TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2008 World Series: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Tampa Bay Rays

World Series Poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How many players on the Rays can Joe Buck & Tim McCarver name?

• 5+
    • "John Madden manages the Rays?"

It's the next morning, and somehow Philadelphia is still standing. This is absolutely fantastic for this sports fan, who had never seen any favorite win a championship in his lifetime. For all but one player, this is their first World Championship. And it's something that even coming into the playoffs, I never could have expected.

I've been alive for previous championships, but was a little too young to remember/appreciate them (5 in '80 for the Phillies, 8 in '83 for the 76ers), so this is the 1st I've actually seen live.

Confession time - I thought the Phillies should've traded Cole Hamels before he made it to the bigs (and I might have said it on these boards). This was back when he kept getting arm injuries in the minors, and I just thought he'd never pan out as a big-league pitcher, so I wanted them to trade him while he still had value. Looks like I was a little off on that assessment.

As for the player I'm happiest for, I'll have to go w/ Pat Burrell. He's had an up & down career, but he managed to come around these last 1.5 seasons, and finally came through w/ a huge hit in what is likely his last at-bat as a Phillie. I always liked Pat, even when he was barely hitting above .200.

Don't worry, I was on the "make him a reliever" bandwagon when that sprung up last spring during his back problems.

Burrell is definitely the guy to root for. It would have sucked (well, not really but you get my drift) if they had won and he hadn't contributed. He would have become an afterthought.

I am equally amped for and terrified of the scene tomorrow. Currently trying to decide how early to get there.

Now that the WS is over, we can get to the real meat of baseball...

Namely: "Will or won't Manny resign with the Dodgers?"

I was so out of touch with the Phillies this year that when Buck was going over Lidge's stats in the 9th I was completely awestruck.

The last time I checked in on Brad Lidge he was still Pujols' bitch and shaky as a closer and now he's '98 Mariano Rivera?

Yeah... I had no idea.

I enjoy the reaction of the color guy. It's like "OMG, OMG OMG wait, I gotta mark this on my scorecard OMG OMG OMG!"

Edited by KingPK

The full list:

Minneapolis - October 1991 (Twins)

Washington - January 1992 (Redskins)

Bay Area - January 1995 (49ers)

Atlanta - October 1995 (Braves)

Dallas - June 1999 (Stars)

Denver - June 2001 (Avalanche)

Phoenix - November 2001 (Diamondbacks)

Chicago - October 2005 (White Sox)

Miami - June 2006 (Heat)

New York - February 2008 (Giants)

Detroit - June 2008 (Red Wings)

Boston - June 2008 (Celtics)

Philadelphia - October 2008 (Phillies)

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Guest Vitamin X

The Bay Area is going to be waiting for a while, poor guys. Well, I don't know how good the Sharks are, but the Niners, Raiders, Giants, A's, and Warriors... yikes.

Guest Smues

Our IT lady is obviously only very mildly a baseball fan, and she's trying to talk about last nights game to another non baseball fan down the hall, and she just repeated McCarver's "The rays lost 66 games last year." See, this is why McCarver is bad for baseball, some people actually listen to him!

I was so out of touch with the Phillies this year that when Buck was going over Lidge's stats in the 9th I was completely awestruck.

The last time I checked in on Brad Lidge he was still Pujols' bitch and shaky as a closer and now he's '98 Mariano Rivera?

Yeah... I had no idea.

Lidge's postseason ERA after '05 was 2.52, so he was always a capable postseason closer. This postseason though launched him into the stratosphere. Seven saves on his record now ranks him third all time.

Hey al, going to the parade tomorrow? Tickets for the Linc and Citizens Bank Park are already sold out (they're free), so the only room left for me will be on the sides of Broad Street.

Hey al, going to the parade tomorrow? Tickets for the Linc and Citizens Bank Park are already sold out (they're free), so the only room left for me will be on the sides of Broad Street.

Had I the day off from work, I would have taken the drive down and met up with friends. Unfortunately I'll have to settle for taping it on television.

I can try to set up my VCR and/or DVD Recorder. I will be going around 9am, and my mom has said she will try and record it for me. It'll be the Comcast SportsNet version, although I'm sure it'll be on the major local network channels.

EDIT: Luckily, my boss told me to just call off. I would have left work at 1pm anyway to go to class, but since I only have one, I'll skip it.

Here are two videos I was able to upload for the time being. I have a few more, but these are probably the best ones I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suN4IzJzEm4 - Pat Burrell leads the parade on Broad St.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZTe5agcaWU - Jimmy Rollins informs us that we're #1.

The quality isn't as good as it is being uploaded to my computer. When I watch it in Windows Media Player, it is crisp and clear and amazingly sharp. However, it gets a little grainy here, but not too bad.