TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkius Maximus

Fallout 3

Once I had Charon in power armor (which was pretty quickly, since you find a few suits fairly early), I actually never much of a problem with him staying alive. He died once in the deathclaw sanctuary, where he for some reason decided to get extra-close to a deathclaw, even though I'd already crippled its legs. This was on normal, though.

I beat the game the other day. Ending's not bad, but a little disappointing because it comes slightly out of nowhere. I could definitely understand someone getting there and saying "wait, what? The game's over?" I was most disappointed by not getting the play-by-play slideshow of how each town turned out, as in the first Fallout games. You get a screenshot or two depending on the quests you've done, but it isn't quite the same.

Game ends.

To be changed in a patch down the road, as announced with the detailing of the DLC yesterday.

But that is for the 360, I have the PS3 version. Do you know what the last mission is going to be before you do it? I want to be able to do all of the side missions and explore all of the game before it just ends.

One of my problem with the games is the perks. Some of them are just completely useless. Since there is a level cap, why waste a perk to increase your level by one? Why waste a perk on lead belly so you get less radiation from drinking water? Explorer is another waste of a perk because you can just go online and find a full detailed map of the game. Computer whiz is another waste of a perk. You get to rehack a computer if you already were locked out of it? Wow. I learned on my first computer that you could just back out and start over again with 4 chances without hearing about it online.

You do not know what the last mission is going to be, though you're probably getting the feeling that you're on the homestretch. When the story forces you to go to the Citadel for the second time, you're about to touch the last story quest, which is quite brief. The last two quests are called

The American Dream, and Take it Back.

I really don't have a problem with the perks, though some are obviously more useful than others. The get-a-level perk is good for people who just want to play through the main quest quickly. Lead belly is okay early if you're thin on cash or don't like carrying around a bunch of food, but its value decreases rapidly later in the game when you ought to be quite flush with money. I agree that the Lockpick/Science retry perks are pretty much a waste. And Explorer is a great perk if you want to find everything. I don't think "I can look at a map on the internet, which someone got by using the Explorer perk in their game" really invalidates it.

I do wish that Chem Resistant and Chemist could be accessed earlier--say, level 6 or 8 instead of 14 and 16. Chems are most useful early in the game, and I think it'd be fun to play a character who used drugs more or less constantly. By the time you're at level 16, you really don't need chems that much.

You do not know what the last mission is going to be, though you're probably getting the feeling that you're on the homestretch. When the story forces you to go to the Citadel for the second time, you're about to touch the last story quest, which is quite brief. The last two quests are called

The American Dream, and Take it Back.

I really don't have a problem with the perks, though some are obviously more useful than others. The get-a-level perk is good for people who just want to play through the main quest quickly. Lead belly is okay early if you're thin on cash or don't like carrying around a bunch of food, but its value decreases rapidly later in the game when you ought to be quite flush with money. I agree that the Lockpick/Science retry perks are pretty much a waste. And Explorer is a great perk if you want to find everything. I don't think "I can look at a map on the internet, which someone got by using the Explorer perk in their game" really invalidates it.

I do wish that Chem Resistant and Chemist could be accessed earlier--say, level 6 or 8 instead of 14 and 16. Chems are most useful early in the game, and I think it'd be fun to play a character who used drugs more or less constantly. By the time you're at level 16, you really don't need chems that much.

I also heard that the contract killing for good and bad is a waste because you only get 10 caps per kill. The mister sandman one seems like a waste because I never ever catch anyone sleeping. I think the ammo and the caps perks are middle of the road because I have an abundance of both without having either perk. Cannibal seems like another waste as well as the extra 30 health points one. They need to rework it in the future games because some of them are such wastes and it really doesn't make it too big of a choice on what to choose.

I think it's just fun. If you want to min/max, sure, go ahead, but it's also fun to play as a cannibal or slap on the Regulator duster and go hunting criminals. If you want to creep around murdering people in their sleep, more power to you--just wait till night. That perk also gives you bonus XP for every sleeping kill, just like passing a speech check or unlocking a box does. Some of the perks have obvious benefits to every character, but others are novelties. They extend the life of the game a fair bit, I think.

I think it's just fun. If you want to min/max, sure, go ahead, but it's also fun to play as a cannibal or slap on the Regulator duster and go hunting criminals. If you want to creep around murdering people in their sleep, more power to you--just wait till night. That perk also gives you bonus XP for every sleeping kill, just like passing a speech check or unlocking a box does. Some of the perks have obvious benefits to every character, but others are novelties. They extend the life of the game a fair bit, I think.

Yeah but bonus xp isn't that big of an issue because there is a level cap at 20. I am 1/4 of the way through the game and I am already at level 11. Child at heart seems like another waste of a perk.

