TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkius Maximus

Fallout 3

How the hell do I get to GRN building? I keep going through the metro and sewers and can't make my way there. I ended up in Georgetown.

Aside from just following the arrow?

Before you enter the metros, look around. There are signs telling you which lines go where. You'll find one that heads toward GNR, and you know you're going the right direction when you see the Brotherhood of Steel logo, and "Mall Outpost ->" arrows painted on the walls.

Looking at my map, the one you want to find is Farragut Station West.

I just raided the National Guard Armory and it said I completed "Follow in his footsteps" quest despite there being no relation.

You can complete Follow in his Footsteps early by doing a number of things (And you don't get achievement credit unless you do it the "right" way).

I'm finally back into playing Fallout 3...I've tried off and on with various games since I finished my one, but I couldn't do it.

My character is a level 11 evil as fuck Energy Gun user...I've got the A...number...Plasma Rifle which does batshit damage. I also used the companion glitch to get Charon and Clover, along with Dogmeat. So I'm leading an army.

If you want a difficult game, I do not recommend you do that. Having two incredibly buffed out companions and Dogmeat is like leading Raiders and shit to the slaughter. You can't control them well either. However, unlike with one companion, when they run off to kill shit by themselves, the two cover each other. So instead of it being one person (Or a dog) being swarmed when they ran into a room, it's all three essentially sweeping and clearing as they go. Add in my one-shotting Super Mutants, and you have a deadly group.

One thing I really like, is because I'm so evil I'm seeing things I didn't first go around...A great example is Paradise Falls. Instead of having to earn entry, I basically said, "Bitch do you know who I am?" and they let me in. And now they pay tribute to me every time I visit to appease me and keep me from blowing them the fuck up.

Great stuff.

I'm finally back into playing Fallout 3...I've tried off and on with various games since I finished my one, but I couldn't do it.

My character is a level 11 evil as fuck Energy Gun user...I've got the A...number...Plasma Rifle which does batshit damage. I also used the companion glitch to get Charon and Clover, along with Dogmeat. So I'm leading an army.

If you want a difficult game, I do not recommend you do that. Having two incredibly buffed out companions and Dogmeat is like leading Raiders and shit to the slaughter. You can't control them well either. However, unlike with one companion, when they run off to kill shit by themselves, the two cover each other. So instead of it being one person (Or a dog) being swarmed when they ran into a room, it's all three essentially sweeping and clearing as they go. Add in my one-shotting Super Mutants, and you have a deadly group.

One thing I really like, is because I'm so evil I'm seeing things I didn't first go around...A great example is Paradise Falls. Instead of having to earn entry, I basically said, "Bitch do you know who I am?" and they let me in. And now they pay tribute to me every time I visit to appease me and keep me from blowing them the fuck up.

Great stuff.

Damn that sounds so awesome. I am playing as a good guy this time around. My second game I'll be the ultimate heel.

I turned myself Neutral and grabbed Sargent RL-4...I think I'm pushing the glitch a WEEE BIT too far. I then started eliminating Arefu for no reason, but the game crashed. So...you may not wanna do four companions. I will continue to test.

I'm having some difficulty moving around...But in theory, outside of a Behemoth, there shouldn't a goddamn thing in the game that can possibly kill my army. Charon, power armor & his shotgun + Clover with power armor & a Laser Rifle + Sargent RL-4 with his laser weapon and FLAMETHROWER = DEATH.

FYI: Charon joins at any karma. Clover, you have to be evil but will stay at any karma, and Sargent RL-4, you have to be neutral, but I read will stay at any karma. The key to the last two, is don't kick them out or else you have to get the karma. Dogmeat joins at any karma.

I was trying to start a tank character (no charisma or perception, medium luck, high STR AGI and INT) but when I sat to take the GOAT it got bugged and I couldn't move or take the test. So I got to start a new one and now no matter whichever direction I try to turn all I do is turn right at high speed. Any ideas? I'm assuming it's a bug, but the fact that it's happening even after a save and a new game start worries me.

What's the companion glitch? I think I accidentally hit some glitch of that ilk, because I got Charon and Paladin Cross at the same time. Corrected itself after

the escape from Raven Rock, when I could only take one again

, but for a while I had Charon, Cross, and Dogmeat. I got Cross and Charon before I encountered Dogmeat, so I wonder if that had something to do with it?

This game is super-fun. I think next time through I'm going grenades and fisticuffs.

