TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 7

That's an odd signing. They already have a good 1-2 punch with Portis and Betts, so unless one of them got hurt, I don't get that move.

Still not as bad as Dallas giving up a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams, though.

That's an odd signing. They already have a good 1-2 punch with Portis and Betts, so unless one of them got hurt, I don't get that move.

Betts is out for the next three weeks with an injury. Shaun will fill in for him while he's out.

Guest Smues
Just read on espn.com that the Redskins signed former MVP Shaun Alexander to a one-year contract.

A one-year contract to carry the gatorade cooler around right? Because it couldn't be as a running back.

Just read on espn.com that the Redskins signed former MVP Shaun Alexander to a one-year contract.

A one-year contract to carry the gatorade cooler around right? Because it couldn't be as a running back.

Terms were not disclosed.

It'd be hard to carry anything with that monstrous fork sticking out of his back.

Okay, who's going to write the Abbott and Costello bit about Roy Williams and Roy Williams on the same team

This occured to me, as well. They obviously can't just go with "R. Williams" for either guy, nor could they spell out the entire first name. Do we get into middle initials here or is it just assumed that people will be able to tell the difference because they won't ever be on the field at the same time? If the Cowboys were to sign Roydell Williams in the offseason, I think my head might explode.

My Skins signed Alexander to a one year deal. I have no idea what to think because I haven't seen Alexander play in awhile. It will be interesting to see if he is merely a stop-gap fill-in for Betts and once Betts is back, Alexander is just cut.

Of course if he goes out and shocks people, then it will be more interesting to see what happens, but as far as I know the Skins are perfectly happy with the Portis/Betts combo.

Okay, who's going to write the Abbott and Costello bit about Roy Williams and Roy Williams on the same team

This occured to me, as well. They obviously can't just go with "R. Williams" for either guy, nor could they spell out the entire first name. Do we get into middle initials here or is it just assumed that people will be able to tell the difference because they won't ever be on the field at the same time? If the Cowboys were to sign Roydell Williams in the offseason, I think my head might explode.

Send them both out to return kicks, just for the awesomeness of it all. Go with position initials. CB Williams and WR Williams. The possibilities are endless.

Also traded today was former Bills 1st rounder DT John McCargo, who was shipped to Indianapolis for a 4th round pick.

I thought McCargo had been doing a good job and added some depth on the d-line. It's not like the Bills are in rebuilding mood and need to stock up on draft picks. I don't get it.

I get where you are coming from Porter, but what is the line for "too rough"? If he's not getting flagged for stuff, is there some sort of Big Hit Litmus test that he's using? Excessive physicality? I'm all for keeping the players around longer and not having Hall of Fame inductions ceremonies relying heavily on the wheel chair ramp, but this mystical definition of roughness is dumb.

Oh I know that, but what I'm saying is it's not right to blame Goodell for trying to improve the quality of life for those players by making those "dumb" calls. Hines Ward, IIRC, has built a reputation as a liberty taking WR. Maybe he simply got caught on tape during a recent game taking a liberty or two that the referees wasn't seeing.

If that's the case I have no problem with it. The issue is that the fines didn't come with any additional explanation other than just general rough play the past 2 games. There was no video cited, no specific actions mentioned; nothing. Mike Tomlin has asked the league to send video of the specific actions that lead to the fines so they can at least try to avoid them in the future.

Also traded today was former Bills 1st rounder DT John McCargo, who was shipped to Indianapolis for a 4th round pick.

I thought McCargo had been doing a good job and added some depth on the d-line. It's not like the Bills are in rebuilding mood and need to stock up on draft picks. I don't get it.

He's was the 4th guy on the depth chart, who hasn't even been activated for all the games this year. The Bills HATED him. All training camp long and into the preseason the talk was that he was just lazy and dumb. Dude was a first round pick and he couldn't beat out the 5th round pick from the same draft for the starting job for the first 2 years...and then they went out and got 2 new DTs. The Bills just flat out didn't want him on the team anymore.

He's was the 4th guy on the depth chart, who hasn't even been activated for all the games this year. The Bills HATED him. All training camp long and into the preseason the talk was that he was just lazy and dumb. Dude was a first round pick and he couldn't beat out the 5th round pick from the same draft for the starting job for the first 2 years...and then they went out and got 2 new DTs. The Bills just flat out didn't want him on the team anymore.

About the only time he looked effective was the Giants game last year so it's a little surprising but not completely unexpected.

It's only surprising because he showed flashes at times last season in his spot duty of having the ability to become something. Then he, apparently, regressed to the point where they didn't even want him on the field. I think they just looked at him and decided that he wasn't worth the effort. Rumors of them trying to move him have been going on since the preseason. Marv Levy missed on that one...but his day 2 that year makes up for it.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Five Fucking Questions

1. Are the Cowboys a bunch of dumbasses trading for Roy Williams?

1a. Are the Cowboys a bunch of dumbasses for signing Pac Man Jones?

1b. Are the Cowboys completely fucked, with Romo out for a month, and a possibly rough stretch on their schedule?

2. Which team(s) will Detroit beat this year?

3. Will the 49ers finish above .500 this season?

4. Who is more disappointing: Ryan Grant or Joseph Addai? Will either man step up big this week, head to head?

5. This week, will we see the Browns that got thumped by Dallas, or the Browns that whipped the Giants?

1. a) For what they gave up, yeah. b) Absolutely. c) If they can't get their shit together, yes. This season has "2005 Eagles" written all over it.

2. Minnesota in week 14, and that's it. They're going 1-15.

3. Probably not. They're 2-4 already, and have road games with the Giants, Cardinals, Cowboys, Bills and Dolphins still to come, plus the Redskins and Jets at home. Even if they beat who they probably should beat (Rams twice and Seattle), they need three wins in the rest of their schedule, and I'm not seeing it.

