TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

Bound for Glory Discussion

Taylor Wilde is getting the most wildly blatant push I've ever seen. A blatant push is someone who keeps winning, there's no reason why exactly, the wrestler isn't over enough to warrant that spot, yet they keep winning. Taylor has had the Knockouts belt for quite a while now yet we still don't know what her finisher is (does she have one?). It's clear that her title run has seriously hurt the women's division.

It also doesn't help that these matches with Kong tell no real story other than "Taylor just does a lame roll up finish." There's no valid reason as to why or how Taylor Wilde could beat Awesome Kong. It literally isn't believable.

At least with McCool I do see improvement from her in terms of adding moves and submissions. It's more tolerable with her since it's not like she holds the serious women's belt, just the pointless Divas title.

I think people dig on Kong because we've not seen anything like her on national television in a womens division. She's something new and it's exciting to watch.

I think people dig on Kong because we've not seen anything like her on national television in a womens division. She's something new and it's exciting to watch.

New, yes, but exciting? To each his own.

Taylor Wilde is getting the most wildly blatant push I've ever seen. A blatant push is someone who keeps winning, there's no reason why exactly, the wrestler isn't over enough to warrant that spot, yet they keep winning. Taylor has had the Knockouts belt for quite a while now yet we still don't know what her finisher is (does she have one?). It's clear that her title run has seriously hurt the women's division.

It also doesn't help that these matches with Kong tell no real story other than "Taylor just does a lame roll up finish." There's no valid reason as to why or how Taylor Wilde could beat Awesome Kong. It literally isn't believable.

At least with McCool I do see improvement from her in terms of adding moves and submissions. It's more tolerable with her since it's not like she holds the serious women's belt, just the pointless Divas title.

You could compare Wilde's blatant push to Santino in WWE. Santino has been around for about a year and a half, and is a 2-time IC champ, yet he has no distinct finisher. He, like Wilde, seems to always win with a fluke roll-up, school boy, or blind luck with someone missing a big move. Their gimmicks are entirely different, but the blatant pushes are similar.

The main event finish wasn't bad in itself but the problem I had with it is that it's the exact same finish we've seen in virtually every TNA PPV main event over the last three years, where there's a run-in, a distraction and a foreign object gets used. In the last three years, you could count on one hand when that hasn't been the finish to a PPV main event, and that's a terrible track record for a national promotion. When the main events always finish the same, often for no real reason other than it's just how TNA seem to think that's how it's meant to be done, when the finish is the key part of an ongoing storyline, even if it makes sense, it just comes across as repetitive and overdone and the majority of people just shake their heads. Not only that, but it was the same finish for the top two matches, where you had a distraction/ref-bump, someone ran in to interfere and the loser got hit with something. While you can argue that those finishes were needed for where the storyline is going, at the very least they could have put the three-way between the Angle match and the main event so we're not getting the same finish in consecutive matches. Plus, why would Kevin Nash grab the bat from Sting in the first place, when Sting was going to use it on Joe anyway? Nash wants Joe to lose and with Sting about to deliver the coup de grace to gain victory, why do something that might conceivably spoil that? Why not wait for Sting to hit Joe and then interfere if need be?

Why wasn't the Abyss fire spot the finish? If you're going to do something insane and crazy, why have it as a transition spot?

The late sonatas of Alexander Scriabin, particularly No. 10 often have the climax of the piece come in the middle part, with an additional recapitulation, and extended coda leading into the ending. It is a bit puzzling at first, but really adds to the mysticism, and, frankly, the genius of the composer.

Nothing wrong with taking out Abyss with the fire, and continuing the match.

The late sonatas of Alexander Scriabin, particularly No. 10 often have the climax of the piece come in the middle part, with an additional recapitulation, and extended coda leading into the ending. It is a bit puzzling at first, but really adds to the mysticism, and, frankly, the genius of the composer.

Except for the part where the rest of the match is not as interesting.

I guess the reasoning for Nash hitting Joe with the bat and not Sting was that Nash was trying to make some point to Joe that he would be the one to fuck him over if he kept up his "disrespectful ways", since he wouldn't listen to guys like Sting and Nash and just would continue to beat a guy when he's beaten over and over, and that Nash was the guy who was trying to teach him not to do these things way back when. Tenay and West somewhat explained this, albeit not well, after the finish. That was actually part of the match that I liked.....that the writers paid attention to detail on this storyline, as Joe kept going overboard on the beatdown until Sting was almost knocked out (bordering on copying how WWE has done the KO finish a few times recently) and the reality was that, if he was a smart, focused, and "respectful" champion, he wouldn't have kept going with it and just would have ended the match cleanly and without going overboard. That goes back to the question of if the company is acting trying to slowly build Joe as a monster heel, as this same story keeps happening, Joe keeps doing the same thing, and now this time it finally cost him, and one would think he will snap completely now. Whatever the case, the Nash turn, that we all expected for months now, probably happened at the time it shouldn't have. It could have/should have been done last month or the month before or the month before that, and it would have probably made the story more intriguing as we got the Bound for Glory here. Joe would have "learned the hard way" about continuously showing no mercy to his opponent by Nash turning on him, and by the time his match with Sting would have occured, he would have learned, and took it to Sting convincingly, but would have beat him cleanly and fairly without a heel-like attack, mocking attitude, etc.