The Companion glitch is where you've got the one companion...You want another. You fire the current companion, and immediately hire the other. Then before the NPC tries to speak to you (You buy Clover from Eulogy or Sargent RL-4 from Tinker Joe), you speak to the old companion and they will join you. You have to be quick though. Because if the new NPC speaks to you, it'll close the glitch. After that it's gravy.

Dogmeat works outside of the cap though...but if Dogmeat dies, you get a free companion slot due to the companion slot not closing.

You can find more info on the Fallout 3 wiki.

I've completely broken Fallout 3 with all these companions. On one hand, it's very fun, but on the other hand it's not a challenge anymore. I may up the difficulty to the highest and see what happens.

Yao Guai can't even get close to me. Clover, Charon, Sargent RL-4, Dogmeat and I just rape them with attacks.

On my own with the Plasma Rifle I got, I can kill Raiders in one shot, so it's like a walking army of death at this point.

If there's one weakness to the army, is that in tight corridors they can get stuck...but at some point they'll free themselves. Or simply loading a new location does it. I did "THOSE!" and it was a piece of cake. WIth my build, I probably coulda done it pretty easily, but with all these companions the Fire Ants were nothing. It was amazing how easily I could do it.

Out of all the NPC's I've had, Sargent RL-4 is by far the funniest. His quotes are fucking hilarious.

Some include:

"Kill them all! Let God sort it out!"

and "Take that, you damn commie!"

and of course, "It's a good day to be in this man's army!"

He'll occasionally yell out "HOORAH~!" too.

Charon's somber and tactical. Clover's psychotic and protective (She always seems to stay closer to me then any other NPC...I think they might have programed her that way), Dogmeat's completely devoted and always eager to fight...Sargent RL-4 seems to be really, really enjoying himself.

I'm trying to skim/overlook most of the info above so as not to really be spoiled by anything, but I have to say the possibilities in this game seem to be amazing...as I'm 25+ hours in, on my gamesave at least, and I have met none of these characters mentioned.

The Companion glitch is where you've got the one companion...You want another. You fire the current companion, and immediately hire the other. Then before the NPC tries to speak to you (You buy Clover from Eulogy or Sargent RL-4 from Tinker Joe), you speak to the old companion and they will join you. You have to be quick though. Because if the new NPC speaks to you, it'll close the glitch. After that it's gravy.

Dogmeat works outside of the cap though...but if Dogmeat dies, you get a free companion slot due to the companion slot not closing.

You can find more info on the Fallout 3 wiki.

Very strange. I had Charon, then picked up Paladin Cross. I had never encountered Dogmeat to this point, and still was able to get him when I finally found where he was. Must be just some random occurrence, unless it's something having to do with not grabbing Dogmeat at all.

Charon in general seems to be glitched.

I've read that you can have him with Star Cross, and Fawkes. So, even without glitching if you're good you could have an NPC army.

NPC's would be much better if they used some kind of tactics. I had some of them die on me last night. I ended up in Old Olney, and the Deathclaws were too much for them. Clover for some odd reason began just running into enemies with her sword. Not good with Deathclaws. They don't seem to have any real strategy for battle beyond "shoot them". And since they don't level, high level enemies can fuck them up pretty quick.

So I eventually just got the hell out of there after I reloaded.

Just get Fawkes. He's an unstoppable killing machine.

She doesn't work too well when you're the devil incarnate. Or as the game calls me right now, "Harbringer of War".

Plus, I don't think Fawkes is too viable a companion. You have to go deep into the main story to get her. Once you get her, she'll murder everything, but it's the whole "getting there" first thing.

Deathclaws in FO3 are fairly mild compared to the first two. That aside, they're practically tanks with legs in all three.

Since it's laying around everywhere, have you tried giving your human companions power armor? It may help a bit.

I have. Outcast Power Armor, the worst of the three...but I can't afford to piss off the Brotherhood, and my game hasn't spawned the Enclave yet.

If they were in regular armor, they'd have died many times over.

Deathclaws in FO3 are fairly mild compared to the first two. That aside, they're practically tanks with legs in all three.

Since it's laying around everywhere, have you tried giving your human companions power armor? It may help a bit.

Wierd, I never had too much trouble with the Deathclaws in 3. Of course, by the time I actually ran into one I was basically a tank and so was my companion (Star Paladin). It was pretty easy at that point.

Well, I fixed the control glitch (had to clear the cache for some reason) so now I can get on with my "kill everything that moves character". I'm trying to get evil enough to get Jericho early, but man it's ahrd. I made the mistake of trying to take on the town of Megaton and Jericho actually helped kill me! I guess you need to recruit him beforehand. It's going to be a pain doing it before I blow the town up though. I need to go to Dave and clear it out, that'll make me pretty evil.

