TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 7

I'm loving the Bucs right now. The defense is just ferocious and the offense is consistently finding ways to move the ball. I'd say we're currently the 2nd best team in the NFC, right behind the Giants.

I'm loving the Bucs right now. The defense is just ferocious and the offense is consistently finding ways to move the ball. I'd say we're currently the 2nd best team in the NFC, right behind the Giants.

The same Giants who got waxed by CLEVELAND? I think it's a good time to strip them of that title.

So who would you say is the best team then? The Redskins lost to the Giants and Rams. Carolina's lost to sub .500 Minnesota and got smoked by TB. Tampa Bay has lost to sub .500 New Orleans and Denver. Atlanta got beaten 24-9 by both TB and Carolina. Arizona got blown out by the Jets and also lost to Washington and every other team in the conference has at least 3 losses already.

On a related but not really, note- I was looking at Sportsline, and there's these "grades" for NFL teams' performances week in and week out- well according to those "GPAs", the best team in the AFC is Tennessee with a 3.38 GPA, the best team in the NFC? Chicago Bears at 2.96. The Giants clock in at 2.95, just one point behind. The Bucs have a 2.81, just in case people were wondering.

This tells me that the Bears look very impressive in their wins (except against Minnesota, defensively), and in their three losses, blew it in the end. The Bears could easily be 7-0. It's silly to say this, but they are definitely the best 4-3 team in the league so far.

Is that the same Chicago team that gave up 41 points at home to Minnesota yesterday? I like the Bears all right and they're obviously getting a lot more out of their "skill position" guys than anyone predicted, but they're hardly the best team in the NFC. What are they basing these grades on?

First of all, I already acknowledged their poor defense yesterday. Second of all, I didn't personally claim they were the best team in the NFC. I said that this grading system makes them the best team in the NFC. I don't know what they grade on, but this is the average for the entire season up to this point. So I guess Bears gets a lot of "A" performances and very few performances that ranks below a "C". And thirdly you cannot deny that the Bears could easily be 7-0, even in that game against your Bucs. I think that makes them a playoff level team, who probably won't go much further into the playoffs.

My personal opinion is this: The best team in the NFC has to be Tampa or Carolina. Tampa if Garcia stays, Carolina if Gruden tinkers with that again.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you personally believe Chicago to be the best in the NFC. I was questioning how Sportsline came to those grades, is all. And Garcia has been flawless in his two games since being reinserted as the starter, so he'll be the guy unless he gets hurt. I suspect that you're right about Chicago winning their division and being a playoff team, as I'm really liking Orton right now.

Day off work, and sat through 3 matches, all pretty decent.

Packers were immense. Matt Young has got to be happy with what he saw. Aaron Rodgers; is he everything you hoped for?

Packers were immense. Matt Young has got to be happy with what he saw. Aaron Rodgers; is he everything you hoped for?

No, we were stuck with the fucking Raiders game here in that time slot. :angry:

Guest Vitamin X
Supposedly Brett Favre may have called Detroit Lions with tips on how to beat the Packers last month. Of course it didn't work, as evident by Detroit's record, but if true, that's something despicable.

Linky

Report out that Favre was out to "sabotage" Packers.

He denied it, of course. But still.. wow.

Yeah. Anyways, my thoughts are that first off, it's really amusing because apparently it didn't do shit since we destroyed the Lions 48-25. That late almost-comeback in the 3rd that Detroit had made me almost think that they had something on our defense, but it looked more like we had information on their offense judging by the way we picked off Kitna three times in the 4th, two returned for touchdowns. If this was Dallas or Atlanta or Tampa Bay, maybe they could say something about it (especially Tampa Bay since the offense arguably had their worst game there and Gruden is supposedly Favre's "pal"), but Detroit? Rodgers could come out of the huddle and point deep Babe Ruth style and they'd still get yards out of it.

Another thing that's amusing about it is that Favre was infamous for frequently playing outside of the playbook and one of the bigger reasons they would have had a hard time taking him back is because the offense has changed to suit Rodgers' skills (who does play much more within the system than Favre did, although he does have a knack for improvisation as evidenced by his running plays). So, the information would have been useless anyways. This is still a really shameful act, and I'm wondering how it's going to affect his reception in Wisconsin post-retirement.

Okay Chris, a couple things I found quirky in your post. First of all, we call them games, not matches. And second of all, if you want to be a real football fan you'll refer to that game your countrymen love as soccer instead. :P

I hate "who is currently the best team discussions" regarding the NFL, because with only 16 games, the season is so short that a single bad week can make people start talking crazy.

If anything I'd wait until at least mid-way through November(If not DECEMBER) and see where all the teams stand by then. At least by then, some teams will be eliminated from playoff contention, while others are fighting for homefield advantage, byes, etc etc....right now, in most divisions, no team is an upset or two away from going from 1st - 3rd or better/worse.

Teams have bad weeks, teams sleepwalk through games sometimes. Is it an excuse? Sure, but it happens and everyone knows it.

There is a reason teams hardly ever go 16-0, 15-1, hell 14-2 is barely achieved, (Yes I know some of these have happened on occassion).

Add to that, the fact that most teams are one key injury or two away from being a very different team.

Me too. I was ready to just slit my wrists around the 6th procedure penalty that was called on the Raiders.

Laurence Maroney is out for the season with a shoulder injury, so now New England has no passing game OR running game. It's going to get real ugly real fast tonight.

Okay Chris, a couple things I found quirky in your post. First of all, we call them games, not matches. And second of all, if you want to be a real football fan you'll refer to that game your countrymen love as soccer instead. :P

He calls the field a pitch, too. :P

I should be upset about how the Chargers are doing but I'm not and I don't know why.

Because they get in as the Wild Card that no one wants to face this year... which means they lose probably in the AFC Championship again :(

Also,

Wonder if he gets fined for that one.

Me too. I was ready to just slit my wrists around the 6th procedure penalty that was called on the Raiders.

Laurence Maroney is out for the season with a shoulder injury, so now New England has no passing game OR running game. It's going to get real ugly real fast tonight.

Maroney has been a non-factor on this team for a long time.

So. Sammy Morris has a monster game and Matt Cassel plays with Brady-like efficiency as the Pats crush Denver to keep their season afloat. New England is like that thing from the movie The Thing That Wouldn't Die. They won't die.

Good God, the Broncos defense is awful. The fifth-string running back was gashing them for fuck's sake!

Cassell had a good game statistically, but I found myself yelling "Just get rid of it!" to the TV far too much. He needs to learn to just dump the ball to a back or throw it away if there's nothing downfield.

I hate "who is currently the best team discussions" regarding the NFL, because with only 16 games, the season is so short that a single bad week can make people start talking crazy.

If anything I'd wait until at least mid-way through November(If not DECEMBER) and see where all the teams stand by then. At least by then, some teams will be eliminated from playoff contention, while others are fighting for homefield advantage, byes, etc etc....right now, in most divisions, no team is an upset or two away from going from 1st - 3rd or better/worse.

Teams have bad weeks, teams sleepwalk through games sometimes. Is it an excuse? Sure, but it happens and everyone knows it.

There is a reason teams hardly ever go 16-0, 15-1, hell 14-2 is barely achieved, (Yes I know some of these have happened on occassion).

Add to that, the fact that most teams are one key injury or two away from being a very different team.

This. Especially since some teams have yet to play more than one division game or any division road games. Waaayy too early to be making any sweeping proclamations.

EDIT: Though, that hasn't stopped me before...so, ignore me as per usual. Thanks.