Fallout has never been about mix/maxing. In Fallout 2, all you really needed was small guns. Get enough agility, perception, maybe a few ranks in Action Boy, and with a small gun like a Magnum you could lay waste to everything. If you chose to play that way, virtually everything could be settled with some bullets.

Same with this game. Get some Perception, some Agility, small guns, and by the time you hit 100% in Small guns there isn't much that'll stand in your way. God forbid you have a sniper and some FPS experience.

If anything, this game is harder by forcing you to focus on other skills. Repair? Needed because you'll have to keep your shit in high condition. Medicine? Surprisingly needed due to the low amounts of stimpacks, and their cost. Never needed the skill in Fallout 2. Lockpicking? Sure you could do it in Fallout 2 but it wasn't needed. In this game? God yes. Science? Outside of Skynet I can't think of a real good use for science in 2. In 3 it's practically needed. If you never touch a terminal, then you miss out of alot of things, and much of the background to the game.

So right there, the game forces you to be more developed then before.

As for the perks...Every perk has their bonuses. And it isn't about being the best character evah. It's about playing a character. I'm playing an evil as sin character, but I didn't take the cannibal perk. Why? Because he aint down with it. However, I DID take the contract killer perk, because he's perfectly fine with murder. Just not so down with the whole eating people thing.

And he feels a weee bit of remorse over Megaton...not much...but some.

Once I had Charon in power armor (which was pretty quickly, since you find a few suits fairly early), I actually never much of a problem with him staying alive. He died once in the deathclaw sanctuary, where he for some reason decided to get extra-close to a deathclaw, even though I'd already crippled its legs. This was on normal, though.

What power armor? I've got Charon and Clover decked out in Outcast Power Armor, about...75% repaired and they still die A LOT. Well, Clover anyway. Charon's pretty smart.

I had Charon in a set of fully repaired Enclave armor most of the time. 40 DR armor, 9 DR helmet. I think it has the same stats as the Outcast armor, but the condition was probably a big help. I had repair more or less maxed by the mid-teen levels, so most of my equipment was in perfect condition or close to it. The T51B worked well for NPCs too, obviously.

Anyone still playing? I ran into a crazy little town called Andale a little while ago and it was nuts.

The only DLC that interests me is the last one that raises the XP level and continues the main quest. The other two I doubt will be worth it.

Anyone still playing? I ran into a crazy little town called Andale a little while ago and it was nuts.

The only DLC that interests me is the last one that raises the XP level and continues the main quest. The other two I doubt will be worth it.

Andale was awesome. I had no idea what was going on at first. Then of course, I looked too closely. What I didn't expect, was when I went back outside, and looked at all of them... looking at me. That was fun.

just got the game today for £5 due to finally finding my game card which had £15 on it. Im currently in Megaton, and really dont want to use a FAQ to get about, so the exploration aspect is really good. Sadly i got this on Ps3 and it seems the DLC might not be coming to the sony version :(

just got the game today for £5 due to finally finding my game card which had £15 on it. Im currently in Megaton, and really dont want to use a FAQ to get about, so the exploration aspect is really good. Sadly i got this on Ps3 and it seems the DLC might not be coming to the sony version :(

The PS3 version is still getting patches with bug fixes, at least.

Have no fear, Byron. You can do fine in the game with pretty much any character, as long as you don't gimp your intelligence stats (since they give you more skill points at each level). And there aren't any soft-skinned 15-year-old heroes either, so that should be a nice change of pace.

What the hell...I got this game for Christmas, and it's a lot of fun. Just some of the weird stuff leaves me shaking my head. I got through all the subway tunnels, kill the giant ant guardians, finally find the dead guy's lock box (which I had gotten the key for), and end up with "naughty nightwear." Then some raider guy wants it back, so I kill him. What kind of reward is that? At least the professor gave me the ant shot.

Now I have to find that stupid kid. Also, my long range aim seems to suck. Guess I have to beef up my big gun stats.

Also, did anyone else kill the Overseer right away? I'm assuming I probably made a mistake there, but when I saw him threatening his daughter, I figured I had to waste him.

1. The Naughty Nightwear can be given to another character later in the game for some caps. It's just a goofy sidequest thing, mostly, though the +10 to speech is nice. I personally like wearing it around at higher levels and wasting raiders while I'm in my undies. It looks exceptionally funny when you use, say, a flamethrower in VATS.

2. Is it that your long range aim is bad with missile launchers or the minigun? Those are probably the only "big guns" you have at the moment; all the two-handed rifles in the game (Hunting, Sniper, any unique variants) are considered small guns.

3. As far as I can tell, killing the Overseer during your escape changes some things about a sidequest you can get later in the game. It doesn't keep you from doing the quest completely, though.

