TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2008 World Series: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Tampa Bay Rays

World Series Poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How many players on the Rays can Joe Buck & Tim McCarver name?

• 5+
    • "John Madden manages the Rays?"

Of course. By call the game, I mean suspend it. There is no way Philly should have had to go out there in the 6th inning and Tampa Bay not have to go out there to finish the 6th inning. The game should be restarted in the top of the 6th. Rollins doesn't drop that ball.

Rollins probably doesn't make the play at first with Upton running even if Rollins fields the ball cleanly, so using that play to say the Phillies were screwed is pushing it.

Talking about him dropping the popup. The inning before.

Tomorrow is going to be a heck of a night in the sports complex. The Sixers' home opener is at 6pm as well. Game time for the Phillies/Rays game is officially set at 8:37pm. Remember that Obama ad is set to air beforehand.

Guest Smues

Eating my free taco (plus $5.39 of other food) right now. Totally worth it. I wish it was one free taco per stolen base though.

Of course. By call the game, I mean suspend it. There is no way Philly should have had to go out there in the 6th inning and Tampa Bay not have to go out there to finish the 6th inning. The game should be restarted in the top of the 6th. Rollins doesn't drop that ball.

Rollins probably doesn't make the play at first with Upton running even if Rollins fields the ball cleanly, so using that play to say the Phillies were screwed is pushing it.

Talking about him dropping the popup. The inning before.

Gotcha.

Still, how would replaying the top of the 6th be fair to Tampa Bay, especially since they tied the game.

Oh, it makes no sense to replay it. I'm miffed that they didn't suspend the game after the 5th inning. It's unfair the Phillies didn't get a chance to bat in those same conditions that the Rays did to finish the inning. That's the only reason the situation pissed me off. (It's easier to hit in weather like that, which is why I think it's unfair.)

Congrats Phillies.

While I wanted the Rays to win, at least the Brewers were beat by the eventual World Champions. How ironic that Geoff Jenkins finally has a World Series ring, just after leaving Milwaukee.

I am happy for Jenkins, that he actually got to contribute. He has been playing the cheerleader to perfection while only getting in to be a decoy for most of the postseason.

This still feels so weird.

This was probably one of the best 5 game World Series ever in terms of actual play. Only game 4 was a blowout (10-2) while all of the other Philly wins were 1 run games that came down to the last pitch. It's a shame it will always be remembered as either "The lowest rated World Series of all time" or as "The Series with all the rain delays."

For the Rays to actually win a World Series they need a dominant #1 starter and maybe one more hitter that can at least bat .300 for the year. Price can perhaps be that ace at least.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
at least the Brewers were beat by the eventual World Champions.

(variation on the)SPORTS TRANSITIVE PROPERTY!

I don't dig that. It doesn't mean anything to me. The Bulls lost to the Heat in the first round of the 2006 playoffs. Did that mitigate the fact that the Bulls lost the series? No. Not really. It's not like teams gather the spirits of their vanquished foes to fight on their behalf. Are White Sox fans supposed to feel better that they lost to the Rays, who in turn were only defeated by the Phillies? The Angels lost to the Red Sox, who lost to the Rays, who lost to the Phillies. I guess you can go lower than a first-round exit after 100 wins! They were only beaten by eventual losers!

My 2008 WS anecdote:

I'm talking with this girl right now and she had my over for win a shitty horror movies tonight. She's got roommate, so they were watching with us. I texted my friend at one point to ask the score. He said the game was over and I text back, "I'd be furious if I weren't intoxicated and sitting next to Sara right now." My friend never got the text. Why? Because I accidentally sent it TO Sara, who just happens to be before my friend in my phone book. Talk about your red-face moments. Drunk texting = bad.

My 2008 WS anecdote:

I'm talking with this girl right now and she had my over for win a shitty horror movies tonight. She's got roommate, so they were watching with us. I texted my friend at one point to ask the score. He said the game was over and I text back, "I'd be furious if I weren't intoxicated and sitting next to Sara right now." My friend never got the text. Why? Because I accidentally sent it TO Sara, who just happens to be before my friend in my phone book. Talk about your red-face moments. Drunk texting = bad.

I think Bruiser's still drunk. This is his most incoherent post ever.

I don't know what it is, but I just didn't get into this Series. Maybe I'm just a bad baseball fan that falls into the trap of wanting Boston/NY/Chicago/LA. Or maybe it's the fact that MLB has developed a playoff system that is completely anticlimactic after a great regular season. Oh well, congrats to the Phils and the Rays. Philadelphia had a fine squad this year and that city was about due for a title. The Rays have a tough division, but I have a sneaking suspicion they'll be back in the Series before too long.

There was some truly awful defense and baserunning by the Rays in this one. Bartlett's blind charge was just the icing on the cake.

Oh well, fuck 'em. Congrats to Philly and TSM Brotherly Love.

Is it? I'll check back in the morning when I'm not drunk.

Well, temporarily ignoring the fact that the first couple of sentences are plagued by bad grammar and spelling, the anecdote itself makes little to no sense.

You indicate that you ask your friend for the score, to which he replies that the game is over. This makes you angry. Why? Is it because the Phillies won? That you missed a close game? We've already established that you chose shitty horror movie night with Sara over the Series. What changed between that decision and the conclusion of the ballgame?

Secondly, we must address this mysterious text message that ends up in Sara's hands. If you wanted to respond to your friend's text, why not hit reply? Who goes back into their phone book to compose a new message? That's drunk texting 101.

Finally, the message that ended up in Sara's inbox. What was so embarrassing? It even sounds cute. You chose a night with her over a stupid ballgame. Chicks love that shit. It's not like you sent a message that said "I'm going to try and hump this slut."

I honestly do know know what to say I cant believe this actually happened.

I do want to say this before i forget.

RIP Johnny Marz!

You were the biggest fan with the biggest heart of this Team. You always pulled for them when even they didnt believe in themselves. You were OUR Angel in the Outfield.

Is it? I'll check back in the morning when I'm not drunk.

Well, temporarily ignoring the fact that the first couple of sentences are plagued by bad grammar and spelling, the anecdote itself makes little to no sense.

Holy shit, you're right. I just read the first sentence and even though it involves me, I didn't know what it was trying to say. Long story short, she'd invited me to this thing on Sunday when Game 5 was originally not slated to last 72 hours. So I didn't want to break that off, even though I knew it meant missing out on the last few innings of a possibly clinching game.

You indicate that you ask your friend for the score, to which he replies that the game is over. This makes you angry. Why? Is it because the Phillies won? That you missed a close game? We've already established that you chose shitty horror movie night with Sara over the Series. What changed between that decision and the conclusion of the ballgame?

I guess it was because I wanted the series to last five games. After the great seven-game series, this felt a bit anti-climatic. I don't mind the Phillies winning, since the team itself is made up of mostly good guys.

Secondly, we must address this mysterious text message that ends up in Sara's hands. If you wanted to respond to your friend's text, why not hit reply? Who goes back into their phone book to compose a new message? That's drunk texting 101.

As for not just hitting reply, I closed the phone before deciding to reply. I guess I just decide to create a new message instead of replying to the actual message.

Finally, the message that ended up in Sara's inbox. What was so embarrassing? It even sounds cute. You chose a night with her over a stupid ballgame. Chicks love that shit. It's not like you sent a message that said "I'm going to try and hump this slut."

True. She didn't seem to care, except for that I had misspelled "furious." V's and U's look too similar on my phone, especially with the aid of alcohol.

Or maybe it's the fact that MLB has developed a playoff system that is completely anticlimactic after a great regular season.

Two division champions in the WS is anticlimatic? Not really.