Ultimately, this "respect" story of Joe and Sting should have climaxed here, and it definetely did not, with the Nash turn. It seemed silly that TNA could have killed two birds with one stone here, and still have done the Nash turn, but then had Joe kick out there (which really needed to happen even IF Joe wasn't going to win, as Nash's bat smack was weakly done, and then a simple death drop after ALL of that dominance Joe did? Again, it smells like Joe is going heel) and then from there, overcome the odds and make Sting still tap out clean. So he would have learned his lesson, but still was able to bounce back immediately to show his dominance. They invested all of these months (which were a struggle to do so in the first place given how Joe has been booked) in Joe just to end it like that.....pretty sad because given the fact of how he was booked as champ before this match, one would have thought, almost guaranteed, the payoff would have been to Joe to finally "prove himself" and beat Sting clean and fair in the middle of the ring, followed by a respect handshake by both guys, and even Sting raising Joe's hand in victory as a way to put him over as the guy who is TNA's cornerstone. It seemed so simple and effective, that of course the company had to go the complete opposite direction which harkens back to past things of this nature before.

So we still might see Joe finally "getting it" and overcoming the odds, and coming to perhaps some understanding of respect with Sting, but I don't think Joe will be the guy to beat Sting for the belt. Chances are, instead, they are going to try to stick to this no rematch clause, to further infuriate Joe into snapping and going full heel and basically not being chum-chum with anyone on the roster, borderline Steve Austin type of role. I'm really thinking, as far as the title situation goes, this is leading now long term to Styles v. Sting, and Styles finally getting the belt again. And then it will slowly lead to Styles v. Joe, and by this time Joe will have gone full heel, based off this storyline. Then again trying to predict the logical means to things right now is probably a bad idea.

Overall, the ppv last night was not bad though, but definately was dissapointing because of the ending of the show, as well as a few duller spots than I imagined in the undercard. The workrate was strong in the matches that you expected, like Terrordome, Monster's Ball, Angle/Jarrett, and Joe/Sting. But the X division and Knockouts title matches were really not that good, and should have been better. I did enjoy the larger than normal crowd though, and that they were one of the hotter crowds I've seen in TNA history, that means alot to the overall enjoyment of the show, too. So the show felt like a big deal, had a bit of a Mania-like vibe in terms of TNA at least, but that finish to end the show really put it on a real sour note all around.

I'm watching the main event again right now...why is it that Jeremy Borash needs to be the ring announcer for every main event of a PPV? Thats a huge killer for the big match environment they were trying to create.

I'm watching the main event again right now...why is it that Jeremy Borash needs to be the ring announcer for every main event of a PPV? Thats a huge killer for the big match environment they were trying to create.

Dave Penzer as the normal ring announcer is even worse if you ask me. If Borash is just the guy to announce the main events, I can handle that, at least they take Penzer out for those.

Like I've said before, they need to throw Don West as ring announcer, I think. Even if he has to do double duty as ring announcer and still as color man, I think that's alright.

I have no idea who the guy was, but whoever did the intros for Abyss/Mesias barbed wire massacre match (which was taped in Orlando while the rest of the ppv was in Memphis or wherever) was awesome, surprised they haven't used him more.

You could compare Wilde's blatant push to Santino in WWE. Santino has been around for about a year and a half, and is a 2-time IC champ, yet he has no distinct finisher. He, like Wilde, seems to always win with a fluke roll-up, school boy, or blind luck with someone missing a big move. Their gimmicks are entirely different, but the blatant pushes are similar.

Santino is actually treated like a joke though, Taylor isn't. We're actually supposed to like Taylor, even though she has pretty much killed a division to the point where I don't care about it, and yes, like others have said, she is getting shoved down our throats, since she has no memorable offense or finisher, yet she keeps winning.

Santino is actually treated like a joke though, Taylor isn't. We're actually supposed to like Taylor, even though she has pretty much killed a division to the point where I don't care about it, and yes, like others have said, she is getting shoved down our throats, since she has no memorable offense or finisher, yet she keeps winning.

Yeah, the time was right at the ppv for a title switch. Her run is overkill at this point. She gets a modest applause from the crowds, but it's simply that she's a cute chick and nothing more. She really hasn't shown me anything worthy of her holding the belt since she won it. Granted, the story that led her to the belt and the way she worked THOSE matches, I did like.

