TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NFL Week 8

So Tampa's offensive woes on the road continued yesterday. There were several dropped passes, some overthrows by Garcia, and no running game to speak of. The defense--despite their almost complete inability to tackle Marion Barber--played pretty well, other than on the last drive of the first half when they gave up about 40 yards in penalties and Dallas scored the game's only touchdown. When you only give up 13 points to Dallas's offense, you kinda expect to win the game. But for whatever reason, we can't score points on the road right now. Very frustrating.

Anyone see this? It happened Friday, so if you know about it, it's old news. However, John Elway came out in support of McCain. And in this election, Elway says McCain only needs a "field goal" to win this thing. Are you that field goal, John?

Elway projected nothing but confidence in McCain’s ability to turn the race around. “I know a thing or two about comebacks,” he said. “I cannot wait until November 4 when you once again prove those pundits wrong.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/10/24/j...oal-to-victory/

Why is it that athletes and almost everyone associated with athletics at the professional level is conservative? I'm guessing it's their millions and millions of dollars of personal wealth.

Big win for Houston today..everything seemed to click on both sides of the ball and it was great to see us play a game from beginning to end for once.

I did nearly bust a hole in my wall after slamming my fist into the same spot due to the two bullshit penalties called on the Texans.

First, the hit on a "defenseless" player. The fuck? He wasn't down.. he was still an active player and its not like our player dove headlong into him to try and incapacitate the fucker..

secondly, the celebration penalty. Again... the fuck???! That wasn't much of a celebration and it only last what.. five seconds.. maybe ten at the max?

Next week at Minnesota will be huge for us..if we win, we're at .500 but it makes the losses to our division that much harder to swallow.

The first one was a tough call, I probably wouldn't have thrown a flag, but another Texan drilled Housh when he was on the ground a couple plays before (That play becomes more relevant considering the Walter-Joseph play)

The second was called because it was a group celebration.

Why is it that athletes and almost everyone associated with athletics at the professional level is conservative? I'm guessing it's their millions and millions of dollars of personal wealth.

You're talking about the "non-brothers" right?

EDIT: Probably goes without saying.

I always just kind of assumed that the black athletes eventually converted to conservatism once they got used to being rich and started paying attention to their finances. Could be wrong on that one.

Re: Group celebration

Yeah, but the sack earlier in the game with a few of the D-line guys dancing around didn't get flagged and that lasted longer than Robinson's little dance.

Broward, why would you ever expect NFL officials to be consistent in their calls?

The thing I don't get about the endzone celebration thing is this--a penalty is called when it's excessive group celebration, props are involved, or it draws too much attention to a single player, right?

Why then was TO called for a penalty in week 1 when he fired out of imaginary starting blocks (a la Usain Bolt) but each and every time someone does the Lambeau Leap, there is no call? How is THAT any less "attention-seeking" or "taunting" or *insert whatever buzzword Goodell is using this season* than firing out of imaginary starting blocks?

I think the worst celebration penalty was on the "soccer" celebration in the Saints game. I guess it's basically the same thing as the TO call from week 1, but the NFL are supposed to be trying to establish themselves overseas and the guy plays to the London crowd for 2 seconds and it's a 15 yard penalty. The fans cheered like crazy for the celebration and went nuts when the penalty was called.

sfaJack, why would you ever expect NFL officials to be consistent in their calls?

Point taken! But I (and other here, obviously) would just to like to know what is and what is not acceptable behavior; why is one "worse" than the other?

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

In high school, the real Football Guys were big Bush backers, too. Your quarterbacks, linebackers, and other featured players were considered successful up to that point in their lives, coming from families who were well-off and relatively educated, their dads surely high school quarterbacks themselves. The linemen were mostly coming from fat white trash that don't trust none demcrats. I suppose they wouldn't have been Republicans before 2000, at least not so reliably. Come to think of it, our art department was the only area where I don't recall some element of a right-leaning student body, even if it was just that bare minimum of adolescent conservatism, the fear of wealth redistribution that you develop when you can tell people "my dad flies planes" or "we should party on my boat."

I thought John Elway was a Democrat because he resembles a mule.

sfaJack, why would you ever expect NFL officials to be consistent in their calls?

Point taken! But I (and other here, obviously) would just to like to know what is and what is not acceptable behavior; why is one "worse" than the other?

The new celebration rule this year (as I remember) is that you can't "go down" or something equally stupid as part of a celebration. So TO bending over for a mock sprint would violate this rule, while an upright Lambeau leap would be ok, I guess.

The new celebration rule this year (as I remember) is that you can't "go down" or something equally stupid as part of a celebration. So TO bending over for a mock sprint would violate this rule, while an upright Lambeau leap would be ok, I guess.

So in theory a player scoring a touchdown and dropping to his knee and throwing up a quick prayer like a lot of players have done in the past, is 15 yards. Yeah, that's cool.

Tampa Bay at Dallas L

Washington at Detroit W

Buffalo at Miami L

St. Louis at New England W

San Diego at New Orleans @ Wembley Stadium L

Kansas City at NY Jets W

Atlanta at Philadelphia W

Oakland at Baltimore W

Arizona at Carolina W

Cleveland at Jacksonville L

Cincinnati at Houston W

NY Giants at Pittsburgh W