TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE To Now Exclusively Call Their Talent "Entertainers"

PWInsider

World Wrestling Entertainment informed all of their announcers this week to refer to their talent as "entertainers" as opposed to wrestlers or even Superstars, effective immediately.

According to numerous sources, the decision is part of a organized plan of attack towards getting WWE as a company re-classified as an entertainment touring event, as posed to a legitimate sporting event.

The internal hope within WWE management is that by doing this, they will take power away from the Athletic Commissions in certain States and keep the company from having to pay taxes on their events.

Obviously, this would also have the company benefit of preventing WWE from being held to the letter of the law in States like Georgia, who's Athletic Commission is looking at putting stricter restrictions on the professional wrestling industry following the Chris Benoit incident.

We'll have to see what comes of this and whether the strategy could even work, but that's why the change was made.

Be kinda funny if they could all join the Screen Actors Guild now just to make Vince's head explode as he tries to figure a way around that.

I have to wonder...

When Vince passes on, will all this crazy renaming crap go away, or are we stuck for it forever?

...hell, I'd take Superstars over Entertainers. At least it has some reference to the first wrestling show I ever saw, WWF Superstars.

I heard they're also going to get rid of the ring bell, and use clapboards instead.

So, after the pinfall, are they going to call "cut?"

That's a Wrap seems more appropos.

I have to wonder...

When Vince passes on, will all this crazy renaming crap go away, or are we stuck for it forever?

...hell, I'd take Superstars over Entertainers. At least it has some reference to the first wrestling show I ever saw, WWF Superstars.

I assume it will be worse, s the power structure will be all messed up and power grabs will be abundant

Be kinda funny if they could all join the Screen Actors Guild now just to make Vince's head explode as he tries to figure a way around that.

That would be the best unintentional consequence of this.

I cant wait for the "you're not entertaining me" signs.

I think I might stop watching wrestling. Having OCD and being addicted to watching since I was four years has made it very tough to quit watching totally, but it just keeps getting more ridiculous. Oh how I wish someone with a lot of money and common sense would take over an NWA promotion and make it national again.

Edit---"National," as in touring the entire country, having recognizable names and a national TV show in primetime. And you know, not be confusing as all fuck like TNA right now.

Dandy touches on a good point.. I don't see the day when I can stop watching wrestling, it's been a part of my whole life, i've been a fan for life, i've even wrestled professionally for over four years.. I don't see the day when I would ever stop being a fan.

The funny thing is.. I don't really enjoy what I see any more.

WWE calling their wrestlers entertainers, and calling their fans the WWE Universe, would seriously make you stop watching? Just be honest, it's the product and only the product that should make someone quit watching. Not a simple change of words.

Just to stir the pot a little... would re-classifying the WWE as touring entertainers have any effect on the ability of state athletic commissions to test WWE's so called "entertainers" for performance enhancing drugs? I want to believe that the in house testing is legit, but every time I look at the 40 year old Batista, among others, I have a hard time convincing myself...

Are the taxes the state athletic commissions charge for local sporting events really that much?

I heard they're also going to get rid of the ring bell, and use clapboards instead.

So, after the pinfall, are they going to call "cut?"

The cast of WWE are the ONLY entertainers in the world to get just one take King!

What a performance by JTG and John Morrison this week.

I feel like one of the 1st times in my life that my interest for pro wrestling is starting to die. I can't bare to watch SD! and watch HHH run through every upper-midcarder who has a chance to make something fresh and new in the WWE.

I flip through RAW every now and then to check out stuff from Punk, Orton, Kofi, Rhodes/Ted Jr./Manu, and Y2J... But I always tend to find myself watching MNF the majority of time during when RAW is on. There are replays, but after reading what happens during the show, it just basically makes me wanna not even bother.

With the responses in this thread, you would think this was an important issue.

I personally don't care about what they call them, I just think product is dissapointing right now, and can be potentially a lot better then it is.