TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

First "CD" you ever bought

Mr. S£im Citrus' post

Me Against the World was released in 1995, wasn't it? I was under the impression that CDs were the most common method of listening to music long before then.

Mr. S£im Citrus' post

Me Against the World was released in 1995, wasn't it? I was under the impression that CDs were the most common method of listening to music long before then.

Nah, I would say not until 97-98ish.

h94731t6qcv.jpg

I think the first CD I ever bought was Metallica's S&M. I refused to switch over to CD's for a long time, because I liked tapes for some reason. I think it was because you could beat the shit out of a tape and it'd still work. And because all the music I had was on tape, either because I bought it that way to save money, or it was one of my brother's old tapes (my brother had similar musical tastes as me, so I took all his old tapes when he moved out).

That was pretty excellent, now that I think about it. Got a bunch of shit from him, old Metallica, Pantera, even Suicidal Tendencies, which I doubt I ever would've heard of otherwise.

Guest Vitamin X

nirvana-unplugged-front.jpg

Kind of a weird thing, but this was the first CD I went out and got with my own money. I was 11 at the time, watching a lot of MTV since I was trying to fit in with the "cool kids" at my new school, and a lot of them listened to Green Day and other assorted crap. I was obsessed with mid-late 90's MTV and would stay up late watching the videos (and especially Jenny McCarthy on Singled Out) so I got into Nirvana pretty heavy at this time. My musical influence, if you looked at my family, was pretty awkward. My mom was into traditional Cuban music, a lot of salsa and traditional son, my brother was a really strange guy and was HEAVILY into Ace of Base (he gave me The Sign when I was little, but that's not technically something I bought, of course), and my dad listened to a lot of really gay new age shit- we're talking Kenny G and Enya here- but he listened to jazz and some classical as well, which was alright.

Mr. S£im Citrus' post

I had a cd player in my car in 97...standard.

Neither I, nor anyone I know bought anything but a CD after 1992.

Mr. S£im Citrus' post

I had a cd player in my car in 97...standard.

Neither I, nor anyone I know bought anything but a CD after 1992.

well, sir, i DO live in the midwest...we tend to be a bit late out here.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Smash%20Mouth%20-%20Astro%20Lounge.jpg

Not a bad CD for a 7 year old boy.

It wasn't that bad! They had that cool retro-surf-lounge thing going. Kind of a mainstream Combustible Edison.

I wasn't much for buying music as a kid. I was a slave to the radio waves, yes indeedy-do. I think the first album I bought was Tubthumper in 6th grade, followed by Smash Mouth's Fush Yu Mang and a Trio compilation called, I think, Da Da Da.

As for audio media, I remember listening to Christmas albums and Disney lullabies on a CD player as early as 1990. My reliable old boombox from 1995-2001 had only cassettes, no CDs. Our old Plymouth Voyager didn't have a CD player. It didn't have air conditioning or transmission fluid near the end, either, so there you go.

Ooh, Tubthumper. I remember my dad bought that for my mom, and I liked the first two songs (one of which was the title track, of course) but the rest of it bored me. I still like the title track.

Mr. S£im Citrus' post

'95 was when I went to boot camp. I didn't have a CD player until then; didn't see a need. But, since I couldn't take my crap to boot camp with me, and was in no hurry to have it sent to me when I finished, I bought all new stuff... And, since I was able to get a portable CD player at a "reasonable" price in '95 (and had a shiny new paycheck burning a hole in my pocket), I bought one.

I believe mine was Queen- Innuendo. Either that or The Jacksons Live. Those two were my favorites when I was 7. Are we counting CDs we bought with our parents money? If it's first CD I bought with my own money, I have absolutely no idea.

^^^ Is that Robbie Williams?

Yes, it is. I have only my age at the time to blame.

Tell me that's the album that featured "Rock DJ". Holy shit, that song was so bad it was funny. The video has to be one of the worst ever. Oh what the hell, let's post it for everyone to enjoy:

Hey now! I still kind of like Robbie Williams. I mean I don't own any of his albums but I'd probably buy a reasonably priced Greatest Hits compilation. And I don't even have the excuse of being British.

The album I posted the cover of was his debut, Life Thru a Lens. 'Rock DJ' was on his 2000 release, Sing When You're Winning.

I was in the eighth grade when I picked this up at the mall:

EntertheWu-Tang.jpg

I knew that I was getting a CD player system and a Discman (rather handy, as every other weekend I took a three-hour bus trip up to Chicago to visit my dad) for Christmas, so I had to listen to it on my cousin's stereo for a couple of days.

Shortly thereafter I purchased Jerky Boys 2, The Offspring's Smash, the Above the Rim soundtrack and House of Pain's Same As It Ever Was. I was also given Pearl Jam's Vitalogy for Christmas as well.

My first CD was THE SIMPSON'S SING THE BLUES.

The first CD I listened to was AFTER THE SNOW by Modern English.

Bad and History by Michael Jackson was my first CDs after my mom and dad bought me a CD player for my 10th birthday back in 1995. I remember recording songs off the radio and televison before then.

Holy shit... We have the same name, live in the same state, and got the same first CD in the same year. *cue Twilight Zone theme*

Sadly, for my 11th birthday in 1995, I bought a Magnavox CD player/boombox and spent $30 on Michael Jackson's History. Fucking Kmart.