OK, I haven't even used the rocket launcher yet. I was talking more when using the hunting rifle I got off the guy who wanted the nightwear. I was attacked by a raider after crossing the bridge north of town, and couldn't hit him for anything. I even had that lady who was selling weapons fix the rifle (since it was in somewhat bad shape). My guy has an "OK" small arms proficiency(I think around 35 or 40), but I'm only at level 3 right now, so he obviously has room to improve.

What was funny though was that I hit the raider a few times with my 10 mm, after failing with the hunting rifle, and I inadvertently blew something up behind him. He ended up fleeing and cowering, and I finally wasted him with my sledge hammer. It was pretty brutal, but intense.

One other thing...I left the ant queen alive, since the professor asked me to. Should I have killed her off and gotten some kind of bonus?

The other problem I'm having is that I'm very low on caps...I've done some trading, but I really don't have that many valuables at this point in the game. Do I just need to start doing some more missions, or do you have to resort to stealing to get any kind of decent cache going? Obviously killing raiders and scavenging doesn't seem to get you more than a dozen or so caps at a time.

I can't believe you got through the fire ant mission at that low level. Pretty sweet. You'll pick up more caps quickly as you start to go through the story missions and pick up a bunch of loot, and if you have decent speech skills you can talk some people into giving you more money than the default for the quest (for example, either Mr. Burke or the Sheriff in Megaton will give you 500 caps instead of 100 to do the bomb-related quest, if you pass the speech check). Otherwise, loot and sell everything you find that you don't need.

One thing is go to the water treatment plant in Megaton during the day and speak to the guy in there. First he'll ask you to fix the leaks in pipes around town and if you do that, he'll ask you to bring him some Scrap Metal so he can keep things operating and will pay you something like 20 or 30 caps per piece you bring.

Other than that yeah, you'll want to find side missions or the occasional trade caravan to slaughter if you don't care about karma.

Max out Repair. As soon as you do that, or get it to a high enough level, you'll never really have to worry about caps again. Every raider, slaver, or whatever you encounter will just feed your stock of traveling fully repaired money lootz.

Repair & Lockpicking are about the only two needed skills. Lockpicking will get you into things that you need to get, and let you access areas you wouldn't be able to otherwise. Repair, as stated, helps you make assloads of money but it's also practical. You wouldn't charge a behemoth with a two bar left Sniper, would you?

I've maxed out two character, including my evil one I was raving about pages ago. I actually put the game on very hard with that character to get a challenge. Lost most of my companions (RIP Companion army), but nothing really effected me much by the end. By the time you hit probably past 12, the game goes in the opposite direction. 1-7, you're very weak. Game can murder you many times over. 8-12, you are about even with the enemies (unless you jack the difficulty up), 13-17, now you've gotten an advantage. And by the time you hit twenty you are a walking death god upon the field.

I started a third character...Haven't gotten too far with him. He'll be a Big Guns, Explosive type. It's been pretty friggin hard so far. I can't come across big guns this early and if I *DO*, I can't use them very much. So I've been relying on mines, explosives, and the such. Worked out okay, just have to use assault rifles and whatnot to back things up. There's nothing like chucking a grenade at someone...but they keep running at you. This results in the grenade hitting them in the face, and then rolling right in front of you with long enough in VATS that you have the time to formulate "OH FUCK" before it detonates. Funniest, and at the same time, most intense thing I've had happen to me.

I can't believe you got through the fire ant mission at that low level. Pretty sweet. You'll pick up more caps quickly as you start to go through the story missions and pick up a bunch of loot, and if you have decent speech skills you can talk some people into giving you more money than the default for the quest (for example, either Mr. Burke or the Sheriff in Megaton will give you 500 caps instead of 100 to do the bomb-related quest, if you pass the speech check). Otherwise, loot and sell everything you find that you don't need.

I got kind of lucky killing the fire ant guardians...I had a decent amount of frag mines, and used those to weaken the first couple guardians before finishing them off with various guns. The third and fourth ones, I tossed a frag grenade between, and they went into frenzy mode and ended up burning each other up (!). Then the last one was easy pickings.

I did go back and finished off the queen later...it took forever though. Got the pheromones. I ended up accidentally wounding the doctor, and got sick of him, so I vaporized him. That's the worst thing my character has done so far. I'm trying to keep him mostly a good guy, though.

I don't get why killing the doctor is bad karma. The guy engineered a species of ant that slaughter an entire colony. And he shows no remorse for it, and won't take in the kid.

I've killed him every game I've played. Just out of moral reasons. Bad karma be damned.

I was saddened when I found out this game had no "low intelligence mode" like 1 and 2 did. Nothing like going to whorehouse and exclaiming loudly "I HAFTA PEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

I was saddened when I found out this game had no "low intelligence mode" like 1 and 2 did. Nothing like going to whorehouse and exclaiming loudly "I HAFTA PEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

I don't think I've ever finished a game in 'tard mode in Fo1/2 yet. There's just so much it blocks off, or screws you out of.