TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2008 World Series: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Tampa Bay Rays

World Series Poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How many players on the Rays can Joe Buck & Tim McCarver name?

• 5+
    • "John Madden manages the Rays?"

Gm 1    Philadelphia Phillies @ Tampa Bay Rays    Wed    Oct. 22    8:00 PM    FOX
Gm 2    Philadelphia Phillies @ Tampa Bay Rays    Thu    Oct. 23    8:00 PM    FOX
Gm 3    Tampa Bay Rays @ Philadelphia Phillies    Sat    Oct. 25    8:00 PM    FOX
Gm 4    Tampa Bay Rays @ Philadelphia Phillies    Sun    Oct. 26    8:00 PM    FOX
Gm 5*    Tampa Bay Rays @ Philadelphia Phillies    Mon    Oct. 27    8:00 PM    FOX
Gm 6*    Philadelphia Phillies @ Tampa Bay Rays    Wed    Oct. 29    8:00 PM    FOX
Gm 7*    Philadelphia Phillies @ Tampa Bay Rays    Thu    Oct. 30    8:00 PM    FOX

After four straight duds, let's hope for a seven game thriller this year.

I wish Al Keiper were alive to see this.

I'm partial to the Rays, but could stand to see the Phillies take it, so long as it isn't a complete thrashing. The Phillies played two of the more inferior teams to make it to the postseason, so it'll be interesting to see how they stack up against one of baseball's best.

Under the old scheduling, I'd miss game 4. Under this schedule, I'll miss games 1, 5, & 6. If I cared about either of these teams, I'd be pissed.

The past 4 World Series have all been beatdowns. I don't see this one being any different. I'll take the Rays in either 4 or 5, with maybe Hamels getting the lone Phillies win.

As we discussed in the chat last night, similar to Rodriguez and Torre from last year, "Will or won't Manny re-sign with LA?" will get more press time than the actual WS

Guest Smues

I'll go the other way with this, and predict Phils in 4 or 5. Just so when it happens I can point to this post when the Phillies fans say how EVERYone expected the Rays to steamroll them.

I'm hoping for the Rays to win though, and an actual good competitive series wouldn't be bad either.

Guest Smues
Did you win the World Series ticket lottery, Smues?

Not for games 1 & 2. Go figure so far all I got drawn for was the game that didn't happen. They'll draw seperately for 6 and 7 if they happen.

Who should the Phillies use as DH i say Greg Dobbs. It Keeps Feliz's glove at third all series long and gives us Dobbs' bat for the first two and last two games. Stairs stays on the bench as a pinch hit homer threat and you still have Bruntlett, Jenkins and Taguchi as defensive replacements for Burrell.

What about the low ratings for this series though?

What about them? Assuming both teams keep playing how they have been, it should be a great series regardless of what the ratings are, or what the pundits on the four letter network say about "No one cares about these teams."

My feeling on this one is Rays in six. The Phillies are 17-31 the last three years in interleague play. They never inspire much confidence in me when they play against the American League. I was planning on Rays in five, but I think in a 3-1 hole Hamels pitches the Phillies back to St. Petersburg.

From a viewership standpoint, I see a lot to like in this series. Back in 2004, minor league analysts were hard pressed to pick the better prospect between Cole Hamels and Scott Kazmir. They match up in game one. Game four looks like Blanton vs. Sonnanstine, that could turn out to be a battle of team defense. And who's better. Pena or Howard? Crawford or Burrell? Victorino or Upton? Jamie Moyer will be the oldest player in MLB history to make his World Series debut. And what about David Price?

I should have net service back at the house Wednesday, and we'll have World Series chats fired up.

I think this Series is a toss up. I say Rays in 7 just because I see another no history Florida team breaking the hearts of an angst ridden city like Marlins vs. Indians in 1997.

Rays in 6.. much like how their series against Boston went.

Split the series at home, go to Philly..throw game 5 by just throwing someone out on the mound then come home to close it out.

My prediction? Rays in 6. What I want? Phillies in 7.

Against any other NL opponent besides the Dodgers, I'd root for the Rays as I love to see underdogs win out. But fellow GHS alum Jayson Werth is on the Phillies, and it'd be awesome to see an acquaintance of mine- only hung out with him a couple times years ago, but still, reppin' the school- get a ring.

Guest Smues
ESPN Classic is showing the World Series film from 1980.

Liar. 1980's baseball is not Poker, so I do not believe it was shown on ESPN Classic.

Guest Smues

*Usual post about how awful MLB forcing God Bless America down our throats during the post season is*