be acquired pretty early in the game. I'm quite fond of how energy weapons dissolve bodies.

I tagged small guns and have largely used them throughout, but also put a lot more points in energy weapons as the game's progressed. The unique plasma rifle you can get from

completing the Replicated Man quest by warning the android

is extremely powerful and can be acquired pretty early in the game. I'm quite fond of how energy weapons dissolve bodies.

Yeah I went on a run last night where I went through some Metro tunnels with the Protectron's gaze and just went on a spree of atomizing bodies. Seemed like everything in VATS resulted in a critical shot and a pile of ash. It was fun.

Really though the energy weapons are for the most part seriously underpowered. I'm thinking about dumping most of them and just going with my unique physical weapons (Eugene the minigun, the Ultra 10mm, Ol' Painless .308 and The Terrible Shotgun) with my Fatman and Missle Launcher for emergencies. Plus I've gotta get my Science skill up to 100 so I can get the special Power Armor out of the lockdown in the Fort (I can't remember it's name now), the one you get the keys for if you do the "Gotta Shoot 'em in the Head" quest then turn around and blow away the ghoul who gave you the quest (luckily he doesn't negative karma you). I've either got to dump almost everything into it when I level up to 20 or I need to start skill book hunting. That level cap sucks.

Man, looking for the GNR building was a pain in the ass but well worth it once that huge fight started with the Behemoth. I blew the assholes legs off with a grenade. I'm just heading out of the Technology Museum to go to the Washington monument. Really glad I got this game.

I'm having a hard time getting around DC. I went to the GRN building ok, but finding the Museum and the washington monument has been difficult.

The poor navigation through the metro relative to the world map is the biggest flaw in the game. The best method for getting around in the city area is to just trust your map marker for the quest; even if the direction you're going underground seems contrary to the cardinal direction you should be taking, the map marker will eventually take you the route you need to go. The system is designed to guide you to the next location you need, then through that location to the next location, etc. It's pretty non-intuitive, but passable once you get the hang of it.

The poor navigation through the metro relative to the world map is the biggest flaw in the game. The best method for getting around in the city area is to just trust your map marker for the quest; even if the direction you're going underground seems contrary to the cardinal direction you should be taking, the map marker will eventually take you the route you need to go. The system is designed to guide you to the next location you need, then through that location to the next location, etc. It's pretty non-intuitive, but passable once you get the hang of it.

Yea, navigating from one area to another is a bitch in the beginning. Luckily, when you do discovering something you can just teleport back and forth at your leisure which is a godsend.

I think the amount of time between me getting the quest, and me actually getting to the Washington monument/Museum was about 10 hours. Because eventually I said screw it and started exploring. I hate the Metro tunnel, because you can't just port back to town when you're hurt.

Plus, it's scary. :ph34r:

Started a new game, and I'm almost level 8 now, with Neutral karma. I'm making a character who's basically an unarmed badass.

The Deathclaw Gauntlet is really the best unarmed weapon in the game. The Fisto! does more damage (DG 26/F! 31), but the DG ignores the enemy's Damage Resistance.

Perk-wise, I've taken Intense Training a couple of times to increase Strength and Endurance, Iron Fist x3 (+5 unarmed damage/level), and Bloody Mess. It all winds up turning him into the Fist of the North Star. Heads explode, everywhere.

Going Neutral is also interesting, because I was able to pick up a new companion, Sergeant RL-3, a customized Mr. Gutsy combat robot. He's got plasma and flamer weapons built-in, a great patriotic/kill-happy set of dialogue, and the best carrying capacity in the entire game.

How's going unarmed working out? I usually get bored by unarmed/melee in Fallout games because there's so little variation early, and the guns are so very satisfying.

Question: has anyone else had the fortune to get both Charon and another companion? I currently have both Charon and Paladin Cross with me, which I didn't think was possible until she asked to come along. It seems that Charon is like Dogmeat, in that he doesn't count against your one-companion-only limit. Either that, or I've hit a fortunate glitch.

I think I read that if you get Dogmeat and he dies, you can then use his spot for another companion. If you didn't do that, then yeah, probably a bug.

How's going unarmed working out? I usually get bored by unarmed/melee in Fallout games because there's so little variation early, and the guns are so very satisfying.

Unstoppable. Having somebody like RL-3 with such a long range of fire means they're shooting at him, which allows me to get into range easily. I also have a hockey mask that grants +25 AP, so I can get four attacks off with the DG, which is more than enough to kill anything, and I haven't even taken Action Boy yet.

I do use Small Guns as well, for targets that don't melee/unarmed well, like Deathclaws or Fire Ants.

Just beat it. I started again but I intend to be a total asshole instead of a Jesus-like character like my last character. The ending was really dissapointing.

Agreed. I'm probably going to go through it as a total asshole as well. Go ahead and blow up Megaton, etc. etc. Trying to figure out what type of character I want though. I guess I can go ahead and bomb out charisma in favor of strength, agility, and intelligence (for the skill points). Don't know what I want weapon-wise though. Unarmed/melee maybe, with big guns for Deathclaws and the like?

DLC News!

~*~

Three downloadable content packs will be coming to Xbox 360 and Games for Windows Live starting in January that will add new quests, items, and content to Fallout 3.

Operation: Anchorage: Enter a military simulation and fight in one of the greatest battles of the Fallout universe – the liberation of Anchorage, Alaska from its Chinese Communist invaders. An action-packed battle scheduled for release in January.

The Pitt: Journey to the industrial raider town called The Pitt, located in the remains of Pittsburgh. Choose your side. Scheduled for release in February.

Broken Steel: Join the ranks of the Brotherhood of Steel and rid the Capital Wasteland of the Enclave remnants once and for all. Continues the adventure past the main quest. Scheduled for release in March.

Official Forum thread link

Just beat it. I started again but I intend to be a total asshole instead of a Jesus-like character like my last character. The ending was really dissapointing.

Agreed. I'm probably going to go through it as a total asshole as well. Go ahead and blow up Megaton, etc. etc. Trying to figure out what type of character I want though. I guess I can go ahead and bomb out charisma in favor of strength, agility, and intelligence (for the skill points). Don't know what I want weapon-wise though. Unarmed/melee maybe, with big guns for Deathclaws and the like?

Blowing up Megaton is pretty fun. I pickpocketed the sheriff and stocked up on the weapons in the armory. Then, I gave Jericho 1000 caps to team up with me. We killed everybody in Megaton and stole pretty much everything there was to steal before blowing it up. He's good to have because of his assault rifle. Watching the explosion was awesome.