Like I said before the BFG show...If they want to give Sting a real title reign...I'm all for it. None of this "loses the title on Impact or the next ppv" crap. Joe not being able to get a title shot and get his revenge really should mean that Sting has to hold the title for a pretty good stretch...or that stip means nothing...as there would be nothing standing in Joe's way of getting the belt back.

I wish Sting wouldn't veto all of the heel ideas that come his way...they could actually make his character kinda freaking cool if he just played an arrogant fuck coming out of BFG. Joe had him pretty dead for a long stretch and kept attacking his lifeless body instead of pinning him...the fact that Sting won in the fashion he did should totally be played up by him as being "better".

I don't think it's Taylor fault if she's not getting good reactions. She was brought in from the crowd to win a major title. That's pretty much the death-knell for the character right there, the moment they win the belt. After that it's downhill. That's all in the booking. To say "oh, she sucks because we haven't seen her FINISHER~" is dumb. Maybe if she had some sort of sweet killer head-drop she'd be a good wrestler? What? I've seen Taylor work outside of TNA and I honestly believe she warrants a push in the Knockout Division. It's just the lousy booking holding her back. Everything I've seen of her in TNA, it's not like she's terrible or she's not trying, she's doing her best in the role they've given her.

I'm not saying she should be champ right now. But the idea that when it's a guy being booked terribly it's all Russo's fault, but if it's a girl she must be blowing someone backstage was dumb.

I still think the Taylor original title win was solid, or at least it had me sucked in and a fan. But since then its just been bland as anything. The only real story she's gotten since that early Kong stuff was the weird Beautiful People feud that had her beat Velvet Sky 3 times in a couple of minutes and then the beauty contest with Angelina Love. It was fine stuff for the BP but it did nothing for Taylor. And besides that she's almost been an afterthought. I mean, she barely even showed up on TV the last month while Roxxi was getting 4 weeks of Rough Cuts and had attacked Kong in the Saed getup. Which is why it seemed so obvious Taylor was going to lose the title because watching Impact the last month that match seemed like it was Kong vs Saed and Taylor was only there because she's champ. But she holds onto the belt again and still got nothing out of it except the idea that she can score opportunistic wins with her ability, which was what they established months ago.

I also kind of think she's beat Kong WAY too much. I know some people have a problem with her beating Kong at all but I'm cool with it. I thought it was good to establish someone other than Kim who could beat her and the flukey wins worked IMO. But they've fought like half a dozen times and Kong hasn't managed to score one win? I know the idea is that Taylor is the monkey on Kong's back but it just got to be too much for me. By pure luck Kong should have caught her with a devastating move and scored a win by now. The whole thing would have worked a lot better for me if Taylor wasn't undefeated and something like 7-0 against Kong. Kim only beat Kong a couple of times and it made a lot of sense. Kim was capable but Kong is still Kong. Its one thing to try and convince the audience that Taylor can beat her like Kim can, another to convince us that Kong isn't capable of beating Taylor. Its asking for backlash.

If they had given her some character, a half way decent feud post Kong, and a less dominating record against Kong I think she'd be much better off. But as it is I went from being a big fan of her win to being very disappointed she's still champ. I don't think its in any way fair to blame her for the Knockout division being in a lull. It was always going to be tough to come close to Kim/Kong, they lost Kim, they lost Knuckles when they seemed to have plans for her, and the Beautiful People have been great heels but not much in the ring. I'm not sure that Kong destroying Knockouts makes things any different as I really thought they stopped that at the right time before it got old. But Taylor as champ sure does end up being a good symbol of the division being pretty bland and forgettable.

Of course most of TNA has been pretty bland and forgettable the last few months, so its not like its really a Knockout problem. TNA could definitely use some fresh stories and could probably use a fresh influx of talent into the Women's, X, and tag divisions.

I enjoyed the show well enough but yeah, most of the endings were pretty bland or disappointing. I thought BFG was going to kick off a lot of new stuff including title changes for the X and Woman's belts but Sting as champ is the only thing that feels different out of the show. Maybe TNA intends to get things moving for the live Impact but maybe they're just going to keep coasting with the same stuff that has been pretty bland through the summer.

And Alexander Scriabin reference in the TNA folder. I think I just had a stroke.

I didn't really forget about that one...it's the first thing I think of when I think of that match. I did forget about Abyss being put threw the flaming table though. I was reading some reviews of the show...and it had actually left my mind.

A couple days after the show...the moves I remember most are the unprotected chairshots on Foley and Jarrett. I really think those were pretty affective for what they did.

And Alexander Scriabin reference in the TNA folder. I think I just had a stroke.

Heck, I'm having one seeing that someone knows who he is.