4. Grant for sure. Addai at least has 4 TDs and hasn't turned the ball over, and the Colts just haven't been using him a whole lot, mostly due to the fact that they've faced a bunch of fantastic run defences this season. Grant is just really bad. I expect Addai to break out some against the Packers.

5. A lot of that will depend on whether we see the Redskins that beat the Cowboys, or the Redskins who laid a giant egg against the Rams. I expect a close game here.

Five Fucking Questions

1b. Are the Cowboys completely fucked, with Romo out for a month, and a possibly rough stretch on their schedule?

4. Who is more disappointing: Ryan Grant or Joseph Addai? Will either man step up big this week, head to head?

5. This week, will we see the Browns that got thumped by Dallas, or the Browns that whipped the Giants?

1. Considering they essentially did a Ricky Williams style trade to get him, yes. Had they gave up just a second or third round and that's it, no. But they gave up most of their draft for a big play receiver when they already have a big play receiver. It's not like receiving was one of their problems so I don't know. Maybe they hired Matt Millen and didn't tell anyone

B. No, the dumbass is Pac Man. I guess he liked TNA so much he decided the NFL wasn't for him.

C. If their quarterback options are Brad Johnson or Brooks Bollinger, probably. The Rams could end up being a additional trap for them since as bad as they are, they have shown at least flashes they have one or two future players.

2. If they don't beat Houston this week then Minnesota. Knowing the Bears luck, it'll be them.

3. No, cause Martz is still Martz. That fourth quarter should have been a healthy dose of Frank Gore, not "let's fling the ball around and help the Eagles beat us". The defense isn't that good in the secondary and just overall they are disappointing. Lot of underachieving talent on that roster.

4. Addai can blame a bad offensive line for his troubles but Grant just got a brand new contract he felt he deserved. And he's not backing it up. Rodgers needs a ground game to survive, without it he's toast.

5. Browns that whipped the Giants. I still think they can make a run into the playoffs since the NFL seems dead even this year. No one stands above ANYONE and it's a literally "Anyone can beat anyone" type season.

Five Fucking Questions

1a. In a vacuum, no. When they have much greater needs at CB than receiver, and for what they gave up? Oh yeah.

1b. I don't think so, unless they were really expecting him to finish the year. He was worth a shot considering the low-stakes of the deal.

1c. No, and I still actually think they have a great chance at winning the NFC East. I'll reserve judgment until seeing ol' man Brad play, but right now I can't see them going worse than 2-1 before Romo gets back.

2. Bears in Week 9, Colts in Week 15. SUCK IT, AGENT.

3. I'm thinking the 49ers finish right at .500, 1 or 2 games behind the Cardinals.

4. Ryan Grant by a mile. Then again, I didn't really have monster expectations for Addai going into this year. If Addai's good to play this week, I think he has a great day. Packers have getting plowed on the ground all year, admittedly by bigger backs, but enough that I'll call it a win for him. Grant just can't get anything going; he had 90 yards last week, but was under 3 yards per carry. I think that hamstring is worse than advertised, or he's spending his new contract money on heroin and chubby hookers.

5. The Browns that whipped the Giants, but the Browns that still lose to the Redskins by a smidge.

Five Fucking Questions

1. Yes, sort of, and maybe. The Pacman thing was low-risk and it's not as though the Cowboys under Jerry Jones have a sparkling image or a legacy of good character guys. I'm kind of liking Romo being out and can definitely see the Bucs going into Texas Stadium and paying the Cowboys back for that Thanksgiving Day debacle a few years ago.

2. They won't beat anyone. 0-16.

3. Nope. Seems like the Cards are a lock to win that division and go one-and-done in the playoffs.

4. Grant, I guess. Not really sure what's going on with Addai, but it's entirely possible that Grant was a flash in the pan who was wise to get his money before it was discovered that he isn't very good.

5. Hmmm. I'm still not sold on the Redskins, but I think the Giants game was more a case of New York not coming to play than it was of Cleveland being any good. Washington definitely takes this one.

1. Are the Cowboys a bunch of dumbasses trading for Roy Williams? I'm actually going to say no here. Yeah, they probably gave up too much, but their receiver depth isn't as good as you might think. I mean, do you really trust Patrick Crayton or Miles Austin to come through in a big spot? I think Roy will thrive in Dallas now that he has a real team around him. Dallas can get a corner in free agency or use their 2nd round pick to get one.

1a. Are the Cowboys a bunch of dumbasses for signing Pac Man Jones? No. Pacman was a pretty good player at a need position and they didn't have to give up much to get him. Sure, he ended up being a "distraction", but the Cowboys need to man up and play through that.

1b. Are the Cowboys completely fucked, with Romo out for a month, and a possibly rough stretch on their schedule? Nah, they'll find a way to get in the playoffs in the end. Maybe they'll start running the ball more with Brad Johnson at the helm.

2. Which team(s) will Detroit beat this year? I'll also say Minnesota and I'll throw in Tampa as well for a 2-14 season. I almost want to say that they'll beat Tennessee (due to my "suspect offense" theory) on Thanksgiving but their O-line will get eaten alive by Haynesworth and others.

3. Will the 49ers finish above .500 this season? No. O'Sullivan seems to have come back down to earth and the defense isn't as good as we thought they could be.

4. Who is more disappointing: Ryan Grant or Joseph Addai? Will either man step up big this week, head to head? Grant. I mean, he's averaging 3.4 yards per carry and he has zero TD's.

5. This week, will we see the Browns that got thumped by Dallas, or the Browns that whipped the Giants? I think we'll see the good Browns here. They might not win, but it'll be close.