Getting Jericho early:

If you nuke Megaton, Jericho's still there when you get back to what's left of the town. More than enough bad karma for doing that.

Deathclaws are the toughest individual opponent in the game, but a shot from the Dart Gun makes them pretty feeble. With both legs crippled, they can't do their big leaping attack, and you can just pick them apart from a distance, or run in and use the flamer till they go down. You can even take on 2 or 3 at once if you've got the Dart Gun, but I'd still pop some Med-X for the occasion.

...I went back to Megaton and didn't see Jericho...

I'm over the NPC army thing. It's becoming more trouble then it's worth. For one, the pathfinding for NPC's SUCKS. I'll be crossing the wastes, and not doing anything outrageous like leaping off cliffs or even going up on rocks, and I'll suddenly notice that the NPC's aren't behind me. For whatever reason, they split up. So I either have to go looking for them, or wait a staggering amount of time for them to filter to me.

Dogmeat died due to him deciding to solo a Yau Goai while I wasn't looking. I didn't reload...because quite frankly, Dogmeat's pretty much useless. The IDEA is good, but Dogmeat is way too weak to be so aggressive. There's no real reason to have him, honestly.

Then I lost the other NPC's when I went to Evergreen Mills (Or whatever it's name is). We cleared out the raiders easily, and I thought, "Hey, I'll kill this Behemoth in the cage! Easy XP!"...and then Clover went and opened the fucking cage. USING HER SWORD. Why? I DON'T KNOW. She steals all the ammo and weapons I get and she's set to ranged. Yet she INSISTS on using her sword. The Behemoth basically squashed her into paste. Then he charged Sargent RL-4 (Despite me doing assloads of damage. This is annoying) and RL put up a good fight, but was taken out. The Behemoth then went after Charon, but Charon showed some actual AI as he basically began to run away while firing at it while I finished it off.

If Bethesda would patch in even one of the following three things, they'd be halfway useful at higher game.

1) A leveling system. NPC's are locked when you get them. They should level. Say...every two levels. That'd mean if you got Jericho at Level 1, by Level 20, he'd have gained ten levels. At that point, he'd be as strong as the PC (Or Fawkes) and actually be able to hold his own. The relative placement in the game would prohibit power leveling. By the time you get to Underworld, or the Brotherhood of Steel, or Raven Rock, you'd be somewhat far in level keeping the NPC's around where they should be by end of game.

2) Better AI. The use of actual tactics would be wonderful. Nothing extreme, but what Charon did basically. Knowing he was against a Behemoth, he actually used some intelligence and ran away while shooting. Clover & Sargent? Not so much. This would also go with pathfinding, because jesus god that's annoying.

3) Better use of Stimpacks. This one quite frankly annoys me. I give the NPC's quite a few stimpacks. And despite them taking a massive shot and not going down, THEY WILL NOT HEAL. What's the point of the system? After a battle, they auto go up to full. So if you can give them stimpacks, why the fuck won't they use them?

Another one would be to SIGNIFICANTLY nerf the aggro that comes off the NPC. No matter what kind of damage you do to the enemy, they will almost always target the NPC's. Basically turning the game into a freaking rush to save them because against Deathclaws, you *Know* that they don't have a shot.

I ended up reloading my game...but if it happens again, I'm just leaving them. The only reason I didn't, is because I realized that on his own, Charon would end up dead sooner or later. Due to the pisspoor AI, he'd go try to solo a Deathclaw or something and get eviserated without the other NPC's to save him. And I didn't wanna fire him.

Dealing with NPCs in Fallout has always been like herding cats. At least Beth's NPCs don't manage to shoot you in the back on a regular basis.

There's really a reason they only want you having one NPC + Dogmeat.

FO2 had a fairly extensive NPC AI interface, where you could set their prefered weapon type, range, burst preferences, stimpack usage, drug usage, health setting to run away at, and the like. 3's isn't nearly as good.

Factor in the nerfing of Power Armor (FO1/2: +3 STR for the BoS armor, +4 STR for Enclave, and amazing damage resistance), and the NPCs aside from Fawkes don't generally survive at the higher levels.

You might as well not even bother with NPC's. One + Dogmeat doesn't work. They'll run off and get killed easily, even by level 12 or so.

It's sad that they put them in, and they didn't fully get them to work like they should.