TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/21 - 10/26

Pittsburgh should probably never be ranked nationally. They always end up playing horribly when they are. They're down 48-31 to Rutgers right now at the end of the 3rd Quarter. Mike Teel threw 6 TD passes. LeSean McCoy has answered with 4 rushing TDs, but they're down to the #2 QB.

With three timeouts left you go for it on 4th and 6th inside your own 30? Cue someone posting the Mike Gundy "I'm a Man" picture.

Um, holy shit again. UVA 24, GT 17, and Virginia is going to be first in the Coastal division unless VT's third-stringer can mount a big comeback. You've gotta be kidding me.

Virginia, who looked like the one of the worst teams in the country a month into the season, is about to move into sole possession of first place (unless VaTech can comeback) of the ACC Coastal division. The ACC is by far and away the most fascinating clusterfuck of a conference to ever be assembled.

Edit: Should have figured Edwin would beat me to it.

Louisville beats South Florida 24-20.

Pittsburgh should probably never be ranked nationally. They always end up playing horribly when they are. They're down 48-31 to Rutgers right now at the end of the 3rd Quarter. Mike Teel threw 6 TD passes. LeSean McCoy has answered with 4 rushing TDs, but they're down to the #2 QB.

Now 55-34. Before this game Rutgers had scored a total of 79 points against I-A competition all year!

Well OSU loses, maybe that'll shut up all the damn OSU fans calling into the radio stations around here. Then again, I wish OU would just lose another game and get shunted out of the BCS picture because our defense is horrendous and I don't really want to suffer that kind of embarassment again. I'd rather just see them make a Cotton or Holiday Bowl trip and try to fix the D for next season.

And here I thought nothing could be worse than losing to Bowling Green. Giving up 54 points to fucking Rutgers at home?!? I'd fire Wannstedt for that display alone.

On the other side, the good showings by Georgia and Florida today will help hype up the WGOCP next week

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't get this acronym.

He's off by a letter, it's WLOCP for World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.

Also known as this:

173304_1785313_1_big.jpg

oh, I thought it was "World's Greatest Outdoor..."

Missouri lambasts Colorado 58-0 to round out a day of lopsided Big 12 football

On a note for massive chokejobs...

Georgia Southern beat Western Carolina in OT 38-31. GS scored 28 points in the 4th quarter and scored 5 unanswered TD after being down 31-3!

SE Missouri State beat #19 Tennessee State 27-20 in OT. SE scored 17 points in the 4th quarter. TS made a FG with 29 seconds left but SE made a 37 yarder as time expired in the 4th... ouch.

Other scores of note

#4 Wofford stomped #3 Elon 55-20

#2 App State beat #18 Furman 26-14

#1 James Madison barely got past #7 Villanova 23-19 thanks to a 35 yard TD pass from Rodney Landers as time expired in the 4th quarter.

Thank God the Buckeyes lost. Now if I decide to head down to campus the odds of my car being flipped over and set on fire are actually pretty low.

Penn State has ended our long national nightmare! Also they now just need to avoid pulling a West Virginia to go undefeated.

Great win for Penn State, and not just because they're still in The National Championship hunt. Mainly, I don't have worry about Ohio St. sucking it up in The National Championship game for a 3rd straight year. Whew!

Yay, U of L actually managed to win a substantial conf. game today vs. USF. I actually thought that one could happen though, given USF's constant struggles at Papa John's. The Big East is such a total ass conference...who knows who will come out of it? I'd say the U of L vs. WVU winner in a few weeks might have the best shot.

And yes, thank you Penn State.

Penn State has ended our long national nightmare! Also they now just need to beat an extremely good Iowa team on the road when they're still on a little bit of a letdown to go undefeated.

FYP. They have the bye week, so that should help them, but Iowa's no pushover. They're currently ranked #10 in the country by Sagarin predictor.

Why would any ratings have Iowa at #10? They aren't that good. They might give Penn St. a game, but with it being hyped as a trap game I would think Penn St. would be ready.

Minnesota is a dark horse to run the table as crazy as it sounds. They are 7-1 right now and have one road game left vs. a mediocre Wisconsin, with home games that are winnable vs. Northwestern, Michigan, and Iowa. Maybe they run that table and end up 11-1 so they can get maimed 55-10 in the Rose Bowl by USC, though I do think OSU would still have a tiebreaker over them for 2nd place in the Big 10.

Iowa's defense is as good as anyone's in the country. They currently rank #5 in scoring defense and #20 in total defense, having not given up more than 20 in a game all year. And that's against a pretty tough schedule. There have been some close losses that hurt their record, but the talent's there and the offense seems to be coming together the last couple weeks, putting up 45 points on Indiana and 38 on Wisconsin. I'm expecting that when the lines come out next week, Iowa will be about a 3 point underdog at home and I'd be happy to bet the Hawkeyes at that price.

Maybe they run that table and end up 11-1 so they can get maimed 55-10 in the Rose Bowl by USC, though I do think OSU would still have a tiebreaker over them for 2nd place in the Big 10.

Yeah, it's called "No way does the Rose Bowl committee ever choose Minnesota over OSU".

New coaches poll:

USA Today Poll

1. Texas (58) 8-0 1,522

2. Alabama 8-0 1,439

3. Penn State (3) 9-0 1,414

4. Oklahoma 7-1 1,265

5. Texas Tech 8-0 1,246

6. USC 6-1 1,228

7. Florida 6-1 1,199

8. Georgia 7-1 1,137

9. Utah 8-0 987

10. Oklahoma State 7-1 972

11. Boise State 7-0 894

12. TCU 8-1 813

13. Ohio State 7-2 752

14. Missouri 6-2 740

15. LSU 5-2 573

16. Florida State 6-1 546

17. Brigham Young 7-1 545

18. Tulsa 7-0 524

19. Ball State 8-0 445

20. Minnesota 7-1 403

21. Michigan State 7-2 292

22. North Carolina 6-2 232

23. South Florida 6-2 153

24. Oregon 6-2 150

25. Maryland 6-2 71

Others Receiving Votes

Georgia Tech 48, Kansas 40, California 40, West Virginia 35, Notre Dame 25, Connecticut 24, Pittsburgh 23, Northwestern 11, Louisville 9, Boston College 9, Virginia 7, Fresno State 6, Wake Forest 4, Arizona 2.

Dropped From Rankings

Kansas 18, Pittsburgh 20, Georgia Tech 21, Northwestern 24.

Looks like Texas Tech leaps up due to an impressive win over Kansas. TCU inches every closer to the top 10 and if they beat Utah they could end up being a 1-loss small conference BCS buster. Wouldn't that be cool?

BCS Rankings

1. Texas

2. Alabama

3. Penn State

4. Oklahoma

5. USC

6. Georgia

7. Texas Tech

8. Florida

9. Oklahoma State

10. Utah

11. Boise State

12. Ohio State

13. TCU

14. Missouri

15. Florida State

16. Ball State

17. Minnesota

18. Tulsa

19. LSU

20. BYU

21. Michigan State

22. North Carolina

23. South Florida

24. Oregon

25. Connecticut

If Oklahoma doesn't win their division and is still in the 2 to 3 range in the BCS at the end of the season, I think the backlash in the polls could allow even USC to catch them. For some reason, the media just decided that teams that don't win their conference don't belong in the title game no matter how arbitrary a factor it is. A one-loss Georgia or Florida would definitely catch OU in that scenario as well.

If they do somehow go 12-1 after winning a 3-way tiebreak with Texas and Texas Tech for the division, I think the only way they could still get caught is if a one-loss Georgia or Florida beats a 12-0 Alabama team in the SECCG.